Hofstra University

« See more reviews of Hofstra University

Hofstra is a very liberal school. The majority of the student body is democratic or a liberal independent. Though we do have a College Republicans organization on campus with a fair following, if you come to this school expecting a balanced political climate, you'll be in for quite a shock. Other than being very liberal politically, our campus also has a large LGBT community and is the most LGBT-friendly school on Long Island, with the majority of the population supporting gay rights and equality. In terms of dress and interaction, the students here dress like any other college campus in America. Some wear sweats and uggs to class, others dresses and heels. The environment here isn't very cliquey, however there are some distinct geographic groups. A large chunk of our campus are commuters from the nearby Long Island areas, then there's the new yorkers and New Jerseyans, the large chunk from the nearby Eastern states of Massachusetts, Pennsylvania, etc. And the rest of the country, the group that I'm in--coming from Colorado. Before coming here, reading reviews I saw many complaints about the "entitled" population here due to the cost of the school. However, most of the kids I've met are on scholarship with student loans, just like any other school. While there are some individuals who act more entitled than others, they don't make up a prevalent chunk of the population. In general, the school is very diverse and politically aware, making it an interesting place to learn about others and expand your horizons.

I think that many diverse groups of students are represented on campus. I don't really think that anyone should feel out of place here at Hofstra because there are so many different groups of people. I mean, if you were to say that you felt out of place, I'm sure that everyone here could identify with the reasons you give, because with such a diverse population, there are enough differences between people that it's difficult to find a group of people with identical traits and interests. There is a big divide in the student body between students involved in "Greek Life" (Fraternities and Sororities) and everyone else, because students involved in Greek Life generally consider themselves better than everyone else. The exception is students involved in departmental honors fraternities.

The students on campus are very open minded. The students here are very diverse and no one finds it odd. There are groups, but its not based on race or religion. Students tend to hang out more with people who have similar majors or are in similar clubs, but they aren't objective to seeing other people. A lot of the students here are from Long Island or New York in general but then there are also people from places like Ohio (me for example) and California and Oregon and Colorado, Hofstra students come from all over the place. The students here all have their own passion; some are very active in the arts, some are very active in politics, and some are just passionate about their major. There really is a place for everyone on campus.

There are many diverse groups on campus, not that i mind. I thiknk a lot of different people would be happy here, i have met so many people. I would not say it is a close knit community although i have had several people be in more than one of my classes and you can get to know people inside your major. I know most professors better than students. The students are mostly liberal - i get a lot of liberal propoganda. I am conservative but it doesn't really bother me. New York is liberal so i expect the campus to be too, plus college kids tend to be more liberal than adults.

I love my friends, by the way I am roman catholic, so we went to the mass every sunday, sometimes wednesday. I feel go to church together really helped to bound our friendship. Hofstra is a free school, so people can wear whatever they want to class, specially during the halloween. I feel this is really very fun. Girls are most fashion and guys wear the same clothes always. I am not so sure about the financial backgrounds for most of the students at my school. But they all owns a car... so I will say their financial ability are at the middle class level.

Racial divide is pretty large, not alot of mixing between caucasians and other ethnicities. The Long Island girls (of which there are quite a few) couldn't give a shit about politics, they're more interested in the latest Project Runway and what new overly priced outfit Juicy Couture just came out with. We have an LGBT community, primarily focused in (surprise) the art and drama departments, as well as a very active Gay-Straight Alliance. Of which they just hosted a Hofstra Drag Show - sexy. This is not a school for nerds or art students.

My fellow classmates are the most motley crew I think anyone could find. There are so many people who look so different and think so differently and at first, it truly seemed that I wouldn't be able to fit in with the myriad personalities represented, but I was wrong. It was because of the differences that I was able to assimilate so perfectly, because no matter how different I was, every one else was equally different and it brought us much closer together than I think we ever would have been if every one was the same.

Classmates can seem to come from all walks of life. I sit next to a lot of what have been come to be known as "Hofstra girls," the party girls that all have the same hair and the same jackets and the same lack of pants - here at Hofstra, they love their leggings. But it turns out they're not the only population! I love the diversity of attitudes that I've found in my classes. The students that aren't wearing the leggings (or, for the men, the sports jackets) are artists, intellectuals, gamers, comedians, writers...

It is almost as if I am in a room full of mannequins. The plastic, stoic girls are all wearing the same outift. Dark brown Uggs with Hollister jeans rolled in. A North Face pullover with long locks bouncing down the stairs with Blackberries stuck to their ears. Sure, there are the ones that stand out, only because they choose to wear a thrift store sweater or a clean pair of converse. And of course, the boys sit in the back and attempt to stake their claim as every carbon cut out girl enters through the door.

There are about a billion socio-cultural groups and clubs on campus. You're definitely going to find a niche where you fit in. Although these certain clubs do exist, don't be surprised if certain prejudices occur, because I've seen it happen. Most students here are either politically left of center, or don't care about politics at all. Hofstra is similar to a high school, where you'll find different groups of people where you can fit in, but there's little interaction between the groups.