Hofstra University

« See more reviews of Hofstra University

Greek life is huge if you're in Greek life. If you're not, it's not. Same with athletes. Hofstra is known for its bars across the street, which are attended by many and if you've been here for a year and never been, that's pretty shocking. Honors College has a lot of perks to it; they're always sending kids to free shows/sports events/etc. And there are free movies in the Student Center every weekend, which is great. We have a lot of events going on here, it's just a matter of taking advantage. Drinking is big, but it doesn't have to be. There are definitely those groups that never do it and groups that don't do it all the time. The city is so close and while it's expensive, it's a great asset to have close by.

SO many on campus clubs, etc. It's also very easy to start one. However, finding enough other students who want to dedicate themselves to your group is slightly trickier. Many wonderful speakers come because of our close proximity to Manhattan, but unfortunately the majority of the seats are empty. Saturday night NOT drinking: either go into Manhattan (which I do often) and go dancing, to a museum, out to eat, etc. (all unfortunately very expensive,) or do nothing. There is a mall and movie theater in Hempstead if you have a car, and there are often events on campus such as movies or events put on by different clubs, but overall not that many students attend weekend events.

There are alot of greek societies. Students in dorms mostly do not leave the door open (it's not allowed). I wouldn't know about athletic events, but guest speakers and events usually don't have a high turnout. More people are likely to show up if there is food. It seems students like to go out drinking and to bars and parties. Fraternities and sororities seem common. There are sometimes movies shown on campus on weekends. One bus on Sundays takes you to the mall and picks you up from the mall at a certain time. Off campus, people probably drink. There are good groups on campus too that like to participate in volunteer work, fundraising, spreading awareness, etc.

there are absolutely tons of extracurriculars to get involved with. my favorite is hall council (especially liberty/republic halls). you're not supposed to prop your doors which is very disappointing, especially for new students hoping to make friends. there are a lot of fraternities and sororities, and i personally really don't like Greek Week, when they have pretty much non-stop events and competitions and parties in the spring. we're really close to the beach, as well as a good deal of diners, and are a 50 minute LIRR train ride from the city, so there's plentiful weekend options. also Roosevelt Field Mall is very nice, if you're into that thing.

So we have giant BBQs every year on the Intramural fields on the dorm side of campus. One in the Fall and one in the Spring, with a club fair, live bands, free food, usually one of those bounce house things, so much fun. A lot of times in good weather organizations will do events right outside on the quad so you can stop by on the way to class even! The campus is really centralized around our Student Center, so you can almost always run into someone you know a few times throughout your day. I met a bunch of my friends from joining an intramural basketball team at the gym with the guys in my building!

People mostly party wednesday-saturday night. A lot of people leave their doors opened, and its good to invite everyone in your building to party in your room. On the weekends if you dont want to drink then you could go to the city and find something to do, but everyone mostly just drinks. Sporting events aren't really that popular, they try to give away free stuff to get students to go. Basketball games are probably the most popular event. Frats/Sororities are very important, many students are involved, and if you are involved you only hang out with others in greek life. It is very clicky.

There are tons to do on campus! There are always clubs and activities going on. There are free movies, events, and social gatherings. There is never a shortage of things to do. I really love Hofstra for that. I am a person who often gets invovled with extracurricular activity, and I am trying to get into activities on campus. I've joined a few clubs, been to a few cultural shows. I have also been to several civic events where guest speakers come and speak about a wide variety of topics. Once you get involved in campus activities, you start to meet new people. It is a great feeling.

Greek life, Sport clubs and Student Government top the list of student interests on campus. Students are very friendly overall towards one another. Guest speakers and athletic events have a decent attendance but hardly ever standing room only. The dating scene is mostly non-existent. A lot of students prefer hook ups. Greek Life is important but definitely not required. Students involved are very busy and do a lot on campus but those not involved have a good time too. There are concerts, festivals, movie nights on the weekends or trips into the city.

Hofstra is a great place to be, we have a really strong community here and its in a great location. The town of Hempstead is not particularly great but the surrounding towns are nice and there is plenty of shopping to be done close by. Its close to a train station so NYC is very accessible. There are some great yearly events like music festivals, formals, barbeque's, and charity events etc. There is always something to do on campus because we have so many clubs, most of which are actively contributing to our student life.

2am on a Tuesday- Labs. Where do you meet most of your friends? In the classes for your major. Frats and sororities are everywhere and I can't seem to escape them... thank goodness Greek week is over. People party all the time, but that's true of any college campus. There's plenty of things to do on a Saturday aside from hitting up Dizzy's (ew) or Nachos or Chrebets. Movie nights, bowling, usually there's some sort of event or movie showing on campus. Hanging out in the dorms with your floor is always an option, too.