Hofstra University

« See more reviews of Hofstra University

greek life seems to be trying to take over campus. it seems as though they think they are at the top of the world and they think they're the shit. i like being involved in extra cirricular activites and clubs, because that's how i meet some friends and again obtain exceptionally experiences. i love leaving my dorm room door open while i'm in there during the day, with or without my roomate. we like the cross wind, even in the winter; it just seems to bring out the friendly side of everyone.

Some of the most popular groups on campus are the Fraternities and Sororities. And they generally speaking fit the mold of typical college fraternities with socials and annuals and drinking and hazing. I am not apart of that, its now who I am and not who I plan on becoming. I have yet to find someone to date. A lot of the girls here on campus are not what I'm looking for in a relationship. I need someone who is responsible and independent and does not need material things to survive.

The most active campus organization I am in the the Residential Student Association. We plam programs for all residents on campus. This year we held Hofstra's first student wide formal. We also had a movie night outside on our intramural field and brought in a hypnotist to raise money for FOP. Hofstra is also holding a Relay For Life event on campus this year. The students have become very active in fundraising for a variety of causes.

Student in their dorms usually leave their doors open in effort to get to know the people that live on their floor. Athletic events are fairly popular, I feel the most popular sporting events are football, soccer, basketball and lacrosse. Sports teams generally set a good example to college kids and usually dont party. All the sports teams are close knit, for example I am on the women's cross country team and we are very close.

The activities on campus leave something to be desired. They have a lot, but meeting times always overlap so it is hard to be uber involved. There is a lot of Greek life on campus, but if you aren't into that you can find stuff to get involved in, just expect a lot of people to ignore you doing rushing. The weekends at hofstra are dead, most people go home, so if you want to do things you go into NYC

Again, social life is different for a music major than for a lot of other majors. Drama/dance majors have a similar schedule to music majors. We are always practicing or rehearsing or composing or going to music dep't concerts to support our friends and classmates. However, from what I've seen, the more popular social scene involves Greek life, parties, and sports (particularly basketball).

I am a recent transfer and commuter, so most of this question does not apply to me. Sporting events are highly popular for the most part, and guest speakers and Hofstra theater and performing arts get their fair share of recognition too. I'm pretty sure the bar nights at Hofstra are Tuesday, Thursday and the weekends. Greek life exists at Hofstra but is not as big as other schools.

I wish we were able to leave our dorm room doors open so we can air out the room and can say hi to people as they pass by in the hall, but the fire code doesn't allow it. But most of the time we leave our doors unlocked so people just drop by anyways. Now that I think about it, it might not be so safe to leave them unlocked all the time, but so far none of my stuff has been stolen.

I'm not in a school organization or club, but most clubs are easy to access because they have groups on Facebook. One thing that I especially love about being in Honors College is that they occasionally organize trips into New York City to see Broadway musicals or museums, and at least three times a week there are smaller activities or dinners in the Honors dorm lounges.

There are a lot of activities on campus. Being involved in film, I am working on a film shoot almost every weekend so I do not do what most students do. For most students the weekend starts on a Thursday and they will go out to a bar and get wasted. Greek life is huge at Hofstra, they are everywhere. There are so many clubs that I do not even know some of them exist.