Hofstra University

« See more reviews of Hofstra University

I met my closest friends from my dorm and from orientation. Most of the events around campus are pretty popular for the most part and being awake at 2am either means you're drunk, working, or writing a paper for the next day. Saturday nights either involve working, or hanging out with friends. Drinking hasn't happened in a while because i've been working so much.

Most people drink at the bar down the road or play beer pong in their room. Greek life is big on campus. I met my closest friends through my fraternity and through working as a Resident Assistant. My social activities include going out to eat, movies, and very minimal drinking. Hofstra actually shows good movies on Saturday nights for free.

The school has great sports teams, drama dept., and other clubs across campus. There is usually something to do whether it's a football game, a play, or a free movie. The dorms sort of define who you hang out with. I meet a few kids from my classes, however I would say most students are friends with those they see everyday in the dorm.

Like any other campus there is not a lack of parties to attend. There are also lots of other things to do besides "get drunk". As mentioned before the closeness of NYC provides an endless list of things to do. Hofstra also gets lots of great and interesting speakers who come to campus. Or they plan programs that are great too.

there are a lot of guest speakers now, especially political ones in lieu of Educate 08, the program increasing political awareness before the final presidential debate is held here in october. athletic events are not terribly popular. i think basketball is the biggest sport, followed by football and men's lacrosse.

people party a lot. 2am on a tuesday, im talking online or hanging in the lounge with my friends. or frantically trying to finish something for c&e the next morning. saturday night without drinking...hmm...in the city, going to a movie, or perhaps some event on campus. but usually getting drunk in the dorm.

I am usually awake at 2AM on a Tuesday writing a paper for my Wednesday morning class. Most of my friends are also in this class writing the same paper so we spend a lot of time complaining about it, it's a bonding experience though. Luckily, I have a big gap in my day on Wednesday so I can nap after class.

I could go on for days about this, but I won't. There is never a boring moment at Hofstra, from concerts to free movies to speakers to comedians. We're also a 30-minute train ride away from NYC. And there are a few college bars just across the street from the school, so they're safe to get to and REALLY fun.

There is always a ton to do on and around Hofstra. The city is also only a 40 minute train ride away. If someone says there is nothing to do on a Friday or Saturday, or any night of the week really, they are just lazy and aren't looking. Hofstra has a great mix of academic events and nightlife events.

greek life is really big, but if you're not into it, there are millions of other things to join. drinking on the weekends occur at everyone college, and this is no different, but there is def other options than just drinking. the city is very close and there are always interesting activities on campus.