Hofstra University Top Questions

Yasmin

Mitchell

The cost is the worst thing about this school. This education comes with a hefty price tag at around $60,000 a year. Apparently the average mid term salary is 90k so hopefully the debt I am going to have will be able to be paid off with my future salary.

Elysha

Hofstra is GREAT for those who are interested in greek life and enjoy the party scene.

Angelika

I find the worst thing about my university is that there is no academic help center with professional staff available durung "normal school hours",only graduate or undergraduate students as tudors and is only available i during the evening hours.

The only real problem that I see with Hofstra is that it is located next to an area that has a fairly high crime rate and it's not always safe to walk around the surrounding off-campus area at night. Hofstra does have a great amount of security, making it much safer on campus. There is also a twenty four hour bus that takes students to the train station, making it a safer travel option than walking. Even with the problems involving the surrounding area, I still feel safe on campus.

I really don't like some of the adjunct teacher's attitudes. Some care, but most don't care about the students. the think they are the best and end up talking about what they like and trying to force students to believe what they believe instead of teaching the subject. its quite annoying.

The worst aspect of Hofstra is the size. Although they guaranteed small class sizes, for the most part my classes are filled to the maximum, and last semester very few of my professors couldn't even remember my name. I am a strong student who is always willing to particpate and shows an interest in class, but was just not given the opprotunity. This made my grades suffer and discouraged me from wanting to learn.

Shernique

The worst thing about Hofstra University is that they do not help students to find a variety of financial resources to help them pay their tuition. They quickly advise students without reviewing their financial history to constantly take out loans. Aside from lack of financial advice, they are very limited with their departments. My biology courses were mostly marine biology based and not pre-dental biology as my focus.

Some of the food quality isn't the best. And it is a little too expensive. Also, I don't know why the tuition is so expensive. They are always redoing the plant and flower beds on campus, and I think we are paying for it.

I am from Colorado, so having the many different weeks off are hard because all my friends go home and I'm stuck in the dorm by myself. I get really lonely sometimes and homesick because I know I won't see my parents until Christmas break becuase we don't have the money to fly me back and forth for the other holidays. Not seeing family and friends for breaks is definately the hardest thing here for me to deal with.

Davina

I feel that the worst thing about Hofstra University would be its many sororities and fraternities. I personally feel that they serve as nothing more than cliques and bring college students back to the adolescent behavior that they should have abandoned during their high school years.

natalia

in the winter time is is freezzzinnng !

zachary

I consider the absence of grants and scholarships provided to students who have the drive to succeed. Many are not as fortunate as others to be able to pay their way through college. People like myself are forced to take out student loans each semester to fund schooling. I believe small grants and scholarships should be provided to students who do well because the littlest bit truly does count.

DeAnna

The finacial aid at my school is slim to none. I don't get any money from the school at all.

The cost. Hofstra is a great school but something necessary like college should not be so expensive, no matter which school it is.

suburban area, you need a car.

nikki

the price and parking

It has too many ways to be involved. There is so much to do that I can't do it all. I am the type of person that likes to be constatnly working or doing something, so for me to say that there is too much to do on campus, is saying something. Campus jobs, clubs and organizations, even the amount of people you will meet, and the intership opportunities. There are many ways to be involved on campus in almost any aspect you can think of.

Hempstead is a pretty lousy town to live in, but fortunately, there's not a lot of need to go running around off campus.

Food services on the weekends and holidays is very lacking. All but one establishment close before nine PM on days when school is not in session.

The tution price. It is very costly to attend Hofstra, but I hope the education I recieve makes up for the cost.

It's expensive. All schools are though.

Closed-mindedness of students, beurocratic administrative system.

Angelica

The price, it cost so much to go to school at Hofstra and they are not very forthcoming on financial aid and scholarships; I come from a upper middle class family and it is still hard to pay the bills, I don't know what I would do without loan and scholarship opportunities.

Ricardo

I believe that the social aspect of Hofstra's campus revolves around the "Greek Life" which unfortunately pressures more individuals to get involved in fraternities and sorieties. I wish there was more emphasis and support on the professional organizations on my campus, because at the end of the day it is the people you meet in the professional setting that will make a difference in your career after college.

nothing to bad really... sometimes they get a little crazy with fines for little things like parking or a halogen lamp... but other than that theres really nothing i can complain about.

Giavanna

a good amount of people that attend school at Hofstra are from a rich upper-middle class area mostly from Long Island or Jersey and can be close minded at times due to lack of diversity and experiences with different types of people. It can seem at times that they have grown up in an unbreakable bubble and the worst part is...most of them dont care to break it.

A lot of groups of people tend to socialize exclusively within their social network, and aren't interested in branching out.