Hofstra University

« See more reviews of Hofstra University

The only real problem that I see with Hofstra is that it is located next to an area that has a fairly high crime rate and it's not always safe to walk around the surrounding off-campus area at night. Hofstra does have a great amount of security, making it much safer on campus. There is also a twenty four hour bus that takes students to the train station, making it a safer travel option than walking. Even with the problems involving the surrounding area, I still feel safe on campus.

It has too many ways to be involved. There is so much to do that I can't do it all. I am the type of person that likes to be constatnly working or doing something, so for me to say that there is too much to do on campus, is saying something. Campus jobs, clubs and organizations, even the amount of people you will meet, and the intership opportunities. There are many ways to be involved on campus in almost any aspect you can think of.

The worst thing about Hofstra University is that they do not help students to find a variety of financial resources to help them pay their tuition. They quickly advise students without reviewing their financial history to constantly take out loans. Aside from lack of financial advice, they are very limited with their departments. My biology courses were mostly marine biology based and not pre-dental biology as my focus.

I am from Colorado, so having the many different weeks off are hard because all my friends go home and I'm stuck in the dorm by myself. I get really lonely sometimes and homesick because I know I won't see my parents until Christmas break becuase we don't have the money to fly me back and forth for the other holidays. Not seeing family and friends for breaks is definately the hardest thing here for me to deal with.

The worst aspect of Hofstra is the size. Although they guaranteed small class sizes, for the most part my classes are filled to the maximum, and last semester very few of my professors couldn't even remember my name. I am a strong student who is always willing to particpate and shows an interest in class, but was just not given the opprotunity. This made my grades suffer and discouraged me from wanting to learn.

I believe that the social aspect of Hofstra's campus revolves around the "Greek Life" which unfortunately pressures more individuals to get involved in fraternities and sorieties. I wish there was more emphasis and support on the professional organizations on my campus, because at the end of the day it is the people you meet in the professional setting that will make a difference in your career after college.

I consider the absence of grants and scholarships provided to students who have the drive to succeed. Many are not as fortunate as others to be able to pay their way through college. People like myself are forced to take out student loans each semester to fund schooling. I believe small grants and scholarships should be provided to students who do well because the littlest bit truly does count.

a good amount of people that attend school at Hofstra are from a rich upper-middle class area mostly from Long Island or Jersey and can be close minded at times due to lack of diversity and experiences with different types of people. It can seem at times that they have grown up in an unbreakable bubble and the worst part is...most of them dont care to break it.

I really don't like some of the adjunct teacher's attitudes. Some care, but most don't care about the students. the think they are the best and end up talking about what they like and trying to force students to believe what they believe instead of teaching the subject. its quite annoying.

I feel that the worst thing about Hofstra University would be its many sororities and fraternities. I personally feel that they serve as nothing more than cliques and bring college students back to the adolescent behavior that they should have abandoned during their high school years.