Hofstra University

« See more reviews of Hofstra University

To be honest, I was really nervous to head off to school for the first time. Not the 'I wonder what grade I'm going to get on the quiz' nervous, but more like 'this is the biggest decision of my adolescent life and I hope I didn't mess it up' kind of nervous. I knew why I chose my school: a nice scholarship, right location, good program, etc., but suddenly, in the days before heading to school suddenly everything seemed to be in peril: why didn't I just save money by going to a state school? Why did I a University so far from home? What if I didn't like my major anymore then what would I do. Luckily for me, all those fears and nerves were put to sleep when I came to Hofstra. While it's not the school for everyone, so far I've had the best 4 months of my life. The campus is beautiful and just small enough so you always see friendly faces on the way to class, but just large enough so you don't know everyone and their business. Though the surrounding city of Hempstead isn't much by way of a college town, and can be dangerous and different parts, the town next door, Garden City is very beautiful and has plenty of little shops, restaurants, and one of the biggest malls in America. Also, our school is about an hour trip into the city, making New York accessible for fun on weekends or any necessary trips during the week. The one major thing I could complain about in regards to my school is a slight lack of school pride. Since the football team was abolished due to budgetary restrictions sports aren't a huge part of campus life. Because we don't have that united sports atmosphere, there are definitely many people who could be more prideful about our school. Overall, the academics are good with many programs for many different degrees, allowing people to pursue all different interests. I'm so glad I chose Hofstra University where I've met some of the best people and had some of the best moments of my entire life.

Hofstra is a nicely sized private school on Long Island. Its not huge and its not tiny. Its rare to find someone who knows EVERYONE, but its not impossible to know a large percent of the school population. It all depends on how much you're willing to get out there and meet people. The landscaping is gorgeous here, since it is a national arboretum. There are big grassy quads where (when its nice out) you'll find big groups of kids sitting on studying, reading, listening to music, playing games, or just hanging out between classes/avoiding homework! Its like a picture straight out of a college brochure. Hofstra doesnt have the greatest reputation (because of the stereotypes) but its becoming a better school everyday. The one big flaw is that it lacks a college-town. Since it is located in Hempstead, students dont have the opportunity to walk "up-town" and catch a movie, or grab dinner, or do some shopping. Campus is very safe (its a closed campus after 10:30pm) but walking around Hempstead at night isn't the best choice. Although there isn't a college-town, we have NYC! It's only a 30-40 minute train ride away, so that opens the door for sooo many opportunities! Its a fun place to spend the weekend, and allows for many internship opportunities.

The best thing about Hofstra is the people here. My friends that I've made are a large group of intelligent and fun people. I am very lucky to have found a large group of intellectuals who also know how to have a good time. As we have grown through the past 3 years we have become very close, and I really appreciate the time we've spent together. I think that Hofstra is the perfect size, because there are a lot of people here, but not too many that you can be completely lost in the crowd. At home people don't know much about Hofstra, so they think it's cool because it's near NYC. Here on Long Island, when I tell people that I go to Hofstra sometimes they seem impressed, sometimes they laugh... As if Hofstra is a joke. That's pretty disappointing.

The best thing about hofstra is that it has a homey feeling to it, the campus is very nice, the teachers and faculty are all very well educated in their fields. You can learn a lot better in a small classroom setting which hofstra can provide with its student to faculty ratio, and that is how you can get acquainted with the teachers at the school, who usually have connections on the outside walls of hofstra and could help you for your future when looking for jobs in the related field anyone is interested in. I feel there is a lot of school pride here especially among the freshman. i spend most of my time in bits and bytes which is a nice food building. I will always remember the good times I had when i was dorming on campus.

Hofstra is a very large school which is one of the reasons I went there. The extensive class offerings drew me in. Most people are very willing to help and despite the class being big its easier inside of a major to find somebody to concentrate on you. I commute there but I go to the mall a lot and to Old Country Road to shop. its awesome. Its near queens and the city. When I tell people I am at hofstra most seems happy or impressed. Some people do not hold hofstra to a high esteem but i do not understand why. The school is great for learning. I love the campus, i find it easy to get around although I have gotten lost once or twice. Adminstration is very nice - people have always helped me and i'm not afraid to ask.

I think that the best thing about Hofstra is the size. It's just right; not too big, and not too small. People where I'm from don't have any idea what Hofstra is. I spend most of my time on campus in my room or friends rooms, and don't find Hempstead to be a college town. I don't know much about Hofstra's administration so I can't say. I will say that they're not very visible, unless I'm just not seeking them out. The most recent controversy was the ZBT incident. I don't think that there is an overwhelming amount of school pride; we lack a student section at sporting events. The most frequent student complaints include overcharging from Lackmann.

What I love about Hofstra is the great opportunities for my major (Video/Television). Being so close to NYC, there are great internship opportunities, and I got to start with hands-on work in freshman year, which not many schools offer. I like the size of Hofstra: it's big enough to avoid people you don't like but no so big that you get lost all the time. I spend most of my time out and about on campus; I love to be outside when the weather is warm: the campus is gorgeous! One of the things that's a turn-off about Hofstra is the lack of support for sports. I love college sports, but most kids on campus could care less.

Hofstra's a pretty good school, not too big, not too small. It only takes about 15 minutes to get across campus. Most people usually think about the sports teams when they here the name. Outside of the school, there isn't much around. Not too much bad happens, but there are some bad fights and a sexual harrasment case. Teh administration does a decent job but certain people do little for the money they make and the amount they contribute. A lot of the school has pride, decent turn outs at sports events, especially since half the school commutes. The things most people complain about though is the food service.

Hofstra University is a great school that offers you opportunities to figure out what you want to be in life. It has a great environment where one can feel safe and the people who attend the school have great attitudes and are always nice to each other. The university provides great food thats enjoyable to all and the housing provides great space for personal items and studying. The location of the school is convenient near the mall, close to many food places and a hospital. I believe that going to this school is a great decision to go to because of all it has to offer and the great atmosphere they provide.

A school that seems smaller than the actual numbers. I swear I know everyone on this campus already, but it's suitable for most people I suppose. The campus is beautiful, it's a national arboredum, classes are great, and professors are definitely varied. The campus is small, and there is not much to do in the surrounding area, except maybe go and drink. Administration is cool, but public safety can be a bitch when they are trying to meet the quota at the end of the month.