Hofstra University Top Questions

Hofstra University is a great school that offers you opportunities to figure out what you want to be in life. It has a great environment where one can feel safe and the people who attend the school have great attitudes and are always nice to each other. The university provides great food thats enjoyable to all and the housing provides great space for personal items and studying. The location of the school is convenient near the mall, close to many food places and a hospital. I believe that going to this school is a great decision to go to because of all it has to offer and the great atmosphere they provide.

Malcolm

I think as far as opportunity goes, Hofstra is a great location to be in. Students have every opportunity to ride into New York City and search for opportunities there. Each department is always sending emails regarding internships frequently. However, the food is over-priced and not that good, neither is the scenery/view. It is rare that you would come across a person who really likes the options it has to offer, in terms of food. If I had to change anything about the campus, it would be those two things.

Griffin

All I can say is don't Hofstra seems appealing with it being so close to NYC, but that's really the only good thing. I majored in drama, and half the professors were educated at Hofstra! No one in any department knew what they were talking about and they told us if anyone came up to ask why the tuition was so high we should avoid the question. The so called "BFA" program is a scam, and without it you're basically paying 60k for no major. The kids who had gotten in came out with no connections, about the same education that AMDA could give you (except 50k cheaper) and a school that looks the other way when you ask why you don't have a job. It says a lot when someone transfers to a community college just to get out of the trap that is Hofstra. The food is awful and the amount of times people found bugs in their food was too many to count. Hofstra is located in the lovely town of Hempstead, known for its gangs and high crime rate. My first year I got three emails a week telling us to travel in groups because there had been students mugged walking back from parties. The school totes their proximity to NYC as a feature yet sets a time limit on the shuttle that takes you to the nearest train station, saying that after a certain time it's too dangerous for them to come, and if you find yourself stuck there then you better know someone with a car. Even the attendance policy, which varies per major, is insane. If you find yourself in the hospital, or just sick, then you better show up to class with an IV because if you're absent more than 2 times they drop your grade and recommend you drop the class. If I could give this school 0 stars I would. If you're even thinking of attending simply because you didn't get in anywhere else (like the majority of people who go to Hofstra, it's a 'well I didn't get into my top choice but this will do' school), I implore you to look elsewhere. I didn't do well my first semester of freshman year due to my family moving and it being a new environment. As a result I lost my scholarship, but when I tried to explain that I was simply getting used to being alone and not having any family close they told me that it didn't matter and that I could appeal again next year. They rope you in by showing you the gym, which is about the only thing they'll spend money on, and have the student guides, who are paid to lie (I know because I went to the training to be one, but when I was told about the questions to avoid: tuition, do people drink/ do drugs). The dorms are small and packed (they have 4 people to a room the size of a normal dorm, they call it a quad). There's so much to say about why this school is terrible, but I'll leave it at a simple DON'T. Don't go, no matter how appealing it sounds, it's not.

Griffin

Not good.

Griffin

Gillie

To be honest, I was really nervous to head off to school for the first time. Not the 'I wonder what grade I'm going to get on the quiz' nervous, but more like 'this is the biggest decision of my adolescent life and I hope I didn't mess it up' kind of nervous. I knew why I chose my school: a nice scholarship, right location, good program, etc., but suddenly, in the days before heading to school suddenly everything seemed to be in peril: why didn't I just save money by going to a state school? Why did I a University so far from home? What if I didn't like my major anymore then what would I do. Luckily for me, all those fears and nerves were put to sleep when I came to Hofstra. While it's not the school for everyone, so far I've had the best 4 months of my life. The campus is beautiful and just small enough so you always see friendly faces on the way to class, but just large enough so you don't know everyone and their business. Though the surrounding city of Hempstead isn't much by way of a college town, and can be dangerous and different parts, the town next door, Garden City is very beautiful and has plenty of little shops, restaurants, and one of the biggest malls in America. Also, our school is about an hour trip into the city, making New York accessible for fun on weekends or any necessary trips during the week. The one major thing I could complain about in regards to my school is a slight lack of school pride. Since the football team was abolished due to budgetary restrictions sports aren't a huge part of campus life. Because we don't have that united sports atmosphere, there are definitely many people who could be more prideful about our school. Overall, the academics are good with many programs for many different degrees, allowing people to pursue all different interests. I'm so glad I chose Hofstra University where I've met some of the best people and had some of the best moments of my entire life.

Gillie

Jared

Hofstra is gorgeous. The amount of trees and plants on campus really blows your mind. Compared to the most prestigious and beautifully built campuses in the country, Hofstra still beats many out with the suburban feel of its South (academic side) Campus. I would encourage the administration to focus more on improving the aesthetics of the dorms, which in some cases they have, i.e., replace furniture, update HVAC system, light system, redo bathrooms in the high rises, and build more dorms at a more affordable price. People tell me its a good school and a real campus unlike many Long Island colleges, with good job prospects, but way too expensive of a price tag. I spend most time in the Student Center hanging out or on sunny days in Breslin quad inbetween classes. Its a college town in part. It has many restaurants and delis in the area that make-up a Hofstra discount and welcome Hofstra students and a lot of students live in off-campus housing. Overall the town and local village are not welcoming of college students. Its suburbia and they don't want intoxicated, loud messy kids in their area. Hofstra is also located in one of the worst neighborhoods in the county. This neighborhood has a high volume of minorities and a high crime rate. The county police and campus public safety are very good at making students feel safe not only on campus but off it as well. Still security could be improved. Not all the campus is gated. The administration while clearly trying and succeeding in improving Hofstra's status in national rankings and academic quality, Seems more focused on the school's appearance to the educated community than to its student body. It doe snot focus enough on improving dorms or social life. Becoming very anti-greek, not following most colleges in the leave it alone or turn a blind-eye rule. It has no greek housing and very little money for any clubs. The rape scandal brought to light the security flaws of so many non-students on campus and how security measures should be changed. Parking, price and dorm quality are the most frequent complaints of students. The university has not accurately addressed any of these issues over the past ten years.

The food is great (there's about a million places to choose from), but get a meal plan because it gets pricey after a while. Still worth it though. Hofstra is the perfect size for me; big enough to have a real university feel to it, but small enough that all my Profs know me by name and face. I do still wish we had a football team :( BUT our basketball and lacrosse games are really fun, and people still have plenty of school pride. Not sure if you can tell, but I LOVE this school haha.

Sheryl

People are always proud and encouraging when I tell them i go to Hofstra, of course those who are not from NY won't know about Hofstra. There is a lot of school pride. I must say even those of us who usually don't care much about the school we go to express pride in our school.

Hofstra is a great campus. It is beautiful and not that big. Everything you could want can be found within 10 miles of campus. Every chain restaurant you could think of is around campus. Student accounts is horrible because it is worse than the DMV. You wait for a long time because the employees do not do there job the best they can do. As long as you do not have to deal with them the experience is good.

The best thing about Hofstra is the people here. My friends that I've made are a large group of intelligent and fun people. I am very lucky to have found a large group of intellectuals who also know how to have a good time. As we have grown through the past 3 years we have become very close, and I really appreciate the time we've spent together. I think that Hofstra is the perfect size, because there are a lot of people here, but not too many that you can be completely lost in the crowd. At home people don't know much about Hofstra, so they think it's cool because it's near NYC. Here on Long Island, when I tell people that I go to Hofstra sometimes they seem impressed, sometimes they laugh... As if Hofstra is a joke. That's pretty disappointing.

Nora

i get a good rection when i tell people i go to school at hofstra, im happy that i attend hofstra and im very proud to be from this school

The best thing about hofstra is that it has a homey feeling to it, the campus is very nice, the teachers and faculty are all very well educated in their fields. You can learn a lot better in a small classroom setting which hofstra can provide with its student to faculty ratio, and that is how you can get acquainted with the teachers at the school, who usually have connections on the outside walls of hofstra and could help you for your future when looking for jobs in the related field anyone is interested in. I feel there is a lot of school pride here especially among the freshman. i spend most of my time in bits and bytes which is a nice food building. I will always remember the good times I had when i was dorming on campus.

food is overpriced. not too much to do. the school size is comfortable, no over crowded classes. dorm rooms are pretty good.

The best this about Hofstra is the amazing faculty. I have enjoyed almost every professor I have had. Our school is a very good size: there is diversity and variation, but you are not lost in the crowd. I wish people in the administration were kinder and more respectful to students. The professors are wonderful, but the administration is often rude. Many people are impressed when they hear that I go to Hofstra, especially now that it is receiving more attention for the presidential debates and for the addition of the Medical school. I spend most of my time on campus in my room. There is no "college town" at Hofstra. I am afraid to walk off campus, especially at night. The most frequent student complaints involve the administration, tuition costs, and food costs and poor quality.

Good School, good professors and classes. Lacks connection between diverse groups of people. Expensive

Sharon

I wish Hofstra was in a college town. The city it is in, Hempstead, is not the best neighborhood to hang out in, and there isn't much within walking distance. Unless I can find someone to give me a ride somewhere, I'm pretty much stuck on campus. However, I think that being close to the city is better though.

Tammy

Hofstra is a nicely sized private school on Long Island. Its not huge and its not tiny. Its rare to find someone who knows EVERYONE, but its not impossible to know a large percent of the school population. It all depends on how much you're willing to get out there and meet people. The landscaping is gorgeous here, since it is a national arboretum. There are big grassy quads where (when its nice out) you'll find big groups of kids sitting on studying, reading, listening to music, playing games, or just hanging out between classes/avoiding homework! Its like a picture straight out of a college brochure. Hofstra doesnt have the greatest reputation (because of the stereotypes) but its becoming a better school everyday. The one big flaw is that it lacks a college-town. Since it is located in Hempstead, students dont have the opportunity to walk "up-town" and catch a movie, or grab dinner, or do some shopping. Campus is very safe (its a closed campus after 10:30pm) but walking around Hempstead at night isn't the best choice. Although there isn't a college-town, we have NYC! It's only a 30-40 minute train ride away, so that opens the door for sooo many opportunities! Its a fun place to spend the weekend, and allows for many internship opportunities.

What I love about Hofstra is the great opportunities for my major (Video/Television). Being so close to NYC, there are great internship opportunities, and I got to start with hands-on work in freshman year, which not many schools offer. I like the size of Hofstra: it's big enough to avoid people you don't like but no so big that you get lost all the time. I spend most of my time out and about on campus; I love to be outside when the weather is warm: the campus is gorgeous! One of the things that's a turn-off about Hofstra is the lack of support for sports. I love college sports, but most kids on campus could care less.

I would change the architecture of the residence halls. The singles of the towers are too isolating. One experience I will always remember is throwing the Frisbee in the Liberty Republic courtyard. I spend most of my time hanging out with my friends and getting my work done.

The frequent student complaints circle around the fact that we can only use our mealpoints on campus. Additionally, the campus food (Lackmann) overcharges.

Lorie

Hofstra is a great place. The landscape and set up of campus is really nice and the people are really friendly. The university lacks a college-town but NYC is very close by. The nearness of NYC opens many opportunities that many other college students dont have. If i please I can go and have a picnic in Central Park on the weekend or go see a Broadway show after class one day. The administration gets to be a bit annoying at times, but what school doesnt have annoying administration? Students of Hofstra are really glad to be here.

The one thing that I absolutely love about the Hof is the campus grounds. This is the time of year when the weather is getting nicer and everything is in bloom. It really is a beautiful campus. When people hear the word "Hofstra" come out of my mouth, they say one of two things: "Good school" or "Expensive". Hofstra costs an arm and a leg and they take money from you wherever they can... administration is a pain and they always seem to screw you over. Like I said before, the campus is pretty...

The best thing about Hofstra are the students. They are really nice. One thing I'd change is the food prices. The school is just the right size. People ask me if I dorm there since I live so close. I spend most of my time within the Liberty/Republic area since there is always someone to hang around with and something to do. There is a lot of pride, it is in our team names. People say Hofstra looks like an amusement park.

The best thing about Hofstra is the community. Everyone is so nice, helpful and involved. Everyone really cares. Hofstra is the perfect size. There aren't so many people that you get lost in the crowd, but also there is enough so that it's not like you know everyone. There's always things going on and always free food.

Bevan

The people I met are amazing. There should be more diversity on campus. I spend most of my time in the lounge.

One of the things i would change is the advisement team. Alot of them give advice that completely conflicts with others and, especially when scheduling or working out student loans you have to figure it out for yourself.

The best thing about hofstra is the atmosphere. Its a good sized school but you run into everyone you know, the staff is friendly and helpful.

linda

the size is great and everyone here is really involved with issues of the world

Hofstra University is the best of both worlds. It's a big enough school not to feel cramped or limited in and which in turn offers many majors while being small enough but more importantly focused enough to give each student the attention he/she needs to thrive intellectually.

My opinion of the Hofstra Administration is that they do not consider what the students want and need. Hofstra is run like a business rather than a university. Rather then implementing things that we students want and need, they do not ask us or create things that typical college students should be surrounded with.

Ash

Most people at home don't know anything about Hofstra, let alone that it exists. Those that do think it is a very prestigious East coast school and that it is located in Manhattan. On Long Island and around New York, it seems like Hofstra has a pretty good reputation for a liberal arts school.

Rory

i love the tulips in the spring. campus is gorgeous. hofstra's working to appease students by "going green" and working to better the dining facilities (although they are alright, as is)

Torry

The campus is absolutely wonderful. We are recognized as a "park" by the New York State Park Authority (or something to that effect). It makes for a truly wonderful experience. You feel like you're in a fairytale when the trees and flowers (and boy do we have a lot) are blooming in the spring. The food is top notch compared to the other campuses I have been to, but after 4 years you get sick of anything, because you're just eating it over and over again.

kelly

there is absolutely no college town. the city is close by, which is great, but it's unforunate tht there's no local town for us to shop and wlak around in. cars are helpful to keep here because everything is quite spread out

Cool students.

Keith

The size of the school is great in my opinion. The student body is large, but half are commuters so it has the feel of both a large and smaller university. The campus is really nice. I remember being unsure when driving here and looking around the area of Hempstead. Hofstra is split in half by the Hempstead turnpike, but while on campus you wouldn't even know there exists a major turnpike a short distance away. The food is above average for universities across the country. However, the price of food is a little bit ridiculous. But overall the food on campus is still a plus for the school. One of the biggest things Hofstra has going for it is the location as well. The school is a 10 minute walk from the Coliseum, a short drive from the Roosevelt Mall (one of the largest in the country), and then a 30minute train ride from NYC.

barbara

the area around here is not college-friendly. hofstra itself is nice, but the neighborhood is unforunate

campus is very nice, the landscaping is gorgeous. being outside is where my friends and i spend most of our time

Close enough to NYC to take advantage of everything it has to offer but also far enough away to avoid some of it's craziness. Hempstead is a little dirty but its there is plenty of things to do in the area.

Joanne

less winddd

Bob

I think that the best thing about Hofstra is the size. It's just right; not too big, and not too small. People where I'm from don't have any idea what Hofstra is. I spend most of my time on campus in my room or friends rooms, and don't find Hempstead to be a college town. I don't know much about Hofstra's administration so I can't say. I will say that they're not very visible, unless I'm just not seeking them out. The most recent controversy was the ZBT incident. I don't think that there is an overwhelming amount of school pride; we lack a student section at sporting events. The most frequent student complaints include overcharging from Lackmann.

The academics (political science dept.) are awesome - there are a lot of opportunities offered.

Hofstra's atmosphere is probably what drew me in the most. Being a mid-sized school (app. 8,000 undergrad) it has the resources of a large university and the community of a smaller college. The campus is beautiful, but it's not a campus bubble. I mean, you don't feel like you're stuck on campus for four years. Internships are encouraged (if not required) and the school takes advantage of the proximity to NYC just as much as the students do. There are PLENTY of things to do in the area, and I'm still just barely getting a taste of the stuff the whole Island has to offer after three years here. And it's still a young school. Hofstra's less than 100 years old and is really building up it's reputation among some of the larger more well-known universities.

The recent "controversy" on campus would have to be the elections for president of SGA. A former president who was told to step down was running to be re-elected and there was a lot of controversy surrounding his candidacy and he wound up winning the election, much to a lot of people's surprise.

Jill

There's no real college town... Hofstra kind of is a town in itself. Besides, NYC is 45 minutes away, so there's no real need for a college town.

I think there is an overall level of dissatisfaction with the school, and most people feel like they've settled by staying here. If asking a student if they could have gone somewhere else freshman year, i would say the great majority say yes. Even as a senior, i feel as if my decision to stay here was one of convenience, after deciding the the school was "okay" after my first year.

Gabe

I like Hofstra's size. I have met plenty of people that I have become close to, and yet I still meet new ones everyday. The campus is a good size as well. Everything that I need is in reasonable walking distance. The surrounding area is also decent. There's plenty of places to eat off campus, which is a nice change of setting. There's a few movie theaters close by, and for some reason there is a cluster of malls within a short distance of campus. In no way would this be considered just a college town. The biggest issue is the price of food. Hofstra uses Lackmann dining services as their provider, and Lackmann's prices are ridiculous. The company doesn't seem to realize that most college students and their families don't have extra money to burn on food. It seems to be taking unfair advantage of the student's needs.

joanne

i wish hempstead turnpike didn't cut campus in half. people don't seem to know too much about hofstra when i mention i attend it.