Hofstra University Top Questions

Raynie

Senior year truly does move the fastest, and as nice as that sounds, it is also very frightening. You have to do your homework and pay attention in class, I know you’re ready to graduate, but slacking makes everything a lot harder. DO NOT hang around the wrong kids, and by that I mean do not do drugs or party, the consequences are not worth the hour of fun. Senior year is even worse with no freedom. Read the emails that the school sends and do not be afraid to talk to the guidance counselor, even if she forgets that you even exist, sometimes you have to take the initiative. Apply to colleges right away, apply for financial even sooner, and apply for the scholarships offered to you by the community. Searching for scholarships elsewhere is not as easy as it sounds, and free money is always worth the extra effort. All in all, try hard, have fun, and stay true to who you are!

First of all I'd tell myself not to worry so much! Everything will be fine, just breathe. I'd tell myself and other seniors to make sure you manage your time properly. You have to study for so many things in college that it is important to get your homework and essays done quickly. Start studying at the beginning of the semester so you won't drive yourself crazy during midterms and finals. I'd want myself to know that it's okay to ask for help; from professors or tutors or RAs. When life gets stressful, it's good to have friends you can talk to. I'd tell myself to talk to more people, especially in my house. You are going to be living with these people for almost a year so you should make good friends with them. Lastly I'd tell myself not to worry because you'll be okay. You will find yourself here; so just breathe.

Hugh

When I graduated from high school I was truly convinced that I wanted to be an artist, creating computer and three dimensional movie graphics for a living. It was not until I jumped into that world and began working towards that goal full time that I determined that I enjoyed being an artist far more when I did not depend on my craft to make my living. Going back in time I would remind myself that I am young, with all of the time in the world, take some time to experience at least five totally different lines of work to determine the lines of work that you do or do not want to go into, it may surprise you to find where your interests lie when there's a practical application associated with what you're learning. I found that I liked art more as a hobby than a profession, I hated waiting tables, I have no talent for construction or painting, although I enjoy both for short periods of time but I have a surprising passion for medicine. Sometimes life takes you on the roundabout way to find the things that you are truly passionate about.

The story I’d tell high school me about the college transition is one of hope and responsibility. I’d say: High school is such a worrisome time for you now, but acceptance and expansion are on the way. You’ll meet new people from new places and what strength that will bring to you will astound you. You’ll be embraced for who you are and enhanced for who you are not, both by peers and professors. But despite your new friends and trusted mentors, you have the right and responsibility to stand up for yourself, to take care of yourself. College away from home is the time you learn who is truly responsible for you: you. Everything mom nags you about ad-nauseam? She’s right to remind you. Because amidst this newfound freedom and opportunity, experience and wonder, might come a lost grip on the important stuff. Nourish yourself, protect yourself, be your own advocate and have your own back. Stay true to yourself while welcoming in new possibilities. That balance will save you. Oh, and focus on your work. Study something that makes your heart beat fast.

Scarlett

Start building credit sooner so it can be easier to get a student loan. The sooner you start scholarship applications the better, so please stop procrastinating because college isn't cheap. Also rethink the having a red car and choose black or something because the red apparently attracts a lot students who like to key cars. Also remember that college work isn't like high school work and you should definitely start projects and papers in more advance than you usually would. Please listen to this because it'll make your life a lot easier in the long run.

If I could turn back the clocks and talk to my senior self I would have quite a bit to say. The major being to not get down when you find those rejection letters in your mailbox; they do not matter. Another being to not be afraid of trying to find that dream school that you've wanted since you were a little girl; it's right in front of you. And finally to not be afraid to leave some people behind to follow your dreams; if they care, they'll understand. That acceptance letter is on its way with a lovely financial package not far behind. Hofstra University is where you'll find everything you have always wanted, and where you will be able to pursue your passion. Just know that this school is perfect for you and that it will change you for the better in every way you can possibly imagine. Never be afraid to follow your heart and do not be afraid to open yourself up to all of the strangers that you will find on move in day, because they will become your closest friends.

If I could give advice to my high school senior self, I would tell myself to be less afraid of hurting people's feelings and focus more on what's important to my success. I would also tell myself to be more confident and not to fear being myself and speaking my mind, even if it means I'll be judged. I would tell myself to took forward to the amazing things that are to come in college, and to be prepared for stressful times aw well. I would tell myself to appreciate my time at home more, and would tell myself to go ahead and rush into that relationship, but not to be so heartbroken when it ends. I would tell myself that college really is going to be a new beginning where I can change myself for the better and become someone who actually benefits society and does what before she could talk about doing. The biggest piece of advice I would give myself is not to worry so much, because soon I'll leave the negative people and things behind for a fresh start, planning a better, happier and successful future.

Mitchell

The advice I would give to my high school self would be to take as many AP classes as you can because they are practically free and not so much in college. Another fact would be to forget about your social life because you will most likely not see any of them again and work on your education and having grades so you can get a better scholarship and choice of school. Don't be so stressed out about college and learn to relax and enjoy life. You will know who your true friends are in time so don't stress out so much about life. Join as many programs and clubs that you enjoy so you can leave your mark in this world before you graduate and get ready for an amazing journey in college!

Elisheva

Don't worry so much about the college applications. Stop putting yourself down for not knowing how to do everything. A year from now, you are in a common room laughing and studying with people who love you. They want you to succeed, and most importantly, you've learned the tools of the trade in order to make sure you do. You are real world ready. You are going somewhere. The road ahead of you is long and rocky, but you have to know that nothing worth having comes easy. You have a good head on your shoulders and you have to use it for positive thinking. The only person capable of truly holding you back is yourself so make sure that you give yourself enough space and time to grow in the next you're. You'll be doing big things soon, ones that make your life better, and others' lives better too. But the only way to get going is to believe in yourself. So what are you waiting for?

IGNACIA

If I could go back in time I would tell myself to actually follow my passion and not doubt myself. I would tell myself to always be open to making new friends, but always watch out for other's motivations. Know that people's issues are not your own. And lastly, sing until your heart bleeds out of your chest because that's what you're best at. Let it pave the way.

I definitely have some very crucial advice I would give myself. I would tell myself to study hard from the get-go instead of slacking off at the end of every semester. Always pay attention in class. Perhaps the most important advice I could have given myself is "Learn How to Say NO!!". It will help, because part of why I have a low GPA is that when someone wanted to hang out with me, I would always say yes no matter how much work I had to do. I am just learning, at this late stage of the game, how to say NO. Another piece of advice I wouldn't hesitate to give myself is to SET MY ALARM CLOCK! Especially if you have early classes (9am, 9:30am, etc), which will probably happen as a freshman, you need to be on time. Many professors may not care, but there are a whole lot of them that will and won't hesitate to deduct points from your final grade if you exceed a certain number of absences or tardies. I would give anything to go back and give myself these crucial pieces of advice.

adrian

If i could go back in time and talk to myself while i was in high school I would go back at night time and appear just outside my room. I would knock on the window very soft and camly i dont wanna scare myself to death u know what i mean, once I wake up my fainted self I follow up by telling him the right moves to make in high school so my life is better and just how i want it. I would start by telling myself that I have made a huge mystake in life and i need to fix it, i would do this to scare myself and get me motivated on changing my old self. First i would tell him to loose weight to get in shape and that the best thing that would suit for me was joining the high school soccer team at 9th grade and to work hard and none stop and that i will love soccer because i love enething that keeps my mind busy and am very talented for the sport i would tell myself that its my destiny to become the best soccer player the world has known.

Try harder to make your grades better. Dont chicken out of trying new things and joining new groups. dont let petty problems consume your thoughts, they arent worth it, neither are the people they are over.

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior, I would tell myself to relax a little bit and live in the moment. In high school, I was so focused on how I looked on paper that I tended to neglect my social life. Now that I am in college, while I am maintaining a 3.58 GPA, I struggle to find a happy medium between having a healthy social life and being appropriately studious, especially now that I have so much freedom. Additionally, I would advise my high school self to stop being to reliant upon my former teachers and college counselors to present me to applications and deadline reminders because after graduation, I would be on my own.

Cyndi

There will be a lot of changes, both inside you and outside of you. Breathe, and roll with the punches. Take yoga: it sounds silly, but it really is helpful for your stress level and your weight. Do not let the negative people you encounter influence you and change you. Change for the better, not the worse. Those negative people aren't always enemies: more often than not, they can be friends too. Have a good time, but don't be stupid about it. Stop hating your body: turns out, the weight issue isn't your fault, it's a medical issue you were doomed to have once your parent's combined chromosomes to make you. Therefore, it's out of your control. I know it's hard, but learn to love your body, because you won't be subject to a Freaky Friday-esque body switching phenemenon with Scarlett Johanssen any time soon. Who you are attracted to does not dictate who you are: like everything, it's a part of the whole person. You are talented, and are worthy of good, which is something you will still struggle with,but know that. One day, you will believe it.

Ethan

Senior college student me is much more aware of impending financial complications of schooling (loans) than senior high school student me. I've always realized that I could cull some kernel of insight from my classes, including during high school - there was not so much an academic catalyst for my current learning rather than another impetus. The real burr that burrowed into my buttocks and inspired to set myself straight was the creeping awareness of what weight money matters have. Negligence of payments for school expenses left me feeling dirty and destitute - no food as the meal plan is forfeited, concentration taken off of classes and put to scrounging for free food. Survival is made priority one. Times when I had a full stomach I could focus on final papers - but try academic success without any nourishment! What a boon loans are in those moments, sating the ravenous belly! However, I am shrewd enough now to understand loans will turn around and become debts themselves, relegating me to survival mode the same as unpaid tuition. Past me: be keenly aware of what those seemingly intangible fees render on your precious mind and body; stay resolute and get scholarships.

Elysha

To the me of long ago, Stay true to yourself. Oh, how cliché, but what a truth nonetheless! In college, you will find yourself in every situation imaginable. Don’t forget who you are and what you stand for. People, clubs, friends, and teachers will try to influence you in one way or another. Listen intently and hear what they have to say, then retain the nuggets of wisdom and proceed as your heart and values prompt. Although you will encounter individuals who are different than you or may have drastically opposite views, always be open. Every single person you encounter has something to offer. Whether they are sharing a piece of information, or even just teaching you patience, remain open minded in every circumstance. Use every interaction to grow as a person. In college, you are not only expected to mature academically, but you are also expected to develop your emotional and cultural capabilities. Use these interactions to grow in these areas every day. College will be an exciting and challenging place. Embrace what you are about to experience.

Seeing myself as a high school senior the advice I would give myself would be the following. To hold on as much as you can with the assignments, the tasks and the expectations of others. The journey may be rough and sometimes even unbearable but it is worth it. With hardwork, dedication and persistence it is worth it. It may seem as though teachers are being hard on you when in actuality they only see your potential and only see your best.

The most difficult struggle I faced during my first year in college was the transition of being alone. I have always been independent, but never alone. It was difficult because I decided attend a school 5,000 miles away from my home and felt too shy and intimidated to open up to anyone. Looking back on it, I would have told myself as a high school senior to be more open with people and situations. I disagreed with the “college life” of partying, and now I just accept it for what it is. Not everyone partakes in it. Also, being friendly with others by striking up a casual conversation will not hurt. Having acquaintances is better than having no friends at all. And if people are mean, what ultimately matters is that you are not. If people look at you judgingly, never take it personally because in actuality, everyone is equal. I had a miserable freshman year out of the fear of not being accepted by others. I learned that if you accept others, more likely than not, they will accept you. No one should go through college feeling alone. Be the better person and embrace meeting new people.

I would tell myself a few things. First, you should apply at more medium sized schools and visit them long before the May first deadline. Secondly, you should focus on Judaic Studies, Middle East and Central Asian Studies, Religion, Philosophy, and Education as potential majors and minors. Thrid of all, set aside more money to help fix Dad's car as soon as possible that you do not have to rely on others for transportation. Fourth, get your liscence as soon as possible. Fifth, apply for more scholarships and do it in the fall before all the deadlines arrive or pass. Sixth, you have a right to live and feel comfortable in your dorm: it is your room too! Finally, get your work study job applications out immediately, do not wait to go job hunting. If I had done all of this during the college application process and at the very beginning of my college career, I think I would have had a much less stressful time during my first year and a half in college.

Jade

My college experience has taught me to not do things at the last minute, do not be taken advantage of by a horrible roomate, be on time, participation in class is crucial, it's always nice to be home on breaks, don't schedule classes at 8 am, don't pretend like you are safe everywhere you go, always keep a bottle of water campus drinks are expensive, going to school in New York is expensive, get involved, take advantage of free stuff you're paying tuition you should get the most out of it, leave your room door open sometimes to meet new people, and enjoy the best years of your life.

Breanna

I have really learned a lot about myself as a Hofstra student. I realize now that although the school is not quite for me and that I will be transferring in the fall, Hofstra was an amazing adventure. In my experience, I met tons of new and interesting people, got to try great new foods, and did new and exciting things that I would only have been able to do in the location.

College has been one of the greatest experiences of my life. Not only have I learned a great deal about my major, film production, but I have also made friends with people from so many different backgrounds and cultures. I feel that I'm so much better prepared for the real world just from talking to different people and learning about their experiences and outlooks on life. I have also learned to challenge myself by taking the extra step to be involved in cultural events and clubs that I might not have thought about otherwise. I also learned that every single experience I've had in college, both good and bad, has made me a better person. Just the simple act of doing something new, whether or not the outcome benefits me directly, made all the difference in turning me into the kind of person I am today. College has taught me that with this mindset and hard work, I can do anything that I set out to do. This is all due to the fact that I look back on what I have done in college and realize that these are the things I dreamed of doing years ago.

Marina

This fall will be my first semester in college. I anticipate learning and perfecting my craft, while making new friends and having enlighting experiences. I feel it is valuable to attend college inorder for my resume to stand out, when I attend job auditions. A college degree versus a high school degree can be the single reason why one person lands the role versus another. With my degree, employers can see that I have spent the last four years of my life preparing to work for them. If I just had a high school degree, it may seem that I have no idea what the job has in store for me nor any training. Also, there are many important life lessons in college that I will gain. One is the capability to truely be indepent from my parents, two is learning about different cultures from diverse friends, and thrid is appreciating what I have been blessed with at home by my family, friends, and teachers.

I found my true passion and I found out how to use my skills to propell me towards the career I want. I also have made some amazing friends and found out how to let go of friends that want to use me. I learned life lessons that I don't think I would have learned if I just went out into the world.

lauren

I have experienced a whole new world by attending college. No one prepares you enough for just how different it will be to attending high school. College has enabled me to make friends that i will have for a life time. It has given me the chance to make relationships with my professors, where theyre not just my teachers but people i can also go talk to for career and social help. It has also taught me how to grow up, and actually become more of an adult. At the end of every school year i can now look back and see just how much knowledge i've obtained and how much more confidence i have for myself as each year brings me closer to my career destination. All in all, i take my college experience to the fullest, and i dont take it for granted one bit. All the money and time spent for a 4 year education will turn out to be a priceless adventure, and an experience i will always remember.

Entering my fourth year of college I have gained tons of new and exciting friends and they have helped me gain mental focus. Going to an out-of-state college I was entering an atmosphere where I was walking in alone. No family or friends to assist in the transitioning process. I quickly learned that the only way to survive was to get to know people and let them tell me about their past experiences and also share mine. Once this happened, I was no longer alone and that was what I needed to help me through. Homework was no longer a stressor because my friends helped me through. When I was dealing with family problems or issues back home, they were there to get me out of my room and help me enjoy life a little. These are the same guys who have graduated and still check on me to make sure that I am doing everything necessary to also graduate and be successful. They have been the reason that college is valuable for me to attend. They have helped me blossom into an amazing human being: more confident, more outgoing, and soon to be more successful.

Catina

My first year changed everything about me academicly college showed me that school work is no joke and it takes a lot of hard work to pass a class. Personally college made me more open to other people . Before college i was quiet and didnt really talk to anyone because i didnt like people because they were mean and i couldnt trust them, but when i got to college i quickly made a lot of friends and started trusting them one by one . This made me a little bit more comfortable talking to people and i know i need to have better communication skills in order to succeed in life. It is vauable to attend college because you need a higher education in order to get the job of your dreams. Y ou dont want to have a job you wil be miserable at, you want to enjoy your work and that's why its valuabe to attend college.

I have gained many things through college, the most obvious is an education in my chosen field of English Education. I can never thank my professors enough for their encouragement and dedication to my learning. I've also been given the opportunity to experience an environment different from the area I grew up in. A place of greater diversity and business, this has therefore exposed me to a different aspect of reality, which I appreciate. I have additionally discovered a higher level of dedication in myself, due to a deeper exploration of my ability to be patient. This significant experience I have been awarded through being an athlete on a team where I am not the best player or the favorite. Lastly, but most importantly to my life, I have gained the greatest friendships through my college experience. All my life I have searched for a certain kind of friendship, honest, understanding, and balanced. Yet I have never found the kind of relationship which I have myself, always promised to give, until Hofstra. College has given me the opportunity to get to know some of the best women I have ever met, for this I will be eternally grateful.

Kolbie

With my college experience, I got a chance to learn about other religion and race. I graduated with less than a hundred students. I live in a smaller community where most of the people share common beliefs. I never saw anyone different from me, but my first semester of college I never realized how different we all are. Naturally, I mingled with peers, and I was astonished with some of their views. Meeting different people and listening to them made me think about my beliefs and maturity. I met a lot people in my first semester and I feel this experience has helped sculpt me into what I should be. Though, I did see the differences in each of us, but I saw the kind of people in this world. Meeting different people changed my views more ways than one. Some thoughts were negative, which led me to see some are untrustworthy, manipulative, and distasteful. I realize these people I?m going to school with are the people I?ll be working with in the future. I value my attendance in college, because the effect of my grade average, but how others can effect my future in the work office.

SANDRE

MY COLLEGE EXPERICENCE HAVE NOT PROCESS YET I WILLL BE ATTENDING COLLEGE IN THE FALL AND WHAT I WILL LIKE TO GET OUT OF IT IS . EDUCATION, UPGRADE ON MY MEDICAL SKILLS AND A PROFESSION. An EDUCATION BECAUSE WITH OUT AN EDUCATION WHAT ARE YOU LEARN AND HOW WILL I SUCCED IN LIFE. EVERYONE NEEDS AN EDUCATED TO MOVE ON. I LEARNED A LOT IN MY MEDICAL CLASSES BUT RIGHT NOW THERE ARE NEW DIESASE AND THE ONLY WAY TO KNOW ABOUT THESE AND TO PROTECT THE PATIENTS AND MY SELF IS TO UPGRADE MY EDUCATION ON THE SKILLS OF TODAY AND THE FUTURE. MY PROFESSION IS BECOMING A NEONATEL NURSE OR A DOCTOR SO THAT?S MY GOAL AT THIS POINT I?M DOING MY BEST TO STAY IN THIS FIELD AND I LOVE HELPING PEOPLE . I FIND IT HEART LIFTING TO KNOW THAT YOU ARE WILL TO CHANGE A LIFE OR SAVE ONE WHICH TO ME IS THE MOST IMPORTANT THING. THIS WHY COLLEGE WILL BE AN EXPERICENCE AND A GOOD CHOICE TO MAKE I KNOW WHEN I ATTEND COLLEGE I WILL NOT HAVE ANY REGRETS ABOUT MY EDUCATION KNOWING WITH MY KNOWLEDGE I CAN CHANGE MANY MINDS

I have gotten a great deal out of my college experience. I have learned how to be responsible, prioritize, take care of myself, defend myself, and be proud of who I am. Before college I was insecure, and afraid to take a stand even when I really believed in something. Now I know that I can pursue my dreams and goal, and that if I put in the hard work, I can reap the benefits of the reward, whether it be a high gpa, a good eployment opportunity, or simply being more about the world around me.

Ingrid

The first thing I would do is give my past self a great big bear hug and tell her that everything is going to work out just fine, college isn't something to be scared of. At first things will feel quite lonely because the transition you're making affects your whole lifestyle. The faces around you belong to strangers, your family is suddenly not around 24/7, late night meals tempt you everywhere, your sleeping hours suddenly dwindle, and your classes seem to be in buildings you just can't find on the campus map. It's like the universe is making every little thing work against your favor and you can't seem to regain control. But alas, be comforted because there's this little magic thing called time that will heal all your wounds. Those strangers will soon become some of your closest friends, your eating and sleeping habits will find balance once you get used to your schedule, you'll be reunite with your family once your first break comes around, and those buildings will suddenly appear on your map. So don't worry your head off because college is great, for now just breathe easy.

"Get a job, you bum!" Upon traveling back in time to senior year I would tell myself to stepup and get a job. During senior year of high school, pressured by my mom, I searched for a job, but with little effort I was never employed. I applied at several places, never called or checked the status of my application, but prefered to hang with my friends. I should have spent the time to find a job, which would have helped relieve the burden of college tuition off my parents shoulders. With two younger sisters and separated parents money was tight when paying for first semester of college. We came very close to being unable to pay for the second semester. If I could go back in time to give myself advice then the pressure of paying tution might have been lifted off my parents shoulders.

Caela

If I could go back and talk to myself as a high school senior, the first thing I would emphasize is to go visit a lot more colleges. I feel like I did not see all of the colleges I would have like to. In addition, I would have talked to myself about my selfishnish in choosing this school. Although I love it, my family's financial situation is very bad because of Hofstra's expenses. I would go back and tell myself to work harder to get more scholarships. In addition, I would tell myself to look at a lot of other schools of less expense. Therefore, I would have maybe picked a different school, keeping my family's needs in mind. Also, I would have looked more deeply into what types of majors I would have wanted to do. I wold have told myself to take a deeper look into possible majors and what I would have wanted to do with my future. By discussing all of these things with myself back then, I would be more stable in college today.

I would tell myself to apply for more scholarships. I will also tell myself to apply to and visit more schools.

Rhina

I would have myself apply for five scholarships a day so that I would not be struggling to pay for school the way I am now. I would have to remind myself that I am on my own out here and there will no one to do it for you, you have to do this all on your own without giving up.

I am honestly a person who feels like you can only learn and grow from your mistakes. However, if I had to give myself advice about college life and making the transition to college, I would tell myself that it is not as scary or as hard as everyone makes it seem. Before moving into my dorm I remember being a totally mess. I was scared that I was not prepared enough to live on my own and that I lack both self-control and self-discipline to succeed in school. With one semester already under my belt I have proven myself wrong. I enjoy making my own rules, and granted that sometimes means having to suffer my own consequences, I know that I have grown as a person these last few months. So I would definitely reassure myself that college is not as scary as everyone makes it out to be.

Hey you! This is your last year of high school and you own the school. Have fun with it. Don't worry about grades as much as getting everything you can from your last year of a free education. Try your hardest to get things changed in the high school that you think need to be fixed. Get involved with the community. Having a drive to interact with locals around school will follow you to college where you can volunteer and make a difference in more people's lives. Do homework at home. Don't wait until the class period beforehand. It's a bad pattern because college homework means more and should be given the proper thought and time to complete. Do as many scholarship applications as you can. The smallest amount helps in the long run. And have fun! Learning is fun and although so many people do not want to be in high school senior year, you do, so don't let them bring you down. Try your hardest at everything and think about college as a place where everyone cares as much as you do about knowledge. From, College Me

Elise

Having experienced college I certainly learned some things I wish I had known previously. The biggest advice I would give my younger self would be take time off and not rush through the college life. The time could be anywhere from a semester to a year. The draw of this would be to experience the real world and gain an outward view college life. I have done a lot of review and that's one thing I felt I lacked as a student. I lacked the foresight of what it all really meant. An advisor said it best, ?when you?re here, you're thinking I need to do this to get out quick.? It wasn't so much about taking in the environment and building a life. It seemed more about doing the daily class routine which I was accustom to for how many years of my life. The only adage was college parties. In effect that is what my advice would be to myself. Get out of the bubble and contemplate on what the true objective is in having a college life and attaining a degree.

Don't stress. Ironically, if I could talk to myself as a high school senior, I wouldn't be able to stress those two words enough. My entire senior year was somewhat reminiscent of the sinking of the Titanic. Everyone of my classmates and I stressed about everything from the SATs to college visits, from financial aid awards to college major choices. We ran about trying to find scholarships as though they were life boats, imagining that the majestic ship of our childhood was sinking, and sinking fast. We all felt our hearts race when we got report cards, test scores and acceptance letters, each one feeling like it's own glacier which was about to sink our hopes of becoming succesful adults. Now that I've lived through that whole precess and come out on the other side, I can safely say that while the college application process may seem like a sinking ship at first, if you take a deep breath, relax, and stop stressing out about everything, you can finish it all and still maintain your sanity. Don't stress, don't panic. It will all be fine and you'll end up the better for it.

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a High School senior, I would tell myself to bring more stamps, less clothes, to call my mother every Sunday (at least), and to break up with my high school boyfriend because he cheated on me. In all seriousness, I would tell myself to do my homework (ALL OF IT) when it was assigned, and to get to sleep earlier. I would make sure that I understood how important my friends are, and to take it seriously when a friend seemed upset, because she might have gotten herself into trouble. I would tell myself to be more open to clubs, to audition for the Acapella group, and to not be afraid of anything. Because I've found out I'm braver than I thought I was. And it's been a great half a year so far.

I would tell myself to be prepared for a lot of changes. Also, that I should try and meet people from all walks of life since Hofstra is pretty diverse. Be prepared to deal with difficult classes, professors, students and roomates. Even though I've overcome the obstacles of high school, college is a very different experience that requires some time to get used to. I would also tell myself to join as many clubs as possible especially the rowing club, Hofstra Crew, which I am actually a part of, because joining it was by far one of the best decisions of my life. I would explain to myself to enjoy living on campus but to also sit down and study often to stay ahead of the workload from all my classes.

Adrian

I would advise myself to get a job, and to get my schoolwork done. So that someday, I won't have to worry about anything and I can build the next space ship that could take us to the far recesses of space.

Jill

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior, I would advise myself to become more open minded to people who are different than me. I am a small town girl who grew up in a town of predominantly white people, and I was in for a rude awakening when I stepped foot on the grounds of Hofstra. I had to learn the hard way that people do not come from the same background that I do. I realized that I was ignorant of other people's cultures and ethnicities. I would advise the high school me to learn about the many different people of the world, and understand how they live their lives compared to how I live mine. I would also tell myself to become more mature and accepting so that I could make my transition from high school to college more smooth and easy.

Jara

Did you really think you would be able to deal with the cafeteria food? I don't think so. Stock up on your usual Snickers and donuts, because 60 percent of the time, the cafeteria is either closed, or never selling the food you want. When you are in luck, the chicken nuggets are rather lackluster, and the pizza is frozen. But do not fear! McDonalds is always right around the corner! Save your money. It is ok to dress down for class, but looking like a bum can cost you. "Oh, you're the girl with the Spongebob pajama pants!". Use the library. Your room can be the biggest distraction. Especially when Jack Bauer is dominating a terrorist on the television screen. CALL YOUR PARENTS. Make sure the laundry machine is working before you save all your dirty clothes of two weeks, and pile them all up on Sunday, only to find the machine busted. This leaves you with soggy, smelly shirts, and shorts in the winter. Ditching class was SO high school, you are not a rebel anymore. Oh yea, did I mention CALL YOUR PARENTS? THEY LOVE YOU! (Bringing back a gift always works!)

Gerald

Relax and stay focused on what is important to you. Enjoy your time in school, but remember that you are preparing yourself for the rest of your life. Remember that the people around you today may end up as your peers, supervisors, or subordinates, down the road and your actions and treatment of them now may have a serious effect on how they see you, treat you, and respect you later.

Katharine

I would tell myself to pick a school that is more like my high school - small campus with small class sizes. I chose a large college and I regret it because I feel very out of place because it is so different from what I am used to. I would also tell myself to pick a college that is in an area that is more like where I grew up. The college I go to now is in a very suburban area and I dont feel comfortable there because it is nothing like the area where I grew up. Basically, I would tell myself to focus on picking a school that is more like my high school so that the transition to college isn't very hard.

The advice I would give myself is to be yourself for that is how one finds their true friends and to work hard, stay determined and never give up because anything is possible.

I would tell myself to really buckle down and figure out what I want to do in the real world. I would work harder at what I was good at so it would have a bigger "pay-off" in college. I would tell myself to give it my all and don't get addicted to the senioritus!