Hofstra University

« See more reviews of Hofstra University

I wish i knew about the way professors teach in Hofstra. Transferring from Berkeley College to Hofstra, i automatically detected the carelessness of professors towards their students. Professors expect everyone to have a great amount of knowlegde about everything they are taking. Students are let to wander around and find their own ways. There are less teachings going on in the class rooms but students are expected cover everything at their time.This is the reason why my GPA dropped, because i have to discover everything in textbooks by myself.

I wished I had known how much greek life meant at Hofstra University. I dislike the fact that students have to go through rites of passages to be apart of a group that apparently is looked up to by other regular students. I dislike the fact that when I do fill out scholarship forms at the university, preference is mostly given to students who are Italian and/or apart of the Greek community. Had I known all of this prior to applying to this school, maybe I would've considered joining one.

Generally speaking, in college it is especially important that an individual be proactive. Hofstra University is a relatively large campus and there is not anybody around to hold your hand and guide you to various activities fairs and lead you to job opportunities. It is the responsibility of the student to be persistent and repeatedly call offices and meet with teachers if they want something. Other than that, I am thoroughly satisifed with my choosing Hofstra University.

I wish I had known how to finance my life better. It is very difficult to financially be stable especially in an independent environment. To understand the meaning of finance is to know how to control his or her expenses and his or her income. At a university, it is difficult to keep up the grades and have income at the same time. Therefore, I wish I had known and had honed the skills I need to stay in school by maintaining my finances.

That some scholarships were freshman-only, that it is more inviting than the brochures illustrate, that it's meals are expensive, and that the academic atmosphere during finals is the only notable time that spurs everyone to their academic potential (or to the cramming that manages poorly for long-term recall) and therefore that that time of the semester is the only that draws me to my studying prime (which I personally dislike),

I wish I would have known just how big the class sizes really were and how daunting they could be. After graduating from one of the biggest Catholic High Schools in the country I figured that college would be a piece of a cake. I didn't fully realize the enormity of a University Campus and just how daunting it could be when you didn't know a single soul. I just wish I would have prepared myself slightly better for the shock.

I wish I knew that in order to get a scholarship you needed to be out of high school at least a year in order for your SAT scores to be ignored for evaluation. I graduated high school with a 98.3 GPA and ranked 76 out 456 students, but since I am not quite as good on standardized tests as one would like, I did not get scholarship when I transfered here because it was during the spring of my freshman year.

I wish I had known about the difficulty of finding financial aid. Although recieving some, I wish that there were more opportunities on campus to earn money. In addition, I feel like the jobs are very hard to find. If there were more fairs on campus so that the students would be more aware of the job opportunities, it would help a lot of the students in need of financial aid.

Before arriving at Hofstra University I wish I had known that it would be the best decision I have ever made in order to erase all of the doubt that the college selection process gave me. It truly is where I belong and I know that I will succeed in my field of study throughout my life because of the education I will receive from this amazing university.

As a senior in high school, I wish I would have kept in open mind as for as my major. Before this school, I attending two other universities. The change in universities was due to a change in my major after my first college. If I was to keep my options open, I would not have been behind in my class status. I would have saved a semester and money.