Hofstra University Campus Life Reviews

Overall Review for Hofstra University

Carlos

Yeh

Christina

The moment I step into Hofstra University I immediately fell in love. The campus is beautiful. The faculty and staff is wonderful and extremely nice and will always say hello to you. The teachers are always available to talk to and find time to help you when you need it. Class size is perfect for more student teacher interaction. There is always extracurricular activities going on and festivals on weekends. I absolutely love this school.

Blair

I enjoy attending Hofstra. I've found a great variety there from courses to people. It is a good mix of urban and suburban. I love the clubs. It's easy to change your major until you find one that fits. The staff is amazing and helpful during office hours. They are there to help you. The food in the area is good.

Ryan

Overall Hofstra has a very welcoming environment. As a student you look for the negatives but the school is well rounded with a lot of things to do from campus activities, to club fairs, and even sports events. The teachers are always available to talk about the lessons and to help with anything you need. Many professors will sit with you and go over tests if you are really struggling. The diversity of the campus is lacking, with a majority of the students coming from a higher class than the neighborhoods that hofstra is surrounded by. Despite that the school is great place to start your journey.

Abdul

During my two and a half years of masters, I have met students from not only the tristate area but also as far as Alaska. It makes sense, as Hofstra offers more than 100 dual degree programs, has a medical school, a law school, a stellar MBA program, and a brand new PA program. With that said, don’t expect to find pep rallys surrounding the basketball or football team. However, what Hofstra lacks in a sports atmosphere, it more than makes up for it through other ways. Hosting its third presidential election debate, starting in 2008, Hofstra has definitely brought pride to its students, alumni and the larger Long Island community.

Megha

Hofstra University is an esteemed institution geared towards serving the students as they aim for bright futures. The organized faculty assists both on an academic level and social. Hofstra allows you to work hands on in your desire field as you prepare for your career path. There is no other university that has dedicated itself to the comfort and security the way Hofstra has.

Zachary

It's overall pretty good. Students are rarely hungry and the dorms are comfortable. Public safety is everywhere so I always feel safe. Most teachers are helpful and can be reached for extra help during office hours. People are rather friendly and there are tons of extra curricular activities to partake in.

Overall, Hofstra University has provided me with an amazing education and a life full of purpose. I truly found a home on campus through communicating with my peers as well as educators. The campus is the perfect size for me. There were so many opportunities that I was provided with the set me up for success in the future. As a current senior, I would do anything to restart my college career again!

I genuinely love attending Hofstra University. It has something for everyone, and stresses intellectual opportunities and conversation. Hofstra, I believe, is a hub for students and intellectuals who want that conversation, and genuinely want to make an impact, not just pass their classes. It's an extremely diverse campus, which is an amazing experience. Overall, I think Hofstra deserves a to be a well-known name across the Northeast at least, and an option that more people consider.

Gabrielle

My experience at Hofstra University has been life-changing. As a freshman student, I was accepted into the Direct-Entry PA Program. This program has given me the ability to further develop and communicate exactly what I'd like to do with my future. Hofstra provides students with diverse experiences and learning opportunities. Its proximity to New York City, gives students the opportunity to experience the real world in classes and in internships. There are opportunities for everyone and they seem to be endless!

senai

Hofstra University is a great institution for a liberal arts education. I noticed that students and professors create a supportive foundation around in-class discussions that commonly invoke critical observations and coherent cognition of given concepts. Seemingly, the Hofstra pride staff lookout for their students, if ever confronted with issues.

Nicholas

It's a very fine campus. There is a very heavy emphasis on the arts here, which is part of the reason I chose it. As a computer engineer who was heavily involved in the arts throughout high school, I feel perfectly at home at Hofstra. Here, I can practice and learn my trade while also holding onto my hobbies I enjoyed throughout high school. The only downside is that food can get a bit pricey, but it's still decent quality food.

anthony

Through my two years at Hofstra University, I have enjoyed my time so far. My teachers have been great to me and they are always available when I have a question or am struggling with anything. Being a commuter, its always harder making friends compared to living on campus, but with Hofstra being a small campus compared to others I have felt right at home and I've made some great connections so far. With my mom attending Hofstra previously, I think that has helped me during my overall experience and I and forever thankful. I hope these next two years provide more pleasure for me and I will be graduating at a proud alumni from Hofstra University.

cristina

Hofstra is a great academic place also a good place to grow and met lots of new people.

Daylen

Hofstra is a very inclusive, incredible, opportunistic university. It allows you to pursue all sorts of degrees, and experience what college is truly supposed to be like.

John

This is my third year attending Hofstra University. I have found it to be a very welcoming community where I have been able to explore opportunities and thrive as a student and as an individual. I would encourage anyone who likes small class sizes and large university advantages to visit our campus. Fun fact over 90% of students graduate with jobs or admission to graduate programs after four years of attending. (mic drop)

Zachary

I like it. Enough said. I feel safe on campus, the students are (usually) friendly and everyone feels included. I feel I have done most of my personal growth and development as a student while here on this campus. There are moments where I really hate it here but for the most part I wouldn't want to be anywhere else.

Joseph

This university embraces every student and wants to push them toward success. They encourage us to challenge ourselves, even when we think we can't achieve our end goal. They know how to instruct for the real world, bringing in professors with experience who then give students as much experience n the classroom as possible. Hofstra students get involved, not only in their major but in things that they are passionate about. With over 140 majors and a club for every interest, Hofstra really is a great place not only to discover yourself, but it also allows you to reach your goals and leave here saying "I got this!"

Yasmin

I cannot tell a lie: I am without a doubt a proud member of the Hofstra Pride. Hofstra University truly is an amazing school containing an endless stream of opportunities. The campus itself is gorgeous and pretty big for a private university, but still not so big that it's overwhelming. From the very first time I stepped onto the campus I got a "homey" feeling, and that has stuck around throughout the years I've been there. The community on campus is great as well, we have so many clubs that there is literally something for everyone. Sure, Hofstra is not at all located in a college town, in fact, it still baffles me that such a nice university located in such less than ideal town - that's putting it lightly. However, the atmosphere of the campus itself, the next city over (Garden City), and NYC being a 45-minute train ride away balances every thing out pretty nicely. Hofstra is a great place academics wise too. Being a Hofstra student opens so many doors to astounding opportunities, not only while you're a student but especially once you've graduated. The resources are definitely there, you just have to take advantage of them. Also, I've come across some amazingly helpful and support professors and faculty during my time there. My ONE complaint about Hof - now that they've gotten rid of Lackmann as our dining provider- is hinted at in my review title: IT'LL COST YA. Hofstra is very expensive in every way possible, from the tuition to the housing to on campus dining to the bookstore and more. I seriously die a little inside every time I think about how much student debt I'm in, and I'm still not done yet. It definitely doesn't help that our financial aid office is not the easiest to deal with, which is super frustrating because a lot of students spend A LOT of time having to deal with them. In fact, a lot of the bigger, main administrative offices could use some improvement. A lot of the time I see where my money is going and I'm satisfied for the most part, there have been issues that have popped up and I find myself questioning,"HOW IS THIS AN ISSUE WITH ALL THE MONEY WE'RE ALL PAYING YOU?!" So all in all, Hofstra: an absolutely amazing school to attend, but at a price. Literally.

D

Hofstra is NYs best kept secret, its location to NYC is awesome, the ability to take classes outside your major is unparalleled. Events, activities, and greek life add to the overall campus life.

Great school with a lot of amazing opportunities. Your proximity to the city comes in handy for weekend trips and for networking! Always tons to do on and off campus. Professors are friendly and always there to help

Akashdeep

I will be an incoming freshman at Hofstra. I attended the New Student Orientation on June 19 which lasted 3 days. In those 3 days, i toured the campus, got to meet the facility, staff, president, students etc. There is nothing to be afraid of because the environment is so relaxing. Everyone is so polite and respectful. The professors want to help the students if they are having trouble. There is so much access to transportation that you can never get lost. I stayed there for 2 nights and the campus was on another level. We got to explore with our orientation staff for 2 days. They made us sit in classes so we can know how it feels to be a college student. On the last day, we were official Hofstra students. We had to go create our fall schedule with the help of our advisors. Overall, Hofstra makes you feel that you belong here.

Anna

Amazing school with amazing professors. Professors are always accessible and prioritize students. Students are more than just a body or a number; they are individuals. Each student's opinion is valued and considered. All of the technology and resources on campus are well above average.

Meghan

I am a grad student at Hofstra, and I also went there for undergrad. I absolutely loved my undergrad experience, and so far I'm loving my grad experience, too. Everyone from the faculty, to the administration, to the staff is so nice and helpful. There are also plenty of activities to take part in. I'm a commuter so that was definitely a big positive. And I can't say enough good things about the Lawrence Herbert School of Communication. I've learned so much about the comm business through engaging classes, WRHU, and other amazing opportunities the school provided. I highly recommend Hofstra University for anyone.

Danny

once your entering the school you feel the unexplainable experience, the whole college experience. classes are small which helps the student to have more of a connection with their teachers and also a lot of recreational activities to partake when there is of course extra time in your hands.

Brandi

I love Hofstra! I visited once, for admitted students day and I instantly fell in love! The campus is beautiful, and everyone (students and staff) is super nice. It is a very welcoming school that encourages student involvement for everything. They incorporate a lot of free events throughout the school year, and have an incredible amount of diverse clubs that work to host free or reasonably priced activities as well.

James

It's a decent school, not great, and the academics can be a walk in the park if you put a bit of time in. Party culture and fraternal organization are around – including some shadier "off-campus" options – and can sometimes be a very negative experience (a google search of Hofstra's Sigma Pi chapter will enlighten you). The GS/Geography department and Geology/Environment/Sustainability department are very welcoming and helpful to students that reach out. On-campus resources – including security, therapy, and extracurriculars – are very strong and often overlooked despite being largely positive.

Overall, I think that Hofstra University is an amazing school! There are plenty of opportunities to get involved and there is almost always something going on. There is a lot of parties on the weekends, but there is no pressure to attend. Everyone is very supportive and caring towards one another.

Anam

I did not think I would end up going to Hofstra it just happened out of no where. However I feel like it was one of the greatest decisions I have ever made. This place has made me realize so much about myself and the world around me. I can't wait to keep living my experience.

Holly

It is a great school and a lot of opportunities come from Hofstra.

Daylen

Hofstra is a phenomenal school, that is always striving to grow and change for its students. The campus is beautiful and safe and the student population is diverse. Great place to go for undergrad and grad schools. The professors are incredibly kind and will always make the time for you when it comes to needing help in a class whether it's online or not.

Cassidy

I love my school and the program I am in. There are only a few things I wish were different. One being, the surrounding area is not a good one. If you are walking around off campus you should always walk with someone else. Thats what would make living off-campus tricky for me, if I ever made that decision, since I don't own a car. My only other complaint would be the food. I understand that you can't have super high expectations when it comes to university food but I felt, as a dance major, I deserved better options in order to fuel myself throughout my, very long, days.

Athena

If you are looking for a college experience that includes small class sizes, an array of clubs and a strong Liberal Arts Program, attend Hofstra University. It definitely feels as though the academic and career center staff care about their students and they are committed to giving resources to help further your education. In some cases the school is lacking, for example, many commuter students complain that not enough is done for them to feel as though they are an integral part of the community. Additionally, diversity is lacking. As a black female on campus, there are many instances where I feel seen but not heard. Small classes are definitely an advantage because you can connect with students in your area of study as well as have a more intimate relationship with your professors. The facilities are great, and over all Hofstra is a pretty good Liberal Arts School.

Christine

Hofstra has a decent understudy to teacher proportion which makes it truly simple to become acquainted with your educators and make inquiries in class. It likewise has a grounds that is anything but difficult to get around and strolling spans over a bustling road to get from one side of grounds to the next. Despite the fact that I've just lived in one living arrangement lobby I've seen a wide range of dormitory alternatives and in light of the fact that Hempstead is by and large truly costly the average cost for basic items on grounds isn't as terrible as I anticipated that it would be! All things considered a really extraordinary school with bunches of chances to join clubs, greek associations, and scholastic social orders. Coming to Hofstra was by a wide margin one of the best choices I have ever constructed! The grounds vibe is everything that I was searching for in a school, and I couldn't be more joyful here. I have made astonishing companions that will endure forever, and the teachers are a portion of the best that I've at any point experienced. One of them is entirely during the time spent helping me get my first temporary job! They're all so intrigued and put resources into your prosperity, and that was something that I was truly searching for in a school. You're not simply one more name or confront, and that itself is amazingly useful when attempting to make sense of what you need to do after school. That, as well as the way that it's just 30 minutes from the city via prepare is AMAZING! I would emphatically prescribe Hofstra to anyone who is searching for an incredible training, while in the meantime prepared to have encounters and companions that will endure forever.

Grace

Coming to Hofstra as a transfer student, I find the environment here to be one that is welcoming and encouraging. Between the knowledgable professors who also actively work in their fields, and fellow students who are equally passionate and eager to succeed and learn, it provides a healthy challenge that forces me to surpass my expectations of myself and my abilities in ways I didn't believe possible. I have developed relationships with people that extend past the classroom, and I find myself surrounded by individuals who truly care about and appreciate me. As with any university, there is always room for improvement (the breathtakingly high tuition rates most prominent), however, Hofstra truly embodies its motto of 'Pride and Purpose', and fosters an atmosphere that pushes its students to become great leaders and world changers. I am proud to be a member of the Hofstra Pride, and am grateful for how it has helped me grow as a professional in my career as well as through my own personal development as a human being.

Justin

I enjoy Hofstra University. I am learning a lot in my classes and enjoy the diversity. There is a good amount of classes to choose from and the opportunity to student abroad is exciting. The dormitories have been renovated and the RAs are trustworthy.

Taylla

Hofstra University has offered me great opportunities inside and outside of the classroom. I love this school because I feel like I can have an identity and a voice within my community. The campus is gorgeous and has a home-like feel to it. I always appreciate the fact that I can call this place home. I have met all kind of people from all of the world. My relationships with my professors and classmates have been motivation and support in my academic career.

Finally deciding to attend Hofstra is the best decision I ever made. They give all their students an equal opportunity for success. I would not be doing the things that I have been able to do at Hofstra at other colleges. I truly feel at home on campus.

Jasmine

I have spent the past 4 years on Hofstra's campus and I absolutely love it! There is such a great community here, between the students the faculty and staff you get such a great support system. I couldn't imagine having gone to school anywhere.

Nadeem

Hofstra is such an great school. The diversity here is amazing and the professional staff here are always able to provide assistance. The food is pretty good here too, overall great place.

Willy

Hofstra has proved to be the optimal college for me. The professors are amazing and so helpful and classes really push you to learn. Hofstra is not only great for academics but provides a great community atmosphere as well. There are so many clubs and activities that it is nearly impossible to be bored. The facilities are top notch and extremely well maintained. Overall I love Hofstra and would recommend it to anyone starting the college search!

Kara

I believe that Hofstra has provided me with an incredible education and given me multiple opportunities to grow as a person. Whether it be in my major or outside of my major, I have been able to pursue my multitude of interests such as a capella, community service, and intramural sports. We have over 200 clubs to get involved with, so it is easy to find your place. I really love and appreciate the small class sizes because it allows me to get to know my professors and the other people in my class more. I currently live off-campus because it is cheaper and there is more freedom, but I did enjoy the community and safety of living on campus. Overall, Hofstra is a great school as long as you take advantage of all the resources and opportunities presented to you.

Izzy

Choosing Hofstra University was definitely one of the greatest decisions I've ever made. Coming from a small suburban town, proximity to NYC was something that I was definitely looking for in a school, and being a 35-minute train ride from the city is something that I've definitely been taking advantage of. In addition, Hofstra's School of Communication is ranked #2 by LinkedIn in terms of students who get jobs immediately after college. Internships are required for all communication students, so it was amazing knowing that I would be going into the field with prior experience. Not only that, but there are only approximately 7,500 undergraduate students, with an average class size of about 21 students, so students are able to have professional relationships with their professors. Overall, I could not imagine being anywhere but Hofstra. The opportunities that it has provided me are more than I could have every imagined, and I strongly encourage all high school students to keep Hofstra in mind during their college search! :)

Jonathan

Hofstra has provided me with many opportunities inside and outside the classroom. The beautiful campus makes you feel part of a family like community has been great for making great friends, and allowing me to be successful. Everyone here wants you to succeed, and the professors make themselves readily available in order for you to do that. The proximity to New York City allows for students to get amazing internship opportunities throughout the year, and also allow students to enjoy the culture and fun of the city as well. This university has so many opportunities from a broad range of classes, clubs, and experiences that everyone will be able to find their place here.

Caitlin

My opinion of Hofstra University is that it is an amazing school and has many opportunities to partake in. There are over 200 clubs so there is something for everyone to join. I enjoy my classes and my professors know my name and they are always willing to write me recommendations. As an education major, I do have to have another major, so I chose STEM to make myself more marketable. This is nice because I get more experience teaching subjects and I do have the opportunity to teach in a classroom for three semesters before I begin the student teaching semester. This gives me a wide range of experience because I get to teach a variety of grades and schools. Hofstra is willing to help me find schools that are close by because I do not have a car on campus, so I know that Hofstra is able to help me and accommodate my needs. Not all campuses are perfect, but Hofstra comes pretty close when I was looking at colleges.

Celine

I thought Hofstra was going to be an amazing school when I first applied, but all they really care about is money. I strongly believe that all of the money I pay for tuition goes into decoration for the campus. The computer systems in financial aid seem to be so outdated, for example there are many times when I have paid my tution and then later I find out that I have a hold on my account because of "outstanding balance". The students on campus also seem to be centered around money, they only choose to become friends with those who have a higher financial status. Professors are average, however most don't really seem to care about students. There have been many professors who never answer student emails or never have office hours. As for being a Biology major, it's pretty though. Biology on it's own is difficult but I find that the entire university is focused on it's business students and they don't even think twice about the biology students. In my opinion I see Hofstra as being an unequal university.

Kristen

I love it, I'm so lucky to have gone to such a diverse school with so many opportunities. It's a medium size, so you're able to get the resources you'd want from a large school while also getting the attention that you would expect from a smaller school.

Julio

I would say Hofstra is a great place to get to know who you really are. I would suggest all students applying for college to always try and live on campus. Being on your own helps you grow and become more independent. Hofstra is a fun place; one will always find that person you could identify with. There are extracurricular activities for all the tastes. Even if some students like something bizarre, or something that is far from normal; Hofstra would have people that share the same interests as you. I love Hofstra and I would not have seen myself in another school.

Celine

I think it's a good university, however there are goods and bads. The professors seems to be alright, there are some who seem to be a little stuck up and rude. Faculty will sometimes try and give you information that does not affect you. They will try to sugar-coat many things especially the financial advisors. This is probably a way for the school to make more money. Overall I think you just need to be fully prepared when you walk in because Hofstra is a bit tricky.

Corine

Overall I really like Hofstra. It's a cool environment and I've met some really great people there. The food is great too and I like my professors. The parties could be better though. They need a better DJ. The frats only play one type of music but I wish they would play more of a variety.