Hollins University Top Questions

I would tell my high school self to ignore everyone around me in high school. Or, since I did that, do it even more confidently. Those bullies wouldn't hurt me anymore. At the college I chose, the idea of no one being mean to me would be so foreign I would find it to be very weird. I would actually grow confidence as my time at the school went on. High school is a hell hole that my former self has to work through to get to what is essentially a paradise.

Noelle

You are still human- do not forget that. You have never learned to put down your defenses and you often feared being wounded by others if you ever were to appear weak for once. Intelligence has always been number one and emotions were a sign of weakness. However, I need you to understand that your greatest allies will not care about your grades. They will not judge you if you break down in tears and you must know that you will grow to love these people. Yes, keep up your grades; yes, stay strong when people do attack you with words, but don't you dare be afraid to find friends. Grades are only part of the college experience; you will learn that. Learn sooner than later that emotions are necessary to connect with not only fellow students but professors- and they want to see you feel. You have fought so hard that you have forgotten that you are more than just a grade. Remember that you are a human being and that emotions are natural. Nothing is wrong with a few tears; you will feel better than you ever have before when you learn to share them with others.

Aleena

Dear Aleena, Trust yourself and follow your dreams. Your heart will show you the path that you need to take and it will lead you to your dream world. Sometimes, along the way, you will get lost, but the sun will arise every morning and you will always find a way out. Many paths lead to one destiny; take risks and explore your surroundings and yourself; don’t just look in front of you. What’s around you is what you need to meet your goals. Bring with you every piece of knowledge, and every lesson you learn from your mistakes to become a better person. Enjoy the experience; share your story and hear what others have to say; learn from each other and support each other. Don’t forget to rest. Moving forward is necessary, but if you forget to eat, to laugh, to try new things, and to build a community, you won’t get far. Throughout your journey, you may discover a new path and you may create new dreams; don’t be afraid to change and start over; it may lead you to a better place. Just trust yourself and know that it will be okay.

To my high school self: STOP FREAKING OUT. I know applying to colleges and figuring out which one is best for you and how you're going to pay for it is super stressful, but don't worry! You'll end up in the right place and it'll all be fine. You have the rest of your life to be stressed (trust me, there's plenty of things to stress out about in college!) Enjoy your last year of high school, your last year with the friends you've had since elementary school, your last summer with absoluetly no responsibilties. Go be young and reckless. College will come sooner than you think, and here are a few tips for when it does. Invest in a blazer/business attire - you're going to have a job interveiw eventually. When someone invites you to dinner, GO. Get as many general education classes as you can out of the way freshmen year- you don't want to be stuck taking them as a senior. Let loose at a frat party, but never skip your Monday 8am. Coffee and naps are your best friends. Join a club. And finally, just have fun!

Maegan

I would advise myself to try not to stress so much. I would also advise myself to slow down and enjoy college.

I would tell my high school self to study! Even though I didn't have to study in high school, it was required in college to do well. I would also tell myself to learn how to stop procrastinating on homework, papers, reading, etc. Although I did well in my undergraduate work, I think I had the potential to do even better if I had applied myself even more. I don't think I'd tell myself anything else except to enjoy the ride and don't take it for granted - four years goes by in a flash!

Kalyn

Don't assume people are going to come up to you and talk with you right away. You have to get outside and make friends. Remember all those nights crying because you didn't have any friends? Yeah. Could have been prevented. Though you did shoot yourself in the foot with your unbearable shyness, eventually you found a couple friends you could talk to. It's just how things go. You have to give love in order to recieve it. But you will turn out all right in the end. Don't worry. You came here to study, and study you shall!

Lorraine

Apply for scolarships by the priotity deadline. Use all available resourses, including online resources, teachers, librarians, and counselors. Start saving for college early, get a part time job during the summer, and put all the money directly into a savings account so that it can gain interest and avoid the money made from getting spent. Study hard to get a high gpa as many scholarships are merit based, and universities ang colleges especially look at gpa. Start at a community colleege, make sure your classes will transferto two prospective universities you wish to attend, and reviece an associates degree before moving on to a bachelors. The cost is less, and it leaves you with a sdegree to put on your resume when applying for jobs. File your fafsa as soon as possible, and study hard for all standarized tests as thier scores also are considered by most colleges. Apply to your university by the early decision date to have more time to contact school officials about scholarships and other financial assistance. Consider class sizes at your university and the campus size. Visit the campus BEFORE school starts. Build a resume, and volunteer at local non-profit organizations and school functions.

Hillary

At most college orientations studens are welcomed to their college campus, but at Hollins University we had a scheduled orientation including movie nights and white water rafting. The very first day of moving in the president of the university stopped by each freshman dorm to welcome us new students. I have made many new friends that I consider my sisters. So far I have gained amazing friendships, not only with students, but with my professors as well. I have only been through one semester of college and I already have had so many opportunities here. Here is a small list I compiled of why it has been a vaulable experience while attending Hollins University: - Professor know your name and want to help you succeed - I am not afriad to ask for help - I have made life-lasting friendships - The finincial aid staff really wants to help make it afforable - I have my first job as an employee at my university's library and all my earnings are directly applied to my tuition - There are volunteer opportunities - Students get to climb a mountain with their crazy professors and President - I am on the Tennis team - I am confident and more outgoing

I've learned a lot in subjects I didn't think I'd care about as an English major. I've also made so many new friends and relationships that I know will last a lifetime. The English department here is fantastic and I know that the next three years will be the best.

Fiona

The most distinctive thing about Hollins was that it was small, liberal arts women's college. Isn't that a mouthfull? From it being small, I gained confidence in the classroom during discussions, having the chance to ask questions and voice my opinion. Because it was liberal arts, I was required (and liked it!) to take classes outside my major. As a music major, I was taking courses like Greek Mythology and Food Politics! Having this type of education gauranteed me the knowledge to expand my horizons and contribute to most field of education and conversation. And finally, the fact that it was a women's college. This brought many varieties of people with differences in race, culture and sexuality. I enjoyed being dispersed in that and learning about all sorts of women. Also, I found friendships and bonds that I trust will last a lifetime. All of these qualities have taken me to where I am today, studying for my Master's and pursuing my dream!

The most I have gotten is learning that I'm fine with who I am, accept myself, faults and all, and never deny who I am to make others comfortable.

As a high school senior, I thought of college as an evolved high school, a social environment I could escape once I walked out the double doors. During my college search, I believed that if I considered the social atmosphere of a university I would be compromising my academic criteria; in my mind, social activity was in competition with academics, not a complement to it. I have come to realize that I, in essence, chose my family for the next four years, those with whom I will be eating, studying, and rooming. By chance, the small, all-women's university I chose (considering only academics and tuition) nourished the kind of personal, sisterly environment without which I could not succeed. I would not have been comfortable expressing myself (in- and outside of class) at a larger, coed school. If I could speak with my high school self, I would explain that social atmosphere is as crucial as academics, and that the ?small? and "all-women's" descriptions I ignored would soon become very important to my development as a writer and as a person. College is a multifaceted experience in which one is not only learning, but living.

Annika

I would tell myself that College doesn?t have to be so intimidating. Yes it is important but it is learning process like anything else. You do not have to settle on a career now. That is not what you are working for. You are working toward gaining knowledge that will apply to what ever job you chose latter in life. Find the school that fits you. Make sure it offers a variety of subject areas that you are interested in. Experiment by taking classes you would never think of taking. They may surprise you with new knowledge or help steer you in a life direction. Just as important is the social life. You will make new and better friends that will help you learn about yourself. Time management skills and better study habits will develop quickly as you find your place with in the world of the school. Stick with what works for you and what you need. True friends understand that sometimes a paper requires you to disappear into the library for a weekend. Most importantly have fun next year. It is easier to get an ?A? in a class you enjoy. So relax and have fun.

I would have told myself to finish high school. It caused alot of stress and low self esteem over the years and even though I did get my G.E.D. I still never felt up to parr with everyone else. That's about it, the only regret I had.

It's surreal realizing that this time two years ago, my sole financial goal was an iPod. Seventeen and license-less, I earned eighty dollars a week caring for five children two blocks from my home in Richmond, VA. Five paychecks and one iPod later, I quit. The children?s father was rude, and the hours--ten a week--were "ruining" my social life, as I?d dramatically explained to my mother. If I could travel to that silver November I'd shake that kid by the shoulders and tell her to get to used it. Life is filled with bad bosses, rude people, and low pay; social lives take a backseat to work all the time. Now, a sophomore in college, I?ve learned the importance of self-sufficiency. While attending school full-time, I have two jobs. My money goes towards tuition, living expenses, and bills; the hours consistently impede my social life. Regretfully, I realize I quit that job out of fear of confrontation, irresponsibility, and laziness, despite calling myself mature. I see now I was just a child, ignorant not only in finances, but what it really means to be an adult.

High School, ah, what a time. I was scrambling for scholarships and trying to find the perfect school. I would have sat myself down and told myself this; "Take chances, work hard, make new friends, learn new things. You need to step out. Try classes that are interesting, break out from who you used to be. People are going to tell you those things anyway, but I mean it. College will be nothing if you don't work at it. Yes, classes can be tough. Yes, there will be late night studying. But something that is really more important than any of that, is that you make this place your home. If you don't make your college your new home, you'll never truly succeed there. You need to want the true experience, because sitting in your room alone because you're homesick is never going to make you succeed. The people that are doing the best in their classes here are trying new things and exploring everyday, they're not just sitting in their rooms. The only way to really transition into college, is to just dive in."

Don't take anything for granted. Scholarships doesn't grow on trees, although loans seem to. Work as hard as you can, and apply for as many awards as possible. Don't reject that chance at a job flipping burgers just because you hate working around food; any little bit helps, and nothing else will come along. Don't take anything for granted. Friends don't grow on trees either; you need to work hard to make and keep them. You can't expect everyone to be your buddy just because you go to the same school. Don't take anything for granted. You're not going to get away with not speaking in class like you did in high school, and you will need to ask the professors for help. They won't think badly of you if you're struggling. Don't take anything for granted. Time is short, and the work will take longer than you know. Don't take anything for granted; your major is not set in stone. Experiment a lot, both in course selection and in extracurriculars. The results will be shocking. Be conscientious, be brave... but don't be too hard on yourself.

MY

College is not the same as high school. You have to be much more responsible for yourself in college than in high school. Try to make your own decision right now, it will help a lot when you become a college student. Try being as much as independent as possible, practice it right now from the smallest thing such as doing laundry, cleaning your own rooms, and nobody will ask you to do your homework, it's your choice, nobody will make sure you attend classes, it's your choice, but remember you bear all the consequence. Professors won't ask to meet your parents if you fail class. Yes, Be INDEPENDENT, be RESPONSIBLE.

gennesis

I would say to my senior self that self discipline is important. In college, you are considered an adult and so ,for example, you can't rely on your professor to give you additional time to hand in a research paper because you lost the syllabus. Punctuality and prioritizing are important.I would say to really consider and think about all aspects of going to the colleges applied to (e.i. tuition,loans,location etc..) before making a final choice. And once in college, try news things (e.i. join different clubs, take classes that you wouldnt normally take etc..).

If you know what you want to do, for sure, then pick a school that has a GREAT program for that and more so that you can explore. You really dont know what you have to offer to the world until you try new things. Talk to the college seniors to see what they've gone through and ask about their college experience. Take classes outside your major and DO NOT take more than 18 credit hours. You need to enjoy yourself as well as study, so make sure to involve yourself in something that you can really have fun with. Start planning to go abroad when you are a freshman and talk to your advisor often. They help you plan out all of your classes and talk you through some of your hardest choices. Its good to check in with your professor often. Lastly, set aside time for things that are close to your heart, like family. Take every day one step at a time. It's cheezy, but you will get through all of the applications and confusion and you will be sitting in a college dorm wondering where the time went soon enough.

Aramis

I would tell myself to look very,very deep before you leap into this monster called college. I would tell myself to ask more questions about my financial aid package, find out about the other parts of the city that the school does not tell you about, and ask why there are not any minorities on the school brochure, but they were all here for your campus visit. I would tell myself that although parties and big events is not your reason for picking a school, it would be nice that you ask the students what they really do for fun because the brochure may be lying to you. Also, find out what your is your mom's plan for helping you. Do you know if she wants you to move away? Can she handle helping you with finances if this school won't give you as much aid as they promised? What if your mom becomes sick, then who do you depend on? The hard times will come sophomore year. Learn to understand that people constantly lying to you is a part of life. Determine what is right for you in every situation; you'll be happier that way.

Tabatha

I can hardly think of anything I would tell myself other than to not fear. I remember being afraid when I first went away to college because I was going to school where I would not know anyone. There is no one from my high school here and very few people from the city I'm from. The thought of being so alone in a strange place like that was terrifying. But coming here, arriving and meeting the Deans and the faculty served to ease my fear. I made wonderful friends and everyone is nice as can be. There was no need to be afraid.

Meredith

I would've told myself not to worry so much about the future. In high school, I never gave myself enough credit for the potential I had, which I wasn't able to see until college. I'd also tell myself to dive right into freshman year at college instead of hesitating. Lastly, I would want to tell myself to be excited because college holds the key to success, my spirit, and happiness!

Natasha

There is so much to consider. Please look at every aspect of the school and plan visits. Things like social life, professors, dorms, cost, and food quality are very important and can effect whether you will enjoy attending a school.

Tatiana

When it comes to finding the right college, try to visit the campus and get a feel of the student body. If the school lets you stay the night, or take a class, do it! The only way to know if you'll like a school is to actually spend a day or so on the campus as if you already living there. The only person who can make your experience is you. If you're having a hard time, see a counselor. If you want to make friends, join a club. If you're having a hard time with homework, talk to your professor. The school gives you all the tools you need to have a great experience, you just have to use them.

?Start early.? ?Search Well.? ?Be cautious.? ?Be sure.? This is the advice that they?ve told you before. To this I will add, ?Remember to smile!? This stressful search will one day be worthwhile. Remember what college is supposed to mean. It?s not about parties or sports or caffeine. Will your brain hurt after class? Will you like how it feels? Will you blindly follow someone else?s ideals? Will you aim for the stars? Will you go even higher? Will your peers understand or laugh at your desire? Will your school support dreams as big as your heart? Will it put more value on being driven or smart? Will it ask you to think or recite what you know? Will you find where you are, or be told where to go? Decide what you need, and don?t settle for less. Even when the searching brings you distress, keep your eyes set on that day in September, when you look back on all this and only remember the stars on that first night and how brightly they shone when you walked onto campus and said, ?Now I?m home.?

Esther

Visit the campus and talk with teachers and students as well as attend a reading or lecture from a visiting professor or someone else. The student should know what he or she is looking for as well, including the social life they want to have, their major, and financial situation.

I would advise that parents let their children choose which college they want to go to. I've met plenty of people who are at certain colleges only because their parents made them go and they hated it. You don't get much out of your education at a college that you don't like.

Make sure you visit the college first before officially atteding to make sure that it is the right school for you.

Symphoni

Make sure you compare the financial aid offices, research the school and its professors, off-campus activites, public transportation, and the food. It's said that when students go to college, they gain the "Freshman 15" but sometimes they are actually losing weight!!!!!

Lianne

Do your best to get where you really want to be, even if the financial situation is tough. Make sure you choose an environment that you will be comfortable getting involved in and you'll be able to succeed in both sociallay and academically. Find a place you can call your home.

To parents I would say let your child live their own life when it comes time to pick a college. It's hard, I know, but in the end, they will appreciate their success more if it's their own success. And your kids probably won't call every day. Or every other day. But that doesn't mean they don't love you. They're still your baby, but they are just trying to start their own lives now, just like you did not to long ago. To students, be careful. Don't get sucked into picking a college because all your friends are going there. Think about what you like and then look for a college that fits you. Take this time to be selfish and look for something that's going to make you happy. And college is hard. Very hard. It's so much easier to play on facebook and fill our surveys than doing that paper, but that paper is going to help you get to where you need to be in life, so do it. And don't complain. A lot of kids don't get the choice of college.

Choose an enviroment where you will be able to be yourself creatively and mentally fullfilling. Most people only have one chance to attend a university. Make it count.

Kendray

Look at as many schools as you can, including places you never thought you'd be interested. When I started my college search there were no women's colleges on the list- in the end, I had to choose between two! And I love it! Don't discount schools that seem out of the ordinary or "not your type". You might be surprised by just what your "type" actually is.

VISIT! This is the number one important thing to do. I can't count on my hand how many people who have transfered because they did not like the location of the school. Make sure that you visit, get to know the area, and get a good feel for what it's going to be like when you move in. If you're in the right place, you'll know. It'll feel right.

Don't be afraid to let your children take our private loans. Do the reasearch, but it's their education. If they really want to go somewhere let them pay for it while you pay the interest or even some of the loan! I know too many people who left Hollins because of the fear of taking our private loans, but don't let money keep you away from your dreams!

Tessa

To find the right college, one shouldn't think to forget an application because the college seems too expensive or too far away. There is only one chance to have a great college experience and it is totally dependent on the attitude the student enters with. If she starts school thinking that she wishes she had applied somewhere else, she will be less likely to succeed. Also, that disregarded application could be to the college that becomes the one that changes her life. She should go to the one that makes her feel like she's always meant to be there. However, difficult first years are common and if she starts having a hard first year, don't give up and decide it was a bad match. If she chooses the right school, it might take some time for it to choose her back. But it will.

Visit multiple times, talk to different types of students, and investigate finanicial aid options.

Shalynda

Have lots of options, do your research, make the best of your environment, be confident in who you are and don't look for others to validate you on or off campus.

Start early and make a list of what you want in a college. Do not follow what your friends are doing and keep your mind open. The college you least expect might be the one that is perfect for you.

Frances

College is a once in a lifetime oppurtunity, so enjoy it when it comes. It's amazing.

crystal

When I was choosing a college to attend, I've considered the one most important to me: will I be able to cultivate myself and grow? Certainly you get out what you put in, but it's not to say that outside factors don't have affect either. The second most important question I considered was how far away I would be from my parents. Family support is important no matter how much you think you don't like your family -you'll appreciate the help. Reinforcing my first important consideration, I thought of going to a school that was as diverse considering where it's located -even though it's nice to meet people who agree with you, you don't leave home/highschool just to go somewhere else to mimic that experience. Moving on may be scary but is well worth it for the lifelong friends you'll meet and keep.

To find the right college look for what you envision your self at in the future. I knew I wanted a small school with a intimate learning atmosphere, but if you want to got to large football games then a larger school is for you. Have no fear in visiting multiple schools and asking current students as many questions as possible. You want to know their opinions. It could also help to take a survey of some-sort but not neccessary. To make the most of your college experience, GET INVOLVED!! I am an overachiever and the Vice- President of the Student Government and I wouldn't change it for the world. I speak up in classes which helps professors notice you and like you, which comes in handy for recommendations and joining clubs and sports are a good way to make life-long friends. and trust me if there isn't a club you like, make one up. the great part of college is the freedom to explore classes, interests and so much more, so take it for all its worth. your paying for it..

Visit the colleges you are interested in!! The right school will just "feel right" the moment you walk onto the campus. The attitudes and tones of the people around you and those who help you out, give you information and give you the tour will play a Huge role in your decision for which school you will go to.

Make sure you choose a place that is right for you- not some place you think will please people. College isn't just about academics - it's about finding yourself and discovering the type of person you're going to be. You learn about yourself while you're in school, learn how you will act under pressure, learn what you believe in and what you don't. It's easier to do that somewhere that you feel welcome and feel like you can be yourself without fear. Academics are important, but becoming a responsible and self-assured member of society is more so. When you enter school for orientation, turn off your phone and unplug your computer. Allow yourself to meet people. Risk making a fool out of yourself to connect with other people. Making connections and learning where other people come from is the only way to understand other points of view, and the only way to be completely succesful in your personal journey of realization.

Make sure that you visit the campus first! It is very important to have a feel for a place before you decide to attend it. Don't rely simply on advertising -- ads can make anything look good. Consider the possibility of going to community college first -- I did. It saved me two years' worth of tuition and living expenses, and yet I will still be graduating with a four year diploma, at the top of my class. But even if you find, once you have an enrolled in a school, that it is not perfect for you, don't dismiss it outright -- get involved. Focus on your studies, but don't keep your head buried in a book all of the time. No place will feel absolutely perfect, no matter what the ads tell you -- especially if you don't get involved with campus life. Volunteering helped me to feel more in place, and I am glad that I chose a school that is so service-oriented. I feel that because of this, I have become less self-centered and more outgoing, characteristics that I will carry into the world with me after I graduate.

The best advice that was given to me when I left for college two years ago by my father. He said that college is what you make it. In addition, he said that if you don't like something, change it. I have attempted to live by this at Hollins University and discovered an amazing world of opportunity at my fingertips. So my advice to new students and their parents would be an extention of my father's wisdom. I would tell them that you should approach the college experience with an open mind and a willingness to change and be changed. For example, if you are unhappy with your college's club offerings, create a club that shares your interests! You will meet new friends and promote a new awareness of your interest on campus. Take the next four years of your life, and soak up as much as you can. You will never meet such a fantastic group of people as the friends you make in college. Enjoy every minute of it, and if you aren't - change it! Remember, Ghandi once said that "we must be the change we wish to see in the world".

Donita

Make sure you understand what the school you are looking in to stands for (ie, conservative or liberal etc). Find a place that as soon as you walk on campus you feel like you can call it home! That's when you know you have found where you are supposed to be and you no longer need to look! That is what happened to me the moment I stepped onto Hollins University campus! It was like love at first sight!

t

Plan to get involved! When looking at colleges, choose one that provides opportunities to continue the interests you had in highschool and also gives you a chance to try new things. Every school has clubs, activities, and volunteer work that a student can join. Larger state schools have a group for just about any pastime, while at small opportunities abound to play a sport or be in a theatrical production, even if you have very little experience. Talk to the professors and staff! The most important part of college is to learn, grow, and expand yourself. A faculty of advisors and professors that are willing to speak with the students one-on-one, to encourage their interests, and direct them to resources are invaluable. Find a school that has a supportive faculty. Experience the school first-hand! If possible, try the college out before making a decision. Many schools have opportunities for perspective students to spend the night in a dorm with a current student, go to classes, eat cafeteria food, and participate in extra-curricular events. This is a great way to see what going to school there is like! Remember: find a school that fits YOUR needs!