Oakland, CA
Holy Names University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Holy Names University

Fixed  rate loan

Fixed  rate loan

Danielle

There are always the positives and negatives at any place you go to, but I think Holy Names University can be a great fit to many people like me. Although it can be perceived to be a more dangerous and unsafe school since the location is in Oakland area, but some of the students I met when I went to try out for the soccer team are very kind and lively people. One of the great things I like about this school is that it is a small school to where it's easy to find the places you need to reach for studying and classes are smaller and easier to interact and engage with other students and staff inside class. Although Holy Names is a smaller university compared to the UC schools, I also like that it is also big enough to where it expands my social interaction circle and I would be able to get along with the people around the school to help me with my studies or to become more involved with the extracurricular activities they have on campus. Academically, they are ranked part of the top 10 schools in California for their nursing program, so I know that my education will definitely be great. Overall, based off my two visits, I think Holy Names is a great school for my education and still have a fun college life whether it be for playing sports or keeping myself holy to God!

It is a school in Oakland that is very small so the most you will have in your class is like 30 people and that is only for the GE classes. It has great surrounding to where it is not too loud and is a closed off campus where when you enter there is a gate with a security guard who, if you do not have a student ID or parking pass, will check ID'S before letting people in. The food is okay but i would say try to get a letter or something to avoid paying money for a meal plan because the only thing that is really good is the breakfast, everything else isn't as good. It will also save you money if you do not have a meal plan. For the housing i have my own room as i already had 2 bad roommates though it took them until my last semester of my Sophomore year to get me my own room, it still got done in a timely manner. Usually the single rooms are taken by the upper classes (Seniors and graduate students), but you can always ask to be on the single room wait list, in which, they would let you know over the summer if a room or something has opened up.

ryan

Holy Names University has proven to be a perfect fit for me. I must admit it is not for everyone but does the following exceptionally well. 1.) The small class sizes provide a great experience to those whom seek professor help and overall guidance. I have never found myself in a situation were I haven't been able to contact a professor within 24hrs of a question coming up or me needing their help/ assistance . This has helped me excel in all my courses. 2.) The school campus is very mundane and there are not an overwhelming amount of parties or public events that interfere with acedemics and the overall environment is very professional and great for those focused on their academics. Lastly, despite not being within walking distance of much of anything the schools location in Oakland makes it a 1 hour drive away from Silicon Valley and San Fransisco making access to some of the most well known and successful companies in the world and their headquarters. This ready availability of local opportunity adds to the value of HNU education. Overall this university is the best for a dedicated academic trying to avoid the stress and stain of every day life and college life while still gaining the full 4-year university experience.

Jasmine

HNU is a great community to pursue your education in. However, I wish there were more resources for advice and guidance with tuition and personal counseling. The tuition is actually pretty high for such a small school. My favorite aspect is the wide variety of classes.

Alejandra

This was my fall back school and it's not all that bad it's just not what I wanted from a college experience. Cool people, nice professors but super small and not a lot to do on campus. I love that classes are small so there is more one on one with the professors.

Veronica

Holy Names University is best known for their diverse students. We are actually one of the top schools in the United States, that has the most students coming from different ethnic backgrounds. Since my school is located in Oakland California, we have the advantage of being in one of the biggest "melting pot" cities. Holy Names provides the opportunity to connect with men and women around the globe. Whether it is meeting International students or students from another state, you are always able to have a chance in meeting someone new.

The first thing I'd tell myself is that becoming an adult isn't as easy as it seems. I'd probably roll my eyes at myself because "being an adult is a long way from now". I never followed anyone's advice because I felt that I knew better. I'd be a tough nut to crack but, it wouldn't be an impossible task. The only reason I refused to grow up was because I was afraid. I didn't think I'd be able to handle the "cold world out there" that everyone spoke of. I'd give it to myself straight and say, "it's time to let go of mom and dad's hand, and start walking on your own. There will be times when you think you aren't cut out for this but, tune out the doubt and the fear. It will only hold you back. It's okay to be scared, life is scary but you aren't alone. You have a loving family and friends that are rooting for you. You must believe that have the power to achieve your dreams because you do." I'd listen because nothing is impossible.

The best thing about my school is the amount of diverse students who come from different parts of the United States and even from different parts of the world. Holy Names University exposes you to different kinds of cultures and in doing that, you are able to grow as a person. You become aware of all the different kind of people that are in our world that you normally wouldn't be able to meet anywhere else.

Shiree

I have learned to think in different and more creative ways. This has allowed me to grow tremendously as a student and as a person helping to become a more efficient person who works smarter not harder. I have learned that a situation must never be looked at in a one dimension perspective because the situation at-hand is always multi-causal and in order to come up with a solution to a problem one must look at all the factors contributing to the situation to determine the best way to proceed. Most importantly I have learned to be a confident, independant person who believes in themselves and their abilities. In doing so, I have learned that asking for help is never a show of weakness but one of strength because it takes strength to admit that one does not have all the answers. It has inspired me to share my beliefs and values with others in a more open and honest way without fear. Since I know that even if they disagree with me they will not see me as any less of a person. I guess one could say that I have begun to learn who I am.

A person who is looking to be surrounding by peers of different ethnic and cultural backgrounds. Someone who takes pride in where they attend school and is open to listening to the views and opinions of others. This person should also be looking for a more intimate experience in terms of education - meaning that they would like their professors to know them and to know their professors in an effort to make the most of their education experience. It is a place where growth are encouraged and sometimes maybe even a little forced but meant for the best.

Classmates can fall within a broad spectrum here; they can be lazy, focused, upbeat, liberal or republican.

Amy

My classmates are easy going and friendly for the most part; if you don't know everyone by name, u will by the end of the yea...

My classmates are easy going and friendly for the most part; if you don't know everyone by name, u will by the end of the year.

I learned that I have a passion for talking to people and trying to help them solve their problems. I love doing community service, especially through my school with the Habitat for Humanity Program. It has been valuable to attend college because I know what I want to do in my life. When President Obama spoke about black fathers needing to step up in the lives of their children, and in the homes around America on Father’s Day 2008, I could not have agreed more. I knew that if I felt so passionate about the role of families, this is where I wanted to focus my time and skill. I want to receive my masters in counseling psychology and go on to get licensed as a marriage and family therapist. I know firsthand what its like to be fatherless, and how that type of influence can shape a person, but I had extended family to pick up where he was missing out. I want to provide support to families and couples who need help. I want to listen to and help the people who feel like no one understands what they are going through with their families.

I wish I had known that I could had finished all my general education classes first before deciding on a major. Instead I entered into a major that I didn't really like my freshman yer, and I was doin major required classes instead of general education classes. By sophomore year I was in the major that I loved.

Heather

When I started attending college I was fresh out of high school and found that I was distracted and had a hard time wanting to attend. I withdrew from college for roughly three years. Now that I have a stronger desire to learn, I am back at a community college. The greatest experience college has given me is the appreciation for knowledge. Learning is important to me and makes me feel proud of my accomplishments. I enjoy working with different students and meeting new people in class as well as exercising my mind through relationships, school activities, and studies.

JeRisha

What I got from my college experience is an education and degree which no one can ever take from me. Once you have your degree, you always have it. It doesn't expire and it transfers from state to state. Unlike tangible things in this world, no one can ever steal my education from me. I can carry my education with me where ever I go and also experience things that expand my learning. I feel it was valuable to attend college because I have learned so much about myself and also I am able to contribute my thoughts and learning to society. Had I not gone to college, I feel I would have been doing a disservice to myself. The way the economy is going, jobs are not promised and positions are not nearly as secure as they were years ago. With that being said, I am extremely glad and thankful for being given the opportunity to go to college and better my future.

Holy Names University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.