Holy Names University Top Questions

Veronica

The first thing I'd tell myself is that becoming an adult isn't as easy as it seems. I'd probably roll my eyes at myself because "being an adult is a long way from now". I never followed anyone's advice because I felt that I knew better. I'd be a tough nut to crack but, it wouldn't be an impossible task. The only reason I refused to grow up was because I was afraid. I didn't think I'd be able to handle the "cold world out there" that everyone spoke of. I'd give it to myself straight and say, "it's time to let go of mom and dad's hand, and start walking on your own. There will be times when you think you aren't cut out for this but, tune out the doubt and the fear. It will only hold you back. It's okay to be scared, life is scary but you aren't alone. You have a loving family and friends that are rooting for you. You must believe that have the power to achieve your dreams because you do." I'd listen because nothing is impossible.

Shiree

I have learned to think in different and more creative ways. This has allowed me to grow tremendously as a student and as a person helping to become a more efficient person who works smarter not harder. I have learned that a situation must never be looked at in a one dimension perspective because the situation at-hand is always multi-causal and in order to come up with a solution to a problem one must look at all the factors contributing to the situation to determine the best way to proceed. Most importantly I have learned to be a confident, independant person who believes in themselves and their abilities. In doing so, I have learned that asking for help is never a show of weakness but one of strength because it takes strength to admit that one does not have all the answers. It has inspired me to share my beliefs and values with others in a more open and honest way without fear. Since I know that even if they disagree with me they will not see me as any less of a person. I guess one could say that I have begun to learn who I am.

I learned that I have a passion for talking to people and trying to help them solve their problems. I love doing community service, especially through my school with the Habitat for Humanity Program. It has been valuable to attend college because I know what I want to do in my life. When President Obama spoke about black fathers needing to step up in the lives of their children, and in the homes around America on Father’s Day 2008, I could not have agreed more. I knew that if I felt so passionate about the role of families, this is where I wanted to focus my time and skill. I want to receive my masters in counseling psychology and go on to get licensed as a marriage and family therapist. I know firsthand what its like to be fatherless, and how that type of influence can shape a person, but I had extended family to pick up where he was missing out. I want to provide support to families and couples who need help. I want to listen to and help the people who feel like no one understands what they are going through with their families.

When I started attending college I was fresh out of high school and found that I was distracted and had a hard time wanting to attend. I withdrew from college for roughly three years. Now that I have a stronger desire to learn, I am back at a community college. The greatest experience college has given me is the appreciation for knowledge. Learning is important to me and makes me feel proud of my accomplishments. I enjoy working with different students and meeting new people in class as well as exercising my mind through relationships, school activities, and studies.

JeRisha

What I got from my college experience is an education and degree which no one can ever take from me. Once you have your degree, you always have it. It doesn't expire and it transfers from state to state. Unlike tangible things in this world, no one can ever steal my education from me. I can carry my education with me where ever I go and also experience things that expand my learning. I feel it was valuable to attend college because I have learned so much about myself and also I am able to contribute my thoughts and learning to society. Had I not gone to college, I feel I would have been doing a disservice to myself. The way the economy is going, jobs are not promised and positions are not nearly as secure as they were years ago. With that being said, I am extremely glad and thankful for being given the opportunity to go to college and better my future.

victoria

I have made the most of my college experience by getting involved. I play soccer, but in my spare time I work 16-20 hours weekly and I belong to a few clubs on campus. I also get involved in the community for two years in a row I have collected coats for the homeless to keep the homeless warm. I have made great friends her. I alslo am considering going on to study international law because of a great professor I have currently she encourages me to do more and be better.

Honni-mae

Senior year, for me, was the easiest year ever. I took easy classes just because I didn't think I would ever go to a 4-year university. I thought that I was "naturally smart," so I never tried. My grades were average, Bs and Cs and a few As here and there. If I had worked harder, I think that college would be easier for me. If I had known, I would have studied more and actually paid attention. I thought that senior year was the year to just sit back and have fun. I was wrong. And if I could take it back, I would go back to senior year and get my grades up. I would retake the SATs and get that score even higher. College isn't easy. I learned that it takes a lot of time and commitment. It's sad that I'm just learning this now, during my third year in college.

Alejandra

if i could go back in time i would use my time wisely , i would be more involve in ousideactivities, and i would try to avoid procrastination. The transition for every single person is different so is good to see it as a way to explore the world, in many different aspects. Its a way to demontrate yourself and others your abilities to succed in life.

Jackson

The first thing I would say is be true to yourself. No matter what people tell you or what stands in your way don't chage your mind unless you know it to be the right choice for you. A lot of people will try to throw you off course and tell you you're doing something wrong but only you know what is right for yourself. Along with that make sure you open yourself up to new experiences and new people. Don't be afraid to jump out of your comfort zone and meet new friends. You only get one chance to go to college in your lifetime and make the best out of it. The age you're at now may be the most important time of your life, in terms of shaping your future and building relationships so be sure to choose wisely who you suround yourself with. Finally and maybe most importantly, enjoy the time you have now. Maintain your focus but don't let college consume you to the point where you can't take in your surroundings and enjoy this once in a lifetime experience.