Houghton College Campus Life Reviews

Overall Review for Houghton College

I absolutely love attending Houghton College. The school is quite small (around 1,000 students) and I absolutely love it. Of course, you tend to meet everyone quite fast and grow relationships quite fast. The school is a Christian college with many opportunities to worship, through chapel or Koinonia (an hour long service of worship through music), and Bible studies. The biggest my class size has been was 31 students so interaction with other students and teachers in the class is not very scary and you tend to know the people your with. Being in a school so small you can feel suffocated, especially if you need to be around a lot of people. The college resides in Houghton, NY which is a very small town with not much to do. Don't worry however, because there are students who grew up around Houghton and know the best spots. You could even make a trip to Buffalo or Rochester, both only being an hour away from campus. The academics are phenomenal and the staff truly cares about the success of the individual student.

S.

Before I came to Houghton, I cried about coming. It wasn't my first choice---which was an in-state public university with an art school that could bring a art major to happy tears---but it was my wisest choice. While it is very expensive, the school also tries to help students be able to attend. For example, they're currently providing a $10,000 automatic scholarship to the upcoming class of 2022. The people are honestly what makes the school genuine. The people here are intentionally here. They know they could have gone somewhere else, but they came here. The student body as a whole is serious about their academics, serious about their faith. To think of leaving brings me to tears now.

Alanna

I find Houghton College to be a place where one learns, grows and is challenged by the community. I have made my best friends for life there, found my passion for my future career and learned so much about myself and the world. The professors are great, they are super personable and incredibly wise and helpful and the college is also incredibly safe and relaxed.

Willard

I really liked Houghton College until the dean of the music area told me that we as christians needed to fight back against people who call us bigots and racists. And we should focus on being more conservative. I'm not sure what he was talking about, but he sounded like he had some strong, radical opinions. My son has placed a deposit with Ithaca for the fall. The program seemed much stronger with no conservative radicals.

Adam

My home away from home. As an out-of-state student I really found a school where I was accepted and challenged to learn more and apply my knowledge. The Christian culture has changed my relationship with God and has been something that I have very much enjoyed.

John

Just don't go here. Seriously. If you are not a Christian Culture kid then please, please go to a regular college. Houghton is either a socially underdeveloped shelter, or a cliquey Christian high school, depending on how you want to approach it. Academically this school is fine, but nothing you can't get at another average regional college.

Katie

Houghton is a great school! The rigorous academics, tight-knit community, gorgeous surrounds, and faith-centered goals create a wonderful atmosphere. The professors are highly accessible, and the small class sizes make a great opportunity for students to bond and include everyone. Highly recommend!

Kayleigh

I loved it! Everyone there is so nice and welcoming. Their sports teams are all welcoming and don't do it for themselves, they do it as a team. The classes are smaller so you get to get as much help whenever, and the professors have schedules of when you can meet them on their doors. Everything is all close to each other so it's not a bad walk to each class.

Dupree

Houghton College is a place that I know everyone will feel welcomed. The professors and counselors are always available and willing to help. The coaches take sports very seriously and will do anything to help a student improve. The facilities are beautiful, and the community is friendly and vibrant. I chose Houghton College because I know that I wont regret it.

Erin

it is an amazing school that strives for students to grow in many different ways including spiritually, academically, and maturity. the students are all positive and love supporting one another. the professors are always available and invite students over for dinner even. its an amazing school, but is quite expensive.