Houston, TX
Houston Baptist University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Houston Baptist University

Mark

Visit the campus! I work in the admissions department at my school, and we really encourage people to visit the campus, even stay overnight for an event. It really helps with making the decision. Talk to professors, interact with students while you are there, eat in the cafeteria. Get to know a school, before you apply. It will really help you make a good decision. You are choosing the school that will educate you for life. Also, get involved once you are at school. Make friends, get in an organization or two, make those connections and friendships, it will really help you through school if you have friends to rely on and hang out with. Don't overcommit!!! Freshmen always get involved in more than they can handle, and then feel stressed when finals come, ad their grades are not what they hoped they would be. Just be sure you balance things out. Have fun! You will be here for 4 years, so make the most of it! Live life!

I wish I had known the impact of the freedom you get when you move out, and go to college. Make wise decisions, the things you are doing now really do shape you destiny. Invest time in your friendships, they can last you a lifetime.

The most frustrating thing about school is that there are never enough hours in a day. Trying to balance out studying, relationships, social life, work, gas can get overwhelming. Just keep you eyes on the goal though. There seems to be a severe lack of sleep while you are in college. Really try to get sleep, at least conistently, even if you don't get a lot.

James

This school is best known for it's Christianity, I suppose.

This school is best known for it's Christianity, I suppose.

In choosing which school to go to, it is important to consider values, beliefs, and what you want to learn. A liberal arts university is fine for people who want a broad education, but it is not a good choice for a person who wants technical knowledge of skills. If one wants to be a mechanic, for example, then he should chose a good technical school; however, if one wants to be a biologist then he should attend a liberal arts university. It is also important to consider values. If you are of a particular religious persuasion, then it might be best to attend a school of similar persuasion, which emphasises spirtuality as opposed to secular colleges which don't focus on a person's spirtual well-being. Student-teacher ratio is also an important thing to consider. The smaller the ratio the better. Cost should be of little concern, but since it is, try to attend a school that you won't have to pay off for the next several years. These are some of the things that should be considered when deciding what school to attend.

Any person looking for truth should attend this school. This is a great school to do some soul-searching in.

Amy

We are best known for our small class sizes and how accesible the professors are.

I feel that the most important part of finding the right college and making the most of your college experience is finding out who you are, and being true to yourself. When looking for the right school, I feel that it is very important to not just pick a school based on how popular it is among your friends and people you know. I believe it is wise to remember to visit the schools that may not be as popular, but may be a right fit for you, as well as the more popular ones as well. It's important to realize what environment you need to be in to make the most of your college experience. For me, I needed to be in an environment where I was academically stimulated, and had the opportunity to use my talents outside of the classroom as well. I believe the most important thing is to find out where you belong and where you can grow to be the person that you want to be.

I wish I had known that you would have to stay on top of your work and that since this school is small, everybody knows everybody else, which can be good and bad.

Laci

My classmates are very diverse, most of them pretty smart. However, more of an emphasis is being put on athletics at this school, and I think the athletes are either really smart or extremely dumb.

I would tell students to get involved. This is a small school made currently of a lot of commuters so it's easy to fade away in the background. I went to Oklahoma Baptist University for two years before this school and I wasn't involved hardly at all, except on the golf team. At this school, I have become involved in the American Marketing Association, of which I am the VP, I am on the golf team, I teach a class as a peer leader, and I am a member of SIFE. Despite my involvement, I have still had time to make a 4.0. I think being involved actually helps grades. It has made all the difference for me, of this I am sure. It is a good school, but it is important to be on top of things and know what you want to do at least by your junior year and figure out yourself how to go about getting it. It is important to be responsible and self reliant, but I think that is true anywhere.

The neighborhood in which it is located is trashy. Houston is a city with no zoning, so the nice neighborhoods are only a couple of blocks away, but I don't always feel safe at my school. There are security guards and security poles, but they can't protect you 100%.

Jamie

In order to find the right college, the students need to examine themselves and know their beliefs and values, and research what colleges meet that criteria. Many people worry about the cost, but all I say have to say about that is that my parents do not have a lot of money, but I have managed to go to college with financial aids and a few loans. Money should not be excuse for not going to the college you want, becuase there is money out there; you just have to find it. In regards to making the most out of the college experience, I would say get as involved as you would like with the activities on campus and do not be afraid to meet new people and make new friends.

The worst thing about our school is the fact that it got rid of the quarter system because now the classes are a lot harder, you have a lower chance of being able to graduate early or with more than two degrees, and the class sized are starting to get too big.

I brag that the professors are very friendly and helpful. Usually, during the first day of class, any professor, regardless of what they teach, will give thier office hours and a number other than their office number where a student can reach them if they were ever to be needed. The professors help you believe in yourself and they encourage you to succeed.

Cammie

HBU is unique becuase it has a very ethnically diverse campus. The students here are brought together with a religious undertone that matches the University's baptist curriculum and activities. Here at HBU discussions over the bible and other religions are not only allowed, but encouraged.

Life is what you make it, and so is college. Whether it's a diet of Ramon noodle soup for a week, or going to your first college party where there will be alcohol served, it all comes down to the choices you make and why you make them. Choose a college for yourself, not becuase your friends or parents want you to go there. Go there and visit the school before you enroll, becuase there's nothing worse then going to the school of your dreams, only to find out it's your biggest nigtmare. Don't be afraid to transfer schools either; just becuase you've committed to a school, doesn't mean you have to stay there. College can be a time of real self improvment and learning, don't short yourself by going somewhere that doesn't make you happy.

I wish I had known how much size effects the atmoshphere of a university. Simply put, size really does matter when attending a college.

Matt

I would advise parents to let their children make their own decision on where to go to college. Personally, my girlfriend's parents tried to force her to go to University of Texas when they knew she wanted to go to Houston Baptist University. It is heartbreaking how hard it is to watch her struggle almost daily to pay her own way. I would plead with parents to respect their children's decision. It is four years of their life that they can't take back. Please respect that.

Any type of person, really. It is more suited for Christians or religious people, rather than atheists.

I brag about how challenging it is. It is much more challenging than the course load at the University of Houston, as I hear my friends talk of the easy classes with no homework.

Christina

Houston Baptist University is best known for its high academic standards, faith/Baptist values, and highly centered on maturing students and preparing them in multiple fields for when they graduate and enter the working world. This is a double-major requirement school that trains a student so they will leave with a broad knowledge and many skills with which to offer future employers in real-world working careers.

Go to a college where you will be able to pursue what you love best; not for the popularity of the school or its name. Ask around and get other students' advice/feedback. Make sure you tour the college to get a "feel" for the campus and staff/faculty that work there. Pick a college that not only offers the major{s} you desire to pursue, but offers it with the quality training you need to learn the most about it.

The fact that it is a double major so I am getting two degrees instead of one, which gives my future employers more reason than one to employ me. Also my living arangement in the campus apartments is convinient and comfortable. Another thing is the size of the school; not gigantic so there is less walking from class to class compaired to other universities.

Liz

It is very important to do your research when it comes to an important decision such as where to go to college. At the same time, as cheesy as it may sound, you need to follow your heart as well.

Some people feel that our school is very conservative. I which case, sometimes people should evaluate that prior to attending this school. Also, keep in mind that with smaller classes, it is difficult o get away from professors if you do not like them.

Sara

The people at HBU are friendly and very helpful, creating a pleasant environment.

Universities that are too small or conservative will definitely thwart the typical college experience; instead, it will be more like an extension of high school, especially if the student resides at home during their undergraduate years. It is understandable that some parents are protective of their children and prefer that they remain in town or even at home for these college years. However, if the student prefers to go elsewhere for college, I suggest they oblige. Unfortunately, I was forced to attend a college in my hometown and this propelled me to pull away from my parents. Noone likes to be coerced into a decision, especially if it is one that will last for four years or longer. Finding the right college does not necessarily mean Ivy League, prestigious, or even expensive. It is all about the right fit. At this crucial time, parents and students should definitely hold many discussions about potential schools, allowing everyone to have their say. Communication is invaluable to compromise and if a midway can be achieved, both parents and students will be more grateful in the end.

Course offerings and times are inconvenient and not abundant. The student is forced to select class times at odd hours. Graduating seniors may have trouble fitting two required courses into their schedule, resulting in delayed graduation. School is too conservative.

Houston Baptist University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.