Houston, TX
Houston Baptist University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Houston Baptist University

If I could have talked to myself when I was in high school, I would have told myself to better manage my time. When I was in high school I worked, but it wasn't a real job. Now I am employed at Wal-Mart and trying to manage taking classes and it is extremely a challenge, only because I never managed my time wisely. Another thing I would tell myself is to push myself. You never actually know what your abilities are until you have pushed yourself to your maximum capability. I am a kinesiology/pre-physical therapy major. I am so anxious to study kinesiology and that is why I chose it. In order to be eligible to take your DPT a test that qualifies you for physical therapy school you must atleast have a 3.7 gpa. My gpa is currently a 3.5, so this pushes me to stay on top of my game. I will not settle for mediocre. I know that I am better than that, and I know that I can be the very best as long as I push myself and as long as I learn to better manage my precious time.

ShaQuerria

I would tell myself to apply apply apply, for scholarships that is. I did receive many great scholarships and everything is paid for, for the most part, but there was so much more that I could have done, and so many more opportunities I could have looked into. I would make sure I spoke with a financial consultant and made sure that I knew everything there was to know about receiving grants and scholarships to make that transititon to college to much simpler.

I honestly don't know that there is a worse thing. I could say that the food selection get a little tedious, but then again who can't say that about their school.

Anyone who has a love for learning should attend Houston Baptist University. Sometimes there is a misconception about who should and shouldn't attend the school because of the name, but the students, staff, and administration, lovingly and whole-heartedly accept anyone who would like to attend the school.

Lina

Houston Baptist University is located in the most ethnically diverse region of Houston. Although its courses have a Christian foundation, students from a variety of cultures and religions attend the school. There are various organizations that embrace the numerous cultures present on campus, and students from any part of the world are able to feel at home. I really wanted to attend a school that would help me find my niche, and Houston Baptist's liberal arts core provided me with the opportunity to learn about a wide-spread range of subjects.

I would tell myself to study hard and earn as much college credit as possible. College is expensive and a lot of the fundamental courses that are required at every Univeristy can be taken during high school. I would encourage myself to develop good study habits; reading and writing is inevitable in college and most high school gradutes do not know how to do either of those effectively. I would also tell myself to focus my attention on scholarships once I have been accepted to the University I want to attend. Instead of spending so much attention on my class ranking and gpa, I should make applying for scholarships a priority.

Any person who is hard working and wants to attend a private university that is culturally diverse should attend Houston Baptist University. HBU is a fast growing school with a strong and advantageous outlook on liberal studies. Students are able to learn from a variety of subjects within their first two years and are required to take courses that strengthen their abilities to think critically. Students who want to get a taste for other subjects, besides those required for their future occupation, will really benefit from the courses taught at HBU.

Mark

Given the opportunity to speak to my college age self, I would give myself the confidence needed to be emotionally successful at a much earlier age. I would tell myself that everyone is challenged with something in their life, but choose to express their struggle differently. Do not aspire to be like someone you perceive to be successful. Aspire to find your own success and follow your dreams and your passions. Take time in making your decisions, but not so much time that you miss an opportunity. Do something that makes you fulfilled and do not worry about money and personal success. When you are in a career you love those things will come. And if by some change it does not, you at least love what you are doing, and that is fulfilling in itself. Take the time to love your family, friends and significant other. You will realize that these are the people that matter most in life and should receive your undivided attention. Too many life choices that override these relationships become detrimental to your being. Finally, find ways to be happy, to be loved and to love.

Oreoluwapo

Give everything you have to studying and doing well in class, and it will transfer to everything else you do. Serve God with all your heart, because he is the master of everything. With God all things are possible. Don't get caught up in the abyss of the high school life. Focus on your future and not on the fun of today. Ask questions, and never be satisfied with being average. Shoot for the top and never give up.

I think that the oppurtunity to grow in Christ is the best thing about Houston Baptist. They provide you with a lot of ways to get involved in such things.

If you are against growing in Christ, you shouldn't attend this school.

Brandi

My classmates are usually very dedicated to their studies and have a strong religious background that keeps them from taking part in certain "college activites".

If I could go back in time, I would tell my high school self not to put off my college search until my senior year. I worked at a local restaurant but I had no idea how much my education would cost me, so saving my money was not my biggest concern. Now, my estimated cost of living to attend my university is approximately $44,000. I wish I would have started saving money much sooner so that I would not have to take out loans to pay for school. I would also tell myself to work harder to find scholarships. There are so many out there but I did not want to put in more effort to write essays and fill out applications. Money isn't everything, but not having to worry about my future debt, and how I am going to pay for my apartment would be a really good feeling. A lot of this could have been avoided had I started saving long ago and not spending my money as soon as I made it.

A person that enjoys drinking, sororities and fraternities, or someone that wants a really school spirited student base should not attend HBU.

Carolyn

Never settle for anything less than excellence. Study hard and pay attention in class. When you are struggling, ask for help because that is the only way you will learn. When you feel like giving up, search for the people around you to be your support system. Feeling like giving up is a natural feeling; it does not mean that you are quitter. You are not a quitter until you chose to quit. Believe in yourself in high school because if you don’t you it will be harder to do so in college. Utilize your time and your resources. College will be the best time of your life; however it can quickly turn to the worst time if you do not put forth the effort to excel in all that you do. Stay positive and work hard, and when and if you feel like giving up, look towards the sky and ask for the strength you need to keep moving forward.

If I would be able to go back to talk to my high school self I would tell them about all the preparation needed to do well. In order to do well you need to stay organized and stay focused on making your dreams come true. There is time for fun but responsible fun that doesn’t take you away from your classes. The number one thing a college student needs to do to succeed is go to class. If you miss too many classes this could endanger your grades and your dreams from coming true. College is a very important part of anyone’s life and to get to the next level of your life you need to properly complete all the previous levels to succeed. Life is all about having fun and working hard but the biggest issue for many people is balancing the two. College will be an eye opening experience that everyone should experience. Just remember in order to have fun you must work hard.

Ashlee

I would tell myself to have as much fun and experience as many things as possible. I would encourage myself not to limit myself to one activity (volleyball) but to try to work with the scholarship if I still accepted it so as to experience a wider range of social events. I would tell myself to learn how to study - and fast! College does not wait for you to learn how to be a student and the higher level courses are not easy to fly through the way high school and basic level courses are. I would convince myself that I have a lot of room to grow and to prepare for many changes. I would tell myself to listen to my parents a little more because they do still know what is best for me, but to make sure they understand that I am becoming independent. I would ultimately try to ready myself for the changes I would soon be facing, while not limiting myself to the person I became in high school.

A highly academic-focused person that may or may not hold social events high on their priority list. These events are available, but they are not often and they are hard to attend due to the rigor of the coursework here. The person should also be tolerant of other religions if her or she is not Baptist, because the school requires students to attend meetings, services, and/or other religious events to earn points needed for graduation.

I tell them that we are a Division I school with the NCAA and that I play a sport for my school.

Christopher

A religious, and compelling school that provides a great education.

A religious, and compelling school that provides a great education.

College has been a completely new experience. The teaching is completely different than high school. It prepares you to be able to withstand the 8 hours of work that you will do in the future. It's helps you build a good social network for the future.

One that feels, he or she cannot participate in worship/ earning clw points.

Houston Baptist University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.