Houston, TX
Houston Baptist University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Houston Baptist University

Celia

Houston Baptist University is unique offering more than an education, but an experience to college students.

My classmates are intelligent, diverse, and accepting and share the same values of education as I do.

I have not only learned during my college experience, but I have experienced personal, professional, and spiritual growth. I have learned things that no one can teach you but can only facilitate an environment to help you learn things like patience and compassion. I have been given autonomy to participate in extracurricular activites, start a new club, and to invest my extra time to others through community service. My college experience has a monetary value but there is no monetary value to the long-time friendships, struggles, and successes I have experienced. Through this experience I am becoming an asset to our community and our county. I am forever indebt for the opportunity I have been granted and will continue to strive for excellence in everything I do.

Cindy

Became a dislocated worker in Febuary of 2009, with no degree from high school or GED. I worked on my GED and passed, being on unemployment they suggested I go to college and earn a degree and they would help me with this choice, so with both of my children graduated from college, I thought maybe it was my time and enrolled at Hill College in Hillsboro Texas, as a Medical Offfice Assistant, a two year program. This opened a whole new world to me, with classes and homework, it was difficult at first and being the oldest in class, took a little getting use to. I did met students that were my own age, but it's a small college and most were right out of high school. I learned alot my first semester, with keyboarding, English, Word, and Excel. Still have a lot to learn, since I have'nt been in school for 20+ yeasr and would really like to finish what I started this time around, with my head held high, and make my children proud. College and a new career would be a great accomplishment for me.

Heather

I'm going into my 3rd year of college and honestly without college experience or even trade school,I'm finding out that it will only be harder to succeed. You can do anything you put mind but without proper training and education, life will most definitely be more complex for you. My parents didn't attend college but still managed to get decent jobs and I would never look down on either of them. I know what its like to push and strive for the greater good for others and myself. College is hard work and because students don't take it too seriously the first couple of semesters they fail out. Anything you do in college can be considered as a learning process. I know I've learned so many life lessons from my study habits to my social life. College can be one of the best experience of a life time and it should be affordable for all. houston Baptist has taught me that education at a private instutition will run the risk of putting you in debt but making it to graduation and kick starting your official adult life is well worth the wait.

I wish I would have kmown about financial aid alot earlier than the last minute.

HBU is over priced and not easy to deal with in the financial aid department. They don't let you know anything til the last minute. i know life is what you make of it but HBU makes life even harder.

Kelsey

The most important thing I have gotten out of my college experience is faith. In my first month of college I have changed from an ignorant girl to a religious young woman. The turn to religion has changed my life in so many ways. Most importantly it has given me better morals and a sense of direction and hope in my life. My faith based practices have extended to all areas of my life and given me much better study habits. I have begun the year with high A's in all my courses and I believe that is based on my new, structured lifestyle. Most students will not have such a life changing event happen in college but the faith based university I attend has allowed me to have one. This is the most valuable thing I believe I will take from college because the lessons it has taught will flow into my life after I graduate.

The one thing i wish I had known about HBU before attending is that they have a flat rate tuition system. This means that a student taking between 12 nad 18 hours will pay the same tuition whether they are taking 13 or 15 or even 18 hours. I love this about HBU it allows a student to take alot of hours without worrying about the cost.

The worst thing about HBU is that most of the small percentage of students who live on campus leave on the weekend. I feel this really prevents the school from hosting weekend activities to further unite the student body and it leaves most school activities for weekdays after class which is a bit overwhelming at times.

Tiffany

Coming from a small state, garduating in a class of 9 I needed to be in an enivornment that I would not have culture shock. Going to Houston Baptist is what was best for me. The small class sizes allowed me to get more of an individualized classroom and learning experience but also allowed me to shine as a leader. All of the faculty, staff and students were extremely friendly which allowed me to get more comfortable and start to open up more. The University enivorment helped to deleop me as a leader but also grow in spiritually ways and at the same time give me the best education. Had I not attended college, I would have ended up just working in fast food or retail my entire lief and I am roughly a couple of credit hours away from getting my bachelors degree. Once I finish I would like to become a teacher and educate the future leaders of the world.

Someone that is open to learning about religion, they require that every student takes Chrisitainity course as well as complete 80 credits in Spiritual Life points in order to graduate. If you are looking for a deverse campus that has small class sizes then this is a great school to attend. Professors are willing to stay after class and answer any questions and will know you by name and not by a number, or have to ask. Small campus but great enivornment and plenty of extra-curricular activites to get involved with.

Someone should not attend this school if you are close minded. Also if you are wanting the large University life-style then do not come to this unviersity. If you want to join Greek Life, you can but will not be able to live in a house.

Michelle

If you want a meaningful college experience where hard work and effort pays off, learning continues beyond the classroom, and all your professors know your name, then HBU is the school for you.

Unlike the large, crowded, impersonal lecture halls of other colleges as seen on TV, HBU boasts a student: teacher ration of 30:1. Every I have met so far has been friendly and helpful. Since Houston is such a diverse city, you are bound to find someone you can relate to in terms of race, religion, and personal interests.

Don't be afraid of failure. Take advantage of these opportunities so you can decide what you like to do and meet people who also like to do that. If you don't try anything, that is the worst failure of all. The easiest way to meet people ata new school is to join student organizations and get involved in on-campus activities. And it is good to come to class early to get a good seat and have time to talk and get to know people. If you leave as soon as class is over, how will anyone get to know you. It is hard transitioning to a new school and becoming the "little freshman" all over again, especially after your reign as High School Senior, but you have to look at this as yet another opportunity to learn and grow. If you keep yourself open, friends will come to you.

Christiana

It is a Baptist university and there is convocation every week. There are 80 CLW points that must be completed in order to graduate. I really like how we pray before starting class in some of our classes. It is also smaller student to teacher ratio.

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior, I would tell myself to change my study habits to get used to what it is like in college. As a freshman in college, I have learned that there is a lot of reading and studying involved. There is no busy work , like in high school. The information that I will need to know on tests all come from reading the text book. I would also tell myself to try and not get stressed out too much. In college, all of the responsibility is on one's own plate and I cannot slack off. To balance with studying, I would tell myself to get involved in organizations to relieve stress. It is fun and a great way to get to know more people.

The kind of person that should not attend this campus is someone who is looking to have, "fun," during college and who does not want to concentrate. This university is very high on academics and a person needs to be focused while attending.

Arazo

I would have gone straight to a university. Transferring tends to be a bit difficult and the rules change very often, so I would have kept up with that. Also, I would have applied for more scholarships to fulfill my aspirations.

I wish I got my prerequisite courses completed ahead of time so that I could get into the nursing program sooner.

Honestly, Other than the price, I can't find any flaws based on my school.

Danielle

I would say, "Self, work harder. Academics are the one thing that you are gifted in. Your friends can get by on athletics and some have the luxury of having a wealthy family. You do not. You need to work hard because your future literally depends on it. Ask Dad and Mom questions regading your education. Save your money because your parents cannot assist you with paying for your education. So save your money, don't spend your graduation money, and ask college people college questions. This may sound silly, but plan out your future. Think about what you want to take and then consider what you should take. Wants and needs are two totally different things, so think hard. This may be a lot to take in, but its all worth it. Self, I love you."

If you absolutely hate God or the prospect of there being a God then this school is not for you. This is a Christian-based University and many of our core values are biblically related. There are non-believers and persons of different faiths that attend this school, but they are willing to learn about the Christian faith. It is a requirement to take 9 hours of Christianity, so I a prospective student firmly abhors the Christian faith then do not attend this school.

The most frustrating thing about my school is our lack of school credit system. I have friends and relatives who have a credit card issued out by their schools and it makes me feel like my school lacks something that other major schools do not.

Marie

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior, I would tell myself to practice good study habits and time management. Also, I would recommend searching for colleges as early as possible that way you can have a wide verity of choices of colleges wanting you. Also, apply for as many scholarships as you can, because paying for college is becoming harder to do without. After gaining financial assistance you must manage your money. Once in college stay focus, and use your first year to see how you handle the classes and work load, because you do not want to put unnecessary weight on yourself. However, you should enjoy college because it is a wonderful experience, go to the campus games and interact with fellow classmates. This will help you to form and join study groups which will help you to study harder and more effectively. The only way to pass is to study hard, listen and participate in class. Lastly, you should make it your effort to talk and to get to know your professors because the more they speak with you the more you can learn and achieve.

I did not have any unknown thoughts because I attended the two sets of information days Soar and Welcome days which answered all my questions and guided me through all the steps that I needed to take to have a successful first year of college.

The warm welcoming atmosphere, The small classes where you can interact with other students and the professors, and the campus activites.

Houston Baptist University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.