Houston, TX
Houston Baptist University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Houston Baptist University

Blanca

Immediately, when I stepped on the HBU campus, I felt a sense of closeness. It felt like I would be able to call HBU my alma mater ten years from now. I love the atmosphere of the campus and the relationship we, the students, have with each other and with the faculty. It makes me feel comfortable and motivated to do my best and fulfill my dreams.

Going to college will be the biggest change of your life. You are going to have to step it up and be more responsible with every action you choose. Classes are so different and you have to make sure to prioritize and organize your day to stop procrastinating until the last minute. You are getting scholarships therefore you need to stay on top of your grades because you will have many distractions and you are on your own. Mom and Dad are not going to be there holding your hand through everything you experience, and believe me, you would not want them to. However, this does not mean you are free to do whatever you feel like. This newfound independence is not as easy as it looks so be careful, be safe, and be smart.

It gets frustrating not having many places to go on campus. We do have the second floor on top of the cafeteria where students play pool, work out, or just hang out and surf the web, but other than that our options are limited. HBU has a very small campus and whenever I am just stuck there waiting to attend meetings of the organizations I am in, hanging out at my friend's dorm is sometimes a bore, especially since she does not have a television.

Houston Baptist University is best known for being a Christian liberal-arts school. I love that about my school. When people think of Christian universities, they think of uptight, conservative universities (*cough*Brigham Young*cough*) and when they think about liberal arts schools they think of a bunch of hippies playing guitar and protesting. Houston Baptist University is the best of both worlds. We are widely diverse. We have have morals that keep us accountable yet we follow our passionate dreams of art, medicine, international missions, sociology, etc.

I would have kept my head in the game more. I was too busy having senioritis I didn't care about finding the perfect school for me. I love Houston Baptist University but sometimes I wonder if it was the right decision for me. I feel that God has placed me at the school that he wanted me at to do the work he wanted me to. I've been to Nicaragua twice to serve children in villages without clean water. I've visited Mexico to further my major. I've fallen in love. Gotten my heart broken. Lost a family member. Made friends. I couldn't imagine living some where else or learning somewhere else because if I did, I wouldn't be who I am today. In conclusion, I don't know if I would tell my high school senior self anything, if I had the chance. I've been learning just fine.

Over the past three years that I have been at Houston Baptist University, alot of things have changed. I wish I knew what changes were coming before I picked a school. Since I've been here, we've changed from the quarter to the semester system. We have lost scholarship money. We lost our free printing pages in the computer lab. I feel that our school is in the finacial situation were that is the number one priority instead of the students.

Alisa

I would tell myself to really stay true to myself and not let other's expectations be my motivation for choosing a school or in determining a major. The more you let other's influence your decisions the harder things become for transitioning to college life. Also, I would tell myself that I shouldn't allow other's expectations of me be my motivation for doing well, but that I should be motivated by my own will of wanting to do well. Don't be afraid to be who you are and stand up for what you believe in. A huge part of college is embracing who you are as an individual, learning how to channell your gifts and talents, and then learning how your own person will affect and lead those in your field and those around you when you graduate. College is some-what of a training ground for adult life so don't be afraid to make mistakes, they will only help you better understand the right way to do things.

Probably the fact that we just got a new president and the school has been going through some complicating changes. The president is great and the new changes are good for the school but incorporating the new system into the old has been somewhat rough. Although, this doesn't affect incoming students at all, only the ones who are almost finished like me. The only other thing is how they don't offer lots of classes every semester. to graduate on time you must plan in advance with your advisor.

Really all types are welcome here. The student body in particular is pretty laid back and we have people from all walks of life, whether you are a typical teen fresh out of highschool, young married person, middleaged person returning to school or even older adults who just enoy learning, they are all welcome here.

She's laughing, joy clearly etched on her face. She is oblivious to the identical girl staring at her from across the cafeteria. That girl is me--or her. I am Sarah of the future. Lame, I know. I have traveled a year into the past to give myself a verbal rebuke. Not to warn her of the end of the world or that she is going to fall down the stairs in front of a huge crowd two days later. Just a few words of advice that can, in their own way, save her. I see myself pale as she finds me. She stands, unaware of the apple that rolled onto the floor. I beckon and she follows me into an empty hallway. I can see the fear and confusion marring her face. I can imagine the thoughts racing through her mind because she is me. Words are popping out of her mouth at lightspeed. "Who are you?" "This can't be real." I shrug, "It is what it is. And what I have to say is muy importante." "End of the world important?" "No. College important." "Huh?" "Funding for college is a pain. One word sister: scholarships."

The Christian-faith it was built on. I am surrounded by others who believe as I do and though at first I thought it would smother me, it has actually helped me become closer to God. It is a peaceful environment filled with teachers who are there to help and pray for you. It's amazing.

How much I would need scholarships and financial aid.

My classmates are very friendly and willing to help. They are supportive and caring. They dont mind helping you when you need help.

Houston Baptist University is known for my things. But the best thing it is known for is its strong spirtual foundation. This school has strong morals and values and can back them up with the bilble. Its not a bible thumping school but you will learn and get a better understanding of the bible and how to use it to guide you in your daily life.

If I could travel back in time I would tell myself to stay focus and not to become so stressed. Stay organized and involved. Because its such a fast pace place and college has its ups and downs. In high school the teachers remind you when things are due and you kind of dont have a choice but to go to class , but in college everything is up to you. You now make your own decisions. No longer do you have some one to look over you and make sure your doing everything right , its all up to you . So the main keys to succeed in college is to have a plan and follow through with it, have a schedule for everyday, and keep your eyes on the prize.

Christine

Always study twice as hard. Always talk to professors and get advised. Be involved on campus. Choose the right major the first time. Take advantage of free time. Stay on the Dean's list for further awards. Search for scholarships in advance, even make it a part time job to help pay college. Don't date because it is very destracting from studies. Take advantage of my weekends for some study time and time for myself. Don't go out too much. Always ask someone when I have a question. Get a car and a job so that I wont have to pay housing/meal plan, it is expensive.

The encouragement of developing a student-teacher relationships with the professors. Convinient

Ike damages. No music practicing facilities

Kiara

Houston Baptist University is most known for our work in the community and our religious influences. We have different outreach programs and tutoring for children in local schools. There are also mission trips throughout the year that happen all over the world that HBU attends. There are also service projects to strenghthen the students and to help leadership and work relationships.

I would tell myself that it's important to over acheive in high school. SAT and ACT are important tests that determine what classes they put you in for college. If you do poorly on theese tests you will end up having to take extra courses that you don't need to and have to pay for. Learn it the first time and do well so you wont have to go back and pay to do it all over again. Also to take as many duel credit classes as possible because they are the to help you better yourself and will prepare you for college classes so that your transition will be smoother. I would then conclude by saying practice your study habits now.

The worst thinng about Houston Bpatist is the tution. It's a private school and that makes it even more difficult to be able to afford to attend this institution. Even with fasfa and loans I end up having to pay five hundred dollars a month out of pocket. If tuition went down I wouldn't have to work three jobs and i could give more attention to my studies.

Lilly

Lilly, Before you go to college, I want you to know something. It may sound clich?, but those four years are going to be over before you know it. Be wise with your time and make the most of it. Get involved and step outside of your comfort zone. Get to know your professors. I know you love to procrastinate, but save yourself some stress and try not to do it often. Your grades will benefit as well. I encourage you to maintain a healthy sleep schedule. Yes, I know you?re a night owl, but 8am classes are harsh. And when the alarm goes off in the morning, do not turn it off and go back to sleep. It will most likely result in you missing class. I also recommend learning how to cook. A diet of cafeteria food, sandwiches, and cereal leaves one a bit dissatisfied. College is expensive, so be wise with your money. Finally, college will change you. Embrace it and be grateful. You?re going to learn so much beyond your textbooks. You have no idea of what?s to come, but be patient and you will find Him. God has good plans for you.

I wish I had known how expensive this education would turn out to be, and how tuition increases over time. Also, I wish I had known about the quality and variety of the food.

Prospective students should be academically focused and have a desire to learn more about God. In other words, they should want to grow spiritually and intellectually. Students should have a balanced lifestyle as well and a willingness to help others.

Krista

I would tell myself to pay more attention in class and to always take time to do all of the work because it's worth all of the time and effort you put into paying attention and completing assignments, it would make me eligible for many more scholarships and grants. Also I would tell myself to apply for as many scholarships as i can so that I would be able to attend college sooner and get my life started on the right track.

The environment and atmosphere of the school.

The environment and atmosphere of the school.

The advice I would give myself as a high school senior would be to never underestimate myself. I would strongly suggest not stressing over how many classes I have to take while upholding a full time job. The education obtained while in school is extremely important along with maintaining a high G.P.A. because other Universities consider G.P.A.?s as a valuable resource on your personal character on how serious school is for you. I would also explain that College is at your own pace. Do not compare your College journey with anyone else. There is no time or age limit that says one must complete a College degree by a certain time. Not all people have the opportunity to receive a College education and its best if you just try your hardest and never give up on yourself. No one ever said college would be easy but it?s not something that you cannot handle. Maintain your head high and keep yourself focused. No distractions what so ever! Enjoy your youth, the College experience, and do not let anyone hold you back.

A person who is self driven and is mature to handle a University. There is a time and a place to understand the meaning of life and by attending this University people will get there.

Houston Baptist University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.