Houston, TX
Houston Baptist University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Houston Baptist University

She's laughing, joy clearly etched on her face. She is oblivious to the identical girl staring at her from across the cafeteria. That girl is me--or her. I am Sarah of the future. Lame, I know. I have traveled a year into the past to give myself a verbal rebuke. Not to warn her of the end of the world or that she is going to fall down the stairs in front of a huge crowd two days later. Just a few words of advice that can, in their own way, save her. I see myself pale as she finds me. She stands, unaware of the apple that rolled onto the floor. I beckon and she follows me into an empty hallway. I can see the fear and confusion marring her face. I can imagine the thoughts racing through her mind because she is me. Words are popping out of her mouth at lightspeed. "Who are you?" "This can't be real." I shrug, "It is what it is. And what I have to say is muy importante." "End of the world important?" "No. College important." "Huh?" "Funding for college is a pain. One word sister: scholarships."

The Christian-faith it was built on. I am surrounded by others who believe as I do and though at first I thought it would smother me, it has actually helped me become closer to God. It is a peaceful environment filled with teachers who are there to help and pray for you. It's amazing.

How much I would need scholarships and financial aid.

My classmates are very friendly and willing to help. They are supportive and caring. They dont mind helping you when you need help.

Houston Baptist University is known for my things. But the best thing it is known for is its strong spirtual foundation. This school has strong morals and values and can back them up with the bilble. Its not a bible thumping school but you will learn and get a better understanding of the bible and how to use it to guide you in your daily life.

If I could travel back in time I would tell myself to stay focus and not to become so stressed. Stay organized and involved. Because its such a fast pace place and college has its ups and downs. In high school the teachers remind you when things are due and you kind of dont have a choice but to go to class , but in college everything is up to you. You now make your own decisions. No longer do you have some one to look over you and make sure your doing everything right , its all up to you . So the main keys to succeed in college is to have a plan and follow through with it, have a schedule for everyday, and keep your eyes on the prize.

Christine

Always study twice as hard. Always talk to professors and get advised. Be involved on campus. Choose the right major the first time. Take advantage of free time. Stay on the Dean's list for further awards. Search for scholarships in advance, even make it a part time job to help pay college. Don't date because it is very destracting from studies. Take advantage of my weekends for some study time and time for myself. Don't go out too much. Always ask someone when I have a question. Get a car and a job so that I wont have to pay housing/meal plan, it is expensive.

The encouragement of developing a student-teacher relationships with the professors. Convinient

Ike damages. No music practicing facilities

Kiara

Houston Baptist University is most known for our work in the community and our religious influences. We have different outreach programs and tutoring for children in local schools. There are also mission trips throughout the year that happen all over the world that HBU attends. There are also service projects to strenghthen the students and to help leadership and work relationships.

I would tell myself that it's important to over acheive in high school. SAT and ACT are important tests that determine what classes they put you in for college. If you do poorly on theese tests you will end up having to take extra courses that you don't need to and have to pay for. Learn it the first time and do well so you wont have to go back and pay to do it all over again. Also to take as many duel credit classes as possible because they are the to help you better yourself and will prepare you for college classes so that your transition will be smoother. I would then conclude by saying practice your study habits now.

The worst thinng about Houston Bpatist is the tution. It's a private school and that makes it even more difficult to be able to afford to attend this institution. Even with fasfa and loans I end up having to pay five hundred dollars a month out of pocket. If tuition went down I wouldn't have to work three jobs and i could give more attention to my studies.

Lilly

Lilly, Before you go to college, I want you to know something. It may sound clich?, but those four years are going to be over before you know it. Be wise with your time and make the most of it. Get involved and step outside of your comfort zone. Get to know your professors. I know you love to procrastinate, but save yourself some stress and try not to do it often. Your grades will benefit as well. I encourage you to maintain a healthy sleep schedule. Yes, I know you?re a night owl, but 8am classes are harsh. And when the alarm goes off in the morning, do not turn it off and go back to sleep. It will most likely result in you missing class. I also recommend learning how to cook. A diet of cafeteria food, sandwiches, and cereal leaves one a bit dissatisfied. College is expensive, so be wise with your money. Finally, college will change you. Embrace it and be grateful. You?re going to learn so much beyond your textbooks. You have no idea of what?s to come, but be patient and you will find Him. God has good plans for you.

I wish I had known how expensive this education would turn out to be, and how tuition increases over time. Also, I wish I had known about the quality and variety of the food.

Prospective students should be academically focused and have a desire to learn more about God. In other words, they should want to grow spiritually and intellectually. Students should have a balanced lifestyle as well and a willingness to help others.

Krista

I would tell myself to pay more attention in class and to always take time to do all of the work because it's worth all of the time and effort you put into paying attention and completing assignments, it would make me eligible for many more scholarships and grants. Also I would tell myself to apply for as many scholarships as i can so that I would be able to attend college sooner and get my life started on the right track.

The environment and atmosphere of the school.

The environment and atmosphere of the school.

The advice I would give myself as a high school senior would be to never underestimate myself. I would strongly suggest not stressing over how many classes I have to take while upholding a full time job. The education obtained while in school is extremely important along with maintaining a high G.P.A. because other Universities consider G.P.A.?s as a valuable resource on your personal character on how serious school is for you. I would also explain that College is at your own pace. Do not compare your College journey with anyone else. There is no time or age limit that says one must complete a College degree by a certain time. Not all people have the opportunity to receive a College education and its best if you just try your hardest and never give up on yourself. No one ever said college would be easy but it?s not something that you cannot handle. Maintain your head high and keep yourself focused. No distractions what so ever! Enjoy your youth, the College experience, and do not let anyone hold you back.

A person who is self driven and is mature to handle a University. There is a time and a place to understand the meaning of life and by attending this University people will get there.

Crystal

High school seniors stress a lot about college choices, my first advice would be narrowing what schools you're interested in. To choose between in state, or out, and whether or not you want to attend a big or small university. I'd list out the pros and cons of what big and small universities offer, as well as including financial aid. If you know what you want to major in, I'd suggest finding a school that offers programs or has a good reputation for that field of study. Schools that offer various clubs that you're interested in are great ways for making the transition easier. Choosing colleges can be difficult, and overwhelming but be confident when you do chose a university.

Violet

Nabila is a very intellectual and punctual student who deserves to be a role model for HBU. .

If I could go back to my senior year I would have taken Biology AP in order to better prepare myself for my science courses. I would have also applied for more scholarships and participated in the medical internships for seniors and upcoming freshman. I would have also taken Physics. I am content with the extracurricular activites I took during my senior year that allowed me to develop into the person I am now.

We pay so much for a private institution and small classes and we have horrible labs and amenities. The school is pushing to become a larger school similar to Baylor but the reason people come to HBU is to recieve an education with smaller classes.

Peace

My classmates are enthusiastic people who love to learn.

My classmates are enthusiastic people who love to learn.

My school is known for the nursing program.

The adivise I would give myself would be to apply to the colleges I wanted to go to a lot sooner. I also would apply for as many scholarships as I could; including the scholarships available at the schools of my choice.

Houston Baptist University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.