Houston, TX
Houston Baptist University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Houston Baptist University

What I really like about HBU is the small class sizes, there has not been more then 32 students in any one of my classes. I also enjoyed the student Transfer / Freshman day, it's a day when all Transfer and Freshman students come together and learn more about the campus life, the school and classes. The students are always eger to help a new student out, over all the school is a great school. Another plus about the school is, HBU is located in the Southwest part of Houston which make it accessable to people outside city limits.

Since being in college I have learned how to make sacrafices. Being a mother and wife there are many activities I wish I could part take in., but because of my first priorities I can't live the college life. College has also made me more responsible, there is no one telling me to go to class and there is no one checking in with me about my grades. I really regret not taking full advantage of high school, if I would have taken high school seriously I would not be struggling as much in college. But, college has also shown me that I can do anything. I am the first in my family to attend a four year college, and I plan to be the first to graduate.

One thing that's disappointing about HBU is the cost. Because it is a private school you wont get as much finacial aid, you will have to pay out of pocket! The school offers scholorships but, they are limited to what they can offer. I would say if you were want to go to HBU I would start looking for scholoarships otherwise you will need to have a wealth family member to help pay for school.

From my college experience so far, I made friends that will be in my life, probably until the day I die. Besides making new life-long friends, I became a better writer. I believed that even though I worked hard in my English classes in high school, I will never be able to write really well. That all changed when I took one of the English professors' course at HBU. The first day of class, I was already ready to drop the course, however; I decided to stay and work hard, and see if I can pass with at least a C. When I received a B, I was overjoyed and I realized I can write really well as long as I keep working at my writing. For my essay assignments, I would get it revised by my professor before the due date so I can make my writing stronger. It has been valuable to attend because without college, I would not have the knowledge I have now. By attending, I am pursuing a higher education, and with that, I will better myself.

I would have to say the best thing about my school is that I have dedicated professors and advisors. I'm pretty lost in this whole college thing, and as cheesy as it sounds, without the help of my advisor and my professors, it would be hard to adjust to the college life. Besides that, the professors are really dedicated in what they do. Even though my english professor was hard, he made me become a better writer. I thought I was going to fail his class at the beginning, but I received a B, so I was pretty happy.

The worst thing about my school is that it's changing to a liberal arts core. I really do not like that idea because I'm afraid I will not graduate on time, but I'm sure I will be able to if I plan my schedule correctly.

I attended Trinity University. An all girl school, and at first people always say, "how can you go to an all girl school?" I simply reply why not? I love my school, there has been a lot of inspirational women who have attended my school, and have exceeded in there goals. I have learned a great deal of things at my school, even though I attended one year. My school has the best teachers, and tons of cultured women. I never thtought I would meet people who have come from all over the world and diffrent ages. When my school was built the nuns believed that women should have the same experience and empowerment every other school was offering that was only excepting men at the time. They have great activities for togetherness, and empowering women can do ANYTHING. My school is very valuable to me, it has showed me that I can achieve more than what society tell me I can not do. All my life Ive been told that I was a minority but as soon as I entered Trinity Univeristy in Washington,DC I felt as if I was the majority, and everybody was striving for something.

Celia

Houston Baptist University is unique offering more than an education, but an experience to college students.

My classmates are intelligent, diverse, and accepting and share the same values of education as I do.

I have not only learned during my college experience, but I have experienced personal, professional, and spiritual growth. I have learned things that no one can teach you but can only facilitate an environment to help you learn things like patience and compassion. I have been given autonomy to participate in extracurricular activites, start a new club, and to invest my extra time to others through community service. My college experience has a monetary value but there is no monetary value to the long-time friendships, struggles, and successes I have experienced. Through this experience I am becoming an asset to our community and our county. I am forever indebt for the opportunity I have been granted and will continue to strive for excellence in everything I do.

Cindy

Became a dislocated worker in Febuary of 2009, with no degree from high school or GED. I worked on my GED and passed, being on unemployment they suggested I go to college and earn a degree and they would help me with this choice, so with both of my children graduated from college, I thought maybe it was my time and enrolled at Hill College in Hillsboro Texas, as a Medical Offfice Assistant, a two year program. This opened a whole new world to me, with classes and homework, it was difficult at first and being the oldest in class, took a little getting use to. I did met students that were my own age, but it's a small college and most were right out of high school. I learned alot my first semester, with keyboarding, English, Word, and Excel. Still have a lot to learn, since I have'nt been in school for 20+ yeasr and would really like to finish what I started this time around, with my head held high, and make my children proud. College and a new career would be a great accomplishment for me.

Heather

I'm going into my 3rd year of college and honestly without college experience or even trade school,I'm finding out that it will only be harder to succeed. You can do anything you put mind but without proper training and education, life will most definitely be more complex for you. My parents didn't attend college but still managed to get decent jobs and I would never look down on either of them. I know what its like to push and strive for the greater good for others and myself. College is hard work and because students don't take it too seriously the first couple of semesters they fail out. Anything you do in college can be considered as a learning process. I know I've learned so many life lessons from my study habits to my social life. College can be one of the best experience of a life time and it should be affordable for all. houston Baptist has taught me that education at a private instutition will run the risk of putting you in debt but making it to graduation and kick starting your official adult life is well worth the wait.

I wish I would have kmown about financial aid alot earlier than the last minute.

HBU is over priced and not easy to deal with in the financial aid department. They don't let you know anything til the last minute. i know life is what you make of it but HBU makes life even harder.

Kelsey

The most important thing I have gotten out of my college experience is faith. In my first month of college I have changed from an ignorant girl to a religious young woman. The turn to religion has changed my life in so many ways. Most importantly it has given me better morals and a sense of direction and hope in my life. My faith based practices have extended to all areas of my life and given me much better study habits. I have begun the year with high A's in all my courses and I believe that is based on my new, structured lifestyle. Most students will not have such a life changing event happen in college but the faith based university I attend has allowed me to have one. This is the most valuable thing I believe I will take from college because the lessons it has taught will flow into my life after I graduate.

The one thing i wish I had known about HBU before attending is that they have a flat rate tuition system. This means that a student taking between 12 nad 18 hours will pay the same tuition whether they are taking 13 or 15 or even 18 hours. I love this about HBU it allows a student to take alot of hours without worrying about the cost.

The worst thing about HBU is that most of the small percentage of students who live on campus leave on the weekend. I feel this really prevents the school from hosting weekend activities to further unite the student body and it leaves most school activities for weekdays after class which is a bit overwhelming at times.

Tiffany

Coming from a small state, garduating in a class of 9 I needed to be in an enivornment that I would not have culture shock. Going to Houston Baptist is what was best for me. The small class sizes allowed me to get more of an individualized classroom and learning experience but also allowed me to shine as a leader. All of the faculty, staff and students were extremely friendly which allowed me to get more comfortable and start to open up more. The University enivorment helped to deleop me as a leader but also grow in spiritually ways and at the same time give me the best education. Had I not attended college, I would have ended up just working in fast food or retail my entire lief and I am roughly a couple of credit hours away from getting my bachelors degree. Once I finish I would like to become a teacher and educate the future leaders of the world.

Someone that is open to learning about religion, they require that every student takes Chrisitainity course as well as complete 80 credits in Spiritual Life points in order to graduate. If you are looking for a deverse campus that has small class sizes then this is a great school to attend. Professors are willing to stay after class and answer any questions and will know you by name and not by a number, or have to ask. Small campus but great enivornment and plenty of extra-curricular activites to get involved with.

Someone should not attend this school if you are close minded. Also if you are wanting the large University life-style then do not come to this unviersity. If you want to join Greek Life, you can but will not be able to live in a house.

Michelle

If you want a meaningful college experience where hard work and effort pays off, learning continues beyond the classroom, and all your professors know your name, then HBU is the school for you.

Unlike the large, crowded, impersonal lecture halls of other colleges as seen on TV, HBU boasts a student: teacher ration of 30:1. Every I have met so far has been friendly and helpful. Since Houston is such a diverse city, you are bound to find someone you can relate to in terms of race, religion, and personal interests.

Don't be afraid of failure. Take advantage of these opportunities so you can decide what you like to do and meet people who also like to do that. If you don't try anything, that is the worst failure of all. The easiest way to meet people ata new school is to join student organizations and get involved in on-campus activities. And it is good to come to class early to get a good seat and have time to talk and get to know people. If you leave as soon as class is over, how will anyone get to know you. It is hard transitioning to a new school and becoming the "little freshman" all over again, especially after your reign as High School Senior, but you have to look at this as yet another opportunity to learn and grow. If you keep yourself open, friends will come to you.

Christiana

It is a Baptist university and there is convocation every week. There are 80 CLW points that must be completed in order to graduate. I really like how we pray before starting class in some of our classes. It is also smaller student to teacher ratio.

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior, I would tell myself to change my study habits to get used to what it is like in college. As a freshman in college, I have learned that there is a lot of reading and studying involved. There is no busy work , like in high school. The information that I will need to know on tests all come from reading the text book. I would also tell myself to try and not get stressed out too much. In college, all of the responsibility is on one's own plate and I cannot slack off. To balance with studying, I would tell myself to get involved in organizations to relieve stress. It is fun and a great way to get to know more people.

The kind of person that should not attend this campus is someone who is looking to have, "fun," during college and who does not want to concentrate. This university is very high on academics and a person needs to be focused while attending.

Houston Baptist University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.