Houston Baptist University

« See more reviews of Houston Baptist University

Probably the fact that we just got a new president and the school has been going through some complicating changes. The president is great and the new changes are good for the school but incorporating the new system into the old has been somewhat rough. Although, this doesn't affect incoming students at all, only the ones who are almost finished like me. The only other thing is how they don't offer lots of classes every semester. to graduate on time you must plan in advance with your advisor.

We have a new president that is taking our school to new heights. The only problem is that we don't yet have the resources to reach the new goals set for us. Thus, the tuition is sky-rocketing, and by the time the changes come about, I will have already graduated. I feel like I am being robbed. Also, since Hurricane Ike in September, a lot of our buildings and resources have been shut down. It has really killed some of the spirit on campus.

One thing that's disappointing about HBU is the cost. Because it is a private school you wont get as much finacial aid, you will have to pay out of pocket! The school offers scholorships but, they are limited to what they can offer. I would say if you were want to go to HBU I would start looking for scholoarships otherwise you will need to have a wealth family member to help pay for school.

The worst thinng about Houston Bpatist is the tution. It's a private school and that makes it even more difficult to be able to afford to attend this institution. Even with fasfa and loans I end up having to pay five hundred dollars a month out of pocket. If tuition went down I wouldn't have to work three jobs and i could give more attention to my studies.

The worst thing about HBU is that most of the small percentage of students who live on campus leave on the weekend. I feel this really prevents the school from hosting weekend activities to further unite the student body and it leaves most school activities for weekdays after class which is a bit overwhelming at times.

The worst thing about my school is the lack of school spirit. Only some of the students attend varsity sport games, however the school is growing very rapidly and in the process of becoming a NCAA division 1 school. So, hopefully school spirit will grow with the school.

Course offerings and times are inconvenient and not abundant. The student is forced to select class times at odd hours. Graduating seniors may have trouble fitting two required courses into their schedule, resulting in delayed graduation. School is too conservative.

The neighborhood in which it is located is trashy. Houston is a city with no zoning, so the nice neighborhoods are only a couple of blocks away, but I don't always feel safe at my school. There are security guards and security poles, but they can't protect you 100%.

The worst thing about our school is the fact that it got rid of the quarter system because now the classes are a lot harder, you have a lower chance of being able to graduate early or with more than two degrees, and the class sized are starting to get too big.

We pay so much for a private institution and small classes and we have horrible labs and amenities. The school is pushing to become a larger school similar to Baylor but the reason people come to HBU is to recieve an education with smaller classes.