Houston, TX
Houston Community College

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Houston Community College

andrew

Make all of your grades count. Well, you should have done that all year around. But grades do factor in a lot on the outcome of the college or university that you want to attend. Apply for as many scholarships as you can and get all the financial aid you can. Dont lose focus on the things that are important that will help benifit you. Whatever anyone tells you dont let it discourage you from advancing your education. Dont rush into some thing that you arent prepared for. Make a schedule and plan ahead for the future. Dont be so reckless and care free all the time, youll forget your priorities.

How much oppurtunity and how easy and different it is from high school. What oppurtinities i had waiting for me. The different and numerous classes they had to offer.

Its really good for everyone to be honest, but if youre just not really into going to school and enthusiastic about going to school then you shouldnt go.

Jordan

It's time for you to wake up. Sure you don't drink or do drugs, for now, but just you wait... college life is a slippery slope full of distractions ready to push you down. Parties, alcohol, and drugs; it's an intoxicating atmosphere, which promises to make you feel better and have fun. The scariest thing about that though, is that it will follow through on that promise. At least momentarily it will, and you'll have the time of your life. Where will you be after the buzz has worn off though? I'll tell you. You will be laying in bed, skipping another week of classes, and hating yourself. That is where you will be unless you wake up now. High school classes are easy, yeah I know, but who cares. Learn to study, learn to say no to distractions, and put some actual time and effort into achieving your true potential. Most importantly, pick up a pen and begin writing poetry like you did when you were young. You have no idea how therapeutic it will be, and how much better you will feel. Wake up, because today is the day you change.

I wish I had known that the campuses were all spread out so much. Of course I come from a very small town, so that could help explain it a little bit.

The most frustrating thing is the way they process people. It doesn't feel personal at all, and to a point even feels like they don't really care about you as a student, and only care about you as the money you pay them. However, that seems to be how most schools are now a days..

One advise I could give to myself is learn more about the major I want to archive in my life and what are the steps I have to take to get until the end.

I wish to had known before I came to Houston Community college was how to do homework online, I wasn't used to do all the work online.

The most fustrating thing about school is when I don't understand something quick but there's always the instructor to help me.

Houston Community College is a great school to take classes at for the price it offers.

Houston Community College is best known for being the school that students go to when they're not sure what they want to do with their life and because of that, they're not willing to spend a ridiculous amount of money on classes while trying to figure out what exactly they want to get into.

Stay focused. Even though you may not know what you want to do for the rest of your life, don't stress and have fun trying to figure it out. It is a bit ridiculous forcing children who not too long ago had to ask to go to the bathroom to make a decision that would more or less impact them for the rest of their life, but hey, that's life. No matter what mistakes you make in life, always remember that it's never too late to make a change. Even though you're taking things slow by going to a community college, at least you're going to school. Don't waste your parents time and money. Stay focused and I promise that one day, you'll know exactly what you were put on this earth to do, and college will help you get there. Never give up, and always look forward to tomorrow.

Alexis

Houston Community College is known for providing university-caliber education; innovative, creative instruction; comprehensive individual support, and for being an engaged, responsive community partner.

If I had gone back in time towards my Senior year in High School knowing what I know now about College I would have told myself I need to work 10 times harder than I actually did. Although I passed and graduated High School its not enough to just pass. If you want to over succeed so you can pass the ones at the top and arent stuck behind then jump ahead and do your research as ask questions pertaining to college. All the oppurtunies I had to push myself I took them for granted and did metiocre work. Good things in life never come easy. Seek the help you need to get to where you beloing. Apply for scholarships and asking counselors for help to get ahead.

I wish I had known about the scholarships and clubs Houston Community College has to offer. My major is Pharmacy and I'm hoping to obtain my Pharmaceutical degree in an average 8years. I'm trying to get involved in science clubs: Biology, Chemistry, Anatomy ect. While on the side applying for scholarships and using the money towards books and tuition because college is so expensive.

Morgan

I will let myself know that going from high school to college is a great big change. It's going to be hard, but I can do it!

My classmates are a variety of everything including age and race.

I brag about the small classes sizes of 20 in each class.

Stefanie

The atmosphere is somewhat friendly, mostly students mind their own business.

The atmosphere is somewhat friendly, mostly students mind their own business.

Dear younger self, If for some miraculous reason this is able to reach you, I wish for you remember what I am about to tell you. In order to get into a proper college or university, you must start doing scholarships! I know it's difficult for you to be motivated, but in order to get a proper education and have fewer worries, this is a huge must! Followed by volunteering and starting to develop a proper study schedule, so that you learn how to manage time better. Speaking of studying, this is something that is unavoidable, college is definitely not like high school. If you are not able to grasp something, you must attend tutorials and practice at home so that you have a better understanding of what you are doing. Unlike high school, no one is going to look after you, you are in charge of yourself. You cannot be a baby and you need to take total responsibility. You might be afraid of what the future holds for you, but no worries! Most people are the same as you. Keep your chin up, remember growing up is a difficult thing to do and it will take time.

Houston Community College is a very welcoming place and the people can be very helpful.

Anna

I have been to four of our campus (Central, Willie Gay, SW-West Loop and Katy) so I can only rely my experience based on these visits. The best thing is the layout of each campus. It is very easy to get around and find your way. I think the campus size(s) is(are) just right. There are bookstores and vending on each campus so you can pick up a snack if you need to but there are no eateries that I know of. Most of my time on campus is spent in the Communications Department, either in classes or in labs. It seems that there is always a lab open. The department works really hard to make sure we students have access as much as possible. When I tell people that I am enrolled at HCC I receive nothing but excitement and encouragement. I really believe HCC has a good local reputation. To call Houston a college town would be funny to me as we are so huge. There is nothing one can't find in this city. Luckily I'm a local gal and know this town like the back of my hand (almost). The professors are great. Very approachable. Very open. The Financial Aid Department, well let's just say it's not anyone's favorite department. I am learning my way around more and more with each passing semester. It's safe to say it helps to utilize fellow students experiences and wisdom. I'm not aware of a lot of school pride. I am aware of a lot of self-pride in many of the students. I think this speaks to the ability of the professors to reach the students on a wide level. The one experience I'll always remember? Definitely my very first class at Willie Gay. It was a mandatory "get acquainted with college" course. I was so nervous. And when I first when in I thought I had nothing in common with any of these kids and then something magic happened. The professor began teaching and he was great. He brought all of together through a common ground....learning. By the time the course was over I knew I would be alright and that I would be able to connect with my fellow students no matter how diverse our backgrounds.

Wow. I'm not aware of a stereotype of students at my school. I can tell you that we have students from all parts of the world attending Houston Community College (HCC). We also have people from all age groups, people from all socio-economic backgrounds. One class I might sit next to someone who is straight out of high school and has limited life experience and the next I might sit by a retired vet who is simply broadening his horizon. Regardless of who I meet and what their major is; everyone I have met at HCC has been incredibly supportive and encouraging.

Brian

This is a quality school. The common misconception is that community college is sub-par to university in the quality of its education, but I believe this to be untrue. The majority of the professors I've had have been great. A few also teach at university. I have had zero problems with customer service, financial aid, or really any other aspect of the school.

There is a wide diversity of students at HCC. There are many younger kids who don't care at all. They never study, they disrupt class, and they have absolutely horribly reading comprehension. However, there are others who will clearly be advancing to a bachelor's program, and probably to a graduate school program after that. The beauty of a school like this, especially for universities, is that it weeds out those who do not belong in a higher learning environment. It is also great for students like me, who want a quality foundation to their higher education on the cheap.

There is no stereotype to describe the student body at HCC. It is a very diverse group of people from every race, background, and age group.

Lucas

We do not have dorms, and the only group I have an experience with is a Chess Club. We had the Secretary of Energy give a speech a few weeks ago.

1. Yes. 2. Programming is favorite, Calculus is least favorite. 3. I dedicate myself to it, but many are known for not doing it at all. 4. Participation decreases significantly after the first day of class. 5. Yes, we even have a Chess Club. 6. Yes. Honors societies drive competition, and we have quite a few of them on campus. 7. I have only taken a few classes, so I will wait before making a define opinion for that question. 8. I study Computer Science, and our labs are top notch. 9. Not really, no. 10. Same as I feel with all other colleges: outraged I have to take Calculus. 11. It depends on which classes you take.

Houston Community College administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.