Houston, TX
Houston Community College

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Houston Community College

Our school is best known for helping students find jobs after they have graduated. It has a good reputation for it's vocational training programs that make you career-ready by graduation.

If I could go back in time to talk to myself as a high school senior, the monologue would go something like this: "1) Do not take more than one writing class per semester. 2) Make sure you choose close friends who will prioritize studying and making good grades. 3) All the parties are the same. If you go to one per term, you should be 'good.' 4) Your instructors are hard because they are preparing you for life, not because they hate you. 5) Help other people understand material you have learned ; it will give you a greater understanding and ability to apply the knowledge for yourself. 6) Having brand new textbooks doesn't make your learning experience better than having used books, so save your money (or buy them from Amazon.com). 7) Keep your textbooks - especially those specific to your major (you WILL need them again). 8) If you don't know, ASK SOMEBODY! Questions can be your best friends. 9) Manage your behavior and be a good steward of your time - college is neither forever nor free. And 10) The number one rule is: Studies first, extra-curricular activities second, jobs third, and social life LAST!"

The worst thing about my school is the small bookstore. We are on a large campus with very many students and the bookstore is not big enough in space, staff, and supplies to accommodate us all.

Alexandria

It's diversity. HCC has a variety classes to accommodate to a variety of majors.

If I could go back in time to when I was a high school senior I would tell myself to stand strong next year. Whatever guy walks up to you and asks for your number don't be afraid to say "NO!" You can still be everybody's friend but remember to keep God first in it all. No matter how angry you get stay strong in God. He's your best friend! And don't worry about your first boyfriend you'll get a man a whole lot better. Just stay confident in the woman God has created you to be. You're going to do great things!

I enjoy its diversity, stength and small size. Kind of like an ant. There are so many different organizations and new ideas continually growing. There's something about HCCS that you can just relate to and belong. The small classes are a bonus as well. And you know the teachers love their job and enjoy taking a step at a time with their students.

Khaila

Some of my classmates are annoying, some are over-opinionated, some are helpful, some are friendly; It's a smorgasbord of people.

If I could go back in time and talk to my high school senior self, I would tell myself to take college seriously. I would also tell myself to strive for greatness and stay focused, because my doing well in college is the cornerstone for my success!!!

Nothing really frustrates me about HCC. In all actuality, HCC is better the the prevous college that I attended. I like the small classes, and the professors seem to care about me succeeding in the future.

They are all willing to learn and majority of the students participate with the instructor.

College is responsibility, almost like having a job. You are responsible for learning the material for your own future. Make sure you choose your instructors carefully to suit your learning style so it will not be as difficult to learn the material.

The school is not over crowded with students and the learning system is fantastic.

Esther-Racquel

My classmates come from all different backgrounds, and are very serious about their education.

Don't worry, it'll all come to you. You're stressing youself out about graduating early, and finishing all of your classes. Just pause for a second. After graduation, it's going to feel awkward at first. You won't have any homework, and a whole lot of free time. Realize though, that it's just the beginning. College is going to be difficult, and there is no room for procrastination. Get your work done ahead of time, and it'll be easier foryou. Also, remember to register for classes early. That'll keep your parents less worried. College life will be very busy, so try watching less television. Study more, because college professors are not as easy going as high school teachers. (They don't give you the answers!) Just remember to take a deep breath when you're nervous, and you'll do fine.

My school has a great support system for my major. The teachers are very welcoming and are willing to go the extra mile for me to succeed.

Natalie

Houston Community College is one of the most culturally diverse educational settings I have ever attended.

Don?t procrastinate! Start everything ahead of time. College level work is not like high school. There are paper, papers, papers galore! And the grading can be tough. If you pulled an all-nighter the day before a paper was due in high school, you could get a decent grade. NOT in college. Plus, by starting early you minimize stress, increase productivity, and have more time for fun. Yes, time management sounds like a bore but do ourselves a favor Natalie and get organized! You don?t know what you are missing until it is absent from your life, but I do. You can?t imagine how many times I have wanted to go back in time and change my decision to hang out with those ?friends? of mine, instead of studying for that government test that bombed my GPA. I should have studied then gone out to celebrate my good grade. Yet, ?shoulda?, ?coulda?, and ?wouldas? don?t exist after bad decisions. Trust me, I?ve been there and know that an easier life awaits us if you master your time now.

Anyone who is not serious about actually obtaining an education should not even set foot on campus. If they are stuck in high school mode where all they think about is parties, pranks, or gliding by their classes just to graduate, they don't belong at Houston Community College. Their presence would be that of a stumbling block to others more than anything else.

Kimberley

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior I would have a lot to tell myself! As a 43 year old college freshman, I now know how hard life is without a college education. In hindsight, I now see that the decisions I made back then affected the course of my life. I did not think it was important to go on to college when I was 18 years old. I thought I knew it all and no one was going to tell me any different. I would love to be able to go back in time and tell myself to study harder and take my choice of courses more seriously; instead of choosing just what I thought would be easy. I would also tell myself to college right after high school instead of getting out on my own and getting a minimum wage job. The transition from high school to college would have much easier back then than it is for me now. Instead I chose a long, hard road and now at 43 years old I am starting all over. and having to learn Algebra all over again.

Attending college is a personal decision. It should not be based on the fact that a family member or friend thinks you should attend college. It should be based on your desire to learn, whether it is to earn a degree, get vocational training or just take a single class. Not everyone is cut out to go to college. People who are not serious about getting a college education should not attend.

The most frustrating thing about my school is the parking lot! While it seems that there should be plenty of parking, students often park over the line making the spot next it virtually unusable.

cristina

My classmates are normal people that want to further their education and make you feel comfortable around them.

It is a very nice campus. Although cy fair college is a community college, it is a wonderful place to be at. There are so many resources to go to for anything that is needed and they are very easy to access. They offer counceling, financial aid, tutoring, huge library with multiple computers available, a work out gym specialized for students, and so many more great things. The staff there are actually very friendly people who actually care about you and are not only there for the paycheck.

If I could go back in time I would definitely do things different. I would of prepared myself financially a little bit more by researching and applying for scholarships because going through school is not easy and you don't really know until your there. I would get my mindset more prepared for whats coming. Some advice I would give myself is also to try to take as many college credit courses in high school as i possibly can since they are at no cost in high school. Those credits would of helped me in college.

Brittney

My classmates are deligient workers. A lot of the students that I attend class with are determined to move on to a four year college. However, there are a few students who do not know what direction they want to take in life and in result are unmotivated. But, by the end of the year, I am sure they will discover a field of interest and try to pursue a career in that field. For the most part though, there aren't any problems in my classes with the students. They listen to the teacher, and create a positive environment.

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior knowing what I know now about college life and making the transition, I would say, remain focused and persistent. Attending college is a fun experience, but there are a lot of distractions. If as a senior you are able to remain focused on your goals, and have a strong sense of self-discipline, then it will make college 50% less stressful. It is easy to get caught up in other people and activities instead of remaining focused on why you are there, how you plan to succeed, and accomplishing the goals you have set for the next four or five years. In addition, persistence is the remaining 50% of college. College is a big change from high school. For one thing, the work load is heavier, and you will face a lot of challenges, whether they are exams, financial, or even family issues. There will be times when you question whether all this hard work is worth the time and energy, you may even want to quit some days, but keep moving. Keep working hard. Keep believing. You will accomplish more than you think.

A person should attend an community college, if they are unsure of the direction they are going in life or if they want to take a few extra courses to broaden their knowledge and experience. In addition, people who do not have the financial means to attend a university should also attend a community college. A school is what you make it. Therefore, if you are a deligent, persistant, and determined you will do fine.

Anlanh

HCCS offers you a reasonable price for tuition, offers you all the student services that you need (financial aid, day care, job opportunities, etc..), have transferrable credit classes for those who want to pursue a 4 year degree. HCCS has quite a few campuses around Houston so it's very convenient for students in different area. HCCS also offers Distance Education or simply just some courses for those who want to have a certificate in most of every field, especially those with high volume of wanted.

College is an open road for highschool graduated students. It provides you the opportunity to advance your knowledge, along with being disciplines and being responsible for yourself. College is where you will find the answer for your future, eventhough right now you have no clue of what would you like to do nor what major would you consider. Getting to college is the first step you need to take to define what you really want to do in the future, it will give you the instructions and information you need to sucess. Don't be nervous and afraid if you're not sure of what kind of classes will you be taking, what major would you be in, you will figure it all out when you give yourself a chance to step in the college life, where you will get the help you need from the government, the advisors, the professors, your classmates and everyone else, including the support of your family. Give yourself an opportunity to learn how to be succeed, to learn many things not just from the books but also from the community that you are in.

Houston Community College System (HCCS) is for everyone to attend, regardless your race, your age, the type of job you're working, your family situation.. There are always open doors welcome students from different levels and circumstances. I have been attending HCCS since Fall 2007 and I have met different people but all have the same desire of getting a higher education level, getting a degree to pursue their dreams.

Houston Community College administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.