Houston Community College

« See more reviews of Houston Community College

College is an open road for highschool graduated students. It provides you the opportunity to advance your knowledge, along with being disciplines and being responsible for yourself. College is where you will find the answer for your future, eventhough right now you have no clue of what would you like to do nor what major would you consider. Getting to college is the first step you need to take to define what you really want to do in the future, it will give you the instructions and information you need to sucess. Don't be nervous and afraid if you're not sure of what kind of classes will you be taking, what major would you be in, you will figure it all out when you give yourself a chance to step in the college life, where you will get the help you need from the government, the advisors, the professors, your classmates and everyone else, including the support of your family. Give yourself an opportunity to learn how to be succeed, to learn many things not just from the books but also from the community that you are in.

Never give up on yourself, when its hard remember that one day it will be so much easier. Take time for your friends they will be the best support for you though the years, but remember that sometimes they don't give the best advice. Homework is essential to understand a subject your learning. Don't be afraid to ask questions they will get you so much further and really what does it matter if it makes you look silly, no one but you is in charge of your life so don't let them run it. The best part of being an adult and in college is you don't have to agree with your professors, must of them enjoy the debate. Take every class as a step toward your future. Don't skip class, everyone is important and valuable. Keep in contact with the professors that will be able to help you down the road, they know people and if you let know your are serious about your future they will do what they can to help you. Start working on your resume sooner than later, every class you take will help make it better. Good Luck.

I would tell myself to start founding scholarships for college in high school. Keep my GPA up to a 3.5 and higher, because the better your GPA is the better change you get at the scholarships that offer more money for school. There are also some scholarships that pay you to go to college. Once I got to college I would tell myself to stay focus and do not wait until the last minute to do homework, study, and projects. Be on time and do not miss days from class. Do not go to a university first because it can be hard and make you get side track on what you really came there for. Make sure the classes you are taking can transfer over to another college or university. Talk to your professors and go get help with classes you might need a little more help in. You can only take a class over two times the third time you have to pay out of pocket for the classe and university look at that. Try no to fail a class because that F goes on your college recorded and some employers look at and whatever you majoring in.

Hi Chrystal, Don't freak out. Actually...freak out because time travel is real and possible!!! Yay! I'm the 28 year old you. I don't have much time so listen carefully. Apply for all of the schools you want to go to. Money may be tight but there are soooo many scholarships out there. You have to try. Also, you know that you have wanted to be a teacher for as long as you can remember. So either get your degree in theatre (your second love) and get a teaching certificate or get your degree in education. I know it's hard to see right now, but you are so smart and have so much going for you. Please don't waste it. Less than 5% of your friends will stay that way. "Old" people say this all the time but seriously, don't worry about what they say or do.The secret to confidence is knowledge. So learn everything you can about everything you can. Working can wait (I promise, it's not going anywhere). Make us proud. PS. Next year...Doctor Who...watch it. Most importantly, I love us. Even if you can't right now.

When i was in my senior year of high school, i was going through very difficult family problems. My mother had ran away with her husband to another country abandoning me here with my father. My mother had chosen a man over her own children, a man who had beaten me and caused me a trip to the hospital. When my mother left, I stopped caring about my future. I went from ranking number 8 in my class to number 48. I would hardley attend my classes, and when I managed to show up, i would not pay attention to a single word of the material being taught. If i could go back in time, I would say to myself that i should not give up. I should never have even given up on my future because as long as i try it is impossible to fail. The anger and depression that arrose from my problems could have been switched to motivation. I currently am enrolled in college, and am back on the right track, but there i know that if i would have never given up i would have ended up at a University instead of at Community College.

If I was to give advice as a high school senior, I would tell myself to take a short break after I had graduated from high school. I am an international student. I came to United States in December, right after I graduated in November. In my family's opinion, it's better for me to go to school instead of getting a low-wage part-time job when the economy in 2008 was horrible, so that I will be ready for a job when the economy turns good in order to support my younger sister for her higher education. As a result, I ended up wasting a lot of time in deciding my major that I have to postpone my transfer plan. Therefore, it is really important to get a better understanding of yourself before you leap. You have to ask yourself: what is your interest, what kind of study environment that you need, and how would you want your life to be. Give yourself some time to "talk" to yourself. At least, have a rough idea in your mind about the field that you want to get involved in as your lifetime occupation.

If i can go back in time and speak to myelf as a senior i would advice her in several advice With these advices i would have had no trouble in getting confortable into this new college life. First I would have told her to be herself and not have to think about what other people thinks of her. When i was in high school as a senior i was always be afraid of others not accepting who i was. I was a very shy person and always wanted to please others before me. I was so shy that i was afraid to ask the prinple to assist me in choosing the right career and school i would like to attend after high school. The second advice i would told her if she had any question to not be afraid to ask people . Often times the questions that i didn't understand i would not ask to get explained by my teacher. In the long run it had hurt me. So if i need any help to just ask. I understand that the teacher at my college wants us to be successful and they want to help us to graduate .

College is not as horrible as some people make it seem. I took a year off when I graduated to "save money", but all I ended up doing was wasting a year I could have been in school, even if it was only one class I would have been that much closer to my degree. Not only that you don't have to decide what you want your major to be, I know you're getting intense pressure from everyone and everywhere asking you about it, but you have the first two years of basics to figure it out so don't stress. One last thing, apply for scholarships don't buy into the belief that you have to be in the top ten percent of your class to qualify for them. There are so many scholarships you can apply for even if you at least a 2.5 gpa so please make sure you apply, they will definitely help you and take away so many of the stresses that everyone else is struggling with. Most of all remember to relax, have fun, just not too much fun you could get into trouble for that, and enjoy the learning process.

Don?t procrastinate! Start everything ahead of time. College level work is not like high school. There are paper, papers, papers galore! And the grading can be tough. If you pulled an all-nighter the day before a paper was due in high school, you could get a decent grade. NOT in college. Plus, by starting early you minimize stress, increase productivity, and have more time for fun. Yes, time management sounds like a bore but do ourselves a favor Natalie and get organized! You don?t know what you are missing until it is absent from your life, but I do. You can?t imagine how many times I have wanted to go back in time and change my decision to hang out with those ?friends? of mine, instead of studying for that government test that bombed my GPA. I should have studied then gone out to celebrate my good grade. Yet, ?shoulda?, ?coulda?, and ?wouldas? don?t exist after bad decisions. Trust me, I?ve been there and know that an easier life awaits us if you master your time now.

It's almost that time where you will start to think, "ok well school's almost over!! LET'S GO SUMMER TIME!!". But before you start planning out the upcoming summer events there's something more important that needs to be done before anything else. College! I know for a fact that it may sound so difficult or maybe you get the butterflies in your stomach, kind of like when you took your exit level exams! But it's ok because right now i'm here to tell you that there isn't anything difficult about college that you can't accomplish if you don't try! It's all basically up to you to choose your path. It may sound funny right now, in the end it's the truth. I'm gonna give it to you straight and simple. It's all weather you wan't to struggle in life and live the rest of it trying to just "pay bills" OR you can choose to follow a desire, a DREAM , a goal and who know's it might just be one of those dreams that makes alot of money! I made my choice and I love it!