Houston Community College

« See more reviews of Houston Community College

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior I would have a lot to tell myself! As a 43 year old college freshman, I now know how hard life is without a college education. In hindsight, I now see that the decisions I made back then affected the course of my life. I did not think it was important to go on to college when I was 18 years old. I thought I knew it all and no one was going to tell me any different. I would love to be able to go back in time and tell myself to study harder and take my choice of courses more seriously; instead of choosing just what I thought would be easy. I would also tell myself to college right after high school instead of getting out on my own and getting a minimum wage job. The transition from high school to college would have much easier back then than it is for me now. Instead I chose a long, hard road and now at 43 years old I am starting all over. and having to learn Algebra all over again.

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior, I would tell myself not to be in a rush to choose my life career. I would take the time to discover what I like to do by getting actively involved in various extracurricular activities in school. The key is to be very flexible, adapt to change and don't give up. If what I choose to do does not challenge my curiosity then it is not worthwhile. After having come a long way, through several not so good choices, at the age of 26, I finally realized that I really love the selfless work that nurses do and I can't wait to be a part of it. I also regret caring so much about unimportant things and especially about what others thought. As an adult in the real world, I know now that what really matters is me and how much time I invest into developing myself. Finally, I would also tell myself never to underestimate my abilities and always keep smart and hardworking friends, it rubs off.

Megan, taking the next step into higher learning is the best thing that you could do for yourself. You should start off at a community college it is cheaper and you will still get a wonderful education so you should speak with your school counselor now to find out when you need to apply and what if any scholarships you can apply for.It will be tough to make the responsible choices of going to class and getting your work done, but once you do you will feel so rewarded. Don't take classes in the morning, your to tired to pay attention. Make sure you speak with a counselor when ever your questioning what to do with your education, they will help point you in the right direction and give you the best advice on what classes to take. Having an education is the most important thing you can do for yourself you will get much further in life with a degree in your pocket. Never give up on yourself, you can do what ever you put your mind to. Good Luck.

I've learned alot going from a high school student to now being a college student. If i could go back in time and tell myself some words of wisdom and advice, I would tell myself a couple of things. First of all, I would tell myself that high school and the grades you get in high school really do matter when you start college. So, don't mess around and take high school seriously. Secondly, I would tell myself that in college when the teachers say study for two to four hours a night, they really do mean it. That you must sit down focus, study and do all your homework or you will fall behind and get lost in class. Finally, I would remind myself that yes college is going to be alot of work, but if your willing to give up some fun for the next four years until you get your masters degree, then you will beable to afford to have fun for the rest of your life. Those are probably the top three things i would tell and remind myself about college.

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior, the first thing I would tell myself is to stop slacking off now and be more prepared for the college life because it definitely isn't a joke. I would also tell myself to sign up for as many scholarships as possible and to start off at a 4-year university instead of a 2-year community college. I missed out on attending a 4-year university because I was indecisive, but I feel like starting off at a university could be more beneficial for me because I would be able to actually get the college life experience and I wouldn't have to worry about putting off some time in order to check out the different universities and worry about what classes are transferrable and what aren't. In high school I had all the time in the world to check out the different schools available, but now that I'm in college and also working part time, I don't really have much time.

High School was all fun and games for me, but I manage to get my work done, be a ?B? student in all my AP classes, and be in the student body in some school clubs. If I could go back to myself back then, I would tell myself to work harder, focus on my studies more and learn time management. There were nights at home that I would just be glued to my computer screen and get nothing done or actually studying, but falling asleep with the textbook. Also there were those countless hours of lack of sleep. Although I took AP classes, I only did that so that I can get the AP credit, but I pass none of those exams. I had the opportunity to, but I let it slip by having fun at school and being lazy. It?s a disappointment to see myself retake all these classes again, wasting money that I could have saved for my education and possibly even get eight hours of sleep some nights. But, I must learn from my mistakes and continue on.

For starters, don't wait to attend college it is not as hard and expensive as everyone makes it seem. You have to know that there is help out there. One of the reasons I waited so long to attend was because I was ignorant of how much help is truly available to assist you for college. And no you don't have to have the perfect GPA either. There are many scholarships, and lots of financial aid available. Don't put off your future, and don't use the excuse of working for a little while to save up money to go, because before you know it time will pass, and you might never get the oppurtunity. The second reason is just because you're a single parent is no excuse to procrastinate either. Learn to priorotize your responsibilities so you can make a better life not only for yourself, but your family as well. College is a truly great experience that you will not want to miss out on!

If I could go back in time, revisit the school of my American higher learning, bring my old self aside; the conversation I would have, I would assume, would go something like this; be patient and focused the parties can wait, time moves faster than you notice, if you stop you?ll be late. Stick to one plan many will come soon, don?t change your ideas, don?t sleep until noon. Be guarded of passion as emotions run high, set multiple alarms, and always be on time. I presume the list would be endless and possibly ignored, if I remember correctly it will be completely ignored. I would explain the streak of independence that seems to overtake the mind of a new student. How the world unfolds to wandering minds in a hunger that never ceases. Or better yet I would tell myself nothing if only to enjoy that year in school, for no advice can ever replace the lessons I learned by being a fool.

If I could go back in time as a high school senior I would change many things. Many adults tell seniors that if you work hard and get good grades, you can get many scholarships. Not only should you work hard at school and be involved in extracurricular activities, but take a step further. Yes scholarships are out there, but you're not going to get letters offering you money, you have to apply to them, not just a couple, as many as you can. Yes it is senior year, the time of your life, but if you would have taken time to fill them out maybe you wouldn't have had to take out loans and use your disabled mother as a cosigner at a bank. Procrastination is your enemy, don't wait till the end when all the money is gone and used up, fill out scholarships and look for grants. Do not be afraid of your guidance counselor for she is the one who holds the key to your future.

When I was in high school i wasn't focused like I should. I made decent grades but I knew my capability of bieng a honor student. Going to college was an eye opening experience. It showed me the true value of getting an eduacation and learning responsibility. Making this transition I wish I was a little more prepared for the college life. Being in college help me in so many ways. It gave me a drive to further my education and pursue my dreams to becoming an Architect. I know the road ahead is challenging but with my faith I know anything is possible. Thinking back when I was in high school, I thought college would be nothing but a big party. This transition showed me everything what my parents and counselors were trying to tell me. At this point I'm glad I recognize life now instead of later. This would be the advice I give myself and other high school seniors.