Houston Community College

« See more reviews of Houston Community College

Only time will tell whether the choices I have made will benefit me or hurt me, but for now, I know that for every problem there is a solution, and while there is still life, there is still time to get my career, education, and life together. I may not become a millionaire, some people may still doubt me and label me, and I may pick a terrible career, but in the end, I know I have made the decisions that I have felt most comfortable with. What started out as a negative has now become a positive, and with the proper tools and the help of the people who share my ambitions, I can ensure that I will do my best to create a better future without repeating my past. ?We are all inventors, each sailing out on a voyage of discovery, guided each by a private chart, of which there is no duplicate. The world is all gates, all opportunities.? - Ralph Waldo Emerson.

Its hard to answer a question such as this ,when I dropped out of high school in the ninth grade, because I was not focused. I later got my GED but if I go back and talk to myself about the college life and the transition, I would tell myself to not give up despite what I was going through because there are so many opportunities if you continue. The college life is what you need to make sound decisions that can better your future. You're are out in the real world and its up to you to make the changes necessary to complete your education. You will need to learn time management and discipline because college is a challenging, but rewarding experience and its truly what you make it. I would tell myself to say encouraged, because if you really want to be successful learn from the mistakes because with every mistake you are that much closer to SUCCESS!!

The biggest advice one can give is to prepare as early as you can for college and save all your money. Eat out less and don't worry about being in the latest fashion. Even though you can make honor roll throughout high school, there is no guarantee that you will get a scholarship and have school paid for. My biggest challenge was paying for school because I was ignorant and believed that with my academic achievement, I would get plenty of scholarship money. College life is far from that of being a high school student. You are in a learning environment surrounded by other people who want to learn as well. There are no distractions or other students making a scene. There are alot of individuals on campus who want to help you succeed and will give you whatever advice and learning tools that will guide you on a path to success.

If I were to go back in time with the knowledge that I have now I would have changed one thing, and that's to apply for scholarships. Back in high school a person could say I was pretty wealthy, my father was a lawyer and my mother was working as an interior designer. Together they made enough money to pay for school out of pocket. A tragic car accident left my mother dead on August of 08'.....from there things spiraled downward. Once my dad got hold of the news he couldn't take it. He packed up all his belongings and left, forcing me to fend for myself. Everything I thought I owned was gone, I had no parents, no car, place, or money. I felt alone and hopeless. I then moved on to try and forget about the past and here I am now struggling to get an education. My mother once said,"The most valuable thing you could ever own is an education"

Jessica, you are a senior and I know it is the most laid back year in high school, but don't take advantage of the situation. Getting your basics in Texas is on the to do list, but think about how your going to continue in your path to attending FIDM in Los Angeles, California. Start looking for scholarships and grants now!!! It's okay to take it easy and have fun ruling Foster,but set some ground rules on how to spend your money and how to start saving. When signing up for courses, look up the classes ahead of time and register as soon as possible before you get stuck in a bad seat with a professor with a bad syllabus. Look up the professor';s you are intersted in on ratemyprofessor.com. Trust me, it helps. One more thing before I let you go, don't let anyone tell you you can't do something. When there is a will, there is a way.

I'm no philosopher, in fact I'm a business major, but my college experience has taught me the "essence of me"... who I am as a person. Most importantly, I have discovered who I want to be as a person. For so long I have been thinking in terms of the short run. What will I be doing a day from now? However, college is my pair of binoculars. It has helped me to see the long-run with all the obstacles along the way. Life. The pursuit of happiness. Reality. College is preparing me for next step...my next leap of faith. My actions, study habits, time management, relations, and balance have all realigned to a more wholesome me. Some people would say knowledge is the most important thing you can learn from college, but I believe there is so much more. You learn who you truly are. You learn your worth...for what its worth, anyways.

Wow, that is a good questions! I would definitely tell myself to stick with college no matter what. Since money was not available, I backed out and figured I would work and go to school. Although I made several attempts to go to school and work, I never finished. I totally regret my decisions in the past, because now I am married with 3 children and most people my age are well into their careers. Choosing to finish college right after high school is the best advice anyone can give. My income would be quadrupled if I could have followed my advice today. I can't afford college because I have 3 kids and responsibilities. This scholarship would definitely be a blessing to me. I have always wanted to be a Nurse and my advice would be to stick with Nursing because the future is bright for medical majors; as is today.

Maria, although it may seem like college will be a piece of cake; it isn't! It is important that you focus on your goal and don't loose sight of what motivates you and keeps you going. Choose your friends wisely and take advantage of all the blessings God has given you. Keep your expectations high and do not settle for less than you deserve. Instead of taking out loans try to apply for more scholarships. Do NOT procrastinate that will only bring bad grades. Keep in mind this is not high school. Do not stop working out because it is a great stress killer. Take care of yourself and love yourself so that any heart breaker who comes along wont affect your life or your studies. Keep on smiling and tighten up your seat belt because you are heading for a bumpy ride. Don't worry it will all be ok. God is in control. Good luck!

I would tell myself to not slack off. As a high school senior, I suffered from what is known as "senioritis". When I was in high school, I took college dual-credit classes, however due to my slacking off and lazy attitude I didn't do so well and now I'm paying the price. I would tell my past self to be more hard working. The transition from high school was not hard, I would tell him to prepare himself for a slightly more rigorous work and ready to have much more fun. That college life is fun and you feel free, however you must also be responsible for your own actions and must incorporate school work with life. That making friends and being social is a incredible experience. Not to be scared and worried about college, because college has made me much more animated and I'm sure it will for him too.

Don't worry, it'll all come to you. You're stressing youself out about graduating early, and finishing all of your classes. Just pause for a second. After graduation, it's going to feel awkward at first. You won't have any homework, and a whole lot of free time. Realize though, that it's just the beginning. College is going to be difficult, and there is no room for procrastination. Get your work done ahead of time, and it'll be easier foryou. Also, remember to register for classes early. That'll keep your parents less worried. College life will be very busy, so try watching less television. Study more, because college professors are not as easy going as high school teachers. (They don't give you the answers!) Just remember to take a deep breath when you're nervous, and you'll do fine.