Houston Community College

« See more reviews of Houston Community College

I would tell myself to stay focused on my future. What is going on right now isn't nearly as important as the path of my education. Even though college will be something new or a little scary at first you have to continue toward your career goals. If you continue your education then everything that seems so difficult while you are doing so will fade in to the background as stepping stones toward a better life. Make your choices carefully; visualize their effects on your future. Never depart from your academic paths unless it is a genuine change made with no other outside influences. Every grade counts! Every class is important so excel every chance you get. Grades show your cumulative effort and perseverance. You are an achiever. Never forget who you are and you will be successful.

I would tell myself to gear up and get ready for college. I would work much harder towards my grades so I could get into the four year university of my choice instead of going to a community college and taking my basic requirements first. Although my current self has taken the long route, I might have told senior self to start looking at universities degree programs and the option of taking basic degree requirements at a local community college. I would have also told my senior self to pick a degree or to narrow my choices down to a few, instead of many. Picking a degree is essential to know where you want to go and what you want to do in life. I would have also told my senior self to save up as much money as I could possibly do, because college is very expensive.

Stay focused. Even though you may not know what you want to do for the rest of your life, don't stress and have fun trying to figure it out. It is a bit ridiculous forcing children who not too long ago had to ask to go to the bathroom to make a decision that would more or less impact them for the rest of their life, but hey, that's life. No matter what mistakes you make in life, always remember that it's never too late to make a change. Even though you're taking things slow by going to a community college, at least you're going to school. Don't waste your parents time and money. Stay focused and I promise that one day, you'll know exactly what you were put on this earth to do, and college will help you get there. Never give up, and always look forward to tomorrow.

If I could go back to my senior year and talk to my self about college life I would definitely tell myself to focus solely on school because its harder than you think. I would have told myself to stay away from the partying and the boys because they will make you get off track. I wouldn't believed myself if I said I was going to get pregnant my freshman year and college but if I would've known that then I would have definitely focused more on school. I also would have told myself about the freshman 15 because gaining wait so fast was so wierd. I should've stayed away from the cheese burgers and the pizza. But now I know what to expect and now I have no chioce but to focus on school so that I can achieve not only for myself but for my beautiful daughter.

College was not important in my family. When I graduated high school I was sent to work immediately. I would go back and tell myself to ignore all those around me and do everything possible to find a way to go to college immediately. I would tell that young, naive high school senior that without that college education she will have much less opportunity in the work place and that she will be judged and measured by that lack of degree for the rest of her professional career. That lack of degree will haunt her and inhibit her professional growth for the next 20 years. I'd encourage her to not let her drive and ambition be limited by her family and to find a teacher to help her work through financial aid forms and make her way to school.

Stay in school, it is easier to continue on the educational path without a large gap of time passing. The information you have at this point is still fresh in your mind and will make for a smoother transition to higher education. You can still work and support your baby while going to school as you have already proven, so why stop now? Be the best example you can be for your daughter. A better education will lead to a better job so that you can give her the things in life you know she deserves. You owe it to yourself to be the best that you can be, education is an important part of that. If you will not listen to anyone else then listen to yourself (me), take care of yourself - no one else will, knowledge is strength, stay strong!

In hind sight to the person I was a few years ago, today I see that I could have enjoyed my high school career allot more that I actually did. If I could go back I would tell myself to not worry so much about test scores and class rank, because after you?re in the system, you?re in the college system. All the work and all the effort that I put into high school is weighted about the same as my first semester of college level work. I would have told myself that life is to short not to be enjoyed and to start living life and enjoy the moment of being a senior in high school and college was another years off. Don't start stressing out like a freshman in college, when you?re still a senior in high school.

Dear self, stop falling asleep in class. Always bring a snack and water with you. When you get tired, eat what you brought. Remember to always be on time with your assignments. Even if it seems like it could wait, it shouldn't. If you don't feel like dressing up, don't. Your outfit won't affect your grade in class, come as comfortable as you'd like. Try to make friends. Friends will help you out when you need to understand something. Don't bring more than five dollars in change per day. Vending machines will eat your wallet alive. Always bring a pen AND a pencil, you never know what your teacher might assign for that day. Always have a good eraser, smudged pencil marks are the work of the devil.

First and foremost I would tell myself to start in the beginning of my senior year looking for all possible scholarship opportunities. Next I would suggest applying as soon as possible to colleges and universities. I would stress the negative effects of procrastination and keeping all deadlines on the top of my mind. Also I would encourage myself to stay on all my teachers' good side because you never know who you may need a letter of reccemendation from. I would advise myself to keep up with any and all extra-curricular activities I choose to take on. Last but not least, I would tell myself to to put school before friends because after graduation many of them won't be there.

If I had gone back in time towards my Senior year in High School knowing what I know now about College I would have told myself I need to work 10 times harder than I actually did. Although I passed and graduated High School its not enough to just pass. If you want to over succeed so you can pass the ones at the top and arent stuck behind then jump ahead and do your research as ask questions pertaining to college. All the oppurtunies I had to push myself I took them for granted and did metiocre work. Good things in life never come easy. Seek the help you need to get to where you beloing. Apply for scholarships and asking counselors for help to get ahead.