Houston Community College Campus Life Reviews

Overall Review for Houston Community College

kendrea

Houston community college is a very conducive school . I love the fact that they do not make the international students feel left out . That’s ones are always carried along and they feel special too. They pay so much attention to them . Tuition is also very affordable

Patricia

Great college with lots of locations, classes. Many excellent Professors.Central campus very stately with rehabilitation of 1940s main campus building. Main campus library is very welcoming and accessible. Main campus parking garage is cery convenient. Many great art and music related courses. Many nice people. Excellent theater, and regular performances.

Mario

The advisors on campus are awesome. Anytime I have a question on what classes to take next or need an opinion on short term planning, they give great insight and I never feel like I'm wasting my time or money. HCC has a lot of locations scattered all over Houston .

Gavin

it is a good college with many good career opportunities. All of the professors I have had so far really do care about our lives and our academic career. I have enjoyed my time here at Houston Community College and look forward to my next couple semesters here.

LaChandria

My overall opinion on HCC is that it's a great college to go to, to save money, focus on your main courses, and finish fast! Great environment all around and all of the staff is very nice and helpful when needed. Great student life as well, they keep everyone engaged in activities on campus.

It is a great school comparing on what campus you attend, I love my professors in both Spring Branch and Alief campus, but if I were to pick from were to get assistance outside from my teachers I would only ask for it from the Alief campus where they actually do care and help you out.

beverly

HCC is a awesome school i highly recommend that anyone that is planning to attend college should consider Houston Community College as one of their choices. Hcc has incredible professor who works with you when you need them the most. The number of resources that they offer is beyond useful. The opportunities that i have already experienced in just my first year at Hcc has helped me in many real life situations.

Alani

I am currently attending Houston Community College to complete my basics. My initial impression of my campus was that it is clean, beautifully renovated and any tools necessary to complete my school work is readily available to me. I find that I study best on campus because the environment is bright, friendly, yet private, as well. As for my advisors, professors and campus faculty, I have found some very nice people I know I can turn to with any concerns and or questions. I enjoy going to campus, because I know I will return home having learned something new and different. While I do recall a lot of great things that I have encountered at school, I have also ran into a few professors that are hard to follow, or even unbearably hard to cooperate with. I have even come across an advisor or two that are in the least bit helpful, but I really do believe the positives outweigh the negatives!

Aisha

It's only good for basics or if you want to finish college really fast. There are many classes available. But, the professors are not the best. Some have very thick accents which make it difficult to communicate. They are very knowledgable of the subject though.

Jadelynn

Houston Community College is a great experience for students that want a smaller environment because stepping into the big campus. Very hands on and understanding the curriculum of each academic class. Boost your confidence and create small social groups for group assignments. Great school :)

caio

Community college is a trick, although you save lots of money and are able to stay close to home there is a downside. The downside is that some of the students are part time and therefore this inhibits a lot of interactions on campus(if you are shy it is very hard to interact). However the staff there is incredibly skilled and intelligent. All professors I have had treat their students professionally and office hours are for the most part always respected. Overall for my needs Houston Community College (HCC) fit me and so far has helped get the resources together in order for me to succeed in transferring to a four year university. Overall I would recommend HCC for Houston natives as it is a cheap and reliable education, I have a lot of friends who are international students who find HCC very well fit for their needs and open to their culture.

alexce

The first reason is Education is very important to me because you cannot be successful in life without an education. Truly my goals are first to be become a successful student and to prove my ability to learn and keep my GPA high so I can graduate. My Goal are very important to me and I need an education to become successful and Now I am in VAST Academy and I am a college student.

brianna

My overall opinion of Houston Community College is that the campus is very well kept and extremely welcoming to all of its students. The professors are always willing to provide assistance to their students because their overall goal is to help us succeed and graduate with our Associate's Degree.

Deborah

I like the school. Compared to a 4 year university, community college is more lenient. My campus, especially, is home to a diverse group of people whom are very welcoming and friendly. Although there is ethnic diversity, political diversity is still very rare. Most of the political organizations are left-leaning so this makes it hard for new students with different sets of ideologies to feel welcome.

Bianca

It's a great community college to get your associates degree in, especially if you're planning on attending University of Houston. The academic advisers aren't as helpful as I would have liked but at the end of the day I graduated with an associates in science and was able to start my pre-COMD program right away! The professors I had there were excellent, and I particularly enjoyed my Creative Writing professors. I also took a few online courses and they were all smooth and painless and my professors were always quick with replying to emails about classwork. The three campuses I attended class at (Spring Branch, Katy, and Cinco Ranch) were nicely kept and had excellent computer labs and libraries. If you're not quite ready for the "big leagues" of higher education, HCC is a great stepping stone to get back into the grind of schoolwork. Or if you're simply looking to get a two-year degree, this college is definitely a great one. Nearly all of my credits were transferable, minus classes like remedial math, and the financial aid advisers were incredibly helpful throughout my two years there. Definitely a community college worth considering.

Courtney

Needs some work.

Neitasschia

This school is great for transfer students who need to get the generals out of the way. Each campus is unique and I love Spring Branch Campus. Its next to everything. This specific campus is great for arts and entertainment I loved going to this campus,

Mikala

I believe that Houston Community College is a great start for many students whether you are a high school graduate or someone that is ready to go back to school. Houston Community College works well with every age. They also provide many classes for online students that possibly can't make it on campus.

Lorie

Houston Community College is a great college to attend to obtain an Associate's Degree or to just simply take classes that will transfer to other universities. Most of the professors are eager to teach and most of the students are eager to learn. The campuses are generally very accommodating. They each offer a wide variety of activities as well as organizations that allow for students to be successful in as well as out of school. If students apply themselves and study hard they will do very well at Houston Community College.

April

Attending the Northwest Campus, which is relatively a small but resourceful college, I was able to complete my Associate of Science and majoring in the Health Sciences. Taking on both high school courses and college courses, my experience at Houston Community College was a very useful transition into my prospect of joining the University of Houston. From the professors'' flexible office hours, class structure, hands-on approach with my peers, Houston Community College is, without a doubt, a stepping to great success. Whether you're looking to simply achieve a bachelors degree or transfer to a bigger institution, Houston Community College completely destroys the misconception that attending a community college should be looked over.

Vickie

Its a good college that molds young minds

Marcell

The college is pretty okay, never expect it to excite me at all. Of course, they do have good food and the instructor are okay but can sometimes be strict about assignments or homework. But overall the college is very good at educating their students and is able to provide help for them. So, if you're interested in continuing your education this school will be right for you.

Dimira

Houston Community College can be extremely unorganized on many different levels. I would prefer to take classes online than in person. Professors can sometimes be rude to students including using foul language and belittling their students. However, it is very rare to find great professors you just have to be very very lucky.

Margaret

Houston Community College is an excellent school to start your academic career. The classes vary in size and there is always a class that will interest you. The teachers are always available to talk, either by email or office hours. HCC is certainly a good place to begin your college career.

Boom! The high school life is over and here comes college. I dreamed of attending a top tier university, but one big problem I had was money. In my case, I had nothing more than my financial aid from the government to help me pay for college. I could have easily decided to take a year off to work and save up money to go to my dream university, but I opted out to go to HCC. It was probably one of the best decisions I have ever made! HCC made my transition from high school to college fairly easy. First of all, it's economical! Classes are affordable and I didn't have to worry about paying my tuition all at once. HCC offers a great payment plan that allows you to pay your tuition monthly if you can't pay it all at once. HCC also does price match on textbooks which helped me buy textbooks at a lower price. Secondly, HCC offers a wide variety of courses! They have almost everything you can thing about; dance courses, culinary courses, animation courses, etc. HCC also has many online courses. Online courses were a life saver for me. If I didn't have time to attend on campus classes, I could always rely on online courses because I could attend and complete my classes from the comfort of my house. And thirdly, HCC offers an extensive range of resources. HCC has an amazing staff that will help you with any problems you have. In my case, the counselors were extremely helpful in helping me figure out what courses I had to take and how to sign up for classes. Also, the financial aid department helped me figure out what I needed to do to pay for my classes. HCC also hosted a lot of job fairs which helped me and other students get jobs. HCC also hosted college/university fairs where different universities would come to HCC and explain how to transfer to their university and what courses I needed to take. Overall, HCC has been a big stepping stone for me! HCC is a big, helpful community that aims to help their students achieve success. I strongly feel that attending HCC was a great way to start off my college life!

Keenan

It's a great school and very supportive. They have a full staffing for all the different types of need. They are very secure and safe. great view very neat and clean. they have hands on staff personal assisstance and great with mentally and physically disabled students.

COURTNEY

Houston Community College is a great school overall mainly for three reasons. First, HCC is a great place to start if a person has been out of the school system and needs to return for job or personal reasons. Secondly, HCC is also perfect for recent high school graduates that would like to ease into the college life instead of heading straight into a four year university. Last, there are tons of locations spread throughout the Houston area to attend. This allows comfort and flexibility when registering and attending classes.

This was a great place for me to start. However, i've had numerous issues. I couldn't imagine being here for a full two years. First off, the financial aid office has misplaced a lot of my documents which has been an issue. My first semester of classes, my very first class, the professor didn't show up. She did this twice in a row. This really irked me, because I had literally just started the semester. I have had about 3 teacher flops where the professor in my opinion was no good, and I wound up having to teach myself mostly everything. Then I also had two phenomenal teachers who I learned an extraordinary amount from. It seems like a coin flip for what you're going to get. My issue with HCC is nothing is consistent. But if you're just trying to start somewhere, I think they're great. Knock out your prereqs and move on up to a big university.

Dorothy

It is a good affordable community college with teachers who are willing to help you every step of the way . Nice atmosphere, no drugs, every one is really nice, you also have good counselors who work with YOU so you can make a decent Gpa in order for you to transfer to a four year college. I hope this was helpful

Bianca

It's not the best schools to attend but for sure it's the best community college in my opinion. I have been attending at HCC for 2 years and I will be graduating with my associates degree this May 2018. I have been given the chance to start college courses at the age of 16, while I was a sophomore in high school.

Brianna

Starting off at HCC was a smart move for me because it's cheaper financially. Although I wish it was a community college that offered Greek life and possibly a housing option, it's still a great school. The class sizes are great for someone who is just trying to get the hang of school again, you can pick your pace, and the professors are great. They have decent clubs/organizations, and great academic opportunities. I've been able to thrive here so far and can't wait to transfer to UofH. The only con I have with HCC is their financial aid, but if you are someone that pays out of pocket or is on a scholarship you probably won't have to worry about that. I would definitely recommend this school to someone considering going back to school.

Sandra

Houston Community College is a college in which offers education to people of all ages. It has great demographic diversity which makes in-class discussions interesting.

johny

I am very happy that I chose to attend this college. I feel that the people I will meet are always around the corner. The environment of HCC is very positive and I wish that i could spend more time here.

brittany

Houston Community College is a wonderful school to attend. There are so many campuses available to cater to each students specific need. The overall involvement and diversity is amazing. You are able to meet people from all walks of life which makes the experience even better. There are also tutors that are able to assist you academically both in person and online.

chiedozie

Good college. You get what you paid for. There is grants to pay for school, good campuses, help anytime you need, friends. Although i went to only one campus, I still loved the experience. There is lunch during festive seasons and plenty students queue up to get some food. Good school overrall

carlos

Honestly is fine. The professors, people, staff are nice. For me, it is amazing because of experience. The reason is that you get to see lot's of stuff such as, the people and places, you get to see different variety of people and places or area, if you have time on your hand's you might find something you like, depending on where you are.

Des'jea

I really like it. The classes aren't big and the professors are hands on. It's mostly a quiet scenery and it's very convient for me. Unfortunately, there is no gym, dorms, or much activities at the South Campus, but we have a student lounge with a pool table. That's the best it's going to get, but overall it's a great school for it's size.

Casandra

Great school, professors are very accessible to students. Some professors offer extra tutorial help for students who are having difficulty in understanding the subject. Library staff is very helpful, they explain very well how to access online information in our databases. HCC student life consists of study groups, after school sport teams, small volunteer groups etc. School campus is very small but it's perfect for students who don't like large campuses or large classes. Overall great economical school.

Jonathan

The community college that I am currently am attending at the moment, have a great atmosphere but the professors that are chosen to lecture through the classes are not very tech-savvy and most are hard to understand. Some of the professors are available off-campus but the transportation to get to their off-campus location is at least a 40-minute drive to a separate campus. Most of the professors are immigrants and retirees of professional fields, so they either have a heavy accent when giving lectures or do not have enough effort into doing so, because of this students will have to rely on their independent learning skills. The accessibility of all the shops and restaurants around the area is attainable. The extracurricular activities and clubs are up to par.

Chinecherem

Houston Community College is a overall great university with many different campuses that are convenient for people living in the surrounding Houston areas. The professors at some campuses are excellent and will do anything to help you succeed in their class, while others don't seem to care and are just there to get payed. Since this is a community college, there is no housing or off campus living arrangements. The only Houston Community College campus I would recommend is Central campus because it is the main campus and there is tons of resources, plus they have a French Cafe that serves all different kinds of food, and for coffee lovers they have a Starbucks on campus. The cost to attend is very affordable and to be a full time student, you're only paying about $900-3,000 depending on if you're considered in or out of district.

Chantel

My overall thought of HCC is that it's a place to begin your new journey in life. Where you meet new people make connections and broaden your horizon. It's where you can learn Who You Are and what you are meant to do in this world. It's the next step.

nadia

It has a great learning environment professors are extremely great and are always just so helpful when in need.

Stevens

I think Houston Community College is a great college. It is based on your own time and you set your own schedule along with the classes that you want to take. Everything is at your own pace but it is a great way to begin your college journey. Has time go on you will develop.

keren

...........................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................

Celeste

Houston Community College is an amazing and affordable community college. HCC provides many courses and a variety of medical classes. There is a HCC specified for health science which is conveniently located in the medical field. There are other HCC campuses that specify various careers. The class sizes are small so it is easy for the professors to get to know each individual.The professors not only work at our community college but also work at universities so we are receiving the equal education but at a lower cost. With the class size nearly all questions can be answered and explained within the period. It is also easy working in groups due to the class size. It can be expected to see the same students in other classes so making study groups becomes easier.

Julia

Houston community College, is the institute which have helped many students from low income families to achieve their goals. HCC has been very beneficial to me in my academic life, I have learned how to save money and focus on my studies. it's is a wide community system with slit if international studentss, and this makes me feel confortable whenever I am at school.

mahnoor

I love it. The classes are small, convenient and most importantly "Cheap". Most professors are nice and helpful. Tutoring sessions help a lot as well. There many locations in Houston which helps a lot. You can easily make friends and attend many events. Sometimes there is free food too. The bookstore has all the books but everything else is a bit expensive.

Jenny

it seems good

Thane

Decent community college, Classes are reasonable (mostly), professors (if you get the right ones) are helpful and motivated, the teaching is very liberal and sometimes even leftest in its political origins (but does allow for some discussion on the topic), discrimination against students based on race, age, sex/gender, political or religious affiliation and opinion voiced or otherwise was little to none. I enjoyed my time there, and would recommend going, just don't do the late start classes on heavy subjects.

Yazmin

Houston Community College isn't the worst school you can find. A lot of people complain about it because it doesn't have as much prestige as the next school but for what you're paying, its worth it. I personally love the classes and the teachers care about the students, but it does depend on the outlook you have. I think it's pretty good 2-year college.