Brownwood, TX
Howard Payne University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Howard Payne University

Diana

My overall opinion of Howard Payne is that it always makes sure that all students are comfortable. In my experience when i was looking for a college to attend Howard Payne would always get me excited. The 5 hour drive from my house to Howard Payne was always worth it. Only Howard Payne would worry about me and check up on me and when I chose it as my college it felt right.

Jack

I love Howard Payne University. The best part about it is the feeling of family and community you have with the other students on campus. Smaller class sizes and teachers who seem genuinely concerned about you as a student really help you succeed. Additionally, they offer great scholarships to help you pay for school.

SHANNON

I really like the small classroom sizes.

I really like the small classroom sizes.

It is a good school with very nice teachers who are willing to work with you on anything you need. Howard Payne is a small campus, so the classes are smaller which makes it easier for the teachers to be able to help you with whatever you need help on.

Justin

I am currently enrolled as a Freshmen. I enjoy the college environment as well as the class size. Instructors are just great. The Campus is beautiful and the student body has been very welcoming. I would highly recommend HPU to anyone interested.

Trystin
Pretty Awesome

I really enjoy my school! I love all the people and teachers here.

Pretty Awesome

I really enjoy my school! I love all the people and teachers here.

Brittney

Most importantly I would tell my self to work on more financial aid help. So I could be more secure in the financial aspect of school. I would also tell myself to take bettter notes and remember more information. So many of the things I learned my first year of school were things I went over in high school. And if I had kept up with those notes and learned the information for life instead of the next test that would have been extremely helpful. Also if I had kept my notes organized then I could have refered to them at this time. These are all things I will be sharing with my brother and sister so they can be prepared for college themselves.

The fact that it is a small school and it is really easy to get comfortable. I am pretty shy and the fact that I have a lot of friends and got comfortable with the people around me. Along with the educational upside. It makes it easier to have a better relationship with your professors. They can help you more and know you personally because of the student to teacher ratio. You are getting first hand help.

The fact that it is in a really small town and there isnt much around. The closest bigger cities are and hour away. All we have really is a Walmart I would like a little more options.

I absolutely love Howard Payne! I went to a small high school, so coming here wasn't extremely overwhelming because its small for a university. Sometimes the size can be an issue because people tend to know everything about everyone which is super annoying. Also Brownwood is a pretty lame town, you pretty much have to entertain yourself cause there's not much to do in town. The people at Howard Payne are also so great; I have always felt very welcomed and important here. The professors are amazing too, they invest so much in us as students and truly want to see us succeed. Plus they're just fun! Most of my favorite people ever are at this school which I think is really saying something. Hang out spots change a lot because, like I said, there's not much to do in town so you're constantly having to come up with things to do and places to hang out. Some of my favorite memories have come about from being bored and having to think of something to entertain ourselves with. Hanging out in friends' dorms or apartments is always a good option though and something I do often.

What are your classes like?

I love my classes, mostly because the professors are all so great. I mean I have my lazy times like everyone where I don't want to go to class or I'm putting off my homework, but overall I love them. Especially when you get into your major classes.

We have a pretty mixed group here. Christian, non-Christian, athlete, book worm, black, white, hispanic.... the list goes on and on. I really believe that there is a niche for anyone and everyone here. Everybody kind of just does their own thing, some dress up for class, others just get out of bed and go in the pajamas and its great because nobody really cares! Most of us are from towns in Texas, but we do have a fairly large group of students from all over the US who came for sports or because they have a family member who is a Howard Payne alumni. It's really interesting meeting new people and finding out how they got to this small school that no one has ever heard of.

I think the academic programs here are great. The professors really invest in the students, even the ones not in their classes which is amazing to me. I am double majoring in Math and Art Communication and two of the professors I've had for classes are on my top three favorite teachers EVER list and i just love taking their classes! I feel like the majority of students try to take their classes seriously and we do end up doing a lot of studying and homework together which is always really fun and relieves a lot of our stress. I would say that some students are more competitive than others, but the majority of us just try to do our best and do well in our classes. A lot of Howard Payne graduates go into really good jobs or go on to get a higher degree. The professors really try to steer you in a professional direction by giving you hands on, applicable lessons that are actually going to help you in life. One of my favorite classes that I've taken here was a Forensic Science class. We learned how to do all of these really cool forensic tests like fingerprint analysis and blood splatter analysis. Our final for that class was a mock crime scene where we had to find clues and develop a good hypothesis of what we believed happened. Our professor dressed up as a judge and we had to go in individually and ask for him to sign a warrant!! It was the best final ever!

I feel like the typical image that students have here is Baptist students who just came here to find a spouse and get married. While there are a lot of Baptist students and engagements tend to happen here often, Howard Payne is so much more than that. There are so many different types of people here which is amazing for such a small school. The majority are students that come from well off families, but not all of us. :)

Jasmine

Knowing what I know now as an adult who is struggling to continue my education and work full time, I definitely would have a lot to say to the high school me. I would explain the importance of education and how time is not on our side. The college experience and education is very important for the growth process of an individual. Although the thought of leaving the nest to venture off into the world may seem scary at first, it will all be worth it in the end. I would also explain to myself that the whole transition is hard but not an impossible task. If I would have had this conversation with the HS me and knowing the struggles I face today to obtain my education while balancing a full time job and all of the other responsibilities adults face, Im sure things would be very different.

Jarrod

It is best known for its kindness to the students and the community.

It is best known for its kindness to the students and the community.

I would sit myself down and tell me to simply be patient and not to worry. All through out high school, especially my senior year, I was the most impatient person and I worried all the time. In all reality I just needed to keep my faith in knowing that no matter what my plans will unfold to, through, and after college. I would continue to say enjoy each moment I have but be weary of the future, just do not let it stress you out. Then I would give myself a big hug.

I say how extremely friendly the students and faculty are. These people really show you love and they make you never wanna leave. Even when you are having tough times and you feel like theres no way to get out of it, everyone comes to your aid to make you feel like you can do anything.

Howard Payne University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.