Howard Payne University Top Questions

Brittney

Most importantly I would tell my self to work on more financial aid help. So I could be more secure in the financial aspect of school. I would also tell myself to take bettter notes and remember more information. So many of the things I learned my first year of school were things I went over in high school. And if I had kept up with those notes and learned the information for life instead of the next test that would have been extremely helpful. Also if I had kept my notes organized then I could have refered to them at this time. These are all things I will be sharing with my brother and sister so they can be prepared for college themselves.

Jasmine

Knowing what I know now as an adult who is struggling to continue my education and work full time, I definitely would have a lot to say to the high school me. I would explain the importance of education and how time is not on our side. The college experience and education is very important for the growth process of an individual. Although the thought of leaving the nest to venture off into the world may seem scary at first, it will all be worth it in the end. I would also explain to myself that the whole transition is hard but not an impossible task. If I would have had this conversation with the HS me and knowing the struggles I face today to obtain my education while balancing a full time job and all of the other responsibilities adults face, Im sure things would be very different.

Jarrod

I would sit myself down and tell me to simply be patient and not to worry. All through out high school, especially my senior year, I was the most impatient person and I worried all the time. In all reality I just needed to keep my faith in knowing that no matter what my plans will unfold to, through, and after college. I would continue to say enjoy each moment I have but be weary of the future, just do not let it stress you out. Then I would give myself a big hug.

Madeleine

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior, I would give myself lots of advice for making the transition to college life. I would tell myself to be outgoing, and to get involved in extracurricular activities. It's so important to just get out of your dorm room and just hang out where people are. I would tell myself that it's important to spend time studying, but it's also important to make time to spend with friends and make memories that will last a lifetime. I would also tell myself not to stress out, because everything will work out in the end. There will be good days and bad days, but you must take each with a grain of salt. College is about learning: both in class and outside of class. I would encourage myself to discover who I am as a person, and embrace the person I was born to be.

So far what I have gotten out of my college experience is the blessings of friendship and amazing professors. Most, if not all professor's know the students by name and are interested in their lives. I greatly appreciate that in a college, such as Howard Payne University. It's definitely the cherry to the top of this private college! I am also glad to be apart of the Howard Payne family and all of it's traditions. It has been valuable to attend this college simply because it has been the best turn around for me. I wasn't that interested in furthering my studies, until I recently came to this college. I now know that I want to be successful and work hard for my Bachelor's degree.

Deborah

I have gotten the most out of my college experience by all the many lasting friendships I have made and by all the most wonderful and qualified perfessionals I have been taught by. I have been involved in campus life and received distinguished awards because of the many opportunities at Howard Payne. I am equipped and qualified to enter the work force and to receive my master's degree. I have learned a great deal about myself, my skills, my role, and my purpose in life from the experiences I underwent at Howard Payne University (HPU). The people involved at HPU are there to be involved in your life. They want to invest in you and your future. You are truely a faceand a name, not a number. My favorite times at HPU is as a Resident Assistant. I was able to invest in new students and help them have the same wonderful experience that I had . My Resident Director, who was more like a mentor, is who I think about when I think about Howard Payne University (my alma mater). She, like many people, have invested in me and my future simply because that is their heart's desire.

Haley

There's something wonderful about leaving home and actually discovering who you are on your own. In the few months I've been here, I've already discovered some not-so-wonderful things about myself, but it's important for me to know who I am, inside and out, so I can work towards a better future. Howard Payne in particular has been a wonderful place for me to go, because I'm still free to do, basically whatever i want, but there's enough guidance and structure available if i need it, so that I won't get lost in the crowd or allow things to get out of control. The faculty and staff here are some of the most caring people I've ever met, and the students exemplify the same qualities and characteristics.

ANGELA

AT THIS TIME IN COLLEGE EXPERIENCE I HAVE LEARNED THAT SCHOOL IS VERY INPORTANT. BEING ABLE TO GO ANYWHERE IN LIFE YOU ARE HAVING TO HAVE AN EDUCATION. WHEN I AM IN CLASS I LOOK FORWARD TO LEARNING SOMETHING NEW THAT I DID NOT KNOW. BEING ABLE TO MEET NEW PEOPLE IS A JOY. YOU START TO LEARN NEW THING'S NOT ONLY ABOUT YOURSELF, BUT OTHER'S AS WELL. EVERYDAY LIFE IS A LEARNING GAME. BEING IN SCHOOL TEACHES YOU A TRADE THAT YOU HAVE A LOVE FOR SO YOU CAN TAKE THAT SKILL AND HELP PEOPLE. I LEARNED THAT I AM A BETTER STUDENT THAN I WAS GIVING MY SELF CREDIT FOR. JUST ENJOYING THE LITTLE STEPS THAT ARE THOUGHT TO US TO HELP MAKE OUR LIVES EASIER. LIKE KEEPING NOTES, TO BEING ABLE TO KEEP A TASK LIST THAT HELPS YOU GET MORE DONE. THANK YOU FOR YOUR TIME.

The thing that I've gotten most out of my college experience while going to Howard Payne University this short amount of time is that not all people or all colleges are bad. My first college I went to I got rear-ended by a drunk driver and was also sexual harassed, and the officals at the school did nothing about either of those incidences. When I first began going to school at Howard Payne I was afraid it was going to turn out just like that, but I was wrong. The teachers are wonderful, the students are amazing, the administrators are helpful, and the whole campus is laid back. It's been a wonderful experience and I've even made friends. Which is valuable to me because with my past I'm not one to be outgoing, but at the college people take you under their wings and I'm very grateful for that.

Ariel

College has been one of the most interesting experiences I have ever had. It has helped me to not only broaden my knowledge in the educational world but, also in the real world. I believe that college has taught me so many life lessons that I will be able to apply to my future. Although college is expensive, I believe it is the best investment I have ever made because of everything it has taught me.

T.

College is a whole new world where you can find out who you really are. It is a new beginning when you can find out if you really are who you have been or if you've been putting on a show all of high school. I have met new friends that i am looking forward to keeping untill my death. It has taught me how to manage my time and it has helped me mature as a person.

Josh

While attending Howard Payne University I have gotten more than I anticipated. My friends from there are still my friends now even a year after graduation. The professors helped me find exactly what I needed to in order to become the best person and graduate tht i could be. The University taught me how to be not only a good student but a better person.

Kaylyn

Relax. This is exactly were you are supposed to be. You will be fine. Make friends with other students and the teachers. They are there to help. Make your dorm room home. Take everything you could ever want in the first trip. You will be amazed at how much stuff you can fit in there. Leave the door open. Everyone else is just as lost as you are. Take a chance and do things outside your comfort zone. Freshman orientation is loads of fun. Go for it.

Danielle

Danielle, don't worry about anything. New friends will come along quickly and they will be the kind that will last for a life time. Try not to sweat the small stuff and if someone annoys you, forgive and forget. And don't worry so much about your classes, just because you had a bad experience with an online course the beginning of this year, doesn't mean that your classes will be bad. Just have fun in college and don't freak whenever everyone else knows what they want to do with their life. You'll figure it all out eventually and have a great time along the way. Have fun girl and see you later.

Jonathan

I would tell myself that I should take dual-credit courses to get through some of my basics. After taking the required classes that I needed for my basics, I wish I had taken dual-credit courses which would have saved me a lot of time and money now. I would also tell myself to stop being depressed all the time and be happy that God loved me and that life isn't all about High School.

Kendra

The best advice to give parents and students: take a deep breath! The next couple of year will be the most exciting and trying times of your lives. Finding the right college all depends on the student's career choice. Make sure the college has the right degree program and the connections for job opportunities after graduation. To make the most out of college is to jump into everything possible. It will open the door for endless friendships. Making the right friends will make or break your college experience. Lastly, take time to "smell the roses." The next couple of years will fly by, and remember to enjoy every minute!

Danielle

I would advise for parents and students to go with what your heart feels. If you can picture your college career the moment you step foot on campus, you'll know its the right onw for you.

Danielle

First of all, it starts with your high school career. Get your grades in place then start looking at a variety of colleges early. The earlier you start looking and applying for different colleges the better chance you will have at getting the one you want. Choose different colleges with different sizes visit them and get a feel for what you may or may not like. Parents, don?t decide for you kids what school they want; it?s their future so simply give them the pros and cons of your opinions. Students, choose something you can live with for the next four or more years. You are going to be spending the majority of your time there, so make sure it?s a place you are not going to hate in three weeks. Next start looking at the cost and then the scholarships they offer. Make sure you get something you can afford and won't be paying off the rest of your life. After finding the right one, get settled in and make the most of the beginning of the rest of your life. Corny I know but it?s for real. Mostly, study hard and have fun!

Reece

Find the college that fits you best. Some people will do better at smaller schools and some won't. Find out what schools are out there and don't think you can't afford it. And don't write off a school because it is smaller.

Stephen

Really think about what you want in a college. Think about the size of your high school...was it small? big? Do you really want to go to a school of 20,000 students or would you do better in a school of 1,500 (Howard Payne)? Look into the social activities the school provides...what are you looking for in that? Yes, you have chosen to go to college to earn your degree, but you also are there to live and begin your adult life. Also look into the town. How big is the town and what is there to do? Will the town just get you in trouble or will it help you further with your education?

Vanessa

Parents: allow your children to pick where he or she wants to go. Dont force a school on your child, bu simply suggest visiting schools to find where he or she will fit in most. Money should be an issue in helping your student find a school. Now-a-days, they have great scholarships and loans that can fit your lifestyle best. Students: its not impossible for you to find a college that suits you. Going to a college where you fit in is the best choice you could make. Allow yourself to be vulnerable and make new friends. Dont worry about it being to expensive, ther are many opportunities to pay for school, just ask. GOOD LUCK!

Finding a college is like finding a pair of shoes; they may look great but sometimes they just dont fit you the right way. Look for the school that feels great, fits you, and has what you want it to have. First impressions are often correct, so trust your instincts and pick what best fits you.

Wesley

The key word in making the most of your college experience is commitment. You must be committed to learning all you can and not giving up when times get hard. Work hard and leave the partying to those who don't care. Always respect your professors and they will help you. But most of all, you must abide by these three words: "and then some". Do what is required of you and then some. You can't go wrong as long as you put forth your best and don't hold back.

Angela

Parents and students should visit various colleges and pick a college based on the way they feel while they are on campus. The student should be able to see themselves there and shouldn't worry about what other people want them to do. Students and parents should also talk to someone on campus about the major that they will fall in so that they are not surprised about what classes will or will not be offered.

Daniel

It is important where you go, however, it is what you make it. It doesn't matter where you go you will find what you want to. Have fun and choose a place where you feel you will be comfortable, and don't go somewhere just because everyone else is!

Tabitha

Don't be afraid of finding "the perfect school." Decide what your priorities in a school are, and don't compromise them - make school be what you want it to be. Put forth your best effort, and then have fun; trust me, there will be time for it, and you won't have to feel guilty.

Derek

I would recommend that students be real with themselves and what they want to do. If they enjoy being in an atmosphere that more closly resembles a crowded party scene, then a smaller more private university is not a good fit for them. If they want to be able to pick from a rather large variety of majors and class options, then they need to look for a school that offers such. And parents, putting added pressures on a student to figure out right now what they want from life and who they will be in ten years is a bad idea. These next few years are a time when people really begin to uncover who they are and what they stand for. There is no way of knowing who a person will turn out as when you ask them right before they undergo such a process and time.

Justin

There are several things that I would tell anyone who is about to embark on the endeavor of choosing a college and a major. My advice would simply be to follow what your heart tells you. This may sound cheesy and unrealistic but, in reality, it's not. If you want to attend a large university, go for it! If you want to major in something that you've always dreamed of doing, do it! Never listen to doubt. Do not deter from your dream because or hard circumstances. It is your dream, your future, and your life. Put your faith in what you most believe in and let God handle the rest. This is the chance of a lifetime, and it is your chance.

Randen

Find A place you can get involved in.

kim

Choose Howard Payne!!

Lesley

I would tell parents and students alike to really take the time to figure out what characteristics that they really love in a college and what works best for them. I would definitley encourage them to spend time visiting different kinds of colleges to find what really is going to give them the best experience while helping them meet their educational goals. Once they find the college that fits them, I'd tell them to dig in. Again, getting the best experience really depends on how much the student puts into it. By digging in and getting involved and seeing what's out there, students are going to find the place that they love to fit the most and that's going to make their college experience so much more memorable. The academics will fall into place if they've chosen the place that they believed was the best fit. It's the balance between the academic and social that makes for a great college experience. Not only will this give them great memories, but it will prepare them for the future beyond college. It will give them their footing for the rest of their life.

Denise

Although some may focus on environment and chances to have fun, the most important thing is your education. Which school has an academic plan to suit your own needs? Go to one that has the major you need, and tools to help you grow. Before going to this school, I never had the opportunity to participate in music with such dedication. My other university didn't have a cohesion between the theater and music departments, and very few ensembles. Go where you can recieve the best knowledge and experience. However, also take into account location. There is not a day that goes by that I don't miss the big city. Choose and environment thats familiar, or at least has access to what you know. When you are surrounded by the familiar, college seems like less of a transition, and more of a continuation to your education. Also, check out the school's policy on AP credits. If they accept anything lower than a 3, run far in the other direction. Low standards do not prepare you for success. If you plan on graduate work, pick a school that is know for students continuing. Always increase your chance for success.

Tabitha

Don't be afraid to be who you are. Colleges are made up of many different people coming from many backgrounds, and each person is trying to discover who they are and what they truly believe during their collegiate experience. During this time, it is easy to conform to what is going on around you, but be sure to stand for what makes you different and focus on what you can do with that discovery. As far as finding the right place, be sure to visit at many campuses as possible, and ask questions about each one. Go where you can see yourself fulfilling these ideas the best. Then do what you can do make a difference on your campus; who knows the impact you can have by being yourself!

Kara

Find a college that you can afford and a college in a area where there are things to do off campus. Make the best of your experience and try to not focus on how far away from home it is. Enjoy the process!

Shirley

One of the main things is to be involved and don't go home to often. College is your time to find out who you are. I am not saying that you need to experiment and do crazy stuff. Stay legal. You can find out way more stuff sober. But really be involved in university life. When you are looking at schools, look at the school spirit and look at all the opportunities they give for you to do stuff on campus. Being involved is the greatest way to make life long connections with fellow students.