Howard Payne University

« See more reviews of Howard Payne University

Although some may focus on environment and chances to have fun, the most important thing is your education. Which school has an academic plan to suit your own needs? Go to one that has the major you need, and tools to help you grow. Before going to this school, I never had the opportunity to participate in music with such dedication. My other university didn't have a cohesion between the theater and music departments, and very few ensembles. Go where you can recieve the best knowledge and experience. However, also take into account location. There is not a day that goes by that I don't miss the big city. Choose and environment thats familiar, or at least has access to what you know. When you are surrounded by the familiar, college seems like less of a transition, and more of a continuation to your education. Also, check out the school's policy on AP credits. If they accept anything lower than a 3, run far in the other direction. Low standards do not prepare you for success. If you plan on graduate work, pick a school that is know for students continuing. Always increase your chance for success.

I have gotten the most out of my college experience by all the many lasting friendships I have made and by all the most wonderful and qualified perfessionals I have been taught by. I have been involved in campus life and received distinguished awards because of the many opportunities at Howard Payne. I am equipped and qualified to enter the work force and to receive my master's degree. I have learned a great deal about myself, my skills, my role, and my purpose in life from the experiences I underwent at Howard Payne University (HPU). The people involved at HPU are there to be involved in your life. They want to invest in you and your future. You are truely a faceand a name, not a number. My favorite times at HPU is as a Resident Assistant. I was able to invest in new students and help them have the same wonderful experience that I had . My Resident Director, who was more like a mentor, is who I think about when I think about Howard Payne University (my alma mater). She, like many people, have invested in me and my future simply because that is their heart's desire.

I would tell parents and students alike to really take the time to figure out what characteristics that they really love in a college and what works best for them. I would definitley encourage them to spend time visiting different kinds of colleges to find what really is going to give them the best experience while helping them meet their educational goals. Once they find the college that fits them, I'd tell them to dig in. Again, getting the best experience really depends on how much the student puts into it. By digging in and getting involved and seeing what's out there, students are going to find the place that they love to fit the most and that's going to make their college experience so much more memorable. The academics will fall into place if they've chosen the place that they believed was the best fit. It's the balance between the academic and social that makes for a great college experience. Not only will this give them great memories, but it will prepare them for the future beyond college. It will give them their footing for the rest of their life.

First of all, it starts with your high school career. Get your grades in place then start looking at a variety of colleges early. The earlier you start looking and applying for different colleges the better chance you will have at getting the one you want. Choose different colleges with different sizes visit them and get a feel for what you may or may not like. Parents, don?t decide for you kids what school they want; it?s their future so simply give them the pros and cons of your opinions. Students, choose something you can live with for the next four or more years. You are going to be spending the majority of your time there, so make sure it?s a place you are not going to hate in three weeks. Next start looking at the cost and then the scholarships they offer. Make sure you get something you can afford and won't be paying off the rest of your life. After finding the right one, get settled in and make the most of the beginning of the rest of your life. Corny I know but it?s for real. Mostly, study hard and have fun!

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior, I would give myself lots of advice for making the transition to college life. I would tell myself to be outgoing, and to get involved in extracurricular activities. It's so important to just get out of your dorm room and just hang out where people are. I would tell myself that it's important to spend time studying, but it's also important to make time to spend with friends and make memories that will last a lifetime. I would also tell myself not to stress out, because everything will work out in the end. There will be good days and bad days, but you must take each with a grain of salt. College is about learning: both in class and outside of class. I would encourage myself to discover who I am as a person, and embrace the person I was born to be.

The thing that I've gotten most out of my college experience while going to Howard Payne University this short amount of time is that not all people or all colleges are bad. My first college I went to I got rear-ended by a drunk driver and was also sexual harassed, and the officals at the school did nothing about either of those incidences. When I first began going to school at Howard Payne I was afraid it was going to turn out just like that, but I was wrong. The teachers are wonderful, the students are amazing, the administrators are helpful, and the whole campus is laid back. It's been a wonderful experience and I've even made friends. Which is valuable to me because with my past I'm not one to be outgoing, but at the college people take you under their wings and I'm very grateful for that.

Knowing what I know now as an adult who is struggling to continue my education and work full time, I definitely would have a lot to say to the high school me. I would explain the importance of education and how time is not on our side. The college experience and education is very important for the growth process of an individual. Although the thought of leaving the nest to venture off into the world may seem scary at first, it will all be worth it in the end. I would also explain to myself that the whole transition is hard but not an impossible task. If I would have had this conversation with the HS me and knowing the struggles I face today to obtain my education while balancing a full time job and all of the other responsibilities adults face, Im sure things would be very different.

I would recommend that students be real with themselves and what they want to do. If they enjoy being in an atmosphere that more closly resembles a crowded party scene, then a smaller more private university is not a good fit for them. If they want to be able to pick from a rather large variety of majors and class options, then they need to look for a school that offers such. And parents, putting added pressures on a student to figure out right now what they want from life and who they will be in ten years is a bad idea. These next few years are a time when people really begin to uncover who they are and what they stand for. There is no way of knowing who a person will turn out as when you ask them right before they undergo such a process and time.

AT THIS TIME IN COLLEGE EXPERIENCE I HAVE LEARNED THAT SCHOOL IS VERY INPORTANT. BEING ABLE TO GO ANYWHERE IN LIFE YOU ARE HAVING TO HAVE AN EDUCATION. WHEN I AM IN CLASS I LOOK FORWARD TO LEARNING SOMETHING NEW THAT I DID NOT KNOW. BEING ABLE TO MEET NEW PEOPLE IS A JOY. YOU START TO LEARN NEW THING'S NOT ONLY ABOUT YOURSELF, BUT OTHER'S AS WELL. EVERYDAY LIFE IS A LEARNING GAME. BEING IN SCHOOL TEACHES YOU A TRADE THAT YOU HAVE A LOVE FOR SO YOU CAN TAKE THAT SKILL AND HELP PEOPLE. I LEARNED THAT I AM A BETTER STUDENT THAN I WAS GIVING MY SELF CREDIT FOR. JUST ENJOYING THE LITTLE STEPS THAT ARE THOUGHT TO US TO HELP MAKE OUR LIVES EASIER. LIKE KEEPING NOTES, TO BEING ABLE TO KEEP A TASK LIST THAT HELPS YOU GET MORE DONE. THANK YOU FOR YOUR TIME.

There's something wonderful about leaving home and actually discovering who you are on your own. In the few months I've been here, I've already discovered some not-so-wonderful things about myself, but it's important for me to know who I am, inside and out, so I can work towards a better future. Howard Payne in particular has been a wonderful place for me to go, because I'm still free to do, basically whatever i want, but there's enough guidance and structure available if i need it, so that I won't get lost in the crowd or allow things to get out of control. The faculty and staff here are some of the most caring people I've ever met, and the students exemplify the same qualities and characteristics.