Washington, DC
Howard University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Howard University

Norell

Howard University is school that provides many opportunities.

Howard University is school that provides many opportunities.

If i could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior i would tell myself not to stress so much about what is going to happen when i arrive. I would tell myself that you will only do as well as the hard work that you put into your course load. No one can tell you that you will not succeed because you are the only person that you need to give you that extra push. I would also tell myself that college life is very similar to high school life because no matter where you go there will always be the cliques and all the immature people that will try to bring you down. The friendships that you make will definately last you a lifetime so choose your friends wisely. All in all your college years really are the best years of your life so make them count and just do your best.

I don't think there any specific type of person that should attend this school because everyone is so diverse.

Cindy

Howard University is the Mecca, that means people look to us for everything to socioeconomic change to political rallies, to setting example for the world to see.

Dear Senior, Enjoy all the experiences of high school and all the good times you've had. Remember the times that made you cry, smile, and laugh because those are the ones you will cherish and reflect on the most. Keep in contact with your friends. Be prepared for college because the academic rigors are so different from high school. Work hard and stay focused the key to college is time management, being able to schedule your day and follow through with it. When applying to schools always keep your options open, never worry about the price of attending a university of your choice. Dont worry if you have no idea what you wanna do in life, but at least have a general idea what direction you wanna go. I would recommend you shadow someone in the particular field you choose. When shopping for school dont over spend on supplies, clothes, etc. When you finally get here have FUN, introduce to people and smile and make friends cause lets face it they are all here from home for the first time. They feel the same way you do, in a new situation away from and there anxious. Enjoy life & College!

The best thing at Howard University are the students and the great experience you get you learn. You fall in love with this school the moment you get from the interactions and the city. There so much to do in DC from the food to the people, its a live cultural experience, to the different sreas around town. You can learn so much here, i love this university and the city. Look, the white house is in my schools backyard! Everything that happens in America happens here, all the movers and shakers are here!!! Best place you could be.

Sheji

A person who can deal with drama and stay focused

I would tell myself to take advantage of every oppotunity that was given to me while I was in college. I would make sure I'd explain and research every major so that I would not have to change my major when I arrived at school. I would tell myself to pick classes that would work with my sleep schedule. I would also warn myself that college is full of temptation and I would be much better off if I stuck to my morals and values that I was taught at home and stayed focused on the reason why I was going to college in the first place. I would tell myself about not being in a group and only hanging out with a specfic group of people but explain how benefitial it would be to expand my cirlce of friends just in case things did not work out with the one group I invested so much time into. I would lastly stress the fact that my grades were the most important thingI should focus on and everything else would come eventually.

Tomisha

The two most crucial pieces of advice that I would give myself as a high school senior are to continuously apply for scholarships and to stay true to myself. Students take scholarships for granted; someone is basically giving a total stranger free money to attain a higher education and achieve the goals that he/she has set for him/herself. Take advantage of the various scholarships that are out there because millions of scholarships aren't granted each year due to negligence. The more scholarships one can receive, the less s/he will have to pay out of pocket once college is over. Always, always, ALWAYS stay true to yourself. People are more accepting of a genuine person instead of a person who is "phony". One of my favorite quotes of all time is, "It is better to die an original than to be remembered as a copycat." Truer words have never been spoken.

The social lie and independence at Howard are great. You are given the opportunity to truly be an adult and learn real-life skills, such as resilience/determination, that will accomodate you beyond college in "the real world".

I always brag about Howard's Homecoming...everybody knows about it!! It has been mentioned in various songs/by various artists over the past few decades, i.e. Notorious B.I.G and Ludacris.

D'Juan

It is a prestigous University, known for producing successful indaviduals

It is a prestigous University, known for producing successful indaviduals

In my opinion, I have had numlerous encounters with the faculty at the University. I feel that the faculty are only there to accept a paycheck and not to meet the student's needs.

One of the biggest desires that people live with is they could turn back the hands of time, what they would do. One major action that I would have changed if I were given this opportunity would be for me to have attended college right after graduating high school. Although my parents tried to influence me to attend college, I was not motivated at the time to continue persuing an education. It was in my best interist to enter the workfield because at the time, I thought that I could be successful in doing so. It took me a year to realized that in order for me to gain the level of success that I wanted for myself, it would be in my best interist for me to further my education. However, two years into my batcheleors degree, I regret not starting college earlier. I feel that I would have been further established if I had done so; in result, I am older than several people within my class. When I speak to kids younger than myself, I advise them of the importance of persuing an education so that they can avoid the mistakes that I once made.

Shakeema

Howard University is best known for it's social activism in the 60's. It is also known for the many famous entertainers that are alumni and give back to the school, financially.

I was walking to class one day, playing with a quarter when I saw this homeless man walking down the hill with his shopping cart full of possessions. I waved and said, ?Hi? to him and kept walking a little bit more. I realized that I had a quarter in my hand that I was probably going to waste and so I turned around and called him to give it to him. I thought he might laugh at the fact that I made him stop in the cold to give him a quarter but he smiled and said, ?You go here?? He meant Howard. ?Yes,? I told him. ?Tell me something, young lady. Do you know how many minutes are in a day?? ?No, sir. Never thought about it.? ?Well, I don?t know either, when I got to the library, I?ll find out. But anyway, I want you to think about that during the day. Think about the time that you have.?

I brag about my ability to navigate the "red tape" treatment that many students on financial aid recieve when they attend Howard. I really do love Washington, DC, however. The residents that live near our campus are beautiful people. I met this homeless man who told me to appreciate my time. He really changed my life and shed light on the fact that I was taking advantage of my education.

Ronesha

A student who is not willing to step outside of his or her comfort zone should not attend Howard University. Students who are not confident or career-ready should not attend this school. Also, if you are uncomfortable with being surrounded by social organizations, Howard is not the school for you. However, if you?re looking to network or jumpstart your career, this school is a great stepping stone.

The worst thing about Howard is that the social organizations sometimes overtake the school. A large majority of the students are looking to join fraternities and sororities, and they allow that to control their personalities and what activities they choose to participate in on campus. For example, organizations that do not have Greek affiliations have a harder time finding active members because being involved in the organization will not better that member?s chance of being accepted into a fraternity or sorority.

Transitioning to college is not as hard as a lot of people make it seem. The difficulty in transitioning is being able to stay true to yourself, when everyone around you is trying to fit in. If I could give advice to myself as a high school senior, I would tell myself to take in the opportunity to make new friends and don?t be disappointed by the relationships I may lose with friends from home. Another thing I would say is to remember that there is not a lack of ability, but a lack of confidence. In other words, I can accomplish anything, but I have to be confident in my own ability to do it. It is so important to be confident in your abilities on a college campus, because if you are not, you will be left behind ? losing internships, possible leadership positions and networking opportunities. I would also say HAVE FUN. While college is a time to broaden your horizons and gain work experience, there will never be another four or five years like it. Take it every opportunity you have to learn, but also have fun because soon, you will be an adult.

Krystal

I love Howard. The enviroment is amazing, I love the professors and the acadmic advising. =)

FINDING THE RIGHT COLLEGE FOR STUDENTS ISNT ABOUT WHAT YOUR PARENTS WANT FOR YOU. IT HAS TO BE A DECISION MADE BY THE STUDENT AND THE PARENTS SHOULD JUST BE BY THEIR CHILD SIDE. ALSO PICK YOUR SCOOL BASED ON ITS PRESIGOUS NAME, AMOUNT OF UNDERGRAD STUDENTS WHO ACTAULLY GRADUATE ON TIME, THE AREA OF THE AND OF COURSE THE SIZE. PICKING THE RIGHT SCHOOL FOR ISN'T A EASY PROJECT BUT ONCE ITS DONE SO MUCH PRESSURE HAS BEEN RELEASED ONCE YOU KNOW YOU'VE DONE EVERYTHING POSSIBLE TO PICK THE PERFECT SCHOOL TO FIT YOUR PERSONALITY AND YOUR GOALS.

The administration building can be unorganized at times.

Taqiyyah

Anyone that is presses to work and achieve because that is all that you have to do while attending this college.

Make sure that they are able to fit in with the majority because being apart of the minority would sometimes create isssues and make it very difficult for them to enjoy college. Also make sure they live on campus their first year!

The most frustrating thing about my school is the lack of help that comes from the administration building. They only send you around in circles and never tell you the right things. The most help you would get is from the students around your campus they know more than the administration.

Howard University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.