Washington, DC
Howard University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Howard University

Visit the college because that could really help you in your decision. If you can, go on a tour and sit in on some classes because, especially if you will be staying on campus, you want to be comfortable with the surroundings you will be in because that is where you will be spending the next ten months of your colligate career. You want to enjoy where you are staying and know that the college that you attend is a home away from home.

The best thing about my school is it is a big networking place. There are many people who come by Howard in order to recuit and offer a internships and things that would be important in starting a career.

The kind of person that should attend this school is someone who is ambitious and determined to make something of themselves. We have a lot of professors who are a great inspiration and who we can learn a lot from for those who are willing to be open-minded.

Domonique

In order to find the right college, the student must find out what type of environment he or she would like to immerse themselves into. Whether it be a university contains a tremendous amount of students with different political views, or an institution in which the arts are prevalent amongst the student body. For myself Howard University in Washington D.C. was the best choice. The rich history of the city is what first attracted to travel outside of my home state to further my education. The divergent cultures that emerged themselves from the predominant ethnicity within the university is what made me grow to love my school, and the knowledge presented from this type of environment. To make the most of the experience it is wise to enroll in a school that exposes a person to something that goes against the norm of the city from which one is indigenous. It is then that the exposure to different cultural backgrounds and diverse ways of life assist in cultivating the person that one is destined to be.

I tell them about the benefits of being at a school where you see your own ethnic group succeeding.

Tiffany

Trust your child. As usual, push them to where they are going to be successful. But, also, listen to them. Let them visit places and find the right fit for them. Many schools look great on paper, but aren't the perfect fit for every person. Allow your son or daughter the room to decide what they want to do. But guide them toward schools that line up with their interests, their intended course of study. Also, be mindful of the location of the college, and its size. These have to be agreeable with your students in order for them to be successful. Ultimately, you need to be there to support them in this decision making process.

The worst thing about Howard is that it drives you to want to be involved in something. Because of this, it is easy to put too much onto your plate. You need to be able to develop really good time management skills in order to really be successful here. Otherwise, it will be all to easy to lose yourself in all of your extra-curriculars.

People who don't have any sense of drive or ambition should not attend here. Everybody here has to work hard to be successful whether it is academically, career-wise, or to be in a social organization. If you aren't prepared to work, then Howard is not the school for you.

Kiara

Our school is best known for producing successful business people. Our business school is nationally ranked with top companies as corporate sponsors. The business program is very intense and the students there receive wonderful oppurtunities. Some students on campus often refer to the business school as a cult because the students wear suits every Tuesday and Thursday and many wear them more often than that. Anytime a business student introduces themselves they all plug their information into a short outline given to them at orientation. I personally feel that these practices prepare them for the real world and insure success.

The worst thing about my school is the realtionship between the students and the faculty. When it comes to financial aid, forms get lost all the time and you may not realize it until they send you a letter with a purge date stamped on it. On this campus it is not uncommon to hear horror stories of the Administration Building. This building house the financial aid office and academic recording. Transcripts are misplaced, charges are inaccurate, and the staff is rude. It is unfortunate that this happens to students as it would be better to be courteous.

I would advise them to start early! If at all possible meet some students who currently attend the school of intrest or have within the past five years. Talk with them and listen to their raves and rants. It is also a great idea to visit the campus and factor in costs and save up just in case financial aid and scholarships don't cover the bill. Also look at what jobs alumni of the school have and find out if the school helped out at all. Once a school is chosen and the semester starts, apply yourself from the beginning. Don't slack off and make it to every party, it will only hurt you in the long run. I have told myself to treat my classes and my school work like the biggest event on campus. Make sure you're there and leave a great impression. If everyone put as much effort into their grades as they do in preparing for a ball or party a 4.0 would come almost naturally.

Anastasia

Howard University is a school of excellence.

Howard University is a school of excellence.

Make sure you visit the college you plan to attend before making your final decision. Once you have chosen your college and enrolled, GET INVOLVED, MAKE LOTS OF FRIENDS, DON'T STRESS TOO MUCH!!

The worst thing about my school is the poor facilities and the administration. The faclities are old and outdated. The administrators can be rude and misplace papers frequently.

Daniella

My classmates are random and unique individuals that are driven towards their chosen careers.

My advice would be to visit all of your choice schools before sending in the application because you may find out that you don't really like the campus. That saves alot of money. Also get involved in whatever activities you like to do and choose the major that is best for you and that you can see yourself doing for the rest of your life.

I tell them that it is a great cultural experience with a lot of opportunities. It is a great enviroment to see ethnic people thrive and grow.

Doretta

It is one of the best dressed campuses in America. It is comprised of all black students.

Visit the college during the school year so that you get a chance to see it in full swing.

The reputation of this institution is known across the nation.

Dinah

My school is an excellent institution that isnt perfect in every aspect, but its perfect for me.

My classmates are diverse in every sense of the word.

First pick many institutions that you might be interested in. Then narrow down that list with things that you prefer (city/urban, big/small, athletics, research, finanical aid). After you made this list, visit the campus and check what you liked and disliked. This will help form a smaller list. Then apply to your schools.

Stephen

This university is one of the premiere in the world and the best go there. That said, the best is NOT simply academic. You have to be a well rounded person to attend Howard and succeed. The student culture is multifaceted.

I truly appreciated my college experience, but I wish I was prepared financially. I took out over 90k in student loans to cover this elite school but soon after graduation I found that I couldn't find a job that would pay me nearly enough of what it costs to stay current. My student loan bills are over 1000 per month! I wish I'd known that if I didn't get a scholarship initially that if I worked hard I could earn a full ride in subsequent years.

Dear Parents: I know that you are considering sending your students off to college and are consulting some of the best and brightest resources out there; in your opinion. However, please consider strongly the words that I now pen. I left suburban California for a prestigious school on the east coast. I could have gone to school in one of CA's many state universities but I wanted to go to the best school possible. What I didn't know (neither did my parents) was that as soon as I set foot on campus, I'd begin piling on a mountain of debt. I assumed that everyone took out student loans and that the loans were as easy to pay back as they were to get. I was wrong. I am in the hole. School is necessary but it is also expensive. IF you DON'T have the means, consider an alternative. Your son or daughter's transition into adulthood will be less burdensome. If they are adamant about going off to a school you can't afford, assure your kid has the grades and dicipline to find an alternative to outrageous loans. They WILL thank you in four years.

Howard University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.