Washington, DC
Howard University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Howard University

Jeremiah

Driven to achieve their own personal goals with little consideration of others.

Driven to achieve their own personal goals with little consideration of others.

The heritage and history is very rich and inspiring.

Find the truth out about any college you are considering. Don?t just accept the white-washed version the institution presents you on their website or during a campus visit. Talk to current students and alumni, and make sure the school provides the services and environment you desire. Once you get to school throw yourself into campus life. Study hard, get involved and never miss an opportunity to maximize your college experience. The worst feeling at the end of college is wondering what could have been.

Shatarra

Please make an informed decision! Before sepping onto the campus know what you want to do with your life. Changing your major mutiple times is costly! Preliminarily, do the best you can in high school to ensure yourself a scholarship. Parents: Start a college savings account for your children when they are young. Don't leave them out to dry, when it's time for them to attend college. Do not depend on the government to completely pay for their education.

THE ADMINISTRATION AND HOUSING IS THE WORST ENTITY OF MY UNIVERSITY. A LOT OF THE STAFF IS RUDE, UNINFORMED AND DON'T REALLY CARE ABOUT OUR ISSUES. IT'S REALLY HARD TO GET ON-CAMPUS HOUSING. WE DON'T HAVE ENOUGH HOUSING TO PROVIDE A PLACE TO LIVE FOR HALF OUR CAMPUS.

I'M FRUSTRATED BECAUSE MY ENTRIRE YEAR IS PAID FOR, BUT I HAVE A BACK BALANCE FROM FALL 07. I AM PAYING FOR COLLEGE ALONE AND DID NOT GET ENOUGH FINANCIAL AID LAST YEAR. I NEED A PLAN TO BE ABLE TO PAY MY BALANCE OFF AND STILL BE ABLE TO BE ENROLLED IN SCHOOL.

Shamona

The things I consider best about my school are the opportunities available for students to network with each other and people who are in the work field that have experience with what students are interested in. Also, I Iike that at Howard, no one is like the next person. Everyone dresses in their own unique style and carries themselves differently. Another thing I like about Howard is that schools within the university try to provide students with opportunities for internships and hands on experience within their major. Adapting to the Howard lifestyle is also easy to do.

My advice to parents and/or students about finding the right college and making the most of the college experience is to not settle. Money is a huge factor when considering colleges, but there is money out there available to help people pursue their goals. Find a school you know you will enjoy going to everyday. Visit schools and speak with the students and ask questions about their experiences and get their recommendations. Try going to a school event to see how campus life is for other students who are already there. Finding a college that is suitable for you doesn't have to be difficult. You just have to make use of the resources available to you to fing the best college for you.

When I brag about my school, I always tell my friends about Howard being "the real HU" because we have a rival with Hampton university because they claim to be "the real HU", but they were called Hampton Institute before they changed it to a university. Meanwhile, Howard was always called Howard University. I also brag about Howard being the "black Harvard" and about our homecoming every year. Our homecoming is the biggest event that happens throughout the school year, and people from all states come just to get a taste of the the Howard experience.

Sheilla

Look for scholarships furing your sophomore years of high school. I didn't know anything, and had to pay my way through. Get high gpa's so that you can immediatey get scholarships when you get in college. Participate in school activities,,and please leave on campus. Focus on school and forget about boys. If you think about boys, you will fail. Trust me, i went through it. Most of all, make the best out of your college experience..SCHOLARSHIPS...SCHOLASHIPS,,,,APPLY FOR ALL OF THEM..

Thats it has alot of black people, and even though we have afew white people, they are always welcomed, They don't feel out of place

The administartion building needs to get more organized when it comes to keeping student files. They don't know what the hell they are doing sometimes

Do not attend any college because someone else wants you to! You will be miserable, which will hold you back from reaching and surpassing your limits. Invest in your emotional being as well as you education. These four college years will give you a chance to explore you, and what you like, love and what you are truly passionate about. Relax and please enjoy these grooming years, you will be surprised how much you learn in and outside the classroom. Congratulations in advance!!

They will take your scholarship away, so don't get too carried away with being involved in "campus life".

A close-minded, unoriginal individual

Christine

Some people still call it "the Black Harvard," but frankly, I think its an insult to our race to say that. Now that we can get in anywhere, it no longer attracts the best students and faculty. Fewer top students are coming and they're having a hard time holding on to new faculty (most of the best are near retirement age). The administration is run by crooks, thus driving away the good students and faculty. In 10 or 15 years, it won't be much better than the average community college. Go elsewhere if you can.

The administration and facilities are a joke. Most of the teachers are great and very passionate about teaching, though they're not necessarily the best-connected in their fields. I ended up going here for financial reasons and I can see why it's half the price of most private universities. (Beggars can't be choosers, I guess.) If you're smart, you'll seek internship opportunities outside the university. There are a lot of opportunities in the DC area-- just don't expect Howard U. to help you connect with any of them.

Don't make decisions based on the financial aid package alone. Don't assume that because a school has a high price tag that you won't get a good financial aid package- often the most expensive ones are the ones that have the resources to give the most scholarships, etc. In the end, go with the school that fits the student's goals and personality best. If they want a small school but they get a full-ride to a Big 10 university where they're just a number, it probably won't work out, and you'll end up wasting time, money and effort. Someone who really wanted to go there could have made better use of that scholarship! You may not be able to afford your dream school, but there's usually good consolation school. Also, students, take it all with a grain of salt. Find people who accept you for you, keep in mind you're there to learn first and party second, and don't forget to chase your dreams.

Tammie

I think that Howard is a wonderful University that is centered on progression and success while alowing students to get a glimpse of the capitol city and the world we live in, while introducing and indulging in the various parts of the different African American diasphoras, with a mission that is focused on developing the students into leaders for the future and in our local and global community .

Before I came to this school, I wish that I would have known more about the African American diasphora as a whole. I am learning so much that I dont know about, simply because I come from a place that is focused more on diversity, rather than getting to know the person that I look at in the mirror everyday. It just appauls me to know so little about my ethnicity, however, I am glad that I have the opportunity to be educated on a level that contains no bias at all. In the classroom we are all one.

The first form of advice that I want to give parents and students alone, is to be prepared. It is very important to do things ahead of time so that spare of the moment decisions are avoided. To the parents, I would suggest that they have a financial plan. Make sure that the school that is chosen is affordable for them. Furthermore, make your child your priority. It is important for students to have a strong foundation to stand on because this is the transitional period into adulthood. To students, I would encourage them to decide what it is that they would like to do in their profession. They should do a little research before college, so that they can make a plan, pick a major and minor, and get out of undergraduate as soon as possible. Additionally, chose a college that is not only affordable, but best for their major, for that will take them further in their carrer. Finally, I would like to say, try your very best and enjoy your experience. College should be one of the best experiences of their lives, however they must realize the importance of success. Stay positive, hardworking, and never give up!

Chantel

Howard University is a great school for our future leaders to grow. I've never been to another campus where the students have such a thirst for knowledge that they will create their own student-led class (Howard's Educational Revolution aka H.E.R.). I love my school, the student body, and the many extra-curricular activities and opportunities it offers.

Anyone who wants to learn about themselves and blaze their own trail through life in the process.

When finding the right college, go on college tours, but don't just follow the tour guide. Stop some of the students walking around campus and ask them how they feel. Often their opinions will help you decide whether to attend that school or not. As for making the most of your college experience, live on campus freshman year. Mix and mingle with people you normally wouldn't speak to and get involved on campus. I guarantee you'll make friends that'll last you a lifetime.

Dannah

The momentous event will be highlighted by the Annual Family Reunion Yard fest, which is a two-day celebration where Howard students, alumni, friends, and celebrity guests gather on the main quadrangle to network and celebrate in the Howard tradition. Known to for bringing out the entertainment and music industry?s A-list celebrities( Ophra, Obama ex.), Howard alumni Sean ?Diddy? Combs is primed and scheduled to host several parties during the course of the celebrated weekend.

My advice choosing a college is first look at the degrees the college has to offer- major, minors(quality/reputation/ranking). Faculty contact, classes taught by full-time doctorally qualified faculty. Then possibly find out how the community is, whether its urban, country , how far the school is away from home. Also safety around campus- off campus. Private or Public?Accreditation? Class sizes? Next, down to the important factor, financial assistance packages ; cost of tuition including meal plan and room and board. Housing options (dorms, apartments, living at home) . A campus tour before making the final decision, will be able to give you the reality experience of the: campus resources ,student body ,social life ,Greek organizations, sports, school spirit, religion ect.

With such a diverse student body, it comes as little surprise that life thrives on the Howard University Campus. If you do not like particular interest ? culture, religion, sports, art, music, theater, politics ? you will be assured of linking up with others who share it; then you do not belong at Howard.

Howard University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.