Washington, DC
Howard University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Howard University

Reese

The best thing about Howard is the student body. Howard has a very diverse student body. Washington, DC has a lot to do with that, seeing as though it to has a very diverse population. You'll meet students from a wide variety of countries, cultures, upbringings, and beliefs. Howard is also known for its "recreational" activities. Howard's homecoming is legendary and largely attended by more than just locals and alumnae. Celebrities often make it a point to be present at the homecoming events. However Howard has its issues. One of my major issues with Howard is their inconsistency when it comes to procedure and policy. It is common for you to receive several contradicting suggestions or comments with the same department. Many of the administrative offices will send you on a treasure hunt to complete simple tasks like receiving your financial aid refund, paying your Howard balance, applying for emergency loans, etc. It can be quite annoying and discouraging. Howard is also known for losing documents after a crucial deadline has passed, forcing you to have to resubmit your information "late." Because of these issues, I have learned to make copies of everything I give Howard; I take down the names of every individual I speak to and the date I spoke to that person as well; I am also forced to harass them with phone calls to assure that any documents requested of me have been received, processed, and logged into my personal account. Howard teaches how to be cautious and meticulous. These are amongst the most complaints I hear on a daily basis at Howard. Another issue the students have is the subpar conditions a lot of our facilities are in. We are currently renovating several buildings but it makes no sense for the majority of the main campus to have so many physical problems. Some buildings lack functioning heaters and air conditioners; some don't have enough desks. The dorms also could use a lot of remodeling. Some dorms are older than others and lack amenities like air conditioning; even some of the newer dorms are infested with roaches and sometimes mice, one of our dorms have extremely sensitive sprinklers which causes problems, and our freshman dorms have smoke detectors with the nose of Superman and are guaranteed to go off and force us all outside at no specific time at least once every two weeks. The food is overprocessed and served on sometimes dirty dishes that I am forced to sift through for the least dirty of them all to then rinse under the hot water spout supposed to be used for tea. I could go on and on about my issues with Howard's campus, dormitories, and lack of fresh foods. With all that said however, Howard offers you an experience second to none. I used to consider my feelings about Howard similar to those of a woman unable to leave an abusive relationship; he hits me but I love him and I know he loves me. I was wrong. My relationship with Howard has been most similar to that of a family. There is this unconditional love between me and Howard. We will always fight and we will constantly fail to see eye to eye. But I would never trade my family for anything in the world. Howard is one of a kind. Not only will you have the time of your life enjoying the new friends you make from places you've never been or even heard of; you will also be bombarded with opportunities to advance in any field you may be interested; and most importantly you will become a part of as expanding network of the best and brightest of America. Howard is not for the weak, or the unsure, it is for the determined and motivated who will contribute to its rich legacy. The Real HU!! Bison for life. Ms. Wright

No, except the being number one thing, thats true. :)

The females are all snotty and uppity. We have a superiority complex. We're the number one HBCU in the country.

Bevan

The best thing about Howard is its students. The mix of black people from every socioeconomic level, religion, culture and background is unlike anything I ever could have gotten from a majority school. My experiences with the student body and extracurriculars are what make me inevitably say that I like Howard when my thoughts on the way the school is run make me hesitate at first. I went to predominantly white schools all my life, so none of my friends had heard of Howard (an HBCU) when I announced I was going there during my senior year of high school. However, the school has a great legacy and name recognition in the professional world, which certainly doesn't hurt. The main cmapus is one of the smallest I've ever seen, and I like that with only about 10,000 undergrads, there probably six (or fewer) degrees of separation between everyone. I love that I'm in D.C. and that there are so many interesting things about it, but I do sometimes feel like I missed out by not living in a typical "college town." We certainly have a lot of school pride, as evidenced by our alumni. However, there's not much hype around athletics because the our teams for typically popular sports (basketball, football, etc.) aren't that great. But our homecoming is always a huge event, attracting celebrities, alumni and even people who never went here from across the country.

I get the impression that most Howard students are middle class to upper middle class. The fact that it's an HBCU changes the whole racial dynamic, but there are cultural tensions between American students and international students (who are primarily from the Caribbean and Africa)at times. I think there's a niche for everyone here, or at least room to create one. Howard students generally consider themselves politically active and aware, but some consider us complacent (see a Washington Post piece by Courtland Milloy regarding "soul food Thursday" and a visit by Laura Bush).

The fashion stereotype is certainly true, but I feel that it sometimes overshadows the school's legitimate qualities. You will, however, see girls from the two freshman dorms trekking up the hill in heels. Some people dress liek they're going to the club to go to class. I believe the stereotype about us being elitist results from misunderstandings between students and people from Washington. While students of every socioeconomic level attend Howard, I believe most of us are from the suburbs and thus have to adjust to being in an urban environment. Resentment builds when residents assume we all have attitudes and we, in turn, assume they are all crazy or inferior. One detail: people from Washington don't appreciate being called "locals," and students typically use this as a derogatory term.

Besides some of the classes freshmen are required to take (like math) and phys ed courses like swimming, the classes are generally small. This semester, there are four people in my smallest class and about 15 in my largest. I'm an English major and a print journalism minor, so I'm in the College of Arts and Sciences but also take classes in the School of Communication. I haven't really felt all that enlightened by my English courses or figured out how all these classes are supposed to mesh together to give me some kind of cohesive notion of what I'm getting a degree in. I will say that I have been exposed to a lot of literature I probably never would have found on my own, especially by black writers. However, our journalism program is excellent and I feel like I'm learning a lot in my minor. Our professors are actual journalists, and it's nice to learn from people who actually do what they teach.

Most of the Divine Nine (the preeminent black fraternities and sororities) were founded at Howard, so Greeks have an imposing presence on campus. A lot of people strategically join certain organizations to get in the good graces of certain Greeks. There's a healthy party scene, with at least a few house parties within walking distance each weekend. Fliers for club parties are a familiar sight under dorm doors. For people who don't like to party, there are plenty of on-campus events and arts & culture things to find in D.C. There are all kinds of numbers floating around about the male-to-female ratio, but it's understood that women far outnumber men, and many say this has a negative effect on the dating prospects for women.

Howard is known to be big on fashion. Many people change the way they dress once they get here, and the Yard (the main open area on campus) is said to be a fashion show when it's hot out. Howard students are also generally considered "stuck up" and elitist by people (especially blacks) from the surrounding community.

Sasha

Yes, the stereotypes are for the most part accurate... 100% accurate since it hasnt been proven otherwise. It seems in our society that all that is important is money, the amount of material possesions a man has and how many females that he can bed. It's not just my opinion that the male population sucks... there's a slogan that holds the venom of our emotions " Niggas ain't shit but hoes and tricks"... so sad but true. After dating this different list of guys on our campus and all but a select two have proven to be genuinely about a females friendship, patience is barely visible.... keeping hope alive is as chilling as a death sentence, lol Not really but a lot f females WILL NOT deal with a guy from Howard... I agree, they are too grimy and there are too many girls at Howard.

Speaking of relationships(from a female point of view), which I find to be the very center of conversations these days, Howard is the pinnacle of relationship drama. I think it is imperitive to speak openly about the disdain felt by my counterparts regarding the male population on campus. I have heard soooooo many times, "I'm not messing with NOBODY else but you" or "I'm real... I would never purposely hurt you" and then six months later after you have believed the hype... fed into this Tall Tale fanasy of how it is just you and this boy -that believes himself to be a man,you find you have developed feelings...now all that you hear is "I don't have time for you... I don't do relationships...I don't want a girlfriend. Shit has now become real and this person - whom you have to pray for God's guidance to remember that is also a human being-then bursts the fantasy balloon and you find out that not only has he been with you, but he is with Kelly and Robin and Mike and you are left feeling - the feeling is so very unexplainable that all you think of is Julius Ceasar and the treacherous betrayl of Brutus.

Carson

The best thing about Howard is its legacy. And even though many people say that it's true because after you graduate with a degree from Howard u would need to find a job, a job will find you -granted that you had good grades and all that. One thing that I would change about Howard the administration. Many things about it is rly bad and hopefully with an incoming new president, things will get better. The size is just right. The way people react when I tell them I go to Howard depends on where that person comes from. Usually, if they're from the area they are very familiar with Howard and therefore arent very impressed, but if I tell someone is from farther away or is just ignorant to all of Howard secrets, they are very excited. On campus, I spend most of my time in my room. There is definately no "college town" around Howard. But a few businesses that share the same street with our university give discounts to us, or just simply have a Howard flag or something. Howard admin sucks. Well there was a protest to shut down the engineering builing. DEFINATELY!!! Howard's school pride is infectious. One thing that's unsual is the extreamly poor condition of some of the buildings. The biology building for examaple has electric wires and all sorts of dangerous things hanging from the ceiling and class still goes on in there. I think thats very unusual for a college campus. I mean we pay tuition to fix these sort of things. Also, Howard is kind of like a cult. The jazz fest. It was amazing. The adminsitration, the food sucks, the "locals"

Yes, if you get to know them first. I dont have any favorite clasees but my least favorite was Bio 101. I hated it. The building was in very poor condition, no air conditioning it was always hot or cold, and half of all the chiars were broken. It made it very hard to learn. Students dont study very often. Class participation is common among zealous students. Yes, they do. In fact there was this big stir in Lock Hall when a few got to gether and were talking about religion...the group grew large as passers by joined in. Students are competitive and for no reason it seems. Being a freshman, there's no reason to be competitive because if we both get A's nothing happends. If I fail and you dont, still, nothing happends.

Sororities and Faternities are the most elite and sacred groups on campus. It depends on when dorm on stays in. In some dorms all the rooms are on the hall so it's kind of like a forced open door policy but in some dorms there are suites so, it's more isolated. I met my closest friends in high school. If i'm awake at 2am I'm probably on facebook or studying, or watching a movie. Homecoming is a big thing that happends each year, and Res Fest where each dorm compete's in several games against other dorms. We just had a guest speaker, Angela Davis. Bill Cosby, Barack Obama, and many others also came this year. D.C. has a life of it's own, there are many clubs one could attend, Chinatown, Goeorgetown, and Adams Morgan is close by. One can always go to a restaurantm a jazz show, a museum, a play or something. There is a lot to do in this city.

That we are bougie. No one really studies much. It's a big party school. There's always something going on each and every blessed day.

Dominique

a) The best thing about Howard is the experience. Each person that sets foot on campus will have one, both good and bad. From the friends one can acquire to the social experience to the realization that you attend a university full of history, it is all quite inspiring and even heartwarming(not to be cheesy). b)If I could change anything, I would enhance the level of difficulty of the coursework where it is needed. c) For me, the campus is just right. 11,000 students(6,500 of which are undergrad). I couldn't see myself at a smaller school or a larger school. d)Well, it depends on who you tell. If you tell fellow African Americans that you attend HU, some are impressed. If you tell some corporate figures, they may be impressed, that depends on their company's experience. If you tell an everyday Caucasian, they may 1) look at you in amazement as they initially think you say Harvard or 2) look at you in a dumbfound way as they have NO CLUE what or where HU is. e) As a business student, most of my time was spent in the School of Business or in my dorm, by preference and workload. For the other students, "The Yard" IS the chill spot. f)You could say "college town" because once you hit Howard territory, you KNOW you're on campus and the radio stations are abreast of Howard events etc. Other "competitors" could be considered Georgetown, American, etc...g)THE ADMINISTRATION SUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I HATE IT!!!!! I'm sure my peers can confirm this sentiment from 1989 to the present. (In 1989, the students protested, as they stood in front of the Administration building in large numbers until their needs were met. Historical moment and unfortunately, still needed to this day. (SAD FACE) h)Biggest recent controversy is difficult. Not to say we had plenty, but that question again is subject to one's interpretation. We receiving a new University President for the 2009 year and their selection is pivotal, but aside from that, I really couldn't tell you. i)I would say there IS a lot of school pride, but not athletically which is where it would mostly show. We don't have the best sports teams. Some are good, but they are few in numbers. j)I don't believe there is anything unusual about Howard besides the fact that it is a great institution(again, not unusual). Period. j)I'll never forget the relationships I established with my dorm floor(yes, the whole floor) freshman year. [NOTE TO FRESHMAN GIRLS: For the full dorm experience, you MUST, I repeat, YOU MUST stay in "The QUAD". It will do you an injustice if you don't]. We had extra dorm and floor spirit. During a dorm ceremony, we walked outside with a chant and a hand signal(NO GANG STUFF) which made the other girls follow suit. We were remembered for all we did that year i.e. getting in trouble from time to time as a floor(it was soooo much fun) having our own fashion show on the floor, creating our own runway with the drawers under our beds, dressing up the girls, and opening it to all other students and doing our chant at the Homecoming game that year. We were extra proud and truly enjoyed ourselves.(One of the greatest experiences of my life) k) the most frequent student complaints come from the Administration Building, as unqualified, non-professional employees treat the students horribly in our time of need.

a) My experiences have been great as I associate with many of them on campus. The diversity on a black campus is just as fruitful as on a mixed campus. The variety within our own race is abundant; we tend to lose sight of that. b) No student would feel out of place at Howard. Everyone finds the "group" that makes them feel at home. c) Students wear whatever they feel like. It's college, what'd you expect? d) Yes. e) First table is full of jocks. Second table is full of "pretty girls". Third table is full of the fashionably inclined. Fourth table is full of a mix of everyday people. f) There is no general group from a certain spot. However, as a Chicago native, there are A WHOLE BUNCH OF US who attend Howard.(Smiley Face) g) The financial background is mixed, but there are numerous spoiled brats whose parents pay for everything and you can see it in their value system, if they have one. The average student comes from a very average household, most of which have to work to make ends meet. But the mix is just that, a fairly distributed one. h) Not enough students are politically aware and we certainly aren't as active as we should be. i) I won't label the student body as the diversity in opinion and political perspective is so huge. j) Business students do, of course. Possibly other students too, but I'm not sure.

As I mentioned, I left the University for personal reasons and would not deter anyone from going who is interested. All I would like an interested student to do first, is to heavily explore the schools they are interested in. Visit the campuses if possible, take virtual tours, ask others, call, do what is necessary to find out as much as you can, because they will be important years in your life. I transferred and left behind a lot of memories; Disappointed in some respects and not so much in others. I have given an accurate perspective as a significantly involved and extremely proud former student of the University. If you would like to know anything else, please feel free to contact me, granted my email address is posted. P.S. I changed my major, because the University I transferred to does not offer Insurance as a major. Best Wishes!

One of the stereotypes about Howard is that it is a party school. True. There is a party often(One or two a week via club and several within the dorm rooms) where clubs solicit students in numerous ways on and off campus, but of course it is the students' decision as to whether or not they would attend. The female to male ration is high, something like 4-1(Not exact, but roughly), which make the guys a hot commodity, but not really because a lot of them are supposedly gay. That stereotype is based off of style and demeanor which can be misconstrued by most people inside and outside the Howard community. Both the men and women of Howard dress well according to East coast style; another stereotype of the University. It can be true, but again, that's subject to one's interpretation of "style". Of course, not EVERY person can dress, but for the most part, you'll see some pretty interesting and diverse sites while sitting on "The Yard" during the summer or winter seasons. Homecoming can be poppin, but recently it's been hit or miss. May get a noteworthy celebrity at an event or two, but for the most part, the students are who make the homecoming what it is. Our school spirit is reflected MOST during that week in October. Academically speaking...ummm...the prestige of Howard academia now remain in the Grad schools. I adore the School of Business and would like to have had other classes in other schools on campus, but the general consensus from some of the students I have talked to is that the curriculum is not challenging enough University wide. I was challenged more at Whitney Young Magnet High School in Chicago prior to attending Howard University, which ultimately became a problem for me. It doesn't take much to make the grade, which shouldn't be the case. One should work hard to get good grades, as opposed to doing the bare minimum and passing. Currently, the University is in the process of fixing this issue, but due to its resonance throughout the campus, it WILL take some time. You have great professors and you have not so great professors. The problem is that the ration of one to the other is not favorable to the students or the legacy of the university. Rankings of HBCUs show that Spellman is #1 now and Howard is #2.

a) It depends. If you are a good student, the professor will know your name. If you're a butt kisser, they'll know your name then too. If you do nothing, well hey, they may still know your name. Lol! b)my favorite class was Business Orientation. It provided all the basics I needed for my career pursuit. c) That's the problem, STUDENTS DON'T STUDY. A handful may, but typically, there is not a need to. Maybe some classes, but definitely not most. d) Class participation is common, especially in classes where professors are able to evoke the students' interest e) YES! When do they NOT have intellectual conversations?! No, but really, the students on HU's campus, discuss a number of topics, from politics to student advocacy, all of which sound so invigorating when listening in. Realistically speaking, some students don't talk about things like that, but for the most part they do. f) Students don't need to be competitive; Everyone has their own path. Compete in class, maybe, but not likely. g) The most unique class I took, again was Business anything my freshman year. The program that new entrants into the School of B must take is unique and there is no other of its kind in the nation. g) I was an Insurance Major with a concentration in Actuarial Science. It is a heavily analytical study with a business background. I associated best with the business portion and changed my major this year to Finance(at another University, but I'll explain that later). My department was Finance/International Business/Insurance, but possibly the most efficient as it dealt heavily with Investment Banks and has the most students. h) I didn't, other students may have. I spent a lot of time with different Directors of programs due to my affiliation with them. They may have taught some classes, but were not faculty, of course. i) Howard's standards are low. They should make the standards higher in order to recruit a more attentive and academically focused student body. j) Both. Again, the School of B is geared towards getting students a job by the end of their 4 years. Other schools may offer that too, but I don't know about the capacity to which they work towards that. On the other hand, students attend for the learning's sake as well.

a) The most popular groups or campus are Greek affiliated. Whether they are academically, service, or socially oriented, one is sure to be proud of an affiliation with either. b)I was involved with a much smaller group which was tailored towards insurance students, of which we had few. My experience does not give an accurate depiction of what it is like campus-wide. c)No. A student should NEVER leave his or her things open in their dorms. I did, once I was opened up to my floor, but that was only when I was on the floor during the time when I may not have been in my room. d) Athletic events are not as popular. e) Speakers on the other hand are as Barack Obama spoke at the 141st Convocation for the University for 2007. That was important for obvious reasons. Theater is in between as the students in the Fine Arts School often put on events. I am unsure as to the attendance of most of their events. f) I'm unsure, I dated, but do not think I can give an accurate recurrence of that situation either on behalf of the University. g) I met my closest friends by holding them from high school and carrying them to college with me. The newer come from our participation in similar activities. h)If I'm awake at 2am, I'm probably eating the pizza I ordered while hurriedly writing a 10 page paper due the following day next to some peers in the same situation, Lol! i) Lots, too many to point out...I'm sure there's something for everyone. j) People party d$^m near everyday. Students are always ready to have fun, k)Fraternities and Sororities are extremely important as 5 of the Divine 9 were founded at the Historical University. l) We'll discuss that shortly, as I no longer attend the University as of a month ago) m) Anything. It's DC and options are limitless. Find somewhere you want to be and just go!(the freedom of being in college) n) I did whatever I wanted off campus. To list things wouldn't begin to give an idea as they are so random. I just...did.

-It's a party school -It has a poppin Homecoming -It's the number one HBCU -It has a strong academic history -It's a top fashion school(based on student body) (I'm sure there are others, but this is what I can think of at the moment)

Marie

I can actually write a book about my life experiences at Howard University but frankly, I need to get paid for that serious writing. Are you going to pay me?

No they are not. But it really depends who you ask. If you are from a certain region of the US or from a different country around the world, your opinion of Howard will and may differ from mine or show minor similarities. For full answers of the stereotypes I have noticed on Howard's campus and about Howard students, look at my answers to the above question.

The social life is the best part of Howard's campus. Why? Because there is so many people who are fun, goal-oriented, unique, and just cool. I have met many interesting people at Howard University and plan to continue meeting such wonderful people. I have met people who promote different venues for different clubs around the DC area, met and connected with people who govern our student body, met people who just make me laugh and much more. As a busy person that I am, I have seen and heard it all. A new club just opened and the promoter wanted me to be there. No problem. A new event was posted in the Hilltop for Black History Month and needed volunteers. I spread the word around or asked how many people they needed and what time to be there. Sure there are many things to do at Howard. Are you a Poli Sci major, love politics, and are intrigued by the Presidential Election, then join College Dems or College Reps? These are some of the slogans and messages that get tossed around whether through WHBC Channel 51 (student radio show and broadcast), The Hilltop (daily and only black collegiate newspaper printed daily), through events posted on Facebook, or by word of mouth. I am currently part of a great organization on Howard: the National Council of Negro Women. It is a great organization and I am very proud of what we have done this year so far. We have staged programs geared to the Howard community: True Life: I'm a Freshman, I'm a Black Woman, I'm a Black Man; helping the community through tutoring neighboring DCPS Cardozo Senior High School; volunteering for the AIDS Walk and Helping the Homeless Walk and many other things. There is something for everyone here at Howard. Student government, community service, state clubs, National Honor Societies, Community service Sororities and Fraternities, Departmental clubs and organizations, Sororities and Fraternities, sports, intermural sports, health clubs, national memberships to service organizations, Non-profit groups, theater, dance, campus ambassador, tour guide, Homecoming Steering Committee volunteer or chair coordinator, and many more. There is really no excuse to not join and be a part of something great. The best part of Howard: Homecoming!!! Yes, that's right. Everyone wants to be about it, a part of it, and continuously talk about it when fall arrives. And even before the next year, so we can outdo last year! I love it faithfully. As Howard was mentioned as part of Ludacris song ft. Bobby Valentino, "Pimping All Over the World" with the most famous line "...not to miss the Homecomings at Howard", it gave Howard more of a edge. As known for having the most outrageous parties and vendors and for having big celebs such as Tyson Beckford, LL Cool J, Ludacris, Ice Cube, and many others, people just simply love our Homecoming. Is it because Howard University is the Mecca of HBCU's or is it because we do it bigger and better like no other campus around. Whatever it is, Howard has got it. Howard has produced many bright scholars, doctors, thespians, actors, writers, researchers, and many other professions. It is why the legacy of Howard continues and thrives since its birth in March 1867. As a person who loves to know what is going on around campus, I read the Hilltop daily and love the comic pieces. I enjoy being in a great organization (NCNW) and School of Business (no matter how many times I have to dress conservatively for an interview and deal with the gruesome/tiresome/stress-related courseload). But I do love it. There is always something to do every weekend and every week whether that be partying at the best club on the planet (LOVE Nightclub) or participating in the can food drive or Stop-the-Violence Benefit or being part of the Blood Drive or being on the yard (non-stop chilling) or whatever. Just get involved and be part of Howard's legacy!

There are several different stereotypes about Howard and Howard students: 1. People naturally assume Howard is a party school. To be honest the best time to party is in the fall during Howard University's Homecoming. It is most known for having many celebrities and faces among the Howard University crowd and a lot of people do come out to see what's going on at Homecoming. But after that, most student are actually studying, trying to get involved in political issues such as the Presidential Election 2008 or JENA 6 or volunteering to help the victims of Hurricane Katrina. 2. Certain people think that if you go to Howard, you are definitely from the DMV (DC, MD, or VA) area. This is not true. Even though I am a DC native and a resident of the state of Maryland, I know more people who are from the Caribbean, New York, California and Texas. Most people who are residents of DC who walk on Howard's campus assume that everyone at Howard is from the DC-area. 3. Some men believe that the women of Howard are stuck up, "bougie" or too fly to get with. As an intelligent woman, I have goals, dreams, and standards. No, I will not get with you if you are not my type (whatever I deem my type to be). But women are selective when it comes to men. If you are not an educated, opinionated man who sets goals and delivers, sure a woman may shut you guys down. But aren't you the same type of brothers that walk and step onto our campus to look at these "fly, fine ass women" that you and your boys drool over? Because we are a diverse campus with different types of styles from different places, you will meet many different types of women that represent every different thing under the sun. I would say we are beautiful, intelligent, and able women who are trying to lead successful lives as we plan for our futures. 4. The Brown Paper Bag test and Light-skinned versus Dark-skinned complexions. Surely race is a number one factor in this country. People love to dismiss this but I don't. Everytime I fill out a government document that requires me to answer what is my ethnicity/racial group, I get frustrated when I check, type or answer Black/African-American. Don't get me wrong, this has helped me when I wanted to get into mostly Caucasian schools such as the University of Maryland, University of Southern California, and Immaculata University (thank you affirmative action and equal opportunity). But I chose Howard. When I walk onto Howard's campus, there is an immediate segregation among our Black sisters and brothers. Maybe. But this stereotype still holds some truth. When determining what organizations you want to join, whether community service, social clubs, state clubs, fraternities/sororities, student government, etc., should there be an exclusion to our different shades of brown? No. In a most recent Hilltop, Howard's daily collegiate publication, two very great writers commented about being black among a diverse population and the 20th Anniversary of Spike Lee's film "School Daze". I read both and was astounded but what both writers commented about: The division of African-Americans on campus due to our socioeconomic statuses and colorism. It got me thinking that as a student body of diverse cultures and different shades of brown, that we need to come together and eliminate the segregation among us. 5. Howard University is like a fashion show; different styles among different groups of people trying to show off and shut down their peers with fashion-saavy attitudes. Well, not entirely true. Sure people do try to look their best as the walk across the yard to see their friends and gradually make it to their class by 12:10. Surely, I am one of them. I am not a deemed fashionista but I do sport my business attire (conservative or casual) faithfully around campus because I am a Business major. But this is what makes Howard special; there is lots of fashion and unique styles around Howard's campus that has everyone asking where'd you get this or how much did you pay for those boots? Surely, we are not rich but there are bargains for looking your

Howard University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.