Washington, DC
Howard University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Howard University

James

Howard University is one big challange, but it has very high rewards if you succeed academically and socially.

I wish I had know how much of the social environment is dictated by different organizations. Everything that happens on campus is some how influenced by an organization. Its all about who you know on the yard. It is very much a bubble.

College is a time to define who you are as a person. That being said it is vital that student look at colleges that are academically challenging. An easy education is not necessarily a good education. The student should look at school that has strong reputations in the area of study that the student is passionate about. If you are undecided on a major or concentration look for schools that have a sort of academic buffet so that you will be able to eventually choose. The social atmosphere has to be engaging and complimentary to the student?s education. I would encourage parents to help their children develop by asking the student questions about their interest instead of forcing their opinions about what to study on the student. College is going to be a period of reflection and growth for the student and they are going to need as much support as they can get. Parents should let their children make their own decision. During this period the parent?s role has shifted form being the guardian to the mentor. Their role is to guide their children and keep them focused.

Charles

In many cases, students look at a wide variety of factors when searching for the right college, and indeed they should. However, too often students quickly relegate themselves to schools that are within their "comfort zones." Now obviously there is something useful about being comfortable at school. However, that should not be the primary determining factor. Attending college is as much about academic learning as it is about social learning, and most importantly learning about oneself. People who spend their lives around similar people never have the opportunity to truly see how wonderful their differences and special abilities truly are, or for that matter to uncover the enormous joy of finding similarities within a seemingly alien person. Being comfortable is good, but learning to be yourself, especially in what might at first appear to be an inevitably uncomfortable environment, is great.

Anyone who isn't interested in being in a culture dominated by African-American interests and viewpoints.

Alex

I believe that the most frequent student complaints are based on some type of administration problem. Either it is not being validated and therefore having to fight to find out why and fix it, or it is not having housing after only your freshman year. The housing is a very big issue, because they claim to not have enough housing for everyone. Many people end up moving off-campus after their freshman year.

At Howard, everyone is accepted. That is one thing that I can definitely say about Howard. Howard is a big fashion school so students can be seen on the yard wearing the latest styles or their own unique style. There are many different clubs, groups, and organizations for different people including the NAACP, the LGBT community and many many more. Howard's student body is comprised of people from all over the world. There are a lot of students from the Dominican Republic, Africa, Jamaica, and of course all over the United States from California to Michigan to Georgia. The largest state clubs are the Georgia Club, Chicago Peoples Union, the California Club, and the Michigan Club.

The stereotype about Howard is somewhat correct in the fact that we are not only one of the best Historically Black Colleges and Universities in the country, but we are also ranked amongst other colleges and universities. The stereotype is not accurate about the students of Howard. We are not all rich or stuck up. Most of us are normal people who are on scholarship. We struggle and fight hard to get where we need to be and most of us were in the highest percentages at our high schools and were/are involved in many extracurricular activities. Many of us are leaders.

The academics at Howard are outstanding. In my school, the College of Engineering, Architecture, and Computer Sciences, the curriculum is very challenging. The professors work with you only as well as you work with them. Most of them are willing to communicate with you on a one-on-one basis in order to help you learn and understand the coursework. I believe that the education at Howard is geared toward getting a job. The university holds Career Fairs in which students approach representatives from their possible career choices.

There is always something to do on or around Howard's campus. The athletic events are pretty popular. The marching band performs and the teams play their hardest (sometimes to no avail). There are always shows and concerts going on. You can walk to Adams Morgan from campus and listen to some jazz or go to a bar or a club. There are always club parties pretty much everyday out of the week. The Greek life on Howard's campus is very strong being that the Alpha Chapter of most of the Divine 9 are at Howard. But other fraternities and sororities also do a lot around campus. There is Phi Sigma Pi, Delta Sigma Pi, Tau Beta Sigma, Kappa Kappa Psi, Phi Mu Alpha, Sigma Alpha Iota, Alpha Phi Omega, Alpha Nu Omega, Gamma Sigma Sigma, and so many more. There are also so many more activities/clubs on Howard's campus including The Gospel Choir, the Jazz Choirs (Afro Blue and A Whole Lotta Jazz), Gentlemen of Drew and Ladies of the Quad Social Clubs, the NAACP, NSBE, etc.

Honestly, Howard is over-rated. People hear Howard and think of a prestigious institution for higher learning. Don't get me wrong, it is a great university, but it isn't the same as when it was founded in 1867. The stereotype about Howard students is that we are all stuck up, conceited, spoiled, rich kids.

Bobby

It is said that Howard University can't really be explained. It something you have to truly experience. Only a bison knows how anohter bison feels about the school. Howard University is a like a family member that may get on your nerves every once in a while but you still love them to death. At Howard there is never a dull moment with all the programs that are provided every night and the great Washington Dc surround our campus. Everyone on the campus is like your family and it truly provides a family atmosphere. I know I speak for almost everyone when I say we love our Howard U.

The student body is great at howard. Only here do I believe that you cna meet someone from all 50 states in the United States, Africa, and the Islands. Thats one thing I like about Howard Student body because it gives you a chance to learn about different cultures and how people from different states may do different things.

I have to say that this one is true but its not about fiting in it more about showing everyone else your own style. On any given day while walking on the yard you can see ton of different dressing styles

Howard is known as a academic school so it would be a understatement to say that the howard admin takes academics very seriously. Howard will kick you out in a heart beat if your messing up with classes. So try to keep your gpa up there so that you won't be faced with that problem. I have to say that there are some great professors here who will truly inspire you that it is possible for you to do great things. I actually recommend reading rate my professor.com before picking your classes. It will give you all the dirt on the professor and help you to pick the class thats right for you.

Like I stated before there is always something to do. There is a club for everyone to join because it is just that many and one truly has to have the same interest that you do. The social life is great. There is always something to do. You can count on having club and house parties every weekend if thats something that you want to do. Also as a freshmen you don't have to worry about not having a car because a shuttle will probably pick you up in fornt of the freshmen dorm to take you to the club. If your not a person who likes to party thats fine just hop on the metro and you can find plenty of other things to do in the city such as going to musems or just sight seeing. What ever you desire trust me its here.

One is that Howard Students are very into how they dress

Emmerson

Communication definitely rules the nation. The greatest thing about Howard it the networking!! You never know who you might meet or who you're speaking with, but it's always a good thing for everyone you meet to know your name. The main issue that desperately needs to be addressed is the administration and the attitudes that comes along with it. If I could change one thing that would definitely be it. When it comes to the admintstation the students don't feel secure with them handling their money, nor any other important matters. And because of the staffs awful attitudes, students are too intimidated to go and address their issues. This needs to change!! Every year Howard accepts more students than they can house. This leaves students feeling lost and helpless. So, obviously our school is just a tad bit too small. When I tell people that I attend Howard University the biggest smile spreads accross their faces, for they know that I am destined for great things!! Because of my major, English, I spend most of my time in class or in my dorm, writing. The most recent controversy that people are still dealing with is the housing issue. As of right now, I still have no place to stay next year!! Despite the many issues students are faced with on a daily basis, everyone will tell you there is no place like Howard!! We've got Bison pride...yes we do!!! Strangely, there is nothing unusual about Howard. Howard is second to none, so even the unusual is considered to be the norm. The experience that I'll remember the most is the Jena 6 rally. It was amazing to see so many students in my age bracket come together and willing to make a change and take a stand. "Ugh, I hate the 'A'(administration)building," is the number one complaint of Howard University's students....CONGRATULATIONS!!

1)Just like any other university, Howard does party and we do it pretty well. However, contrary to popular belief, the parties aren't an everyday thing. During the weekdays we work hard, and on the weekends we play even harder!! 2)Because the majority of the students attending Howard aren't local, trends are brought from across the nation. At Howard there is no such thing as "what's hot and what's not", as long as your attire expresses your personality its acceptable. So, just like a fashion show, you never know what's in store once you step on campus!! 3)"Sididy" is quite harsh. However, Howard's students do have this heir about them. Now, this isn't because we look down on others. No, not at all!! The reason why is because of our unique teachings. At Howard, along with being taught the required curriculum, students are also taught self-appreciation. Therefore, we walk with our heads high!! 4)Along with producing some of the most prominent African Americans known today, and being the alpha chapter of seven of the divine nine, and being one of the most prestigious historically black university's, yes, Howard is also known for its homecoming. Alumni's, celebreties, and visitors from across the nation reserve tickets for events such as the fashion show, the comedy show, and the very famous step show!! You can never forget the HOMECOMING at HOWARD!!!

Besides the Greeks, of course, one of the most popular organizations on campus is this group known as the Campus Pals. This organization is devoted to mentoring the freshmen and making sure they start their semester off with a blast! I love being apart of the Mecca Mob!! This organization is devoted to supporting Howard's athletics. We attend all of the games and cheer on our team. Our support makes a difference in the pace of the game....it's always OUR pace!! Some of the dorms can be real secluded because they're suits, so in order to socialize, students often keep their doors open to their suit to let others know they're welcomed. In the athletics department, depending on the game, some sports are more popular than others. It's the same way with the plays and theater acts, attendance is usually determined by what's being showcased. However, Howard always has great guest speakers, so that's always sold out!! Unfortunately, the dating scene at Howard is pretty casual. Not too many people have boyfriends/girlfriends. People tend to have something that is known as a "boo". A boo is a person who is looking for a good time, not a title. I randomly met the greatest girls in the world one night when we were on our way to the club. We were talking about our freshmen expierence and discovered that we stayed in the same buliding, and we've been sisters every since!! Facebook is addictive!! If I'm up at 2am, which I usually am, I'm always logged on Facebook....it's part of the college experience!! Greeks are extremely important on Howard's campus. Howard is the alpha chapter of seven of the Divne Nine. They demand respect and recognition....besides they are the FIST!! Friday night is usually my party night. Saturday is always girls night out!! My friends and I usually shop, eat, then catch a movie. A majority of the shopping, eating out, and partying takes place off campus. So, basically we do everything off campus....we even have dorms off campus!!

1) Howard is a party school. 2) Everyday is a fashion show at Howard. 3) Howard's students are "sididy". 4) Howard is known for its homecoming.

Alicia

The best thing about Howard is the overall experience, which is difficult to put into words. Although the school does have a lot of flaws, that all adds to the "Howard Experience". The school seems big, but it's actually pretty small. You'll feel like you're in high school all over again with the cliques, gossip, etc. But it's easy to get acquainted with. It depends on who you're telling, but for the most part people have very positive reactions when you tell them that you go to Howard, and it does remind you that the name holds alot of weight. On campus, there's not too many places to hang out, but DC is definitely a fun town, not exactly a "college town" because there's so much other stuff going on, but there are certain places(restaraunts, bars, clubs) that Howard students frequent. The Administration SUCKS(what else is new). They put the majority of the Howard population through Hell, but we all accept it. There's always some sort of controversy on campus, recently the biggest was probably our President's retirement/resignation. There's a lot of school pride, but don't confuse that with school spirit, which we definitely lack, especially as far as supporting our sports teams is concerned. Being at Howard is an amazing experience, for better or for worse.

Howard's a historically Black university, so its not too racially diverse, but there are a sprinkle of non-Black students, quite a few international students, and a lot of multicultural students. The only divides that exist are probably socio-economic and... I don't know, maybe just the divisons of cliques and Greeks and other organizations. A lot of people may feel out of place at Howard at first, but everyone usually finds somewhere to fit in pretty quickly. There aren't too many loners. Most students dress to kill for class. Most people stick to their own as far as interaction goes, although there's usually an oddball within certain groups. Howard students are from all over the place though, which is good because it doesn't make you feel like you're the only one new to the area, or the only one far from home. There's people from different states and people from different countries. Only a small fraction are from the area(DC/MD/VA). Most students seem to come from upper-class families, but a lot are middle-class. There aren't too many people from TRUE low-income homes. Some students are politically aware/active, while most simply pretend to be. I'd say most are left and center, but there are some rights. Everyone probablys assumes that we'll all be successful in the future.

For the most part, I'd have to say yes. They're not ALL exactly dorks, but we dohave our fair share of lames, bookworms, and smart-ass know-it-alls. A lot of the people are pretty snotty, but then again there are some down-to-earth folk. The majority of the student body does seem to think that they're heading to an America's Next Top Model audition, rather than class, and many seem to disregard the weather forecast when choosing their outfit du jour. As many older Howardites, DC residents, and other notable people have criticized, the current student body is nowhere near as active in the community or for important causes as Howardites of the past. But they do pretend to be by traveling in "mighty" packs of 50 or so to places like New Orleans or Jena, Louisiana, the National Mall or government buildings, and creating protests and rallies which they believe are creating some sort of impact. A lot of students here begin to embody an almost 'Black supremacist' persona while at Howard, and some even begin to sport Afros, dreads, and dashikis, and get tattoos of ankhs or some sort of symbol of the motherland and wear Black Power fists usually by the middle of sophomore year...

Some professor's will know your name(whether you want them to or not), while other's will tell you flat out that they have no desire to get familiar with anyone. Some restrict student/teacher interaction to the classroom while others really extend themselves. Some teachers who I've enjoyed are Dr. Ian Smart(Humanities), Dr. Greg Carr, Dr. Jules Harrell & Dr. Alfnso Campbell(Psych), Dr. Hakim Rashid(Human Dev.), Prof. Carol Beane(Spanish), Prof. Senhui Chen(Math), Prof. Darren Conrad(Econ), Prof. Paul Logan(German), Caroline Dexter(Classics), Prof. Cevallos(Spanish)... the list goes on. One of THE worst teachers is Dr. Janis Brown(Statistics) and most of the Math Department sucks too. Intellectual conversations are inevitable at Howard, in and out of the classrooms, but so ar ignorant conversations. Students are kind of competitive, but not overly. The most unique class I've taken was probably Intro to Humanities w/ Dr. Smart(whom I absolutely adore!), where you learn less about conventional humanities, and more about Howard and life in general. The academic requirements are somewhat ridiculous, especially for the College of Arts & Science(Swimming???). But I do think Howard prepares you for a good future.

There's groups for everyone. Some people will try and transform themselves just to fit in to certain groups and organizations. Most of the people involved in groups, allow that group to define who they are... Don't just leave your doors open in dorms. It's just not a good idea. Athletic events aren't that popular. Football's probably the most popular, but it's still not that exciting. We do have al ot of guest speakers and special events, but they usually aren't highly publicized, so you always have to keep your ears and eyes open or you may miss out. A lot of people date and hook up, but relationships aren't that big. I met my closest friends freshman year living in the freshman girl's dorm, but I always am meeting new people too. Homecoming's obviously the biggest event, and it's always fun, but doesn't always meet everyone's expectations. Greek Life is a pretty big deal, seeing as how we have a lot of alpha chapters, but it seems like its more for association than actual activism. This past weekend, I went to a bar with my friends, went shopping and out to eat, chilled at the house, and contemplated the club. There's plenty of things to do besides drink, it just depends what you're into. I work off campus, go to the malls, go out to eat and drink, hang out with non-Howard friends, go to concerts and other special events, etc.

Stereotypes I've always heard about Howard students are that they're dorks, stuck-up/sadiddy, highly fashionable, pretend to be concerned about social/global/political issues, racist, Afro-centric, etc. As a whole, the university seems to have fallen from its glory. The classrooms probably haven't been renovated since the 1960s or so. The sidewalks and building steps are disentegrating. Technology is hardly ever functioning or updated. We hear of all of these donors and money flowing into the school, but don't seem to see where exactly this money's going to. Many of the teachers complain, piss and moan about their salary, their office(or lack of one), the classrooms, the administration, etc.

robYn

The best thing about Howard it the poeple. The school is not is not too small I feel its just right and the only thing I would change is the administration. I would also chang the visitation rules for the dorms. There is so much school pride and people think very highly of you when you tell them you go to Howard.

Because Howard University is a predominately black institution I think that someone who is not black might feel a little left out. Students are very politically aware and active.

The professors know they're students names and that is a definite plus. My favorite class is social theory and society and my least favorite was algebra. Class participation is very common and it really shows the competiveness of the students in those classes.

A lot of greek sorities and Fraternities were started at HU therefore they are a very big aspect of life at Howard. There are also a lot of concerts and activities that occur throughout the year. Guest speakers are always here as well. Howard is located in a college town also so there are things to do at other schools as well.

Howard students are lazy, party too much, self indulged,

Denise

The best thing about Howard is the price. We have a great name and some great professors who make sure we get the most for our money. I would change the dorms because there are too many students that cannot get housing. Additionally, visitation rules need to change. It is great to know they are concerned with our safety, their rules are too restrictive.

There are so many clubs from political to state to social clubs.

The stereotype is partially accurate. We have been considered the most fashionable university in the nation on several occasions and we host several fashion shows during the school year but fashion is not our No.1 priority. We ( as should everyone else) care about our appearance. But there are some who don't.

Depending on the size of the course, teachers know students' names. Some classes will have ten people while others will have over 200.

Greek life plays a nig role on the campus. Students support teams but they are not very successful. From presidential candidates to music moguls, the campus is always flocking with students. On a saturday, there are so many things to do. You can go out to Chinatown or the movies or to a club.

The main stereotype is the University is only concerned with fashion.

Reese

The best thing about Howard is the student body. Howard has a very diverse student body. Washington, DC has a lot to do with that, seeing as though it to has a very diverse population. You'll meet students from a wide variety of countries, cultures, upbringings, and beliefs. Howard is also known for its "recreational" activities. Howard's homecoming is legendary and largely attended by more than just locals and alumnae. Celebrities often make it a point to be present at the homecoming events. However Howard has its issues. One of my major issues with Howard is their inconsistency when it comes to procedure and policy. It is common for you to receive several contradicting suggestions or comments with the same department. Many of the administrative offices will send you on a treasure hunt to complete simple tasks like receiving your financial aid refund, paying your Howard balance, applying for emergency loans, etc. It can be quite annoying and discouraging. Howard is also known for losing documents after a crucial deadline has passed, forcing you to have to resubmit your information "late." Because of these issues, I have learned to make copies of everything I give Howard; I take down the names of every individual I speak to and the date I spoke to that person as well; I am also forced to harass them with phone calls to assure that any documents requested of me have been received, processed, and logged into my personal account. Howard teaches how to be cautious and meticulous. These are amongst the most complaints I hear on a daily basis at Howard. Another issue the students have is the subpar conditions a lot of our facilities are in. We are currently renovating several buildings but it makes no sense for the majority of the main campus to have so many physical problems. Some buildings lack functioning heaters and air conditioners; some don't have enough desks. The dorms also could use a lot of remodeling. Some dorms are older than others and lack amenities like air conditioning; even some of the newer dorms are infested with roaches and sometimes mice, one of our dorms have extremely sensitive sprinklers which causes problems, and our freshman dorms have smoke detectors with the nose of Superman and are guaranteed to go off and force us all outside at no specific time at least once every two weeks. The food is overprocessed and served on sometimes dirty dishes that I am forced to sift through for the least dirty of them all to then rinse under the hot water spout supposed to be used for tea. I could go on and on about my issues with Howard's campus, dormitories, and lack of fresh foods. With all that said however, Howard offers you an experience second to none. I used to consider my feelings about Howard similar to those of a woman unable to leave an abusive relationship; he hits me but I love him and I know he loves me. I was wrong. My relationship with Howard has been most similar to that of a family. There is this unconditional love between me and Howard. We will always fight and we will constantly fail to see eye to eye. But I would never trade my family for anything in the world. Howard is one of a kind. Not only will you have the time of your life enjoying the new friends you make from places you've never been or even heard of; you will also be bombarded with opportunities to advance in any field you may be interested; and most importantly you will become a part of as expanding network of the best and brightest of America. Howard is not for the weak, or the unsure, it is for the determined and motivated who will contribute to its rich legacy. The Real HU!! Bison for life. Ms. Wright

No, except the being number one thing, thats true. :)

The females are all snotty and uppity. We have a superiority complex. We're the number one HBCU in the country.

Bevan

The best thing about Howard is its students. The mix of black people from every socioeconomic level, religion, culture and background is unlike anything I ever could have gotten from a majority school. My experiences with the student body and extracurriculars are what make me inevitably say that I like Howard when my thoughts on the way the school is run make me hesitate at first. I went to predominantly white schools all my life, so none of my friends had heard of Howard (an HBCU) when I announced I was going there during my senior year of high school. However, the school has a great legacy and name recognition in the professional world, which certainly doesn't hurt. The main cmapus is one of the smallest I've ever seen, and I like that with only about 10,000 undergrads, there probably six (or fewer) degrees of separation between everyone. I love that I'm in D.C. and that there are so many interesting things about it, but I do sometimes feel like I missed out by not living in a typical "college town." We certainly have a lot of school pride, as evidenced by our alumni. However, there's not much hype around athletics because the our teams for typically popular sports (basketball, football, etc.) aren't that great. But our homecoming is always a huge event, attracting celebrities, alumni and even people who never went here from across the country.

I get the impression that most Howard students are middle class to upper middle class. The fact that it's an HBCU changes the whole racial dynamic, but there are cultural tensions between American students and international students (who are primarily from the Caribbean and Africa)at times. I think there's a niche for everyone here, or at least room to create one. Howard students generally consider themselves politically active and aware, but some consider us complacent (see a Washington Post piece by Courtland Milloy regarding "soul food Thursday" and a visit by Laura Bush).

The fashion stereotype is certainly true, but I feel that it sometimes overshadows the school's legitimate qualities. You will, however, see girls from the two freshman dorms trekking up the hill in heels. Some people dress liek they're going to the club to go to class. I believe the stereotype about us being elitist results from misunderstandings between students and people from Washington. While students of every socioeconomic level attend Howard, I believe most of us are from the suburbs and thus have to adjust to being in an urban environment. Resentment builds when residents assume we all have attitudes and we, in turn, assume they are all crazy or inferior. One detail: people from Washington don't appreciate being called "locals," and students typically use this as a derogatory term.

Besides some of the classes freshmen are required to take (like math) and phys ed courses like swimming, the classes are generally small. This semester, there are four people in my smallest class and about 15 in my largest. I'm an English major and a print journalism minor, so I'm in the College of Arts and Sciences but also take classes in the School of Communication. I haven't really felt all that enlightened by my English courses or figured out how all these classes are supposed to mesh together to give me some kind of cohesive notion of what I'm getting a degree in. I will say that I have been exposed to a lot of literature I probably never would have found on my own, especially by black writers. However, our journalism program is excellent and I feel like I'm learning a lot in my minor. Our professors are actual journalists, and it's nice to learn from people who actually do what they teach.

Most of the Divine Nine (the preeminent black fraternities and sororities) were founded at Howard, so Greeks have an imposing presence on campus. A lot of people strategically join certain organizations to get in the good graces of certain Greeks. There's a healthy party scene, with at least a few house parties within walking distance each weekend. Fliers for club parties are a familiar sight under dorm doors. For people who don't like to party, there are plenty of on-campus events and arts & culture things to find in D.C. There are all kinds of numbers floating around about the male-to-female ratio, but it's understood that women far outnumber men, and many say this has a negative effect on the dating prospects for women.

Howard is known to be big on fashion. Many people change the way they dress once they get here, and the Yard (the main open area on campus) is said to be a fashion show when it's hot out. Howard students are also generally considered "stuck up" and elitist by people (especially blacks) from the surrounding community.

Howard University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.