Howard University

« See more reviews of Howard University

As I mentioned, I left the University for personal reasons and would not deter anyone from going who is interested. All I would like an interested student to do first, is to heavily explore the schools they are interested in. Visit the campuses if possible, take virtual tours, ask others, call, do what is necessary to find out as much as you can, because they will be important years in your life. I transferred and left behind a lot of memories; Disappointed in some respects and not so much in others. I have given an accurate perspective as a significantly involved and extremely proud former student of the University. If you would like to know anything else, please feel free to contact me, granted my email address is posted. P.S. I changed my major, because the University I transferred to does not offer Insurance as a major. Best Wishes!

I never considered any other schools; once I decided upon Howard University at age seven. Nestled in Washington DC, Howard University has exquisite views of the Capitol Building and the Washington Monument just to name a few. Furthermore, Howard University has a diverse and dynamic campus life. There are over 116 countries represented on its campus and 178 recognized campus clubs and organizations. More importantly, academics remain a focus of Howard University. It maintains prestige academically through spirited and well informed professors. Where can you get diversity mixed with prestige? You cannot find it anywhere except Howard university.

The opportunities to become involved on campus is endless. As some universities may offer activities to become a part of Howard University offers students a chance to become leaders of their own programs, organizations as well as groups. In such an opportunity it allows students to grow into the individuals they become and mold those who are following into the same footsteps. Our legacy has an efficient reputation that allows students to continue to carry it on through their academic studies as well as service to the community. A voice as a student is very important and heard.

Although my school is a predominantly African-American school, I feel as though is is vry diverse. There are lots of students from all over the United States as well as International students. Howad University is a unique school because they have lots of opportunities for students and they reach out to students and encourage them to seek the help they need to better themselves in their studies. Although college is viewed to many as a serious business that provides one with the foundation to excel in future aspiartions, they also create an area for down time and enjoyment.

Howard University is one of the most unique colleges that I have ever been to in my life. One of the most unique attributes about Howard University is that it has so many people that are just like you--not only people that share majors, but also socially. More than anything, Howard University makes it easy for anyone to be able to fit in and gain many friends that could possibly become lifetime friends. Even though Howard University is a Historical Black University, it is easy for anyone Caucasian, Asian, Caribbean, African, European or any other nationality to fit in.

Howard Uniersity is pretty liberal, but there are definitely certain rules that are conservative compared to other schools. However, the rules and regulations are not so strict that they make student feeled babied or unable to do what they want. The open atmosphere makes people feel comfortable and they are many different types of people who atend the school in harmony. The social atmosphere of the school make it different from the other school I had applied to. I feel happy and free to live mylife without too many restraints or worrying that I will not fit in.

At Howard University you meet so many people from around the world. Since Howard is an HBCU you can be assured that the campus is alive with history and African American culture. Howard is also a social campus, some days on the Yard there is music playing while students lounge, study, and enjoy the great weather. It is the place where friends meet or listen to someone trying to play their new demo. Aside from the social, Howard has amazing professors that are both eccentric and knowledgeable. They are willing to go the extra mile to make sure you understand.

I was looking for a school that I felt comfortable with but at the same time, I wanted to feel challenged. Howard University pushes students to realize that they are just a number on campus and the question becomes, “what will you do to change that?” Howard causes students to bring their creativity and aspirations to the campus for everyone to see. With other schools that I was considering, Howard stood out to be the school that would prepare me for the corporate world but also, would prepare me to tackle the rest of the world with determination and passion.

Howard University is one of the top ranked HBCUs in America. The unique aspect about Howard University is that although it is a Historically Black University, there are so many different types of people that go there. I grew up going to pretty diverse grade schools, and I can honestly say that Howard posseses more culturally diverse people then all of them combined. After my first year there, I have met so many different types of people from all around the world, which gives me such an advantage once I graduate and begin the job searching process.

Howard has a distinctive vibe when one visits the campus, different than either of the other two schools I applied to ( UMD College Park and UVA). There's an immediate connection that you feel with the Howard community from students to faculty, it's like a family bond. The same as family goes, members of the Howard community are genuine in their support and care for one another. The fact that you're surrounded by other minorities who are doing tremendous things with themselves is a source of inspiration and pushes you to succeed just the same.