Howard University

« See more reviews of Howard University

a) It depends. If you are a good student, the professor will know your name. If you're a butt kisser, they'll know your name then too. If you do nothing, well hey, they may still know your name. Lol! b)my favorite class was Business Orientation. It provided all the basics I needed for my career pursuit. c) That's the problem, STUDENTS DON'T STUDY. A handful may, but typically, there is not a need to. Maybe some classes, but definitely not most. d) Class participation is common, especially in classes where professors are able to evoke the students' interest e) YES! When do they NOT have intellectual conversations?! No, but really, the students on HU's campus, discuss a number of topics, from politics to student advocacy, all of which sound so invigorating when listening in. Realistically speaking, some students don't talk about things like that, but for the most part they do. f) Students don't need to be competitive; Everyone has their own path. Compete in class, maybe, but not likely. g) The most unique class I took, again was Business anything my freshman year. The program that new entrants into the School of B must take is unique and there is no other of its kind in the nation. g) I was an Insurance Major with a concentration in Actuarial Science. It is a heavily analytical study with a business background. I associated best with the business portion and changed my major this year to Finance(at another University, but I'll explain that later). My department was Finance/International Business/Insurance, but possibly the most efficient as it dealt heavily with Investment Banks and has the most students. h) I didn't, other students may have. I spent a lot of time with different Directors of programs due to my affiliation with them. They may have taught some classes, but were not faculty, of course. i) Howard's standards are low. They should make the standards higher in order to recruit a more attentive and academically focused student body. j) Both. Again, the School of B is geared towards getting students a job by the end of their 4 years. Other schools may offer that too, but I don't know about the capacity to which they work towards that. On the other hand, students attend for the learning's sake as well.

I feel like the quality of academics at Howard depends on your department. My departments, the School of Communications and the English department are wonderful, and provide the students with more than just classroom success, but also real life professional experience. General education requirements are probably the same as any other college or university, very crowded and broad, but once you get into your specific major, and minor, the classes become smaller, and very intimate. Classes within your major and minor at Howard are very hands on, the teachers get the students involved, and furthering outside knowledge is vital to succeeding in class. Just like any other school, the amount of studying and intellectual conversation that takes place depends on the students themselves. Most students at Howard are very intelligent, and are not afraid to show it, but there are students that a simply there to just get a piece of paper and move on. The students that do care about their education are very competitive, and pride themselves on being the best students and most qualified professionals they can be. Once you get to your major and minor, you will get to know your professors very well, and have them various times before you graduate, it is vital to form a positive relationship with you professors, because at Howard the professors will only respect you if you respect them and show them you are worth their time. If you form a good bond with your professors they will be more than happy to help you inside and outside of the classroom including, recommendations, and extra help. Overall I feel the education at Howard is what you make it. If you are open and willing to learn and expand your mind intellectually, then you will find the education at Howard to be very substantial.

Besides some of the classes freshmen are required to take (like math) and phys ed courses like swimming, the classes are generally small. This semester, there are four people in my smallest class and about 15 in my largest. I'm an English major and a print journalism minor, so I'm in the College of Arts and Sciences but also take classes in the School of Communication. I haven't really felt all that enlightened by my English courses or figured out how all these classes are supposed to mesh together to give me some kind of cohesive notion of what I'm getting a degree in. I will say that I have been exposed to a lot of literature I probably never would have found on my own, especially by black writers. However, our journalism program is excellent and I feel like I'm learning a lot in my minor. Our professors are actual journalists, and it's nice to learn from people who actually do what they teach.

One thing that a professor always tells me is, "Howard offers a great education if you pick the right department." Two of the better departments are English and Classics. The English department regularly sends graduates to top law schools i.e, Yale and Georgetown, while the Classics department produced Howard's last Rhodes Scholar. From my experience, my professors have emailed me to ask why I've missed class and ask me to come to office hours to talk about anything from how I'm adjusting to Howard to the finer points of the Iliad. The math department gets a pretty bad rep because of its many foreign teachers. Howard has a lot of preprofessional majors such as actuarial science, communications, and sports medicine. The preprofessionalism spills over to the mindset of the students. You will find classmates asking "What can you do with your degree?" rather than "What are you reading?

It all depends on what your major is and what particular school you are in. From what I gather, School of Communications and School of Business Advisors are a little more hands on than some of the College of Arts and Sciences advisors. The classes themselves are, once again, touch and go. Some are more challenging than others. There are some excellent teachers here at Howard across the board, and some mediocre teachers. The education you get is wholistic. You get exposed to things that simply spark your interest, as well as to necessary skill sets for your chosen career paths. I would suggest that everyone take a class with Dr. Gregory Carr, and Professor Tony Medina if they have the chance. Both of these men have left lasting impressions on me academically, and are generally percieved to be amongst the most popular classes to take at HU.

Howard is a good size school where you have a range from your standard lecture classes to your smaller concentrated classes. Howard is big on the fundamental skills of education; even though we may wish we had smartboards in all of our classes and the latest technology, you are at least given the basic skills that allow you to gain your competitive edge in society. As in life, you take from a class what you put in; some people may see classes as boring because a lot of them are text book oriented, however, if you are the type of student that is willing to speak up and start class discussion the world is yours. We have amazing professors who show that they love us and its a family at the end of the day. When it comes to the literal education, it truly depends on the individual to take away what they want from the experience.

Academics are pretty standard I would say compared to other universities. So far I haven't received any unique training in classes but the experience you have really depends on the professors you take. Please use ratemyprofessor.com. It will save you the trouble of having to drop a class midway through the semester. The best classes I've taken since Ive been here are Black Thought in the Diaspora with Dr. Gregory Carr, Priniciples of Speech with Professor Christopher Jackson, and Accounting Principles I with Professor Lesia Quamina (Accounting is my major). Don't leave Howard University without taking a class by Dr. Carr, it will change your life. Take the time to develop a relationship with your professors, it will make a difference.

Yes, if you get to know them first. I dont have any favorite clasees but my least favorite was Bio 101. I hated it. The building was in very poor condition, no air conditioning it was always hot or cold, and half of all the chiars were broken. It made it very hard to learn. Students dont study very often. Class participation is common among zealous students. Yes, they do. In fact there was this big stir in Lock Hall when a few got to gether and were talking about religion...the group grew large as passers by joined in. Students are competitive and for no reason it seems. Being a freshman, there's no reason to be competitive because if we both get A's nothing happends. If I fail and you dont, still, nothing happends.

I am in the School of Communications at Howard University. The classes are not too big and not too small, therefore, I am given an equal amount of time and attention with my professors. Howard as a whole is a very competitive school, with many of its students being at the top of their classes in high school. Howard also incorporates a lot of African/African-American studies in their curriculum, being a Historically Black University. I feel that I not only learn about my field of interest, but also my history and ancestors too. There are many teachers who take pride in what they do, which also makes me want to learn. I feel that while my classes may not always be easy, they are definitely interesting and worth taking.

The quality of academics depends on the department, but the requirements are usually manageable. In my major, Psychology, the classes are intensive (but not as bad as Biology or Chemistry or Business) and professors are usually willing to get to know you. Students here are very competitive - for grades, research experiences, internships, and scholarships. Everyone wants to make a name for themselves. There is no room for slackers here. The education here is geared to prepare you for life after graduation (either a job or graduate school). Most classes are lecture-based and class participation is low. Few classes are interactive and/or discussion based, but students usually appreciate those classes the most.