Howard University

« See more reviews of Howard University

The college of Engineering in particular has a very rigorous curriculum. Most Engineering students hardly find time to do anything besides school work.

Depending on the size of the course, teachers know students' names. Some classes will have ten people while others will have over 200.

Guess we will find out in the Fall

Some professor's will know your name(whether you want them to or not), while other's will tell you flat out that they have no desire to get familiar with anyone. Some restrict student/teacher interaction to the classroom while others really extend themselves. Some teachers who I've enjoyed are Dr. Ian Smart(Humanities), Dr. Greg Carr, Dr. Jules Harrell & Dr. Alfnso Campbell(Psych), Dr. Hakim Rashid(Human Dev.), Prof. Carol Beane(Spanish), Prof. Senhui Chen(Math), Prof. Darren Conrad(Econ), Prof. Paul Logan(German), Caroline Dexter(Classics), Prof. Cevallos(Spanish)... the list goes on. One of THE worst teachers is Dr. Janis Brown(Statistics) and most of the Math Department sucks too. Intellectual conversations are inevitable at Howard, in and out of the classrooms, but so ar ignorant conversations. Students are kind of competitive, but not overly. The most unique class I've taken was probably Intro to Humanities w/ Dr. Smart(whom I absolutely adore!), where you learn less about conventional humanities, and more about Howard and life in general. The academic requirements are somewhat ridiculous, especially for the College of Arts & Science(Swimming???). But I do think Howard prepares you for a good future.

Academics at Howard really depend on the major. Some are more intensive and personal due to small amounts of students, such as Art, while others are more like a traditional large university due to high numbers of students, like Political Science. Overall, professors are very helpful and willing to meet with students during office hours to help them succeed and give advice. My favorite class has been digital photography, because I was able to express myself through photos and learn about digital cameras in depth and programs such as Photoshop. The African-American course requirement broadens many students' view on the world and causes for intense debates inside and outside of the classroom. It is an academic environment for challenging beliefs and expressing one's opinions in a mature, healthy setting. Through Howard's different programs, such as the CEDAR center, students can get help in securing jobs and internships. This school prepares students for so much when it comes to the real world, and Howard students have a distinct aura about them that only this school can provide.

Academics at Howard have bred a confidence in me that I would never have had without it. The teachers are caring, they know my name, they are interested in meeting with the students all the time, they're so accessible. The education at Howard is definitely geared towards getting a good job. I have learned so many skills that I would be otherwise ignorant to because of my university. I am receiving a one of a kind education that is not only preparing me for success in the classroom, but there real world, too.

For its size, I think Howard, does a good job of keeping its class sizes fairly low. My largest class was Spanish, which had maybe 40 people in it, while my smallest class had 5. I never had problems getting one on one attention from professors when I needed it. My anthropology professors were passionate and knowledgeable and knew all the majors by name. Intellectual discourse among students is common in and outside of the classrooms.