Howard University

« See more reviews of Howard University

Most of the Divine Nine (the preeminent black fraternities and sororities) were founded at Howard, so Greeks have an imposing presence on campus. A lot of people strategically join certain organizations to get in the good graces of certain Greeks. There's a healthy party scene, with at least a few house parties within walking distance each weekend. Fliers for club parties are a familiar sight under dorm doors. For people who don't like to party, there are plenty of on-campus events and arts & culture things to find in D.C. There are all kinds of numbers floating around about the male-to-female ratio, but it's understood that women far outnumber men, and many say this has a negative effect on the dating prospects for women.

Like I stated before there is always something to do. There is a club for everyone to join because it is just that many and one truly has to have the same interest that you do. The social life is great. There is always something to do. You can count on having club and house parties every weekend if thats something that you want to do. Also as a freshmen you don't have to worry about not having a car because a shuttle will probably pick you up in fornt of the freshmen dorm to take you to the club. If your not a person who likes to party thats fine just hop on the metro and you can find plenty of other things to do in the city such as going to musems or just sight seeing. What ever you desire trust me its here.

I am a sophomore and I live in Meridian which is an off campus co-ed dorm about 10 minutes from campus. It is nicknamed the "ebony sex palace". But don't be alarmed, everyone that lives there isn't doing outrageous things. I don't drink or smoke and I'm not really a club person. My friends and I really like shopping at Pentagon city mall, going to the movies in Chinatown, or going out to eat. I meet my closest friend and current roommate through my freshman year roommate. I met other people through my team (School of Business) and by joining orgs and through other people. The most important thing you should do is go to the white house. I mean you live in the nation's capital. Explore a little. :)

Howard University is the birthplace of five of the Divine 9 Black Greek Organizations, so greek life thrives on our campus. Student government also plays an important role. Atheltic events are fun, even though our sports team doesn't win much. Most people just go to see our band, or cheerleaders. There are literally hundreds of student organizations at HU. I'm pretty active on campus, amd I always find something to do! Howard is also very big on parties. Bison study hard and party hard. There is almost always some kind of social event or panel discussion going on at HU. Of course our homecoming events are also very popular, and draw huge crowds annualy from all around the country.

Howard has a very wide variety of student groups and activities to become involved with. The University Campus Pals are popular amongst the freshmen, as they help them move in and become acclimated to the college scene. The "Blue Crew" is also a popular group, as they help cheer on the sports teams during games and sometimes travel with them in support. There are plenty of other organizations as well dealing with religious life, Greek life, sports, state clubs and other aspects of school. At Howard there is pretty much an organization for anything that you can think of. This makes it easier to find people who have similar interests as you and helps you feel as though you "fit in."

No, but really. Everyone is involved in student organizations. That's just another aspect of the competitive spirit of Howard, I suppose. Freshman year, you'll treat your dorm like a gang or sect. At the end of spring semester Res(idence)Fest will be like the ultimate gang war: Dorm v. Dorm. There is an organization for just about any interest or hobby. From state clubs, to greek organizations, to honor societies and community service clubs. Student government is also very popular. There are plenty options from HUSA (Howard University Student Association) to student councils.

-Most popular orgs; Blue Crew, Gospel Choir, Cheerleaders, Bisonettes, Oh La La's, Fraternities/Sororities, and State clubs. -I am involved with the Women as Change Agents mentorship. My mentors are so helpful and supportive. They give me a lot of advice, and I really appreciate what they do for me. There are also group wide meetings that I love to go to. -Howard students love Homecoming, the Morehouse game, and the Hampton game. -Some people party every weekend. There is always something going on. -You can do anything you want off campus...it's DC.

A lot of greek sorities and Fraternities were started at HU therefore they are a very big aspect of life at Howard. There are also a lot of concerts and activities that occur throughout the year. Guest speakers are always here as well. Howard is located in a college town also so there are things to do at other schools as well.

Greek life plays a nig role on the campus. Students support teams but they are not very successful. From presidential candidates to music moguls, the campus is always flocking with students. On a saturday, there are so many things to do. You can go out to Chinatown or the movies or to a club.

The campus has a wide array of student activities and groups. As far as popularity goes, the fraternities and sororities are pretty popular. Campus pals is also very popular. The football team is most popular sports team in my opinion.