Howard University

« See more reviews of Howard University

When my friends ask me about my University, I brag about the diversity that most people believe HBCU?s lack. Attending such a nationally renowned university, a student is privileged to interact with an abundance of cultures. Each area of the country talks, interacts, and lives a different way. Although society and the media may bunch us together as one group, Howard University allows Black people to respect the differences in one another. This is something that friends at other schools may not understand, because they are brainwashed by the thoughts that all Black people are the same.

The pride that is found with being a Howard University Bison is never insufficient. While a position of being a student to a school holds a great amount of responsibility, Howard offers so much more. As a student our pride is developed as our relationship and love for our surrounding community becomes stronger. The University has a wonderful staff that embodies the idea of educational motivation. Personally, when I step into a classroom the environment is more than a learning environment but one in which our minds are able to evolve. The professors are what make our University great.

I always tell people about how popular my school is among the intellectual community and even throughout mainstream icons. Many artists, vocal and otherwise, have either graduated or attend Howard University. In the end, what students end up gaining is a strong tie to pop culture, fashion, and social movements. The university's history is one of its greatest attributes. Howard is a place where icons from John Legend to Stokley Carmichael have walked. They are a few of the many who commit themselves because the school's history coupled with the promise of its students, is worthy.

Howard University, otherwise known as “The Mecca”, is the number one co-ed Historically Black College/University. However, when it comes to bragging I tend to focus on the Alumni and how they are always giving back to the students here. I’m not talking about money; I am talking about time spent. It seems like every week there is a different graduate speaking on campus about how Howard University helped them to lead their successful lives. Not only do they speak on how Howard influenced them, they recommend different programs to help all of the students here succeed.

When I brag about my school, I always tell my friends about Howard being "the real HU" because we have a rival with Hampton university because they claim to be "the real HU", but they were called Hampton Institute before they changed it to a university. Meanwhile, Howard was always called Howard University. I also brag about Howard being the "black Harvard" and about our homecoming every year. Our homecoming is the biggest event that happens throughout the school year, and people from all states come just to get a taste of the the Howard experience.

I brag about the culture, the history of the school, and the school spirit. Howard is located in a great area in DC. The school and the area contrast each other: there are students in the school that are about career and reaching goals while in the community are a people who suffer from poverty and other social ills. It can serve as motivation to be the best that you can be and also help community. There is also a great alumni network. Everyone can be involved in extra-curricular activites. The campus is beautiful. School spirit is huge.

Theres not a day when I do not express to my friends and family that I am blessed to be going to school with so many famous alumni. I never fail to tell people that I go to Howard University, the University where people like Patricia Bath, Alexander Darnes, John T. Baker, Harold Ford Sr., Phylicia Rashad, and Sean Combs famously known as "P. Diddy." I too, always make sure I tell my friends about the wonderful people who have spoke at graduations like Martin Luther King Jr. These people made an effort to be part of the bison culture.

I brag about the dynamic lifestyle HU students live. Not only do we have an alumni that consist of scholars, but also many celebrities who make appearances all of the time. I also boast about the enriched history present throughout our campus, through stories, and our alumni and past staff members. HU is in an area with many other schools in our nation’s capital making the opportunities we have here endless. Most importantly, I brag about HU being known as the Mecca of black intelligence as well as the Black Harvard.

Whenever I talk to my friends about Howard University, I let them know how much I love my school. I feel like Howard is where I am supposed to be. I do not believe I would be happier at any other institution. Howard is in the heart of Washington, DC. It is a metropolitan city. Howard University is so diverse. There are students from literally all over the world that attend Howard University. Plus, Howard University is the number one Historically Black College/ University.

I mostly brag about hoe we have graduates every where. That every fortune 500 company knows about Howard and networking is a must in order to succeed. I tell them that we all want on thing: SUCCESS we strive to help each other get there. I tell them that being a BISON is a way of life and there is no school like Howard. Even when the cons are against us, we push through because the pros outweigh them. Basically, I tell them that my school is better than theirs.