Howard University

« See more reviews of Howard University

Howard University gives no instructions on how to be a successful Howard student. It is up to students to plan and execute their own academic track. Howard provides subtle hints along the way. It bestows all students with a blank canvas, a paintbrush, one paint color, and no instructions. Students must acquire more paints and brushes to complete their masterpiece. On their peregrination to acquire more supplies, students must fight through rigorous battles relying solely on one another. Once "the dust has settled," students will appreciate every battle because it has allowed them to create a masterpiece--the Howard Experience.

I do not like the registration process and the administration at Howard University. We also have horrible customer service and this should be changed immediately. This along with the slow server on BisonWeb which takes care of financial aid, transcripts, rooming assingments, and registration for classes, has caused students to transfer from Howard University. It is not conducive to a happy environment if the server bogs down everytime a students tries to register for classes or select a living assignment. It is ridiculous and should be changed soon. The shuttle system also is mediocre at Howard University.

As a student at a school where tuition is $30,000 , I sometimes wonder where the money is going. Services at Howard can often seem mediocre for the financial investment and prestigous name the university carries. The worst thing about Howard University is that it lacks the professionalism, business tchnique, financial security and stability of many other prestigious universities within the country. The day to day struggles of this HBCU are evident in the day to day life of a Howard student in the classroom, residence life, student union, and last but not least the admistrative and counseling services.

In all honesty, the worst thing about Howard University is the administration. Students are unable to receive the help they deserve without getting the run-around, encountering unncecessary negative attitudes, or being made to feel at fault for not knowing certain things. The administration's job is to provide students with the help they need to ensure a smooth matriculation through the university. The matriculation is all but smooth. The administration makes things so much more difficult than they have to be and we, the students, have to suffer. Customer service is not a priority here.

As much as I brag (as you will read in the nexxt question) of Howard's promise and history, much of the students committment to social change and political activism has died with the 80's. I believe that Howard has a unique history and, therefore, ability to make significant changes in the continuing fight for civil rights, equality, and community involvement. To me, then, the worst thing about Howard is that too many of its students get lost into social retreats: fashion, social clubs, and living for social success. Too many have become estranged from life's worthy issues.

The Administration at Howard University is horrible. People here do not want to see change occur; because of that, many students on this campus lose their housing, get the run-around from administration and sometimes don't even get the alloted credits he or she has earned due to incopmetence. The cause of this is "inbreeding" of staff, in which former alumni from previous years come back, and they are set in their own ways. This can become very cumbersome and leads to confrontation between students and staff. Unfortunately, this has soon to be rectified.

There is a lot of alcohol use and drug use (smoking week) among the student in the campus despite the school's policy as a dry campus. As a predominantly black college/university, Howard University does not have the most diversity. This is not entirely a problem but the culture here seems to be predominantly that of an urban African-American culture. Some students here seem to be very narrow-minded, ignorant, and subconsciously intolerant towards those of a different lifestyle. I am Pentecostal/Apostolic and I feel judged for my lifestyle/way of dress.

The worst thing about my school is the realtionship between the students and the faculty. When it comes to financial aid, forms get lost all the time and you may not realize it until they send you a letter with a purge date stamped on it. On this campus it is not uncommon to hear horror stories of the Administration Building. This building house the financial aid office and academic recording. Transcripts are misplaced, charges are inaccurate, and the staff is rude. It is unfortunate that this happens to students as it would be better to be courteous.

The worst thing about Howard University is the administration and financial aid offices. Dealing with the workers in these offices can be very difficult. Majority of the students take issue with them. They tend to be rude to students, unorganized, and unhelpful. However, the new president of the school has been asking for feedback from students and is working with the administration and financial aid offices to better serve us. I think that a training course that teaches hospitality skills is greatly needed for the employees.

The one thing that needs the most improvement ("worst" sounds so harsh!) is housing, namely just receiving it. More students are admitted than can be housed, and If a continuing student-- like myself this year--, does not get housing through our RSVP system, it is a nail-biting experience: from March until the week before classes start we are unsure if we can get a room, unless we give up and find apartments somewhere in the DC/Maryland/Virginia area, which are pretty expensive even with a roommate and not always safe.