Howard University

« See more reviews of Howard University

The mice and pigeons in the city

Somewhat poor administration.

The ADMINISTRATION!!!!

The implied segregation and hate of white people and the awkwardness it causes for a mixed race individual. People at my school are too quick to blame the white man instead of just a man, and the opinions are strong. I was once in an African Studies class with a professor from Mozambique. The professor singled me out for a demonstrative question, but it did not go how he planned. He was trying to explain that charity starts at home, in relation that back in Africa people helped their cultural companions, then countrymen, then neighbors outside of that. Unfortunately American culture does not operate the same as African. Where as Africa is a diverse continent, America is but one country where we collectively try to have a similar culture from west coast to east. The professor asked me if a white man and a black man were drowning who would I save. I replied to him whoever was closest, to which he immediately responded equal distance. Again evading a direct answer I say I'll save the man struggling more, with the same speed he tells me, equal struggle. I tell him it's an unfair question and I do not want to answer. At this point he had been holding up class focusing on my unwillingness to make a decision. The rest of my class, predominately African American, verbally displeased and stating their own answers. It made me uncomfortable how quickly, confidently, and proudly they stated their answers. I am only alive because a white man from Indiana came from his state to California and fell in love with my grandmother. That man has done much for me, and his people are my people just as my grandmother's. I refused to forsake a whole group of people to pacify a class and professor and the ordeal left me feeling outside of the campus culture and student body. Over the coming months the distance grew.

Take as many courses as possible in the first three years and really apply all of your energy in those years because you'll be at your sharpest, so that senior year can be a breeze. As a senior, I'm taking an overload of courses while my friends are taking the bare minimum and breezing through senior year.