Howard University

« See more reviews of Howard University

The worst thing about Howard is that the social organizations sometimes overtake the school. A large majority of the students are looking to join fraternities and sororities, and they allow that to control their personalities and what activities they choose to participate in on campus. For example, organizations that do not have Greek affiliations have a harder time finding active members because being involved in the organization will not better that member?s chance of being accepted into a fraternity or sorority.

I hate the way that they distribute scholarships. they base it on finicial need and not merit. i maintain a 3.83 and my parents pay for my sister and my brother's tution. i have to work part-time to helps minimize my students loans so that i can stay in college. too often do i know people who are on academic probation but have a full ride. i wish that the university would take into account that other finances that my parents have to deal with before they deny my request for a grant or scholarship.

The worst thing about Howard is the social aspect of the school, to achieve here will not be just based on your grades but it will be how many "processes" you went through, how many clubs or organizations you are apart of and how many you have gotten excepted into. It is easier said than done because it semms that once you get into certain organizatinos your freshman year, you have the direct pull to get in to all the other you want to get into. Thus making it hard for new people to achieve.

I consider the President's Board of Trustees to be the worst aspect of our school. For example, I am TV Production major and John H. Johnson gave the School of Communications 4 million dollars. We, communication students, have seen no changes in our school nor the equipment and facilities housed within it. Of course the students make due with what we have, but the mismanagement of funds directly affects the students and their survival in the professional world of their chosen field.

Administration! Howard U's admin staff doesn't appear to be on the same page at all times. That is, everyone disseminates different information etc. Although there are many staffers who are willing to help, they are more often than not, unavailable and will have you running around on a wild goose chase. Record keeping is not "solid" either; I have seen HU lose drastically mess up transcripts and mysteriously forget that they offered a student scholarship money/financial aid.

The worst thing about my school is that alot of funds aren't avaiable for well deserving students. Since Howard relies on Endowments and federal aid there isn't much money available to accomodate the needs of it's studets. Once the money is gone it it gone and this happens very quickly. I wish there was a way for more deserving students to get money for their education especially if they are focused, determined, and willing to do anything to pursue higher education.

The worst thing about Howard University is: the availability of and disbursement of true financial aid for the struggling student. By "true financial aid," I am referring to grants, scholarships, and awards that do not require repayment. The cost of tuition continues to be on the rise without no clear plan of how students can defray costs with "true awards." I think the university needs to do a better job of securing this type of aid for its student population.

Howard University is one of the top Historically Black Institution in the United State however like most school it does has its flaws. As a freshman at Howard University i feel as that the school could do better with housing on campus. On campus housing is very difficult at howard leaving many students to go to different universities or others who choose to commute unable to fully expericence the college as a whole. Howard should work on the housing dilema.

The worst thing about my school is that it is very competitive. I wouldnt say being competitive is a bad thing but coming in as a freshman sometimes you can get intimidated by the upperclassmen and therefore restrain yourself from reaching your highest potential. Also my school is very large with almost 10,000 undergrad students so it can be very difficult to find where you belong and where you fit in. You have to get involved and make yourself at home.

The worst thing about the school that I attend is the lack of assistance from the administration buildings. It is very hard to reach those that aork there (even the front desk). When you are finally in contact with someone they usually refuse to let you speak to the people you really need to talk to. Often times the employees at the aid building don't provide any type of relevant answers or suggestions to help whatever your situation might be.