Howard University

« See more reviews of Howard University

Despite many variations in ethnicities, style, sexual preference, interests, and personality traits, I believe any kind of person could attend Howard University. Howard Bison are a peculiar people who share a distinct love for each other, encourage individuality, and achieve their goals and dreams. Moreover, students who attend Howard learn the vitality of public service and success, two qualities that constitute well-rounded individuals. My school has helped transform me into the unparalleled, phenomenal woman I am destined to become. Thus, anyone who is not courageous enough to take chances and truly embrace their authenticity should not attend this school.

Howard University is notorious for its impeccable networking opportunities. A prospective student should be advised good communication skills are required to attend this university. An individual that is introverted, lack communication skills or is anti-social should not attend Howard. Additionally, an individual who lacks organizational skills should not attend Howard University because this institution requires structured planning. Lastly, Howard is often times noted as a competitive university, therefore an individual who procrastinate should consider another institution of higher learning.

Howard University is a Historically Black College or University, so anyone who is not ready to be submerged in a rich African-American based learning environment need not apply. Unlike many other schools where the diversity is mainly between different classes and races of Americans, Howard's diversity is world wide. There are many international students that bring their ideologies, cultures, and experiences to the university which makes it a great networking school for business and medical majors. Someone who does not want to be introduced to many world views should not attend this school.

Do not attend Howard University if your do not like African Studies. All students are required to take at least on African or African American studies class. If you are passionate about Mathematics, do not attend Howard University. Almost every one, including myself, complains that they find the math department lacking in enough teacher and teacher that are dedicated and teach well. Finally, do not attend if you do not mind being a number. Howard over admitts students and classes are so full that some students are not able to get into the classes they want due to filled seats.

I feel that students who do not wish to be well cultured should not attend Howard University. Howard University carries so much history throughout the campus as well as diversity among the students. A student who is interested in attending Howard University must be willing to have an open mind in regards to the many experiences they will face. College is all about finding your niche and making your voice heard. Howard does just that by making various opportunities available to the students for advancement as long as they carry a go-getter attitude and are willing to take them.

The kind of person that should attend Howard University would be one who is willing to learn, become a leader, and expand their horizons. Howard University is not for close minded people. In order to prosper at this institution one has to be open to new people, challenges, and ways of learning. In addition, those afraid of change should not attend Howard University because it is a university that will ultimately change your way of thinking and how you view life. Although change may be frightening for some Howard University instills values in one that is for the better.

I wouldn't suggest this school for somebody who is not a survivor. Howard University is a beastly competitive school in which only the strong can survive. Not only may you face struggles academically and socially, but working with the administration may prove to be a hassle, as well. Anyone who isn't thorough and determined that their plans go accordingly should not apply to this school. Someone who easily gives up or can be broken by a few mishaps, would most likely fair better at a different university.

The kind of person who shouldn't attend this school is someone who is solely focused on schoolwork or their social life. Howard University is for students who can balance both. We complete our work efficiently and play later. Also, if you are an introverted person and don’t want to change that, HU is not the place for you. Knowing people and gaining connections is what students learn the most besides our education. This is a key aspect of the students’ motto because that is how the real world is as well.

I think that if you have never experienced being around large groups of Black students, it is a good place for you; However, if you aren't a social person, it isn't the place for you. I also think that if you have grown up around black people your whole life that you shouldn't go to Howard because you need to experience more cultures. If you are ready to be responsible and handle everything on your own, choose Howard. If you still need help with every detail of your life, you will have a few problems.

If you're not open to meeting new people from all over the world and from all different backgrounds, Howard is not the school for you. There are people from all over the US and all over the country, and Howard is the melting pot for everyone to come together. Everyone has different music, slang, clothes, etc.; it's almost like a culture shock when you first arrive. You can meet so many people that can teach you many things as long as your're open to the idea, so if you're not you'd have a tough time.