Howard University Top Questions

I would give my high school self one piece of advise. which is, " sometimes the key to making progress is to recongize how to take the first step. Then you start your journey. You hope for the best and you stick with it day in and day out. Even if your tired, even if you want to walk away. You dont because you are a pioneer. But nobody ever said it was going to be esay. When theres something you really want, fight for it. Don't give up no matter how hopeless it seems. And when you loose hope ten years from now. Youre gonna wish you gave it one more shot because the best things in life, they dont come free. you might fail..... but but thats what progress looks like a bunch of failures, but dont fall apart because one day you will succeed and one day you will walk on the moon. "

If I can go back in time and have a conversation with myself as a high school senior I would tell her not to relax so much. Yes people say that senior year is suppose to be the easiest which it was, but not to become to relaxed. There are still things to be done, for example, apply for scholarships and make the end of the school year count because in the end all we're left with are memories. Not to mention one day you'll want to become an OB/GYN and that takes endless hours of hardwork and college does not care if you want to take a nap or go home. One thing to keep in mind is that all of the hard work will one day pay off and you can relax a little once you've become that OB/GYN

Ayanna

Knowing what I know now, the best advice I would give my high school senior self is to take a breath. Take a breath, take everything in, and handle things one step at a time. As much as you think you are prepared for college, you will be overwhelmed. Don't worry, you will get the hang of things. Just because you go to class now from 8am-3pm, does not mean you will easily wake up for 8am classes(keep that in mind). Don't be afraid to introduce yourself, you never know who you might meet. Ratemyprofessor.com does not lie, listen to what upperclassman have to say; they've already been through it. Be optimistic, have no limits; and most importantly, DO NOT LET ANYONE STOP YOU FROM BEING GREAT!

Allegra

I would have taken more AP courses in order to be exempt from more classes in college. For the AP classes I did take, I would have done better in them so as to prepare myself for the respective course at the college level. However, this could not be helped for some of my classes were poorly taught at my high school by teachers who did not prepare students well. I would have applied for even more scholarship and put more though into what major I would have pursued.

A few words for myself: Do not let people tell you what to do. Do what you want. Make your own mistakes. But don't regret the things you do, take your mistakes and let them make you better. Do not be afraid of failure. When you fail, fail big and have fun with it. Have no fear. The worst thing that you can do is not do something because you are afraid. Facing your fears is the only way to overcome them. So have no fear.

dominic

If I was able to go back in time and speak to my former self while i was still in HighSchool, the first thing i would tel myself is to study hard. Howard University is the Mother of all HBCU's and we are expected to uphold the stardards that are held for us. I would also tell myself to stay away from the partying becuase in no way shape or form is it benifitial to your future. There is to much competition and opportunities to be worried about partying.

Jazmine

I would tell myself as a senior in high school to continue to live life with no regrets. To trust that everything happens for a reason. To learn more about yourslef before you try to go out and join random organizations. To not procrastinate and waste time. I would tell my past self to really get out and meet new people. Venture out of your comfort zone and explre your surroundings.

It's important to understand how to select a school based on your future career goals as opposed to choosing a school specifically for the "college life." Don't break the bank on student loans just so that you can immerse yourself in a dynamic social atmosphere. Higher educiation is about learning, as opposed to partying. If you're unable to afford the high cost of tuition that accompanies most universities, especially in regard to out-of-state schools, attend a local junior college. Attending a JC for two years might not seem like an ideal scenario, but it will allow you to grow up a bit while also completing all of your lower division credits. Most importantly, it'll help prevent you from acquiring the obtrusive burden of crippling student loan debt. Be active in your community as you prepare to apply for schools and seek out scholarship opportunities. Also, be sure to fill out an annual FAFSA so that you can gain access to potential state and government educational grants. Following these tips won't be easy; life happens. But you'll be on your way to a successful college career if you're able to do so.

If I could go back in time and redo college life, knowing the different things that I know now, I would have done the following: When I graduated high school, I did not have a good foundation in basic math and english. Because of that, I had to start from the bottom and take the beginners college classes as prerequisites to the regular college level classes and it delayed the process for my college career. Had I known, I would have taken the extra math and english courses during my HS senior year, so that way I would have been up to the correct grade level in college. When I started college, I did not know what I wanted to do with my life. It took me some time to figure out which direction I wanted to head in and I also took some extra classes that I did not need for my current master's degree. Looking back, I realized that it may have been beneficial if I would have volunteered my summer time during my high school years in the different job areas, in order to get a taste of what career I would want to pursue in.

Tahirah

If, for any reason, time permitted me to rewind my way to 2012, I would take the moments spent with myself to do a deep breathing exercise while reciting reassuring words into the ears of my younger “me” and reminders to breath; to relax. Seeing firsthand how alarmingly high stress levels are rising amidst high school students, I can only wish that someone was able to pull me aside and calm me down, reminding me that while the acceptance rate at Yale is 4{4a082faed443b016e84c6ea63012b481c58f64867aa2dc62fff66e22ad7dff6c}, there are a multitude of other institutions in which I would blossom. And I would be sure to mention that college should not be stressful, and while there are certainly late nights and midnight coffee runs, college is fun because it is about exploration. It is about taking advantage of the much wider array of organizations and classes and people that each campus has to offer. As teenagers, we grow and change and stretch our minds past what we can imagine at 18, only if we remind ourselves to never let stress overwhelm our experience. I wish I could go back in time and remind myself to relax, so stress did not overwhelm my senior experience.

Assuming I could go back into time and speak to myself as a high school senior, I would tell myself to better prepare myself. College is sooooo much different from high school, therefore there is so much advancing and progression that needs to take place within myself and my habits. You can procrastinate, but it is not recommended whatsoever. There is no such thing as free time. Not to say that you'll be buried in books and homework, but thus there is so much to be apart of and to do on campus aside from your school work, you'll always remain busy. When you're not doing anything, you should be studying. No one is here to push you, because you are no one's true concern. You must put aside the immature things you did as an adolescent in high school and become an adult in college. Though you are a first-time student in college and have time and room for curiousity and mistakes, you can easily avoid many expected mistakes by preapring yourself now. You don't want to be the kid that is enrolled in college, but still acts like a high schooler.

Ja'Mesha

I believe that the most important thing I have learned is to dare to be myself and be on a constant journey to grow. I have learned to constantly evaluate who I am and what I believe and be willing to defend that. Most importantly, I have learned to spend time with myself and not jeopardize my integrity for anything or anyone.

Dear Kimberly: I know that you are eager to attend college and just like your senior prom, PREPARATION IS KEY. Now, let's separate the good from the bad. The good: you are on your way to greatness and only you can define your journey. Make the best of it. Don't be afrad to ask questions and always keep trying after each failure. Failures will come. In the words of Dr. Seuss, “Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You." (And pssst... guess what? Tomorrow and the day after that, you are still you.) College is like your locker--only more organized. There is a lot going on and it is for you to find your way through the clutter. The bad: The "freshman 15" could be for you the "freshman 20" but you're still beautiful and don't you ever forget it. Parties come and parties go. Guess what? Before you there was Soul Train, now there's Amtrak--another train back home in case you forget why mom worked so hard to get you where you are. In essence: Carpe Diem!

Seraiya

All of my life I have pushed myself to give my all to my education. I remember as a high school senior loading myself to the brink with classes and extra-curriculars just so I could "stand out." I also remember the feeling of inner dread that I had while doing it. I always felt like I had something to prove, but I didn't know what. The first piece of advice I would give myself is to look in the mirror, smile at myself and say "You are enough. You are going to succeed. Your passion shows. It is okay to not be what people consider perfect because you did your best and that is always the best you could do." I would still advise myself to give it all that I have, but I would warn myself to be easier on me and to give myself a break sometimes. It is okay to be a regular teenager, it is okay to not know all the answers at that moment, just give yourself time... growth and answers come with time.

Imani

I would tell my high school self to stop doubting yourself and just do it. Every goal you have and everything you want in your life comes with consistency, hard work, and persistence. I would also tell my high school self to work even harder, because you have the enthusiasm and the power to change thw world someday.

Jourdan

I would tell myself not to waste your last year of high school and be more proactive. I would tell myself to take duel-credit course so you wouldn't have to take basic college courses in college. Dont worry about the future ,and be happy with your desicions. Be sure of yourself ,and go with your gut feeling about certain situations.

Tieasha

Do not delay on deciding what it is exactly that you wish to achieve. Have a clear-cut plan with realistic steps that will get you to the position that you are striving to be in. Always remember that doing nothing will get you nowhere; you have to be willing to go the extra mile and work harder than your peers. Network with as many people as possible; only surround yourself around people that have the same mindset as you. Constantly remind yourself why you are doing what you are doing. Find someone (a professor, advisor, classmate, etc) on campus that has similar career goals such as yourself. Complete all work on time and never slack. Remember why you came to college: to graduate and receive a degree. Sure the social life seems fun, but make sure that you have a balance. Commit yourself to studying at least 10 hours per week. Although you may need to possess certain skills in a field, you also need to know someone who can help push you even further. Apply to as many internships as possible and leave a lasting impression on them so that a full-time position is waiting post-graduation!

Daylin

During my senior year in high school I was franticly trying to find a college that would please everyone else instead of me. Many of my classmates were getting accepted to many great colleges across the nation. In my high school you were considered a failure if you didn't get accepted at a prestigious college/university. Now knowing what I know about college life and making the transition I would have spent less time worrying about my social life and dorm rooms and focus more the important things such as the opportunities that the university offer and finding a college where I was sure I could flourish academically and professionally. I would also tell myself not to worry about making everyone else happy, but instead choosing the best decision for me.

Kiera

Dear KIera, I know you would rather be watching tv right now than writing essays, but please apply to as many scholarrships as you can from this point until you go to college. I know yo u don't fully understand the financial process of college and you think that money is just going to magically appear in your account, but I am here to tell you know it doesn't . You are going to have about a $10,000 gap in tuition with less than two months to apply to as many scholarships as posible. Soon, you are going to get a job at Rita's. Keep it. Don't let that boss get to you. Don't quit even when the boss has you in tears. Use this job as an oppotunity to learn and build a thicker skin. You cannot run away from everything that makes youn upset and uncomfortable. Honestly Kiera, the journey to where you are now has been a hard one, but you will be succesful and you will make your family so proud of you. Love, Kiera Onunaku P.S. Enjoy your summer in San Diego before you start college!!

Spencer

If I could provide my high school self with the knowledge that I posess now I would have stressed the necessity of a balanced life. Time management is something that you hear about all the time as a high school senior but when you are actually on campus it is a completely different world. The problem with my personal experience was that there was no transition from high school to college; I did not change my study habits, therefore my grades suffered ridiculously. I went from leaving high school with a 3.5 to receiving grades that I'm ashamed to even speak of. This has hindered so many aspects of my college life, and I had to spend the following semesters catching up just to be able to qualify for scholarships. It was a struggle academically, socially, financially and personally, and I believe that it could have all been easily avoided had I known how to balance things like I do now. I am lucky enough to have learned a lesson that I will never forget and can always use the skills that I acquired along my journey but if I could do things differently I definitely would.

Janessa

I am writing to you from the future to give you a heads up on what’s to come. Its crucial you do not take this letter lightly, as your, or should I say our, entire future may depends on it. First, I’ll start by letting you know that we did in fact get into Howard University as planned. Although, we made it to our dream school, it wasn’t exactly a walk in the park. By this time you are a senior in high school, and things are beginning to distract you from what’s really important. I’m about to warn you that your laziness this year will truly effect our success and any scholarships we may have qualified for in the future. Also, you have procrastinated constantly in the past and that habit will only make college life more difficult for you when it comes to grades, financial aid, and student housing. Trust me when I say you don’t want to be sharing a room with an irresponsible, parting every night, roommate. Therefore, I advise you to work on your study habits and learn to plan more efficiently throughout the rest of this school year.

Semia

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior, I would tell myself to focus more once I get to school. I let my grades slip during my time at Howard, causing me to be suspended from school. After working hard over the summer, I was let back in on appeal. If I could change that, I would. I wouldn't let my grades slip as much because my education is very important to me.

Dear high school Brittany, I am so proud of all that you have accomplished. Take the time to truly recognize the achievements you have made in the last four years, and as you reflect on these achievements remind yourself that you posses qualities that any college or university would love to have in a student. I know you sometimes feel inadequate, but as your future self, trust me when I say you have all that you need to be successful in this world. Do not be afraid to apply to any and every university that you are even remotely interested in. Also remember that money does matter. You do not want to worry about how you're going to pay tuition each year, so choose a school that offers you lots of scholarships and grants. Lastly, take the time find what you're passionate about, it makes choosing a major much easier and will save you the hassel of taking classes that you are not interested in. I know you love having everything planned out, but unfortunately that is not how life works. So enjoy the spontinety of life and trust your instincts. Be Wise, College Brittany

Quianna

Assuming that I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior there are certain things that would have been valuable to know. Knowing what I know now about college life and making the transition I would definitely tell myself to have more fun. I started college thinking that I am not going to party and focus solely on my schoolwork. Schoolwork is important but college is also about the people you meet, and the memories you create with those people. It took me a long time to transition and my freshman year passed me bye. I would also tell myself to take full advantage of my resources. It is very important to talk to your teachers, go to office hours, go to class, and ask questions. College is truly an investment and you want to have a good return.

Bryana

What would I tell a 17 year old, high school senior Bryana? The first thing I would tell myself is that "college is short; life is long." I would not get so consumed with placing all of my energy into my academics. Although this is an important part in of excelling in college, your GPA does not define who you are. Bryana, go to that event you were invited to; take the time out of your schedule to go outside and enjoy the weather; eat that last slice of pizza! Time is too precious not to enjoy every second of it!

Karena

First and foremost, I would tell myself not to major in Biology. I now know that I do not want to pursue a career in medicine and entering college as a Biology major is a waste of time and stress. I would also tell myself to assert myself in more situations. Also, I must tell myself to never register for early classes. As I am discovering who I am more and more, I have found that I am not a morning person. I would tell my high school self to lower my expectations for Howard's on-campus resources.

Liana

Everything will work out fine. There's no need to second guess any decision that you make. Stay confident and trust that God will never lead you into the wrong direction. Be open to your blessings and to engaging in new ventures in life. Be outgoing and let everyone see how great you really are.

Apply for more scholarships and take summer courses befor your freshman year. Make sure you stay focused during freshman year, thats your ticket for entering the world of more scholarships and internship opportunites. Make sure you stay focused, its cliche but its important and necessary. Be open to meeting as many people as possible "your network, detiermines your networth" you're going to hear that alot. But most importantly, give time and attention to the person you will become, chase your dreams, you may feel selfship and quite frankly other people will make you feel bad about, but nobody has to live with the choices that you make but you. So make every single moment and venture count. These four years will go by so fast be open, have fun, but be smart.

I would tell myself, "Do not fear stepping out alone into a world you know nothing about because you will find your place in it. Make the most of your high school experience because that'll be the last time you get to be carefree. Once you go to college, everything you do is preparing you to be competitive in a struggling job market; your future depends on it. Learn to network, find your voice because college will teach you that it's not always what you know, but who you know. Polish your communication skills and character because that, alone, can open so many doors for you. Realize your potential, and what you can offer the world, and manifest it. Be an individual and understand that every decision you make will only help or hinder you; don't always follow the crowd becuase they could all be wrong. Be active on campus, work aggressively, and, most importantly, go to class. Be prepared to deal with many different personalities because sometimes you'll need those same people to achieve something. May the odds be ever in your favor."

I would tell myself to think about the things that I want to do for fun and with my life. I should look for as many new experiences as possible and be open to meeting others. Not just being open, but be comfortable with my interests and intently work to meet new people. Also, decide on the things I want to do and stick with them instead of splitting my focus to too many things.

The best advice I would give to myself as a high school senior is DON'T BE YOURSELF. I know you are probably thinking, what type of advice is that? All we hear growing up is "Just be yourself and everything will work out just fine". Well, what happens when being yourself doesn't yield the results you want? YOU change YOU. Now by changing you I don't mean change the core of who you are. What I'm simply suggesting is that sometimes we have to reevaluate some of our ways, thoughts, and actions in order to adapt to a new environment. Transitioning from high school to college was a hard time for me because I was moving to a completely new place I had never even visited and left all of my friends and family behind. I was always a quiet, shy person but somehow I managed to make friends in high school. However, college was a totally new dynamic and quite frankly very intimidating. The fact that it took me a very long time to break out of my shell and comfort zone hindered my college experience. So that's my advice: DON'T BE YOURSELF!

If i could go back to my senior year i would tell myself 3 important things. First, to really cherrish enjoy the time spent with my friends. I always hung out with my friends with high school everyday, it became a routine that i didnt prepare for an ending. After graduation my friends and I all went our separate ways and it was hard adjusting to not seeing them every moment of the day. It didn't dawn on me until later on in my freshmen year that i needed to reminisce on our memories to get me through the next chapter in my life. The next thing i would tell my senior self is to apply for endless scholarships. Paying for college is not easy, and it doesn't hit you until your actually in college adding up all the expenses. There are a lot of people out here willing to invest in students futures you just have to search them out. The last thing i would say is to think of college and graduating as a fresh start to a new world and to approach it with a big mind and open heart!

Amirah

I would tell myself to get on the computer and immediately start researching scholarships and looking more in depth into the universities on my list about their administration and financial aid processes. I made the mistake of making my bed too early thinking that a high GPA, challenging course load and an acceptable resume would fill out all scholarship applications for me. I also made the mistake of not double checking with the college of my choice on how they handled financial aid and freshman scholarship incentives, which resulted in a huge financial set back many months later, forcing me to leave in the middle of my first freshman semester with no records. It left me only able to work until I could save up enough money and head back to square one all over again as a freshman a year later. I would tell myself that where you are happy and feel that you are meant to be is where you will thrive and knowing takes experiences, good and bad. Lastly, I would say tuition is not cheap, so take all the knowledge and advice you can from your professors and anyone inspiring you meet along the way.

Darrell

There are three key things I would tell myself before leaving for school... 1) Remember why you are in school 2) Communicate 3) Have fun 1) When first getting to school you can get distracted by being indepent, away from mom and dad. You have stay focus and remember that you are there to learn and graduate. That your future depends on what you do for these 4 to 5 years. Never lose sight of your goals. 2) If you need help do not be afraid or to proud to ask for it. At school there are professors and advisors that are willing to help you with anything, you just have to ask. " A closed mouth does not get fed" a quote that mom told that I have put into practice a lot since I left for school. 3) College is supposed to be the best time of your life. You are finding yourself, becoming idependent and learning with others who want the same thing as you. To be successful. School will have its moments when it will be very challenging, just take a breath, relax and know that you are making something of yourself. Be happy about it.

Lexiss

Dear Lexiss, You have finally made it to senior year! Can you believe it? Not only have you maintained an excellent GPA, you have faced the daunting task of applying to college. It seems like the hard part is over. But it is just the beginning. Always remember that you are intelligent; college will test you physically and emotionally. Challenges may attempt to bloom. You may let them. Sleep may become a figment of your imagination. You may get tired of the food. You may never want to get up for that 8:10 class. You may have too much pride to ask your professor for help. You may want to skip that club meeting. However, you will do all that you can do to showcase your intelligence, campus/community involvement, and most of all YOU. Stay true to yourself. Study even if it means you lose hours of sleep. Do not procrastinate. It will stress you out. Be an internal push for yourself. Showcase the wonderful person that will be cultivating on the grounds of your university. You will be walking across that stage again in four years like a fresh pearl, radiant and ready for the world.

Indera

College has been an eye-opening experience for me. In college, I've been taken out of my comfort zone and placed into an entirely new world. Coming into college, no one told me what to expect; everyone I talked to only told me that I would "love" college, but they didn't tell me how much of an adjustment college is. If I had the opportunity to talk to myself as a high school senior I would tell myself to start learning time management early. I've learned that time management is essential. as a college student. Not managing my time efficiently is one of the leading causes of stress for me as a college student. I would also tell myself to prioritize and to develop a time schedule to better help priortize my days. Moreover, I would tell myself not to spread myself too thin. Don't try to be a part of everything. Simply stick to one or two activities and commit yourself completely. Lastly, I would tell myself not to remain disciplined. A strong work ethic and adherence to your beliefs and values will be your guiding light throughout school.

Knowing what I know now, I would explain to my high school self that self-esteem is the most beautiful attribute that any one, especially any young lady, could possess. Without confidence, you will continue to feel "ugly" and uncomfortable in your own skin. I would also explain that God made you the way that you are for a reason and do not let anyone tell you differently. Also, study harder for the SATs and ACTs so that you can receive the Legacy Scholarship at Howard University.

Amundsen

If I havea chance to go back in time I will talk to myself that I want to take college class that the allowed and finish in high school and study hard to past the class because college class and school fee cost more then when you take it in high school. I will do anything to get in high school so I don't have to pay alot in college school year and try my best to get in every program that I could get in and get helped.

I would tell myself to plan for college. Take the ACT more than once and be committed to my studies. Don't just take easy classes, but ones that challenge you. Get a part-time job after school and save your money to help pay for college. Don't just blow it, or at least not all of it. Be involved in an activity at school whether that is music, sports, drama or something else. It is good for you socially and mentally and you may be eligible for more scholarships. Apply for schoalrships starting your junior year. There are a ton of them out there and it is to your advantage to look for them. Look at the differences between a 2 year and 4 year college. Take a career interests survey or test if you are not sure what you want to do. Overall, be studious and resourceful. You never know what opportunities you may have if you don't look for them. Surround yourself with positive people and those that will help you achieve your dreams. Get to know your teachers they may have knowledge you never would have known otherwise.

Toure

Things always look differently in hindsight than in the moment. It’s almost as if you should have been able to predict what would happen if you signed up for that 8 a.m. class instead of the 10 a.m., if you sat at one table versus another in the dining hall, if you studied abroad somewhere a bit more exotic than Europe. As I look back there are a few things I wish I would have known:•Go to class! College isn’t that hard if you actually, you know, show up! •Relax a bit and enjoy the moment. Study hard, but also say yes to opportunities that take you out of your comfort zone. You never know where exploration will take you.•Trust your instincts•Ask for help when needed•Sometimes people DO have my best interests in mind; they're not trying to hurt me.

I would tell myself that you need to pay attention study harder that there will be hard times in college and that we will have plenty time to goof off after we get through high school and college and I would have told myself to get a tutor so math wouldn't have been so hard for me but I did it with some struggling don't ruin your life by goofing off apply yourself to your studies and get your career so that you will be ahead instead of being under debt for half your life .

Jestin

Learn how to manage your time better, and stop being lazy. College is no place to be lazy because the classes you have are a lot harder. You have a lot more free time in college but use that free time to go over class work and study. The schedule in high school is way different from the schedule in college. Please be aware of all the activities on campus as well get involved with dance teams, your majors club, and state club.

If i could go back in time and talk to my highschool self, I would definitely take my work more seriously. I was a great student in high school when it came down to being interactive in class and makeing great grades on test. However, I only learned what I felt I needed to know for my test, or crammed information I wasnt really interested in, so that I could do well on the test. With that being the case, I only remember the information for the test, and I would forget the information afterwards. From college, I have been able to realize that it is nothing but a deeper recap or advancement of what you have already learned in highschool. If I could do it all over, I would defeinitely find and interst in the information I learned in my highschool classes and use it to make me abetter, less stressed college student. It would all be a recap instead of a deep study.

If I could go back and talk to myself as a high school senior I'd probably tell myself a few things. First thing i'd tell myself if to be fearless,not every move needs to be carefully calculated because many opportunities are missed when one obsesses over waiting for the perfect time/circumstances. The second thing I'd tell myself is that the only person responsible for my education and life is ME. It is my responsibility to ask questions,ask for guidance,go out and get those scholarships and to wake up early in the morning and go to class motivated every day. Third I'd tell myself is to don't be afraid of failing. The greatest life experiences comes from "failing",having the resilience to persevere with confidence is where lies your tools for growth. I call those blessings in disguise and when you are able to look back and see your growth is when you'll experience maturity blossoming like a flower. Lastly I'd tell myself to LIVE,LAUGH and FEEL,soak up every moment because you'll never get yesterday back. Don't get too caught up daydreaming.

If I had the chance to go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior, I would tell myself everything that you do not learn in high school as a senior. To start off, I would tell myself that when you go away to school, your parents will not be watching your every move. This means that you have to be aware of your surroundings at all times and sometimes a little paranoria is a good thing. When you are adjusting to a new school and environment, there will always be people who are willing to help you get adjusted. Whenever you have questions, do not be afraid to ask someone because not asking might cause you to remain confused for a while. This holds true for your academic experience as well. If you ever have questions about anything in your classes, do not hesistate to discuss the matter with them. The professors will not know how they can help you if you do not get to know them. Professors like teaching students who show interest and genuinely want to succeed in their academia. Remember to always put forth maximum effort to get the maximum results.

blake

The most important thing I could tell my high school self is to relax. At the time I wanted to rush to graduate and conquer the world, but I just needed someone to tell me to calm down. The world isn’t going anywhere, I hope, and there will be plenty of time to grow up later. I thought I was more mature academically than I really was, so I rushed into classes and it just came back to bite me. I took sophomore level courses to try and get ahead in my degree and it turned out that I wasn’t near ready enough. I had taken the easy way out in high school. I was the typical jock who thought that being a football player in high school would carry me all the way through schooling. I couldn’t have been more wrong. Taking the easy classes in high school didn’t help me prepare for college one bit. If I could write a letter to myself in high school I would force myself to take AP classes. As hard as they seem at the time they pay off so much more in helping students prepare for college.

As a high school senior, all i was focused on was graduating and getting out of high school. Education wasnt on top of my priority list as it should have been . I passed all of my high school classes, but i did not complete them to my highest potential. If i knew then what i know now, i would tell myself that taking the short cut and slacking is not the answer because in college if you follow that same path, you dont acquire the college level skill of learning, therefore being detrimental to your grade. Studying, taking notes, brain storming, outlining, and reading are things that i didnt usually take the time to do in high school, and when i entered my first semester in college it was a culture shock to me seeing alot of other students constantly doing that for lectures, tests and essay prepping. Being in my 4th semester of college i have adapted to those skills which have helped me essentially become a better student. If i would have done any of those things in high school, then i would have done alot better than i did. I should have prioritized better in high school.

Edeline

College isnt as easy as you thought it would be, but just trust God and keep pushing. Oh! Also enter as an undecided major because that will actually save you a lot of wasted time, and keep you from changing your major during SENIOR year.

Ti'Erra

Hey Tierra, it's me, your conscious. You are a beautiful girl and you shoud not let anyone tell you different. You are about to embark on an opportunity of a lifetime and you shouldn't be afraid to take this risk. Yeah, you're going to miss your family, but you have to make this decision for them. It is important that you take this opportunity to continue your education so that you can provide a better future for yourself and your family. Don't let your college experience be like the ones you had in high school. No longer should you wait til the last minute to do an assignment because procrastination is not an option for the level of success you are trying to achieve. Never choose a social life over your grades because every minute you spend studying counts. Most importantly, always remember who you are and what you stand for. You are going to college for one reason and that is to receive a quality education, don't mess it up! I Love You

Tayler

I would tell myself to do well enough in high school so that you wont have to worry about paying for college. I would also tell myself to never give up, and stay postitive throughout every situation; always be a leader, and go for what you want; anything you put your mind to, you can do it. There are many opportunites that are offered to college students, but they are not handed to you, go out and get them. The last thing I would tell myself is to experience everything possible and enjoy life, while maintaining your academics.