Howard University

« See more reviews of Howard University

The most frustrating thing about Howard University is the lack of consideration for the students. From unreasonable cafeteria hours to incredibly last minute communication, Howard has repeatedly shown that student morale and wellbeing is not a priority. One major example of this is the failure to put down proper materials to prevent thte freezing of precipitation on campus. After one snow, the walkways of both the Upper and Lower Quadrangles were completely frozen over as students trekked to class. This was a very hazardous situation, as many students and professors slipped and fell.

The most frustrating thing about Howard University is without a doubt, registration. Registering for classes is almost as hard as staying in to study on a Saturday night when everyone's partying, but at the end of the day it's something you have to do. Registration is difficult because of the lack of space in classes so as a freshman the classes you need, often fill fast. While most of the students here can agree, they love the close and interactive environment of a small classroom when it comes time to register it is what we hate the most.

The most frustrating aspect of my college is the small amount of money available for students in need of financial help, or even for students who just meet the requirements for scholarships but still do not get them. Many students are losing their validation because of the limited monetary resources. Also though many of us are able to pay our tuition, it is still a strain for our families to keep up with all of the little charges that seem to constantly show up. Even the smallest amount would be greatly appreciated to any Howard student.

From the outside Howard University almost looks like a metropolis, a utopia for the most elite and well driven african americans and other minorities and although there is no perfect college, there are plenty of faulty things that one will see though the years of attendance at howard. For one, communications between the student body and the school can somewhat be hastle at times, and secondly dealing with fanancial aid and student benefits is tough as well. Money, money, money is the name of the game here on my campus.

The most frustrating thing about Howard University is financial aid. I know that almost all students will have their individual problems about financial situations, but I wish they were nicer about it. I am sitting in my dorm room right now for another defeated day with financial aid and I have no idea how I will get the money to stay here, but I just wake up in the morning and try again hoping that maybe something good will come through because even though I am a dependent the parents just dont want to help.

The most frustrating thing about my school is the horrible administration. The faculty is not helpful with the most important aspects of college, such as, financial aid. This past year numerous students protested against the Administration Building for being inadequate and unfortunately not processing their financial aid in a timely fashion. The poor conduct of the Administration forced many students to drop out because they were unable to pay for their classes due to their financial aid not being processed.

The most frustrating thing about Howard University is the Administration. In order to ensure that one's grades, money, and records are correct and up-to-date, one must practically hound the Administration Building's employees. This may be the case at alot of other schools and many people may argue that mediocrity from others teaches us to be more punctual and attentive. However, the Administration Building's mediocrity is still a major issue and many students complain and even protest the building.

The most frustrating situation I have experienced at Howard University is the registration process. I advise all of the students to make copies of their financial documents and their class schedule. Try to pay your tuition and register for your classes before the next semester begins. The lines are extremely long in the Student Accts. department and if you wait too late to register for your classes you will have to hunt down the academic advisor to approve an override.

What frustrates me the most is the Financial Aid, Counseling Center, and tuition faculty. They are very slow and disorganized and even sometimes forgetful. They tend to lose a lot of your papers which is quite annoying because I have to copy every document given to me and make sure I have a receipt. Their lack of organization and structure causes many students with no housing, late payment of financial aid, and sometimes transfer students credits do no always transfer.

The most frustrating thing about my school is the fact the the administration and its members are not 100% willing to try to do anything that they can to help students in their time of need (i.e. financial aid, registration, etc). I feel as though they are unorganized and sometimes even nonchalant about the requests of the students. They prefer to give students the "run-around" in some situations which has definitely caused mental and sometimes physical distress.