Howard University

« See more reviews of Howard University

There are a few things i wish I knew about college life that I did not know before I started attending this school. The first thing would be how I was going to pay for school. It has been a bit of a struggle so far trying to pay for school and everything else and I feel that it has hendered my grades so far. I also wish I knew how much more I would have had to work to keep up my grades. I was not fully prepared because I have not had to work as hard before.

I truly appreciated my college experience, but I wish I was prepared financially. I took out over 90k in student loans to cover this elite school but soon after graduation I found that I couldn't find a job that would pay me nearly enough of what it costs to stay current. My student loan bills are over 1000 per month! I wish I'd known that if I didn't get a scholarship initially that if I worked hard I could earn a full ride in subsequent years.

I wish I knew more about the school financially and difficulty in obtaining financial aid from the university. I wish I prepared myself to enter a school that doesn't completely help their students in paying for their education nor with other educational aspects. I believe the school could do a lot more in at least assisting students in need of help instead of turning them away or having them go all over campus for a simple answer.

Before I had arrived to Howard University I wish that I would have known how easy it was to lose focus on the reason you came to school- to get an education. One of Howard's greatest aspects is it's social life, and between the endless parties and social gatherings (on and off campus), it's very easy to lose sight in your goals and begin to skip classes to sleep because you stayed out too late, or couldn't finish your work.

i wish i had known what i really wanted to do in life because in recently switched majors and reliazed that i mssed out on alot of bonding and friends ships i could have made with people my freshmen because the program i wanted to be in was a group -focused program. i have friends who went through and claim that they learned so much and it made me feel empty because i know i can not go back and participate with them.

I wish I would have known about several scholarships/fellowship programs. I borrowed a substantial amount of money to fund my education and I want to avoid burrying myself in debt. I worked for Verizon as a Software Engineer but I wish I wouldve considered one of the federal agencies after I graduated from Howard. Most federal agencies forgive student loans ($10k per year) based on your tenure.

I wish I had known to apply for financial aid earlier on in the year. Even if you qualify for a certain amount of aid, you still may not recieve the full amount if you had applied too late. Funds tend to dry up qiuckly, especially with a large student body. I wish i had known to decide on a major first on when applying, as more scholarships are available to those who have declared a major.

Approach the undergraduate experience with an open mind. Realize that you are an individual and your experience will not be the same as everyone else’s. Furthermore, you must respect the diversity you will soon encounter because it allows you to understand life from many perspectives, which gives you a deeper understanding of people. Give yourself space and time to live, learn, and grow.

I wish I had known that academic plans don't have to be set in stone. For my first two years, I was not only obssessed with graduating on time, but having the "right degree," and no such thing exists. College is supposed to be a great experience, and if you are passionate about something, you will be successful, because you're going to devote a great deal of your time to it.

I would have to admit, before coming to Howard I thought classes we be easy, but that opinon would soon change. Now becaue I am a Biology major i have a passion to learn Bio, but high school Biology is completely different then high school biology. Before coming it would have beennice if someone tod what exsperience i was in for as a science major.