Howard University

« See more reviews of Howard University

I think Howard is a very unique campus, unique in obvious ways and ways not so obvious. First off, Howard is very unique, because it is a place of higher learning that is comprised of over 85 percent Black people. Being at a university where you are surrounded by outstanding, well educated Black individuals makes the campus one of a kind. Howard is also unique when it comes to the overall experience of the university. On Howard’s campus you will encounter a wide range of individuals, who are talented in all areas of the political, social, and media world, making the campus a very exciting and surprising place to be. The campus has a new protest, concert, play, dance competition, fundraiser, community event every week, and it is safe to say there is never a dull moment on Howard’s campus. There are many traditional and untraditional traditions on Howard’s campus. Some of the traditional traditions include Howard University Homecoming, and it’s annual events (Fashion Show, Step Show, Yardfest etc.), ResFest(spring competition between school dorms), Commencement, and many more. Some of the untraditional traditions are traditions that are among the students, such as the first day of spring where all the students go and hang out on the yard all day, and university wide snowball fights on the first snowfall of winter. To put it as simply as I possibly can, the reason I feel Howard stands out is because it is a rare university full of brilliant African Americans who can have fun, and celebrate their Black culture, but at the same time the students are intelligent and working to better the community and Black community.

The best thing about Howard is the student body. The students truly make the University. We are an international university with people coming on visa's from Africa, the Caribbean, and I even had two students in my class this year from Europe. Everyone here embraces the uniqueness that everyone else brings to this campus and we make the best out of it. We have so many different organizations that showcase different talents in so many different ways its hard to keep up with it. Even at the radio station, we have to keep our programming diverse because we don't have a typical listener or a standard student body. There is no one place in the world that is like Howard, its something that you just have to experience to truly understand how unique it is.

The very best thing about Howard University is that it continually motivates its students to succeed. Many of the Howard alumni undoubtedly excel in their specific professions and are always eager to lend a helping hand to current students. Others, such as Frederick Douglas and Mary McLeod Bethune, are historic icons in the African American community and give current students strong hope for the future. Furthermore, the Howard faculty and students work cohesively to ensure the University's continued success. Howard University Bison, who are alumni, students, and faculty, comprise a genuine, unconditional love for both the University and themselves.

Howard University has numerous opportunities for any student despite their major or classification. Also, these chances are being offered to African-American students who not only deserve these experiences, but work diligently to make their future a better one for themselves. For example, the School of Business establishes career fairs, CPD's (Center for Personal Development) and other events alongside huge, well-known companies such as Chrysler, Johnson & Johnson, PricewaterhouseCoopers and more. At the end of the day, Howard University provides the tools that we need to become an asset and to achieve our goals.

At Howard University, there is a legacy and spirit that is prominent through the campus. The spirit of diligence, dedication and determination can be felt and seen by the students and staff at my school. The legacy of not only excellence of African Americans but also other minorities has been left. The best thing about my school is the positive and fun interactions that take place around campus which contributes to the enjoyment and overall learning experiences a student can have. Not only a degree, but treasured memories are obtained for many have attended or attending Howard University today.

The best thing about Howard is its great diversity amongst the students. I enjoy being immersed in a pool of diverse individuals. The school looks like a predominantly African American school, but in reality there are so many different backgrounds here; students come from all over the world such as, different islands (Jamaica, Haiti, Virgin Islands) to different continents Saudi Arabia and Africa. You never know who you're looking at, or where they're from and the most "American" looking people will have thick ascents when they begin to speak! I love meeting people from all over the world!

The things I consider best about my school are the opportunities available for students to network with each other and people who are in the work field that have experience with what students are interested in. Also, I Iike that at Howard, no one is like the next person. Everyone dresses in their own unique style and carries themselves differently. Another thing I like about Howard is that schools within the university try to provide students with opportunities for internships and hands on experience within their major. Adapting to the Howard lifestyle is also easy to do.

I cannot limit this answer to one item. I would have to say the various organizations available and the academic life. Howard has over 50 organizations, ranging from sororities, to language clubs, and everything in between. When you find yourself having too much free time, look into the various clubs and organizations on campus, and see what catches your eye. I guarantee that that there is a club or organization that will everyone's interest. The academic aspect has definitely taught me to use all of the available resources on campus and to always aspire to learn more.

I love that my school is an Historicall Black College or University and is still more culturally open and diverse than my predominantly white high school. Our school has students from many countries around the world and it is exciting to be a part of the cultural salad. I also enjoy the way teachers and students are able to interact like adults. The classrooms often have open and deep conversations that draw from so many different perspectives. There is an openness to be oneself and respect for those who do not conform to certain political, social, and cultural molds.

The real HU culture cannot be compared with any other university. The traditions, the speakings, the students, the professors, and the famous homecoming just cannot compare to any experience in the world. Howard University has many accomplishments. It is the only University in the United States that has graduating African American students with a PH.D. It is a unveristy that prides on its history. Everyday is an experience. Everyday is another opportunity to not just learn about the black culture but a chance to become part of the great Bison culture.