Howard University Top Questions

dominic

They brother and sisterhood we all share

The best thing about Howard University is the school's dedication to educating African American students about their history and culture. I believe this is the best thing about Howard because having a strong undertanding and appreciation for one's history and culture creates a strong foundation and understanding of oneself. Without this foundation and confidence it is almost impossible to be successful in the world today. It is for this reason that I believe this is the best thing about Howard University.

Monica

Variety of peole from all over the world.

Brianna

The best thing about Howard is the cultural awareness it provides you with and the strong network you attain over time.

BreaElaine

The Business school at Howard does have a great reputation for getting students job offers their senior year of college. For most of us it is with a company that we have already been interning with through Howard. They give us a lot of opportunites to bond with some of the corporate sponsors so that we are able to build a business relationship.

Amber

The best thing about my school is the historical grounds on and off campus. My school is located in the nations capital and is home to many influential figures in our world today. The other thing would have to be the warm and loving hearts and spirits of each indiviual at Howard. Howard is home to many outside students and faculty that bring a bit of americas diversity into one.

Toure

THe legacy of attending Howard University.

Shannon

The best thing about my school the legacy of greatness this school produces. Alum like Thurgood Marshall, Debbie Allen,literary legend Toni Morrison,Zora Neale Hurston,or Mrs. Huxtable Tony Award winning actress herself Phylicia Rashad. The list goes on but it's nostalgic to walk the same halls as such men and women of excellence,it gives us all as a student body a sense of purpose. I'm good friends with Amiri Baraka's grand daughter,the 9 fraternities and sororities that men and women all over the world are now apart of started here! I'm next.

Danielle

I cannot limit this answer to one item. I would have to say the various organizations available and the academic life. Howard has over 50 organizations, ranging from sororities, to language clubs, and everything in between. When you find yourself having too much free time, look into the various clubs and organizations on campus, and see what catches your eye. I guarantee that that there is a club or organization that will everyone's interest. The academic aspect has definitely taught me to use all of the available resources on campus and to always aspire to learn more.

Edeline

The best thing about Howard University is definitely the sense of togetherness. Although the university is not perfect, the students join together and work through what ever issues there may be. I have students hold countless protests or fundraisers to help their peers find housing or raise enough money to come back to school. Howard University students love Howard, which in turn shows in the way we interact with each other.

Tanjeria

The best thing about Howard is all the opportunities it provides. The opportunities given are unique to the school and help students get one step closer to their dream life. For instance, the business school partners with many corporate companies helping students make those career connections needed. Plus, D.C. is a great city for fun and business alike. Also, Howard helps shine a bright light on minority students.

Kyaira

The best thing about my school its location. Washington D.C is a very resourceful and diverse place to be. You have the opportunity to meet with many powerful and inspiring people in D.C. Additional bonuses of living in D.C include the famous architecture, the many free events that are thrown, and also the unlimited amount of free museums that they have. Washington is just an overall great place and I am glad that when I am not on campus studying in the school, I have the opportunity to go out and immerse myself in that culture.

Shantel

I would consider the sense of family is the best thing about my school. Whether you're on campus or back in your hometown, once an alumi notices you go to Howard, you are instantly connected. We are like a dysfunctional family, we are the only one who can say anything bad about Howard. If anyone else tries, we back each other up and show everyone else they are wrong about what they think.

Caira

The best thing about my school is the dorms. They're clean and spacious and the staff are very welcoming and polite.

tameka

The real HU culture cannot be compared with any other university. The traditions, the speakings, the students, the professors, and the famous homecoming just cannot compare to any experience in the world. Howard University has many accomplishments. It is the only University in the United States that has graduating African American students with a PH.D. It is a unveristy that prides on its history. Everyday is an experience. Everyday is another opportunity to not just learn about the black culture but a chance to become part of the great Bison culture.

Draylon

Howard University has numerous opportunities for any student despite their major or classification. Also, these chances are being offered to African-American students who not only deserve these experiences, but work diligently to make their future a better one for themselves. For example, the School of Business establishes career fairs, CPD's (Center for Personal Development) and other events alongside huge, well-known companies such as Chrysler, Johnson & Johnson, PricewaterhouseCoopers and more. At the end of the day, Howard University provides the tools that we need to become an asset and to achieve our goals.

Angel

At Howard University, there is a legacy and spirit that is prominent through the campus. The spirit of diligence, dedication and determination can be felt and seen by the students and staff at my school. The legacy of not only excellence of African Americans but also other minorities has been left. The best thing about my school is the positive and fun interactions that take place around campus which contributes to the enjoyment and overall learning experiences a student can have. Not only a degree, but treasured memories are obtained for many have attended or attending Howard University today.

Rosa

I love that my school is an Historicall Black College or University and is still more culturally open and diverse than my predominantly white high school. Our school has students from many countries around the world and it is exciting to be a part of the cultural salad. I also enjoy the way teachers and students are able to interact like adults. The classrooms often have open and deep conversations that draw from so many different perspectives. There is an openness to be oneself and respect for those who do not conform to certain political, social, and cultural molds.

Ebony

The very best thing about Howard University is that it continually motivates its students to succeed. Many of the Howard alumni undoubtedly excel in their specific professions and are always eager to lend a helping hand to current students. Others, such as Frederick Douglas and Mary McLeod Bethune, are historic icons in the African American community and give current students strong hope for the future. Furthermore, the Howard faculty and students work cohesively to ensure the University's continued success. Howard University Bison, who are alumni, students, and faculty, comprise a genuine, unconditional love for both the University and themselves.

Chanel

The best thing about my school is definitely the people. There is so much diversity in culture, ethnicity, and even religion. It is a great place to meet people and get to know how to work with all types of people.

Briana

The best thing about my school is the passion carried for the student’s success. My mind is constantly blown away by the encouraging words that my professor’s have expressed to my classmates and myself. To hear such inspirational advice only makes me appreciate my time at Howard University and pushes me to work even harder to be as helpful as them when I complete my education. Howard University increases my ambition to succeed, do great things for my community, and have as huge an impact on someone’s life as my college experiences have had on myself.

John

Howard is usually on the front lines when it comes to Political and Civil Rights activism (Jena 6, Troy Davis, the 2008 Presidential Election, etc)

Aline

Howard's social and the student's drive to be successful and to present themselves as a brand is contagious. Everyone is well dressed everyday, no sweats here! It really is what you make it.

Taylor

Legacy!

Kiah

I love the diversity of the students even though we are an HBCU. I learn so much from everyone and I love it being located in a major city. I come from the suburbs so I enjoy being in an upbeat city like DC with so much culture and history! I learn so much as well with my classes. Earning a 4.0 this year, I learned how to prioritize and balance my hectic schedule along with knowing when to say NO to joining different organizations and clubs on campus.

Oneil

I consider the bestthing about Howard University to be the social aspect of the school. The school provides the greatest opportunities to meet many different peole from all parts of the world and people with different stories. I feel that this will take the students further in their future than any of the coursework will. I think that the things that the students have to go through will help them get to where they want to be in life. The students still get the proper education and have learned much from social events to help them get an edge.

Jeovane

Howard University is very much like a family. The pride that the students possess for their school is unlike that of any other college I've seen thus far. I love the diversity of the campus despite the fact that it is an HBCU. But most importantly I loved the experience ; I honestly believe there's no other college for me outside of Howard University.

Darrian

I think Howard is a very unique campus, unique in obvious ways and ways not so obvious. First off, Howard is very unique, because it is a place of higher learning that is comprised of over 85 percent Black people. Being at a university where you are surrounded by outstanding, well educated Black individuals makes the campus one of a kind. Howard is also unique when it comes to the overall experience of the university. On Howard’s campus you will encounter a wide range of individuals, who are talented in all areas of the political, social, and media world, making the campus a very exciting and surprising place to be. The campus has a new protest, concert, play, dance competition, fundraiser, community event every week, and it is safe to say there is never a dull moment on Howard’s campus. There are many traditional and untraditional traditions on Howard’s campus. Some of the traditional traditions include Howard University Homecoming, and it’s annual events (Fashion Show, Step Show, Yardfest etc.), ResFest(spring competition between school dorms), Commencement, and many more. Some of the untraditional traditions are traditions that are among the students, such as the first day of spring where all the students go and hang out on the yard all day, and university wide snowball fights on the first snowfall of winter. To put it as simply as I possibly can, the reason I feel Howard stands out is because it is a rare university full of brilliant African Americans who can have fun, and celebrate their Black culture, but at the same time the students are intelligent and working to better the community and Black community.

Lauren-Nikai

The best thing about Howard is the student body. The students truly make the University. We are an international university with people coming on visa's from Africa, the Caribbean, and I even had two students in my class this year from Europe. Everyone here embraces the uniqueness that everyone else brings to this campus and we make the best out of it. We have so many different organizations that showcase different talents in so many different ways its hard to keep up with it. Even at the radio station, we have to keep our programming diverse because we don't have a typical listener or a standard student body. There is no one place in the world that is like Howard, its something that you just have to experience to truly understand how unique it is.

Kisa

Being encompassed in a historical black university, I would consider the culture to be the best aspect of my school because discussions/lectures generally include African ancestors and history to illustrate the strength needed to gain their achievements. In addition to that, it reminds the black community of the responsibilities and dreams we have to uphold.

Phathom

The classes are small, about the size of an average high school classs. This allows students to not only engage more with one another, but to also engage with the professor. you will know your professor and they will know you.

Mobosola

The pride you have as a Howard university student becomes a part of you as an individual. We have a common bond no matter what backround we come from. The diversity you see ,even though we are a Historically Black University, is amazining. People from literally all over the country and world. Different cultures, religions, struggles and outlooks on life. Another thing I love about Howard is that alot of schools tell you that the world is yours and there is nothing you can't do, but Howard university shows you that.

taneshia

The best thing abolut my schoo is the social experience because it opens your world to so many new things.

chelsea

The best thing about my school is that it breeds so many succesful African American leaders. This is a place where you can see people, like you, who want to go on and do great thigs in our world. It's such an inspiration to know that I go to a university with such a rich legacy.

Danyelle

One of the best things about my school is that everyone is very sociable. A prospective student can get connected to people who can potentially help pave the way to their success in the future. Howard University is a school full of networking. You have to be sociable and network in order to get the connects you may need later in life.

Sahara

The best thing about my school is the networking opportunites. Our many alumnus often come back to the school to encourage and support us to do well so we can get high paying jobs and continue the Howard Legacy. They also are very generous with internship and job opportunities.

Taj

The best thing about my school is the close relationship that a student could have with a professor. Most of the classes are small and it is easier to learn and get to really know your teachers.

Caije

My school is located in Washington, DC, the pulse of the nation. This is where decisions that impact our country and even most countries globally are made. My school, to me is a great representation of the global community in which we all live. Both our faculty and student body are mad up of individuals with ties to all corners of the globe. This diversity helps us in being more accepting of each other's culture.

Colleen

Opportunity. It exist here. No matter who you know or where you are from, the opportunity to improve your life after graduation. And along the way, you have the

The best thing about Howard is its great diversity amongst the students. I enjoy being immersed in a pool of diverse individuals. The school looks like a predominantly African American school, but in reality there are so many different backgrounds here; students come from all over the world such as, different islands (Jamaica, Haiti, Virgin Islands) to different continents Saudi Arabia and Africa. You never know who you're looking at, or where they're from and the most "American" looking people will have thick ascents when they begin to speak! I love meeting people from all over the world!

abasi

The best thing about my school is the solidarity among the people of my own ethnicity. In being a young black male i am aware and emersed in the problems of the youth. It is often difficult to be great when negavity is prevalent. Seeing like minded people with aspirations and drive is a positive inspiration in any demographic playing field. It is an honor to be a part of and pay homage to this distinguished historical institute. Howard University has given many people the tools to succed and i believe it will provide me with the same.

Tyesha

The best thing about my school is that it focuses on current events that are going on within the world. At times, class discussions are centered around those events without missing out on the classroom cirruculum too often.

The best thing about my school is that not matter what problem you have there's always someone you can talk to whether its a student, faculty member or administrator. Also there are so many oppurtunities to do whatever you want to do. You just have to ask someone, and they'll help you reach your goals.

Chanel

Learning the diversity with in the cultures of the African/Black diaspora.

Lamar

The best thing about my school would have to be the people; from the students to the faculty. Having people that actually wont to be there and being able to relate to other students so easily makes learning a lot more fun. Its a good balance of getting a good education and having a healthy social life.

Christina

The best thing about my school is the diversity of the students as well as the faculty and staff. Though my college is majority African American there is a wide variety of people to meet. People differ in religion, style, thoughts among other things. The ablity to be among such diversity allows student to learn inside and outside the classroom through their peers and their instructors.

Reuben

The best thing about Howard University is that its central location in Washington, D.C, and good reputation make it convenient for Howard students to gain internships, network, and seek out employment opportunities.

eboni

the best thing about my school is it's credibilty because students are more likely to find jobs post-graduation than if there were to attend other HBCU's.

Lakeisha

The best thing that I consider about my school is that it is very career based. I consider this to be one of the best things about my school because being that it is career based, it allows students to take courses that are strongly geared to whatever field they are interested in, whether it be business, pre-med, pre-law, etc.

Akyea

There are many organizations to join and events to attend.