Howard University Campus Life Reviews

Overall Review for Howard University

Darian

Overall, my brief experience at Howard has been an exciting one. There’s always something for you to do and explore. Academically, the math department could be better. Main problem with the infrastructure lies on Financial Aid and different Administrative departments. Dormitories are average facilities and food is also average as well. However the culture of the school is one to behold!

Samaria

I believe Howard University is a school that every black person should choose. Your first year will start off difficult. Choose your classes and teachers wisely. Take time to make sure if the major you want is the one you want to do. This school will help you with career opportunities and the best place for academics.

Nyiah

Welcome to Howard University , the Mecca! Howard is very multicultural and social. there's always something to do, whether it's off campus or on. Most teachers genuinely care and you'll make some unforgettable memories here. Only problem? ADMINISTRATION.

Zanaidah

Aside from administrative issues, such as within the financial aid office, Howard is an amazing University and leads students to strive for excellence. The campus is full of so much culture; I could not see myself anywhere else. My colleagues helped me to come out my shell and they motivate me to push to my full potential.

Donald

Howard University is an amazing school. We are the number 1 hbcu and academically we excel over many other colleges . I feel like who ever can get into Howard even thought it’s very competitive choose it you will not regret it . People are passionate everyone is intelligent and the teachers will do anything to keep you from failing as long as you Put effort into your education . We have a ton of celebrity alumni who visit often and you will be apart of a culture that is full of excellence .

Muna

It's chill I guess. I don't mess with the folks there, a little elitist, as you would expect from a comfortably middle-class population. The professors are really active in advocacy and urge you to go beyond the privilege of academia to make an active change in the surrounding community. I don't know, it's chill.

Lauryn

Howard University is extravagant. The atmosphere of the students and faculty is like none of any other. Our professors are top notch, the student to teacher ratio is generally really well. The numerous events and social life on this campus is spectacular. There is always someone to talk to, the parties are grand, and the academic portion is spot on. Howard is amazing!

Sydni

I love Howard University. The culture and the black excellence is everything you could ever want in a school. I've built amazing relationships (on campus and off) with staff, students and alumni. I usually have very small classroom settings so I was able to build relationships with my professors and they were very helpful and accessible during the semester. We have a great balance of social life and academic life. Many students are very driven and goal oriented and they inspire me to be my best self and strive towards my goals. The history that comes with the traditional campus makes my love grow for it each and every day. Although it is not perfect, Howard has been my dream school for years and I would tell everyone to come here if I could.

Kevin

I feel that Howard is a great school with a large learning opportunity in and out of the classroom. Howard University brings people from many cultures all to one place that helps people understand other cultures, and find themselves. Howard is a strong base platform for anyone to be successful.

Iesha

Howard University is an immaculate, rigorous school that will prepare its students for life through a foundation of good education coupled with a network of lifelong friends.

Idalis

I absolutely love attending Howard University. I love my HBCU ! At Howard I have been exposed to an immense amount of culture that makes me love being a person of color. Howard's curriculum is exceptional and challenging, and the extra curricular activities help me stay actively involved on campus.

Gabrielle

There is no place I would have wanted to receive my Bachelor of Science degree in Psychology from than Howard University. The capstone, the Mecca, the illustrious top historically Black college or university, Howard University has continuously bred excellence through its dedication to scholarship, truth and service for more than 150 years. I feel extremely blessed and honored to have been afforded the opportunity to matriculate into an institution that holds such a legacy and has proven to be so impeccably influential in the lives of millions of students of color.

Ashli

There is no place like Howard University. In the past two years, I have grown into a young woman who will stop at nothing to succeed. The environment is that of a family, yet there is a sense of friendly competition. It is almost impossible to be ordinary at a historical university where so many world leaders and activists have attended. At Howard, we praise each other's success and motivate one another to excel through academics, internships, and extracurricular activities. Like any other school, Howard University is not perfect. The administration could definitely improve in areas like efficiency and organization. However, these obstacles force students to pay close attention to detail and become fully responsible of their own education. Through the good and the bad, I can honestly say that there is nowhere else I would rather be. Oh, Howard, I will sing of thee forever.

Jordan

I love my school. I miss home but I wouldn't change it for the world. There's so much to do on campus, you can always find yourself in a group or event. Lots of people are supportive, and lift eachother up. However, there are some people (just like all schools) that you just can't trust. This is a great campus with amazing people! Just keep your eye out! Come to Howard!

Howard University is that aunt or uncle who's never around but always slips you money when you see them. Though administrative support is extremely lacking, the support the student body has for each other is remarkable. You may find yourself in one of many long lines in the financial aid office or the health clinic or the cafeteria but there is hope in knowing that you'll always have a fellow student standing beside you willing to start up a conversation as you both try to find comic relief in what can be a chaotic situation. At Howard, we laugh to keep from crying, we dance unsure of what tomorrow will bring, and we hold each other close as we embrace what's ahead. We've had financial aid scandals, cold water in our dorms, and entire buildings destroyed by weather damages. Yet these things don't keep spirits down. You can always catch students having photo shoots on "The Yard" or cyphers in the cafeteria. The Howard experience is what you make it and the student makes unbearable things actually bearable. Not heat in your dorm? No problem. You an your floormates get cozy in the study lounge as you discuss America's political climate or the latest news in pop culture, hoping hot topics will warm you up. Often times we unite because of the hardships we face and help each other through it. This is what makes Howard University such a beautiful place. You may find that though you may not always see it right away, there's always a metaphorical hand slipping you $20 under the dining room table, waiting for you to grab it and make the most of your future.

Heaven

I really love the school as you get to meet new people from all over having various perspectives on life and this one experience that connects us: being of a minority population. It is basically what you choose to make of the experience but mine has been great I've made some great lifelong friends already.

The community makes the school what it is. Always a supportive and uplifting environment. There is always somebody new to meet, and interesting activities to be a part of. The student body is united and always willing to stand up for one another. Howard is truly one of the most special places I've ever known.

Mariah

I've never imagined applying and attending an HBCU until I stepped on Howard's campus. There is no words that can describe the artistry and excellence I felt and still breathe every day I'm on campus. Despite personal challenges and finances, Howard has taught me that anything can happen if you work for it. My first semester of college here has changed my paradigm about what it is that I passionate about aka teaching and who I want to become. There is always somebody in your corner and Howard will make sure you are aware of it. "In Truth and Service", my excellence is waiting to unleash.

Gabrielle

If there were one word to describe Howard, it would be eclectic. Despite being an HBCU, Howard University is one of the most diverse campuses I have been on. Howard University encompasses the black diaspora from culture and beliefs all the way to diverse languages. It is an amazing feeling to be given the opportunity to collaborate with intellects from across the globe. This diversity heightens your awareness on issues that may be happening outside of your community. The students on this campus are all mini revolutionaries who recognize their potential and refuse to remain stagnant in the face of oppression and mistreatment, whether it is from the government or Howard University. People outside of Howard admire our resilience and notice that this is the place where all voices and opinions are welcomed. Howard University lets you know that someone is listening and that change lies in your own hands. So, come to Howard and be the change!

tamera

It is a great school with so much culture and numerous opportunities. It is in Washington, DC so there are plenty of opportunities for networking and internships. Many legendary people have attended and I want to be apart of that legacy. Thr main complaint is that the university tends to br slow with many things like financial aid, housing, etc.

Kyla

When I think of the illustrious Howard University, I truly think of "the Mecca," as it is so often called. Howard University is one of the, if not THE, best school for people of African descent. There's no other school where black students have the opportunity to find themselves as students, as professionals, and most of all as a black human beings. It's an amazing feeling to wake up every day and go to class surrounded by scholars who actually look like you. We all have an understanding of the same struggle, so it's comforting to be able to intellectually discuss the status of black America (or lack there of) in the dormitories, in the classrooms, on the "yard." There's no other environment where students have access to an outlet like this. It's also in the heart of Washington D.C so there's always something to do! Howard University is the total package: there are some discrepancies such as the poor administration and housing, but the good truly does out weigh the bad.

Jasmine

I love the overall scene of Howard and the Howard culture. DC is an amazing city that is easily accessible by Uber, walking, or the Metro. Most facilities are not up to date, but they are in the process of creating newer and more updated facilities. Relationships and connections are great, the Howard experience is honestly whatever you make it.

Kylah

Howard is an overall great school, however, there are some things that could be better within the Financial Aid, Housing & Academic Department. The food has had its ups and downs but we find a way to make it work. Professors can be tough to deal with sometimes but if you stand firm to what you believe in or simply complete the class to the best of your ability, you won’t have any issues. Besides these rough patches you gain an exceptional experience opportunity wise. You meet new and create new long lasting friendships/partnerships. Politically, there is absolutely nothing we won’t protest. Seeing how passionate and determined Howard’s students are shows outsiders that we only want what’s best for this campus and if we have to protest to help make a change then so be it. At Howard you gain experience through challenges and obstacles thrown in your way and your job is to get through them as best as you can. Greek life is very important to this campus as many of them were originated at Howard. Not only has Greek life become important but so have extracurricular activities. Clubs that are as little as a book club or a dance team are an important part of our experience. These organizations and activities not only give students a chance to meet new students but a chance to become a better person and to find what it is you truly love to do. These few experiences can turn into a lifestyle or career.

Jayva

Howard University is an amazing school solely for the people you will meet and the connections you will make. HU has major flaws that they will not address most of the time unless students force Administration to either through social media or by constantly harassing staff. The math department is terrible and there is no way around this other. HU Administration will frequently try to play students and give you the run-around whether it is concerning Financial Aid or even to try to cover up their own mistakes and confusion. From underfunded programs and prolonged "construction" and "renovations" on dorms, Howard never has a shortage of problems. They recently increased tuition without notifying students resulting in extra charges and forcing many students to transfer. I love my HBCU, and I will never regret attending HU but we are a far way away from perfect.

Isaiah

It is an amazing school. Howard University is an HBCU (Historically Black College and University). Howard produces some of the best people you will ever meet. For example, My 6th & 8th Grade social studies teacher, Mr. R. Brown is an AMAZING teacher. He graduated from Howard University!

Howard has a lot of aspects that they need to renovate, but overall I love this university. Aside from the housing crisis and collapsing buildings, this University is doing all they can to ensure the success of their students. They put passionate professors in charge of the "majors only" classes to make sure the students of each major are educated to the highest degree. The food has gotten a lot better since I first began attending this university and that is always good. I can't wait to come back to Howard next semester.

Arielle

When I was making my choice to attend college, Howard University had been my first choice. This institution was an accredited university where I could see myself not only growing as an individual but ultimately finding the career that would help me uncover the passion of my life. Howard had the reputation of creating global citizens who possess an overwhelming passion and dedication for learning. Attending Howard was the best decision I had ever made in my lifetime. The students here are so beautiful and creative; innovation thrums throughout their veins and creates a Howard experience that I cannot even imagine describing. Howard students are never satisfied with mediocrity and push themselves to be the best at all levels which makes it a very competitive but motivating atmosphere. The community we have created has made me a better women and exposed me to a different world I had not known before. There is no other institution like Howard and I wouldn’t have been able to find my voice as a young black woman growing up in modern day America anywhere else. I have become more secure in who I am and my blackness because of Howard and the people here who remind me daily of the excellence of young black individuals who are always willing to make a difference.

Ambriehl

Attending Howard University is an experience like none other. Between its iconic location, historical significance, and the plethora of intellectual faculty and students; it is impossible to make it 4 years without intellectual growth, better self-awareness, a fresh perspective and the ability to never take "no" for an answer.

Olivia

Howard University holds a sacred experience of black excellence amongst a community and culture that has lasted for generations, and will surely continue to last. Being a current student at the Mecca there is so much I could testify for on the positive end, but as every academic environment can contest, it is what you make of it. Some students that recently graduated were counting down the days to receive their degree, while others were a bit more sentimental and involved, feeling as if they were parting from the family.

Danielle

My opinion of my University is that this is a vibrant,creative school filled with black excellence. There are amazing people here, numerous opportunities, and diversity seen throughout people of color. I love my HBCU because the courses and knowledge you gain here is nowhere near what I've learned nor experienced in high school. I am able to learn and grow as I figure out what it means be an Afro-Latina in this world.

Victoria

When I think of Howard University, I think of the Mecca. It really holds true in that regard. There are intelligent black, brown, and white people on campus. More brown people than anything. However, cost can be a big factor if this is somewhere you want to go. Think smart and handle your business in financial aid, the line be crazy. Other than that, overall its an okay joint to consider for your education. We got a little bit of everything. You know!

Sydnee

My overall opinion of Howard University is extraordinary. Coming in as a transfer student you learn about so many different cultures. The people here on campus are very friendly. I think I made friends here that is going to last a lifetime. I can go to my professors and ask for help and knowing they will help me. I never felt homesick because Howard University felt like a second family.

Kelli

Its quite cool and nice to be at/

Victoria

Howard has great parties and academics. However, their financial Maintenance and facilities are terrible. The campus food is decent depend what building. I would highly recommend upcoming students to be prepared for poor financial Administration. Still a great school. Solid 4 out of 5.

Jielle

Overall, Howard University is a great school for anyone that wants to be surrounded by rich culture. Students aren't afraid to start political conversations in and out the classroom. There are so many organizations on campus that there's something for everyone to join. They range from student government, campus mentoring, state clubs, etc. This campus also takes Greek Life very serious and it's shown on a daily basis. There are improvements that can be done to the different class buildings but other than that, Howard University is a great campus to be on.

Autumn

I love Howard University. At first, I had a hard time adjusting. However, it's been the best decision of my life. Going to an HBCU has its challenges, but the pros outweigh the cons heavily. As someone who always went to predominately white schools, it was so cool to be around black people from all over the world. The culture is very unique and there is a social group for everyone. People are very accepting for the most part and celebrate their unique differences.

Zion

Howard University is one of those few places that really shows who and what you are when you are there. I attended Howard University for one academic year and it showed me more about myself than I ever knew in 17 years. That is not to say that my experience was always positive but that the lessons that I learned have created the most positive me that I know. That being said, my overall opinion of Howard University is that it is a beautiful place to find yourself and I wouldn't trade my experience for anything.

Gabriell

Howard University ultimately fails itself by not investing in the students, the infrastructure of the school, the surrounding community and the continual allowance of adminsitrative staff to embezzle funds. The students and teaching staff at Howard are everything to the school

delanie

BEST. DECISION. EVER. Howard University is home to the most intelligent, welcoming, and successful group of blacks and minorities. This place is one big family, who took me in, wrapped me in their arms, and birthed a woman willing and capable of taking on the world. This university is a big melting pot of Black people, who all might look similar, but completely and utterly unique. Every Black student needs to experience the magic that is Howard University!

Trinity

I have a love-hate relationship with Howard. I love the people and culture at Howard--there are tons of artistically inclined, innovative, and intelligent students who create the social college experience. However, the university itself is terribly run. Administration seems to take little interest in the well being of students, buildings are old and poorly maintained, and financial aid is a complete disgrace. When I become an alumni there's no way I would give back directly to Howard.

Phillip

In my opinion Howard University is an amazing college to attend. It is full of amazing opportunities no matter what your major is, and the network you achieve while there is like no other. Being an international business major myself, I have been able to improve on my networking schools as well as improving my communicating skills when it comes to communicating on a professional level. Howard University is definitely a school I would recommend for anybody to attend as it will be a life-changing experience.

Jon-Joseph

I had an awesome time during my visit of Howard University. I was a great opportunity to see people who looked like me taking their education seriously. i wish the television and the media showcased all the positive and educated minorities instead of the criminal activity. Being located in Washington D.C. it's less than 5 miles from the white house and close to and less then a 10 minute walk to the Smithsonian Garden. Being centrally located to culture and educational history is one of the many reasons I chose Howard University to complete my degree in Mechanical Engineering.

Diego

I love Howard University. Its the vanguard of HBCU's, the mecca. Howard is the capitol of black excellence with the ability to transcend dreams of young black students into reality. As well as tap into our full potential and possibilities.

Sydelle

I personally love Howard University. Yes we have our faults, but so does every other school. Due to my major, I have a smaller class size which makes a more intimate class setting along with a better learning environment. Along with that our culture is unmatched. We're literally one big happy family.

De'Onna

Howard University is a great school and a great school to network. The class sizes are porportional, the professor are typically still in the field that they are teaching in so they are really good resources. There are also a lot of opportunities to join organizations.

Keirstyn

I feel it would be a great place to spend the next four years of my life.

Chidera

I think the illustrious Howard University is the top HBCU in the country. Located in Washington D.C., we are surrounded by a variety of opportunities. Student culture is great and being surrounded by other like-minded African Americans is what sets us apart from other colleges/universities

Kim

Howard University has a great program for my choice of study with a high graduation rate. I wish they offered more merrit based scholarships. Howard University offer a lot of student support. Howard university have a great medical system in place for students

Dominique

You can't go to Howard without growing, becoming a leader, a better person, and a competive candidate in your field of study. It's because of Howard that I am the person I am today and I owe much of my current and future success to that that university. Howard University is an upstanding institution and I'm proud to be an alumnus of the Howard University School of Communications (c/o 2015). HU! YOU KNOW!

Alissa

I am in love with Howard University. There is a balance of education and social life, which makes Howard number 1 on my college list. I have heard that Howard University has a great law program, which is great because I would like to be a lawyer. Since I am an African-American female, attending a HBCU that has a law program is extremely important and relevant to my life. I believe I will be able to prosper more because of this.