Hudson Valley Community College Top Questions

murtala

be focused

I struggle with this question dailey, I wish I could go back and talk to my former self just to say it's all going to be alright. I had no clue what I wanted to do when I left highschool. I ended up at a film school for two years and figured out it was not for me. I would like to say that I would go back and tell yself not to go to that school but for all the confusion and finding my way and stress that, that school brought, it really helped me grow up as a person. I would not give up those life lessons for anything, it was a very difficult two years but I made it through. I wish I could go back and reasure my scared 17 year old self that I would eventually be alright.

Shelby

Hi Shelby, it's me.. Shelby.. When you get out of high school do what you are planning, go to summer school at the college, take some courses, find yourself. You made good decisions, you made bad. But most of all, you made a great decision.. You are in a college to get a career that will help so many people. But you need to know this.. SAVE YOUR MONEY. Save save save. Right now you are going to a school and you are in a lot of debt with student loans. You are happy, but you have no money. So please Shelby, spend your money wisely. You will be better in the long run. And pay close attention in your classes, and do not miss a second. Because this program has sped by so fast, and I havent thought to look into scholarships until the last two months of the program. Stupid of me, but hopefully you wont fall in that exact path. Be smart. Live your life. Have fun. And become a great NURSE!

I have gained a sense of motivation out of my college experience thus far. I have gained a NEED for an excellent GPA in an attempt to transfer to another institute and be enrolled in a 5-year MBA or 6-year PhD program. I feel a level of accomplishment that not many people have the opportunity or they audacity to retain.

If I could give my senior self some advice about college, it would be to create study skill habits early starting senior year. Although college may seem to be a party time, it is also about how to be organized and how to stay prioritized. I would recommend using office hours with professors and sit in the front of the class so your professors reconize you and you pay attention. I would say there can alway be fun, but play comes after hard work. And in college there is a lot of hard work. I would recommend not waiting till the last minute to do assignments, because in college they will catch up with you. I would tell myself to also get involved. By taking advantage of the opportunities can and will help you succeed in many ways. I would say enjoy these four years, its the starting point to your life. Its a great place to take risks, make friends with different backgrounds and explore many opportunities.

Katheryn

If I were to go back in time to visit myself as a High School Senior, the first thing I would tell myself is about the process to get into college. Being the first person in my family to graduate High School, I was lost when I started my transition to College. If I went back in time I would tell myself that first you have to apply, and apply for financal aid, submit a Certificate of Residency, and make sure that this is done early, so in case of any problems, there is plenty of time to work through it. I would also tell myself "You can do it. This process has been hard on me, as I have been very worried about going back to school, epecially because I have recently had a baby. To get over this, I have had to realize that I need to take charge of my life, and work hard so I can have a nice life for not only myself but my daughter. Have faith in yourself, because you can do it."

Kathryn

I would tell myself to stop freaking out about college; not everyone continues on to college right out of high school and in my case it worked out for the better. Not everyone needs to follow the same path and the motivation to do well is also different for everyone. For me working right out of school was the correct decision as it provided a better idea as to what I wanted to do and now I have the drive to excel so that I can have the career I truly want. Ultimately, I would tell myself that going to school is still very important, but that does not mean you have to follow a path that someone else tells you is the correct one.

When I started my senior year of highschool I thought of it as all fun and games. It was my last year and I wanted to just coast through it. It has been two years since I graduated highschool and college has truly been a life changing experience for me. If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a highschool senior, I would tell myself that I make my future. I always knew that college was going to be a challenge and that I was going to have to work very hard to achieve my goals. I would tell myself that I need to learn to be more responsible because things don't just fall into place. It is all about having a dream and believing that you can achieve that dream. I would really make sure that I knew what I was going to school for and I would make sure that I have the drive to do it. Life is all about choices and making the right ones for myself is important . I would make sure that I knew that I would make a difference in the world as long as I work hard.

Melissa

The advice that I would give to my high school self is to not jump into college in a hurry to get it over with. I made the mistake of doing that my first semester at a private college and I was neither ready to go nor had I considered all my options. It's better to take some time off of school to think about what you really want to do in life rather than just pick the first thing that comes to mind. I would have also told myself to drop the lazy habits I had in high school because it's a lot easier to get help from Professors at college than I previously thought and there are plenty of rescources to help keep grades up; a lesson I'm glad I learned early on in my Hudson Valley career.