Arcata, CA
Humboldt State University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Humboldt State University

Ellen

Passionate about what they do.

Passionate about what they do.

Humboldt it best know for it's wildlife and environmental studies programs as well as it's art programs. We also have an amazingly good softball team here. Everyone also knows Humboldt for it's surroundings. We are surrounded by beach and redwoods.

My college experience has given me a new perspective on my life. I came into college thinking I knew exactly what I wanted, but in the time i have spent here I have thought hard about what I truly wanted to do with my life. My professors have given me ample amounts of support and have always been there for me. I have been able to practice teaching and through that have found the passion in my life. I have always wanted to be able to help people and at first I thought that the only way I could would be by becoming a doctor but by taking many classes I found that my true love lies with photography. Through my exploration and contact with the teachers here I learned that you can help people just as much by giving them an outlet for their emotions, by helping them find a way to express themselves. For some, it will save their lives. By attending college I have found a real passion in my life and have hopefully been able to help spark a passion in others as well .

Ellen

Arizona is a school that cares about it's students and community.

Arizona is a school that cares about it's students and community.

Compared to other schools I thought about going to, Universiy of Arizona has such a spirit and big community about it that even though it's a big school, everyone is connected in some way because of the schools spirit.

Ever since I got to college, it has made me realize that this was the best decision I could have made to set myself up to have a successfull life after I graduate. I want to be able to suppport myself without my parents when I do graduate and I don't think I could have accomplished that without choosing to attend college.

Jerry

MARAJUANA! I don't smoke, I like my brain cells.

MARAJUANA! I don't smoke, I like my brain cells.

My college experience has better prepared me to go on to Graduate school. While at Humboldt State University, I tended to overload my credits in order to challenge myself both academically and personally. Being a single father of a 6 year old and attending University more than full time helped me to become a better organized individual, which I feel had a great deal to do with my being accepted to the University of Southern California's Rossier School of Education. I learned what my strengths are, and what area's I needed improvement in. That in and of itself has been an invaluable resource in helping me to better myself in an honest and objective manner. Having the ability to do this will undoubtedly assist me in my future endeavors.

Way too much drug use, timeliness means nothing thats why people call it Humboldt time. On average everyone is at least 15 minutes late for everything and those are the people who don't smoke pot. It's a poor school in a beautiful setting with no employment outlook and a terrible economy. The only two things keeping the economy afloat are the income from the University and the income from the well known pot growing industry. That is Humboldt county in a nut shell!

Tasha

If I had the option to go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior, I would tell myself that it is vitally important that I focus on my own future, and never let go of my dreams because of someone else. The most important thing is to somehow find the time and the energy to put aside all the involvement and excitement of ?being a senior?, and commit to the task of laying the financial foundation for success in college. The biggest regret I?ve ever had is having to drop out of college due to finances. You can never rely on someone else to do your work for you. Growing up is the most difficult thing you will ever do, and learning it now will save your future a lot of heartache and headache. Moving to a new place, making friends, and even the classwork comes secondary to figuring out all the adult ?life? things you have too. Seek guidance in everything you do. Don?t deter from the wisdom of parents or counselors. Find your dreams, find the means, and believe in what you can achieve.

Zsofia

Active, resourceful, open minded and social, as well as possible friends for a lifetime.

Be yourself. College is not an extension of high school, people will love you for who you are. Take it seriously though, don't drown in your newly acquired freedom. The library is still for studying: don't let those cute guys and ladies distract you. As long as you stay focused on who you are and what you expect from yourself, you can do whatever you want.

Someone who's willing to give and receive from others. Someone who has a solid opinion of our world, but isn't afraid to change it for the better.

If I went back and talked to my high school senior self, I would tell her to calm down. I know that at that time in my life, I was extremely stressed out about the transition of moving off to college, leaving home, and preparing for the rest of my life. But I now know that stressing out does not make anything any easier. Once I took a deep breath and calmly figured out my classes and other transitional things, I felt much better. I would also tell myself to make friends. School is much easier when there are people around that can understand what you are going through and help with whatever problems are faced. I am not a very social person so I joined a team and have since made many friends with different personalities that I can talk to. Having someone there really helps when I feel that I cannot continue on with classes or practice.

I wish I had known more about the field I am majoring in. Although I knew what I wanted to major in, I did not know a lot about the programs available. I wish I had done more research on the program and its available classes. But now that I am in some classes related to my major, I know more about the field and the classes available at the school.

What I consider to be the worst thing about my school is the location. I love the location because it is beautiful and it suits me very well, but becuase it is somewhat secluded, it is very difficult to find jobs and affordable housing. Although I wish that I could easily find a job and affordable housing, I would not want to move to a different school becuase it is too beautiful and comfortable.

Haley

Strong willed students to take care to get quality out of their education.

Strong willed students to take care to get quality out of their education.

Your college experience has the potential to give you knowledge, teach you responsiblity, provide you with organizational skills, and introduce you to a different way of seeing things. Remember that participating in athletics is a great experience as long as you look at your goals and do what it takes to complete them, not succumb to any sort of peer pressure from friends or even teammates, and realize that you are a wonderful individual capable of succeeding if you are willing to put forth the effort. Take the time to enjoy your classes and make sure that school gets done first. Athletics will be a great way to teach you how to prioritize and create relationships with your professors that will help you suceed in the classroom. Last but not least invest your social time making friends outside of the team and not pursue boys, let them come to you. Finding your future husband won't happen until you just let it be. Remeber be confindent in who you are, know that you can accomplish greatness, dedicate yourself to succeeding, and most of all have fun.

Anyone who has strong oppinions against marijuana and it publicly being displayed around the town. If homeless people make you nervous than you'll spend some nervous moments.

Jade

Small, community oriented college, in a rural setting, that focuses on the students individually and tries to connect them to faculty.

Marijuna, pot, weed and liberal views.

I would of tried to spend my summer more efficiently. I also would of tried to make more friends and go on more dates with girls while I was in the dorms. Live life with less fear, get involved, test the limit. Choose the right roomate or get lucky...

Valeria

I would tell my self that life isn't easy and that's why one has to work hard. And if the college I want to go to is far from home put my mind to it and tell myself that I can make it, I will make it. Don't let any one stop you because you are going away from home for an education not for fun and games but to learn and graduate to work in something that you like and will pay good. Another thing I would tell myself would be to put all the effort into my work and focus on my classes. And if one day there's a party and the next day I know there will be an exam or there will be a possibility of being an exam then I will have to say, "Sorry but my studies come first because I know I will become someone important in the feature." And although there is time to work there is also always time to play. It's like they say the way you work should be the way you play. You work hard you play hard.

What I consider to be the worst thing about my school it is that there is a lot of old bulidings although they are in good condision I would say that having them a bit renewed would give the school a better atmosphere. Another thing that I think is ridicules is that we have clockes in our classroomes and they do not work.

I brag about how beautiful the campuse is where all you can see is green tall trees and hear brids sing, I also tell them that Humboldt State University is a great college to go to weather you are studing Biology, Art, Buissness, or any other major this school is truly amazing with small classes and haveing that one on one attention from the teachers it really helps. Not to mention all the outdoor adventures you can do up here.

Heather

Heather, You're a smart and beautiful person, inside and out, no matter what anyone says. You have the potential to accomplish whatever you set your heart on. You just need to have a focus. Start with something small, focus on doing the best that you can do on every test, assignment, and page of notes. Join a sport! It's a great way to stay active, obtain friendships, and build self-esteem. Though it's awkard and scary at first, involve yourself in extracurricular activities--it's nice to be apart of something, and it looks great on applications and scholarships. Speaking of which, stop procrastinating. Go to the counselling office and get help, that's why they are there! I would conclude my talk by playing a song by Sidewalk Prophets called "The Words I Would Say." Here's the the chorus: Be strong in the Lord And never give up hope You're gonna do great things I already know God's got His hand on You So don't live life in fear Forgive and forget But don't forget why you're here Take your time and pray These are the words I would say

My grandmother's wooden leg is in their lumberjack parade.

Humboldt State University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.