Arcata, CA
Humboldt State University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Humboldt State University

Rhianon

Pay attention to what your instrutor tells you--if you don't pay attention well in class get a cheap digital voice recorder.

Stay focused; when you hit college everything is put on you; all of your assignments are homework; you don't get classtime to do it. Set priorities, and a good budget.

To be honest I can't say a bad thing about it so far--it's a very upbeat campus with exciting and new people to meet everyday.

Jenna

Humboldt is unique in many ways. On campus, there is a fish hatchery and a wildlife game pen to aid in rehabilitation of mammals and oiled birds. Because HSU is so close to the coast, students can access the Marine Laboratory at Trinidad beach. It is also the only CSU to have a sea vessal dedicated to undergraduate research. All these characteristics makes Humboldt an amazing university for science majors. It is also well known for campus wide projects dedicated for sustainability. All of these reasons makes Humboldt State a truly unique university.

Looking back, there are many things I would tell myself as a high school senior; most among studying habits, applying for more scholarships and saving money. Although, the real advice I would give myself would be to have a more open mind. My parents have always told me to stop thinking I know everything and I never listened. I moved to Humboldt State, not realizing cultural differences between Nothern California and Southern California. It has only been a few months, but I have learned a lot. Humboldt is a very liberal county and so is the campus. People are accepting to the gay community and are dedicated to being eco-friendly. I noticed that everybody is open minded to new ideas and opinions; everybody listens. Not only have I been able to shape my opinions, but I have realized that I did not listen enough to my teachers, parents and anyone who had more experience. All in all, the advice I would give to my "high school senior-self" would be to be more open minded and accepting to advice.

Humboldt State is nestled right in the Redwoods and on the coast. There is plenty of flora and fauna to excite any botanist, zoologist, forester or wildlife advocate. Humboldt's location allows for students majoring in science to gain hands on experience with wildlife and marine mammals. Even more, it's extraordinary location is the supreme place for outdoor adventurers. Students can go backpacking, surfing, rock climbing, you name it. I chose Humboldt for my love for the outdoors and to major in zoology. I truly believe a location in the Redwood forest is the best thing about Humboldt State.

Lerin

very student oriented and a wonderful place to live. Small college town.

very student oriented and a wonderful place to live. Small college town.

"Hi Lerin. Start preparing now not only financially but also for the emotional side of leaving. You come from a very close family and the most difficult part about moving will be not seeing Mom, Dad and the boys (brothers and nephews) face to face. Also, keep on track with looking and applying for scholarships and grants. Write the essays and fill out the paperwork no matter how grueling it is. If you do, you wont have to take out loans and work two jobs just to get by. No matter how much they want to, Mom & Dad cannot afford to pay your way. When you get there, talk to people and make friends; it's the only way you will survive. Don't find comfort in excessive partying, buckle down and get the studying done. You can reward yourself after these tasks are complete. However, don't get so bogged down with school you lose your social life, it is important too. It is like walking a tightrope, the balance between school and keeping sane. You can get to the other side just stay true to you. Trust me, I?ve been there?

i'm happy with what i knew, I did a lot of research.

Devin

If I could talk to myself as a senior with the knowledge I now have I would have a lot to say. I would tell myself to be prepared to study, a lot, even if there is not a midterm. I would tell myself that studying my lecture notes after class is vital to remembering what I have learned. Also, I would tell myself to go to class, no matter how hard it is raining, how far away my class is from my room, and regardless of how much I would rather just sleep. I would tell myself that the first few weeks are tough, but you will make friends, so do not worry too much. I would also tell myself that I need to be prepared to deal with the fact that friends back home will change and so will you.

I wish I had known how difficult PHIL 100 was going to be. Logic is not as easy as it sounds.

The stairs are by far the worst thing about Humboldt State University. I have yet to find a flaw about the school on an academic level.

It's basically a nice beautiful college within 5 minutes of an amazing walk through the community redwood forest, with really nice (and left-winged) population of students. It's big enough that I feel like I'll always have someone new to meet, and small enough that most of my classes don't have more than 50 students. If you're worried about how the stoner rep affects academics, don't be: the academics here are just like any other colleges, with the exception of academic departments, which I hear are more intimate and get to know their students more closely. So far, it seems like a lot of the freshman like me aren't too familiar with the town outside. But people seem really friendly. There are often people at the plaza, and the town doesn't really close down until later since it's a college town. Sports aren't great.

Coming from an area of SoCal where the population was mostly mexican, I was really shocked to see so many white people at first! There are a lot of black students too; it's nice that they have their niche on campus. Most people here are very left-wing, so if you're conservative, be prepared for a lot of debate. I thought the campus would have a lot of hippies, but the population is a mixture of a lot of different groups. The biggest group I notice are the weird kids. The two most common places that I hear Humboldt students are from are San Diego and the Bay Area.

Well, I mean plenty of them are stoners. But I'm not one of them, and there are plenty of other people that aren't, enough that I suppose if you wanted you could avoid that population altogether (although I don't know about you, but stoners are pretty low on my priority list of people to avoid).

The professors I've had have all been very friendly and approachable. Of course, that isn't a lot, but this is the only review on unigo right now, so you have to deal with my inexperienced opinion. You'll get to know professors a lot better it seems once you declare your major and take classes in that major. Students here study a medium amount, but it's still up to you to drive yourself to do your work. I guess it's nice to know that there are other students suffering with you though. I just declared my major in music, and I'm really excited to start classes next semester for it! The department is lacking in enough talent to be very competitive, but it's a nice atmosphere. I'm looking into being a music ed major so it doesn't really matter for me. The professors in the department are really nice for the most part, although there are a few eccentrics.

There's a lot that you can do on campus if you look hard enough. There's sports clubs like rugby and lacrosse, archery and fencing. There's a club for skiing and snowboarding, I forget what they're called but I see their stand often on campus. Some of the clubs are really weird too; one about spiritual self-actualization or something ALWAYS writes all over campus with chalk. Also, there's an awesome volunteer house around here, the YES house, that has a lot of volunteer groups that work with kids. If you do music for fun, there are plenty of entry-level ensembles, beginner's music classes, and chamber music classes. The Sunset and Canyon dorms are crazy; they're where you stay if you want to be guaranteed in on the fun, but they are regular dorms. Cypress (where I live) is in suite style living; there are about a dozen people living in the same suite with a kitchen and living room. Some of the boys here are pretty cute. Just watch out for the freshman; they're kind of an eager bunch for the most part. Halloween was great here! There were a TON of people in the plaza dancing. Not much of a greek life here. There's not so much to do off-campus until you're 21. But I guess you could find something. Some places to eat are open 24/7.

That they are all stoners-- that's the main and only stereotype I can think of.

Amber

Humboldt State University is one of the smaller schools, with a beautiful, eco-friendly campus, a variety of interesting classes and majors, and very friendly staff and students.

Don't be so nervous. Don't put everything off until the last minute, kiddo, just do it and get it over with. College and all its processes are not as scary as you think they are. It's like high school, but more fun, so don't worry about it so much. You're going to love it, and you're going to be alright. The homesickness is not as bad as you think its going to be, and you're going to make some really good friends here. Now, on the other hand... You really need to get a job. This place is not cheap, sweetie, and it won't pay for itself. Also, don't procrastinate on your homework. Some of it will be okay, but do not under any circumstances procrastinate on papers. That will leave you frantically typing it out the day before it is due, and that is no fun at all - especially since college papers tend to be longer than high school papers. But all in all, just run with it. Live it. Don't hide in your dorm; go out and do things. It's worth it.

In my opinion, the best thing about my school would be the friendly staff and student population, because their kindness puts me at ease and I feel very safe here.

j

people look you in the eye and smile. and not everyone has a cell phone. that says something about the quality of connections people have on campus.

If I could give myself advice as a high school senior about higher education, it would be: be as involved with your community as possible, talk to other majors, take classes outside of your major that you know nothing about because they interest you, share meals with your friends every chance you get, realize that addictions are a result of someone not receiving the support they need to balance, seek out your professors to tell them your dreams and ideas, have alone time every day, don't watch tv, don't expect your professors to have all of the answers, ask questions, realize issues are a lot more related than institutions want you to realize they are, and make sure you make people feel good about themselves every chance you have, don't waste money on movies or video games, maintain and use but don't abuse your body, get to know the aspirations and beliefs of your colleagues, talk about what your friends are learning, support your friends in their extracurricular activities, uncomfortable conversations are usually the most important to have, and schools don't empower you... the very knowledge which you wield does.

many people are there because they want to be. it's hard to get to humboldt.

Humboldt State University is a "go green" campus that is friendly to its students and a really beautiful campus that encourages diversity, freedom of speech, and interactive learning.

I would tell myself to follow my dreams and pick the campus that is collectively the most comfortable, beautiful, and friendly. I would tell myself that college is not as scary as it seems because there are so many nice people that are new just like you, and that you will fit in and that you can really learn to be independent comfortably. I would tell myself not to worry about missing my friends, because I will make more at college and these people are going to stay with me for the rest of my life. I would tell myself that the professors are nice and really want to help you out and there are so many opportunities that were not available before. I would also tell myself that its better than high school because you take more control over your education and what professors you get, what classes you choose, and when you choose them. Lastly I would tell myself that college allows you more freedom, and not just in your education, but in growing up and finding yourself and choosing your future life to fit your goals and dreams.

A person that is interested in the biological sciences because Humboldt has a really good biology program. If you like medium sized school with relatively small classes, this college is for you. There is a lot of counter-culture here and people really care about the environment. Mostly a democratic school with lots of diversity.

Heather

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior, here's what I wouls say: "Heather, you need to focus more on your studies and less on your social life. Your education is the most imortant thing in the world, do not take it lightly. You will only go as far in life as you are willing to push yourself in your education. Don't be in a hurry to get married and have kids. It is important that you wait and take the time to focus on your education before you take on the responsibility of a family. There is nothing more valuable to your own sense of self worth than your education. But remember, your education doesn't have to be all hard work; study subjects that you enjoy, explore and experiment with things that interest you. You might be surprised to find out how many things you can do if you just try. Above all else, never give up. You will succede."

Humboldt State University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.