Arcata, CA
Humboldt State University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Humboldt State University

Tyler

Humboldt is a fantastic small school hidden mostly behind the redwood curtain, but nonetheles home to competent and committed professors and a student body ready to learn and challenge the accepted paradigms of our society.

Humboldt strong liberal arts program, low class size, cost-effectiveness and progressive history stood out amongst the other Universities I considered for undergraduate study.

In attending college, as in any major life-changing event, the singular most important aspect is your own perception. That is to say, it doesn't matter to any great extent whether or not you choose a large urban campus, a midsized midwestern University, or a small private College. The best decision is, in essance, to run towards yourself. Be it a dedication to environmentalism, a strong distinguished academic tradition, or a mission to change the world that drives you, rest assured that somwhere amongst the myriad of academic institutions lies your perfect choice. And that makes all the diference.

Brandon

Be sure to visit the college before making any choices. For most of my high school career I had a different school I was dead set on. I visited it and found that it was completely different environmentally and mentally. I then visited the college I attend now and found that it was exactly what I had been looking for. Be sure to visit everything (food, housing, etc.) because if even one thing is not right, it can ruin your entire experience. Also, be set your mind on more than one college. Choosing and sticking with one can lead to going somewhere you don't like 2-3 years down the road because you have changed. Be attuned to teh fact that you will change mentally and take this into account when choosing where you are going to go. Find a college that you can change along with.

Accepting and a great place to get to know your preofessors, friends, and yourself. I really found my voice here.

Liberal, environmentally conscience, and easy-going.

Dina

Very intelligent, environmentally and socially conscious people, that smoke alot of pot, most of which will make a mark in their respected fields

Spend time in the area before enrolling to make sure that you know what you are getting into. One of the most important and least recognized factors in choosing a college is the political make up of the university. It may seem silly, but if you are of one political orientation, and the campus is of another your college experience, including the level of your participation in the classroom, and the quality of your education will suffer. Secondly, pick a college that has extra-curricular activities you want to get involved in. The more out of classroom activities you can do the more fulfilling your experience will be. Also, look at what the emphasis in each major is. If you want to study Russian Literature, it will not do you much good if the English dept. at the school focuses on literature from Victorian England, or something like that. Oh, and most important, SPEND A SEMESTER ABROAD! It may sound expensive, but with all of the programs out there to help mitigate the cost it ends up costing the same price as a semester locally, and it is an experience well worth the price.

I wish I was aware of how remote and gray the area is. The town is small, less than 15,000 people, and the closest big city is 4 hours away. I also wish I was aware that while we are on the coast, to get into the water a wet suit of atleast 3mm is needed (in the summer the ocean is about 50 degrees), and 60% of the time it is gray and rainy.

Isadora

For a student coming from a low income family like myself, I strongly recommend choosing a college that is not too far from home. I realized this after going to a college that is a 5-6 hour drive from home. Without a car, the thought of taking the Greyhound bus every holiday was looking bleak, and expensive. I got lucky by making good friends that have family in the same area I came from. Throwing a little bit of cash for gas is much better than what you'll end up dishing out for pricy transportation otherwise, not to mention how much longer it takes! I would also like to say that college is everything they say it is. I wouldn't give up my experience in college for anything else in the world.

I wish I had known that I would eventually change my major. Then I could have declined to declare a major, and focused on GE classes while I thought about what I wanted to do. Now that I changed my major I'm behind on core classes.

A person thinking about attending Humboldt needs to understand that it is COLD and that it RAINS a lot! If you don't like rain and cold, DON'T come here! Also, they should be environmentally conscious and ready to be surrounded by liberals!

Frank

Don't miss a minute of the fun and manage your time in college.

Don't miss a minute of the fun and manage your time in college.

I live in the redwoods on the northern Californian coast, the crowd is leberal and progressive.

It tends to rain non-stop during the spring semester and it is isolated from large cities.

Artemio

Classmates are fun, diverse, active and somewhat intellactual.

Classmates are fun, diverse, active and somewhat intellactual.

what would I tell parents about finding the right college and making the most of the college experience? First of all I would tell the students to choose schools that they think will fit their criteria of field of study. I would encourage them to look into a school that is welcoming and open to diversity, to find a place that can make them happy and fullfill their wants and needs. I would tell their parents to encourage their children to pick a school that will fit their personaity, and would fulfill their area of study. I would also encourage their parents to save for their childrens education.

Heather

Make sure that you know what your goals are before choosing a school. Not all schools are created equal and the school you choose will affect your career choices for the rest of your life. The next thing you must do is get involved. It makes a huge difference!

A conservative person should not attend this school. There is no room for conservatives at this school. If you do not strongly agree with the liberal agenda you will be ostracized and fail your courses for being "racist" or "close-minded."

Debroah

This place kicks academic, social, environmental and geogrpahic ass.

This place kicks academic, social, environmental and geogrpahic ass.

Environmental sensitivty and the Green Pledge--to promis, upon graduation, to take the knowledge gained at HSU and use it to improve the condition of the world.

If you select a school that meets academic requirements but does not foster a sense of community and support during the ducational process, it's possible that the entile experience will be less satisfying. Choose a school that has a good balance between meeting academic and environmental needs.

Rodney

Consider the surrounding area and environment as well as the people who go to the school. Decide on your most important and valuable skills and if they will be applicable and appreciated at the college of your choice. Notice the type of people and diversity of the student body and if it will be a comfortable environment for learning and socializing.

Not enough off-campus jobs and housing.

A person who is looking for a fraternity/sorority based party school. A person who is conservative and not open to being environmentally friendly.

Maria

It's strong science department and marijuana usage. Also its beautiful natural setting.

It was very environmentally conscious and was in a part of California that I had never been to.

Go wherever you will be happiest, because that will determine how much you get out of the school. Seize every opportunity to make friends and pursue your passions.

Humboldt State University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.