Arcata, CA
Humboldt State University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Humboldt State University

What I know I would tell myself to hang in there and go to college after high school so it would be easy on myself. Because going to school at the age 35 and have a family takes alot time away from your family. And also I would tell myself to listen to my parents because what they where telling me I wasn't listen to them. I think if I just listen to what they were telling me I think my life would have been a little better and a little wiser. Now with me going back to school I feel I will accomplish something I should did sixteen years ago.

Jeremiah

Having obtained the information I have now from my first semester as a fulltime college student (16 credits), I would tell myself as a senior in high school to enjoy my life while I could. When college becomes your reality, it is bittersweet. You say goodbye to your high school friends that you thoguht you would have forever, but that quickly fades, and if you're lukcy you'll keep one best friend. College is much more difficult than high school in terms of academics, but in terms of the social environment; it is much easier. There are no fights, or so it seems and no one really cares what you dress like or about the price tag on your clothes. You can literally be yourself, completely and to the fullest extent possible. No one looks at you funny if you don't talk to them or if you talk too much. My favorite part about college this far is how much I learned in this one semester. I thoroughly enjoy learning and expanding my mind, so removing the ignorant social environment from high school, I feel like I was able to learn more and enjoy myself more. Live life!

Mark

The Graduation Writing Proficiency Examination (GWPE) must be taken… there’s no course, that’s part of your major, that fulfills this requirement at HSU.

Those who love nature/the outdoors

Madison

The people of Humboldt County largely conform to stereotype: this place is full of hippies. That said, the people here are some of the most open-minded, accepting people I have ever met. It does not matter what kind of person you are, there is someone who will be your friend. There are more dreadlocks per square mile here than any other place in the world except perhaps Jamaica. Everybody plays Ultimate Frisbee. You frequently see people dancing with hula hoops and tight-rope walking between trees. It's like a circus here. It is lively and fun and friendly.

My first piece advice: Talk to absolutely everyone. Aside from the obvious (education) the most important part of your college experience are your friends. So don't be afraid to talk to anyone. Sit next to the people in the cafeteria who have tables to themselves. Talk to the people who are waiting in the hallways outside classes. If you see people frisbee in the grass or hanging out in the quad, ask if you can join. Everybody is friendlier than you think and if they aren't, then don't worry about it. You don't want to be friends with them anyway. My other advice is to get involved! Join clubs, do volunteer work, go to all the silly mixers and movie nights and barbecues that are organized by the residence councils. If you don't have fun and make new friends, at the very least, you'll get free t-shirts.

Zackery

If I could go back five years to meet myself as a high school senior, I would detail the bureaucracy behind the high school to college transition. I would explain the different ways to attain funding for my education and outline the steps neccessary to obtain my finacial goals. I'd dive into the serious trade offs of recieving a higher education by pushing important lectures on effort, time managment and having a goal driven life style. More imporantly, I would have a deep discussion with my educational providers at the time. Asking them to make a better effort of explaining our choices after leaving high school and provide more awareness on how to get started with my higher educational goals. Just thinking about how different my life would be, if I could go back to my high school self, puts my mind at ease and a smile on my face.

mycah

If I could go back in time and talk to my high school self I would tell myself, "Mycah dont stop dreaming." I would remind my high school self that life is all about taking chances and being the best you can be. I would tell my high school self the same thing my teacher told me, and that is that you should never limit yourself. If you are going to go after a goal or if you have your mind set on something go all out for it. Go big or go home!. Because life goes by so fast and you dont want to waist any of it sitting on the couch. I would tell my highschool self to never settle and never get comfortable with where you are. Never stop improving and never give up on yourself.

Marissa

I spent three years of my life chasing the career that my family wanted me to. I was so afraid of being cut off from the family both emotionally and financially that I gave up on all of my own hopes, dreams, and ambitions in order to fit their mold of a “successful” career path. Only recently did I gain the courage to finally go after what I want; to pursue a career as a costume designer. I really wish I could have told the high school version of myself that yes, it is frightening as hell to go out on your own, but it is worth the sacrifice. I have never been this content, this happy with the path I am on in my life, and I really wish I would have started down it sooner.

The most frustrating thing about my campus is the parking situation. I pay over $300 for a parking pass, and there is NEVER anywhere to park. I regularlly have to leave for my classes an hour and a half early in order to ensure that I have enough time to drive around a wait for a parking spot to open up.

Very friendly group of people.

Very friendly group of people.

Dear High School Senior Self, If at all possible take more AP classes, and apply for more scholarships. College is expensive! Take thhose classes at city college that you were tinking about taking over the summer, it will be helpfu for you to get your GE requirements out of the way as soon as possible. Humboldt State was a good choice for you, you willl have no problem meeting new people and making friends. Just remember that it is very cold and rains a lot so dress appropriately. Don't worry about your friends who are going to city college after high school, going to a 4 year university is the right decision. Don't be too nervous starting your freshman year, you will have lots of fun, I promise. From, College Freshman Self

Kenna

Dear Kenna in Senior year, First do not take your eyes off the prize. Even if you change your mind on what you want to do, do not let anything or anyone get in the way of you succeeding. You are an intelligent girl. Making the transition into adult hood is not an easy task so take it slow. Do not let the idea of making new friends scare you, people are not that mean. Okay this is important: make time to study! Even if you seemed backed up with a lot, there is always time to study and trust me when you study it pays off. The classes do not wait for you to keep up so go to office hours of your professors often. It really is not that scary they are there to help you! No matter where you go to school next year remember these lessons because trust me, I know. Oh and budget your money smartly, do you really need that bag of gummy worms? You can do this. Love Your Future College Freshman Self

What I consider the worst thing at HSU is the amount of stairs you have to climb everyday, especially if you have an early class. The stairs help keepone in shape for sure, but waking up to four sets of stairs to get from the dorms to the university square is a little tiring.

The type of person that should attend Humbolst State University are people who love nature. The school is set in the redwood forest and is a great school for science majors. People who should apply should also not mind the rain as it rains most of the time. HSU is a great schoolfor those who want to escape the busy lifestyle of the city.

mauricio

The overall environment and the nice people in it. Just imagine walking in a town where just about everyone is nice. From the beautiful weather to the exotic forest humboldt really allows a person to enjoy themselves. Now something I would have to say stands out as being unique about my school is the stairs. There is no need to go to the gym because humboldt state university contains a lot of them and gives a person an overall workout from climbing them. Humboldt summing it all up is a very enjoyabe place to be.

I would tell myself to stay focused on my main goal and never give up. I learned a lot as I was growing up and some of it prepared me when I made that transition into adulthood. I would of done better in high school that way my gpa woud of been higher and it would of increased my chances of getting into more colleges. If I knew now what I knew then I would easily tell myslef to save my money instead of spending it on miscellaneous iteams to impress people in high school. I am glad I knew how much my tuition and housing was going to be but there was no one around to tell me how to spend my money when I got my refund check so i was going crazy buying all this unecessary stuff. If I would of saved some extra money when I was in high school when I spent all my refund check; I would of at least had some in my pocket instead of going broke. Life has a way of just throwing things at you when you least expect it and sometimes a person has to go with the flow.

If you plan on slacking off, not determined to go to class, or do your work then this is not the school for you. Humboldt takes their education seriously and even though the professor gets paid if a student does or does not show up to class it is best to show up. Yes there are going to be times when a student will feel under the weather and that is okay but they must make sure they email their proffesor and let them know. A person who is not serious about an education and their life should not come

Humboldt State University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.